Post Workout Nutrition Questions

Harry Manback

Harry Manback

Awards
  • Established
So I'm second guessing a couple of ways I go about things post workout. I've come up with two questions that I've been pondering.

1) I bring my Post-W drink with me to the gym. Should my post workout drink (60g waxy maize/10gBCAA) be taken in immediately after my last weight lifting set and prior to my cardio session or should I lift then do my cardio and then take in my post-W drink?

2) After conversation with my friend who is in the midst of a keto diet right now (perhaps biased), he says "what do you need energy for at night after you workout?" He knows I take in waxy maize immediately after I lift so I get my carb-up then. I get out of the gym at about 7:30/8 p.m. every night. Should I not have a red potato or whole wheat pasta with my chicken/steak dinner?

I know they are rather broad questions without knowing more of me or my goals. Basically I want to lean out a bit while trying to maintain/gain muscle at the same time. Opinions are welcomed.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
So I'm second guessing a couple of ways I go about things post workout. I've come up with two questions that I've been pondering.

1) I bring my Post-W drink with me to the gym. Should my post workout drink (60g waxy maize/10gBCAA) be taken in immediately after my last weight lifting set and prior to my cardio session or should I lift then do my cardio and then take in my post-W drink?

2) After conversation with my friend who is in the midst of a keto diet right now (perhaps biased), he says "what do you need energy for at night after you workout?" He knows I take in waxy maize immediately after I lift so I get my carb-up then. I get out of the gym at about 7:30/8 p.m. every night. Should I not have a red potato or whole wheat pasta with my chicken/steak dinner?

I know they are rather broad questions without knowing more of me or my goals. Basically I want to lean out a bit while trying to maintain/gain muscle at the same time. Opinions are welcomed.
Your post workout shake should also include whey, 30-50gs. Drink it after everything, you dont wanna be digesting a shake while doing cardio. ANd eating carbs with post workout meal with definitely help with keeping cortisol levels low and staying anabolic. Definitely eat carbs with that meal after working out, just not starches like potato/pasta. Instead have some carrots/tomato/brocolli.

Harry Manback

Harry Manback

Awards
  • Established
Excellent. I can't believe I have been ignorant to adding veggies in replacement of starches. Thanks for the wake up call.

My waxy maize/bcaa post workout is immediately after my last set. After my 10 minute drive home, I make an ATW whey isolate shake. I have been under the impression that waxy maize could not be combined with too much or it renders it useless, so to speak. Perhaps I am wrong, which is why I have second guessed myself.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
Excellent. I can't believe I have been ignorant to adding veggies in replacement of starches. Thanks for the wake up call.

My waxy maize/bcaa post workout is immediately after my last set. After my 10 minute drive home, I make an ATW whey isolate shake. I have been under the impression that waxy maize could not be combined with too much or it renders it useless, so to speak. Perhaps I am wrong, which is why I have second guessed myself.
Yeah a little bit of starch veg could be good with lunch if you are going to lift that night. You should definitely do whey with your carbs right after lifting. No need to wait.

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
I've been wanting to ask the same question regarding the timing of your post w/o drink, I read once in an article that you want to wait about 15 minutes before taking your post w/o drink the reason being that after your workout a lot of your blood is flowing in the target muscles you exercised and therefore there's less blood flowing near your stomach that is used to process your food intake, maybe someone can chime in on this to see if this though is correct or not!

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
You should definitely do whey with your carbs right after lifting. No need to wait.
The point of using WMS vs. dex/malto is because it passes through the stomach much quicker, taking whatever else with it. If you add a bunch of protein isolate, that will mostly negate the effects of using WMS.

I would do as you are doing... WMS + aminos PWO, then protein shake afterward. I'm not sure how long one should wait to take in protein. I've read anywhere from 30min to an hour.

