Just made the switch to water; Critique me plz!

Obsidi8n

Obsidi8n

Awards
So after drinking soda for the last 18 years (my entire life), I finally quit drinking soda, quit drinking caffeine, and drink water every meal every day!!

I'm at about 185 now with pretty cut arms, forearms, calves, and shoulders but my belly has got this bloated look to it ALWAYS.. if I eat ANYTHING, my belly swells up like a balloon and I think my chest has added a bit of fat to it because my pecs have become "jiggly" *cringe*

I have eaten awful my whole life.. fast food.. fried food.. anything with 100g of fat in a meal and i've probably eaten it twice over. I lost a lot of weight in the 10th grade by literally starving myself to 300 calories a day and it took two years for most of that to come back to me.

The lowest I got down to was about 137 and I weighed about 190. I'm now at about 185 with a mix of muscle and fat.. still not the look I want.

Can anyone give me a good list of foods to buy at the grocery store and to just eat those? I've been eating baked chicken, tomatos (with salt and pepper "bad??"), carrots (with salt "bad?"), and chips and salsa. I can't weight myself because my scale shorted it out due to water damage but I imagine i've lost a bit.

I also wanted to look into supplements. What would be some good "beginner" supplements for someone who just wants to get into shape and lose the belly (again.. :happysad:)

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
Im sure that diet and exercise advice will follow, I want you to do something different first. This will make you feel much better and definitely tighten your waist a little.

Back when I was starting college I was doing the same thing: soda and fast food all the time, diet was in shambles. This didnt last my whole life but I ate my fair share of s###. After a while I realized what I was doing and started to eat right/exercise. BUt for some reason no matter what I ate I was always feeling bloated like you, stomach swelling up after every meal. No matter how much Id go to the bathroom I could never get rid of this bloated feeling. So finally I said f### it Im gonna cleanse my colon and see if it feels any better. This particular cleanse wasnt harsh at all and bro, I completely lost the bloat, 5-7 lbs, and my stomach shrank to normal. As a matter of fact my bodyfat so already pretty low so pretty much right after I got the 6pack ive been rocking since.

I am in no way a representative of this company, just a big fan. They have all sorts of cleanses and help with diet too. I actually bought their "wellness" filter which is a brita alternative. I also got my chlorine filtered shower head through that site as well. The colon cleanse is called "oxypowder" and 1 course of it is all you need. I think its good for you to start with a colon cleanse because if its bloated/clogged, then you are not absorbing nutrients well and a diet/exercise program won't be as efficient. This made me feel like a million dollars and since you have been eating poorly for a long time, it will do the same for you. Disregard this advice if you want, but I think a cleanse first is exactly what you need. Combined with a good cleansing diet (apples,spinach n greens, water, apple cider vinegar, etc) this should really help you and get you ready for good lifting/good eating. The website is :

http://www.ghchealth.com/oxy-powder.php

global healing center I think its called. the instructions are all there. and this is the link to where the diet is:

http://www.ghchealth.com/7day-cleansing-diet.html

Let me know if you have any questions, but seriously if the bloating is bothering you this is the best thing out there. Fast food and other crap food doesnt digest well and just sits in your colon, like a brick. Im sure other people are going to post foods and supplements but this will give you a great foundation to build on.

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
my shopping list looks almost the same everytime i go to the store.
Chicken breasts (boneless skinless)
1 or 2 lean steaks (top cut or flank)
bananas
frozen blueberries
green apples (or red if you like)
necturanies (sometimes)
low carb wheat bread
natural PB
cottage cheese
1% milk (unless i'm bulking then whole)
cheese for sandwiches (sometimes)
turkey lunch meat (1 or 2 lbs. from the deli)
2 dozen eggs
plain yogert
almonds
peanuts
granola
oatmeal
i'm sure i'm forgetting something but that's the main parts. It's also the timing of the food that is very important too.

Obsidi8n

Obsidi8n

Awards
Im sure that diet and exercise advice will follow, I want you to do something different first. This will make you feel much better and definitely tighten your waist a little.

Back when I was starting college I was doing the same thing: soda and fast food all the time, diet was in shambles. This didnt last my whole life but I ate my fair share of s###. After a while I realized what I was doing and started to eat right/exercise. BUt for some reason no matter what I ate I was always feeling bloated like you, stomach swelling up after every meal. No matter how much Id go to the bathroom I could never get rid of this bloated feeling. So finally I said f### it Im gonna cleanse my colon and see if it feels any better. This particular cleanse wasnt harsh at all and bro, I completely lost the bloat, 5-7 lbs, and my stomach shrank to normal. As a matter of fact my bodyfat so already pretty low so pretty much right after I got the 6pack ive been rocking since.

I am in no way a representative of this company, just a big fan. They have all sorts of cleanses and help with diet too. I actually bought their "wellness" filter which is a brita alternative. I also got my chlorine filtered shower head through that site as well. The colon cleanse is called "oxypowder" and 1 course of it is all you need. I think its good for you to start with a colon cleanse because if its bloated/clogged, then you are not absorbing nutrients well and a diet/exercise program won't be as efficient. This made me feel like a million dollars and since you have been eating poorly for a long time, it will do the same for you. Disregard this advice if you want, but I think a cleanse first is exactly what you need. Combined with a good cleansing diet (apples,spinach n greens, water, apple cider vinegar, etc) this should really help you and get you ready for good lifting/good eating. The website is :

global healing center I think its called. the instructions are all there. and this is the link to where the diet is:

Let me know if you have any questions, but seriously if the bloating is bothering you this is the best thing out there. Fast food and other crap food doesnt digest well and just sits in your colon, like a brick. Im sure other people are going to post foods and supplements but this will give you a great foundation to build on.
I see.. I've read time and time again that colon cleanses are just garbage that is an alternative to medicine? Is this true? I do have a constantly bloated feeling although I've only been drinking straight water for 4 days I just hope it goes away soon. What I'm really getting at is I don't have enough money to pay for this product right now but I am going to look further into it and I will use the brand you suggested since you had success with it.

To the other poster -

I really appreciate that list! It's a definite start.. Anything on that list is healthy and good to eat correct?

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
I see.. I've read time and time again that colon cleanses are just garbage that is an alternative to medicine? Is this true? I do have a constantly bloated feeling although I've only been drinking straight water for 4 days I just hope it goes away soon. What I'm really getting at is I don't have enough money to pay for this product right now but I am going to look further into it and I will use the brand you suggested since you had success with it.

To the other poster -

I really appreciate that list! It's a definite start.. Anything on that list is healthy and good to eat correct?
Yea you see what happens is everyone jumps on the cleansing bandwagon and makes their own brand of colon cleanse. These are often just herbs that fill your colon until it purges everything. Obviously this isnt pleasant and it also messes with the natural environment of your stomach. The company I told you about uses a different approach. Its a type of magnesium that in combination with water literally melts everything in your colon. If you have been eating terribly for the past X many years, you definitely need to do this sooner or later. Once you get some money together you should absolutely get 1.

As far as food goes, my shopping is simple also:

omega3 eggs
100% eggwhites
organic oatmeal
pure squeezed orange + grapefruit juices
raw almonds,walnuts,pecans,pine nuts
blueberries/peaches/bananas/any fruit
organic chicken breasts
sirloin steaks
wild caught salmon
tomatoes/brocolli/baby carrots
spinach leaves to make salad
organic unrefined coconut oil (to cook with)
green tea leaves/camomile tea for night

There is more but thats a good start.

As far as supplements go, its good to invest in a good Whey Protein, make sure it is Whey isolate. Fish oil is another inexpensive and very helpful supplement. Start your diet off slowly and keep reading more. There is plenty of info all over this website.

Obsidi8n

Obsidi8n

Awards
Man I am feeling great.. Day 5 with just straight water.. it's about 3 o clock and I'm munching on some delicious chicken breasts with some BBQ SAUCE! =D Tonight I'm fixing a BIG salad with some carrots, tomatos, fresh lettuce, and some FAT FREE ITAlIAN!

I weight 180 now with a less bloated feeling and I FEEL GREAT! =D

I never knew how much soda made me sick and nasty feeling.. I think within two months, I'll be rocking the six pack I always wanted

THERE IS LIFE AFTER SODA!!!! =D

PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy

Awards
  • Established
Its a type of magnesium that in combination with water literally melts everything in your colon. If you have been eating terribly for the past X many years, you definitely need to do this sooner or later. Once you get some money together you should absolutely get 1.
A high dose of magnesium acts as a laxative in the colon, that's why quite a few pre w/o products (i.e. SuperDump 250) will put you on top of the porcelain goddess right after you take them.

gibsonj4

gibsonj4

Awards
  • Established
Correct.

As far as newbie supplements go, go with the staples:

-Fish oil
-Good Multi vitamin
-Protein
-FOOD

My grocery list (just went last night):

-2 dozen eggs
-1% cottage cheese
-Tuna (18 cans great snack low in calories high in protein)
-Bananas
-Oatmeal
-2% Milk (my fav)
-Lean beef burgers
-Vegetables (carrots, green beans, corn, etc)

I plan out my meals a day before and sometime prepare things a day in advance if I work the next day. Like, bake some chicken or make tuna salad for sandwiches to eat for a couple days. Other than the afformentioned colon cleanse, I would not take any other supplements if you are just getting the diet on track right now.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
Man I am feeling great.. Day 5 with just straight water.. it's about 3 o clock and I'm munching on some delicious chicken breasts with some BBQ SAUCE! =D Tonight I'm fixing a BIG salad with some carrots, tomatos, fresh lettuce, and some FAT FREE ITAlIAN!

I weight 180 now with a less bloated feeling and I FEEL GREAT! =D

I never knew how much soda made me sick and nasty feeling.. I think within two months, I'll be rocking the six pack I always wanted

THERE IS LIFE AFTER SODA!!!! =D

Glad to hear your feeling upbeat. Often enough, its the first few days that are the hardest, and it seems like you've blown through that with ease. Well done.

One thing is backwards here though in your post - you're consuming BBQ sauce, and avoiding fat (fat free Italian dressing). When fat loss is the primary goal, you should be avoiding refined sugars at all costs. BBQ sauce is loaded with such. And as for the fat - have the fat. Fat is fuel.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have eaten awful my whole life.. fast food.. fried food.. anything with 100g of fat in a meal and i've probably eaten it twice over. I lost a lot of weight in the 10th grade by literally starving myself to 300 calories a day and it took two years for most of that to come back to me.

The lowest I got down to was about 137 and I weighed about 190.
I'm now at about 185 with a mix of muscle and fat.. still not the look I want.
In here is your problem.

You lost all of the LBM you ever had by starving yourself. In the two years it took you to regain 53lbs, unless your diet was very good and your training even more exceptional, you simply gained back a majority of fat weight.

What you presently have is the skinny-fat physique. The majority of men and women today who have poor exercise disciplines who maintain their weight with calorie restriction are in this category. Unless you preserve or grow LBM with resistance exercise all one is doing is maintaining weight with fat and slowly loosing LBM.

The solution; eat right, train right and give yourself another two years.

There is no need for some complex diet and supplement regime - meat and vegetables and EFA's.

Obsidi8n

Obsidi8n

Awards
In here is your problem.

You lost all of the LBM you ever had by starving yourself. In the two years it took you to regain 53lbs, unless your diet was very good and your training even more exceptional, you simply gained back a majority of fat weight.

What you presently have is the skinny-fat physique. The majority of men and women today who have poor exercise disciplines who maintain their weight with calorie restriction are in this category. Unless you preserve or grow LBM with resistance exercise all one is doing is maintaining weight with fat and slowly loosing LBM.

The solution; eat right, train right and give yourself another two years.

There is no need for some complex diet and supplement regime - meat and vegetables and EFA's.
No, no..

I've been on the football, baseball, and basketball team since i lost that weight. I had to run miles everyday, and hit the weight room every day. The majority of my weight gain literally was a mix of muscle and fat (which came my twelth grade year when I had to have surgeries on my foot thereby missing an entire year of athletics)! I haven't been able to weigh myself but I've been guzzling water and eating as the best foods I can find (EVEN THOUGH I'M ON VACATION =( )

Just to note, I weighed a solid (solid as in decently toned and shirt-off awesomeness) 165 until I had my surgery which caused me to sit on my ass, drink soda, and eat anything I wanted.

Day 7 or 8 without soda! I'm starting to feel pretty confident and I definetly got a two-pack back.. I've been working out in the Sauna at our hotel and then jogging ~10 or 15 on the treadmill! I'll upload pic soon and see what you guys think I need to work on and where I'm at health wise.

Obsidi8n

Obsidi8n

Awards
Correct.

As far as newbie supplements go, go with the staples:

-Fish oil
-Good Multi vitamin
-Protein
-FOOD

My grocery list (just went last night):

-2 dozen eggs
-1% cottage cheese
-Tuna (18 cans great snack low in calories high in protein)
-Bananas
-Oatmeal
-2% Milk (my fav)
-Lean beef burgers
-Vegetables (carrots, green beans, corn, etc)

I plan out my meals a day before and sometime prepare things a day in advance if I work the next day. Like, bake some chicken or make tuna salad for sandwiches to eat for a couple days. Other than the afformentioned colon cleanse, I would not take any other supplements if you are just getting the diet on track right now.
Thanks man! When you say "good" Multivitamin.. What do you mean? :afro:

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
wanna get ripped?

clen + no carbs, lots of fats and protein

see you in 8 