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
I would do as you are doing... WMS + aminos PWO, then protein shake afterward. I'm not sure how long one should wait to take in protein. I've read anywhere from 30min to an hour.
I've added my Whey shake to my first PWO solid meal and noticing only good things. Especially no stomach issues that i get from time to time.

Recently i've been using Purple Wraath with added BCAA's and BA. Not being a big fan of pre mixed formulas i was surprised at how good its working. You've just put the idea in my head to add WMS to it.

ccapone1153

ccapone1153

Awards
  • Established
See the problem with these forums is every one gives different opinions of what they think is the best way to do it. the truth is there is no on set way, you sorta gotta play around with it and see what works the best for you.

Personally, i would have JUST the BCAAS right after training before cardio, than mix the waxy with whey right after cardio. then eat a food meal 1 - 1.5 hrs later. now since its going to be pretty late i would keep carbs stictly in the form of veggies if ur cutting. if ur goal is bulking than sure throw some starchy carbs in there.

ccapone1153

ccapone1153

Awards
  • Established
the problem with having BCAA's and waxy before cardio is that u want to deplete glycogen stores as much as possible before doing cardio to excellerate the fat burning process. This happens when you lift, u use the glycogen as strength. The waxy maze will help replenish the glycogen stores and this is obvously not ideal for fat burning because then u have to burn thru all those newly stored carbs before u get to the fat.

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
See the problem with these forums is every one gives different opinions of what they think is the best way to do it. the truth is there is no on set way, you sorta gotta play around with it and see what works the best for you.

Personally, i would have JUST the BCAAS right after training before cardio, than mix the waxy with whey right after cardio. then eat a food meal 1 - 1.5 hrs later. now since its going to be pretty late i would keep carbs stictly in the form of veggies if ur cutting. if ur goal is bulking than sure throw some starchy carbs in there.
I think it's a good idea to have some BCAA's before cardio, but why would you take WMS with whey? There is a reason not a single product (that I know of) that has WMS with whole proteins. It's usually WMS + amino acids.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think it's a good idea to have some BCAA's before cardio, but why would you take WMS with whey? There is a reason not a single product (that I know of) that has WMS with whole proteins. It's usually WMS + amino acids.
Finally, someone else who knows how to properly use WMS. I've been saying this for years: no complete, peptide-bound AA with WMS. It messes with the MW and osmolity and immensely slows the digestion. EAA and BCAA are ok to take with WMS.

With regards to the OP, I would (and this is exactly what I do) continue to use your current post-WO drink and then add a 40-50g protein shake ~30-45 minutes after finishing your WMS/BCAA drink. After that, it really is goal dependent. If cutting/recomping, I would eat a meal of steak or dark meat chicken along with 2-3 servings of vegetables (I like to have only 2 meals that are heavy on the carbs: breakfast and post-WO). If bulking/lean bulking, I would use some white meat fowl, any kind of fish, or a lean cut of steak with 1-2 servings of red potatoes (5.5 oz is a serving) along with the 2-3 servings of vegetables.

I wouldn't bring it to the gym; instead bring a glucose modulator and take that before you walk out the door. By the time you get home, you're ready to rock.

Aviad

Aviad

Board Sponsor
Awards
I love the point that ccapone1153 brought up that there is no set way. In bodybuilding, working or life for that matter there are very few absolutes. Of course you do your best to find out all the info you can to help achieve your goals but the best advice you can ever receive is from yourself. If something is working for you and it is producing good results continue to do just that...regardless of what the article you just raid entitled, "Post Workout Nutrition 101"

I take one dose of glycobol immediately following the workout and then 1/2 hour later take my meal. It will vary simply because of convenience, change of pace or what I am doing that day. I never consume large amounts of calories right when I am done working out as I have been told and have read your hormones are still fluctuating and need time to reset or calm down. Again, if that doesn't work for you then take them right after...you can find people who take them right after, you will find people who wait like I do and then eat....you will also find people who eat a regular whole food meal and have success. It is all about what works for you.

Last edited: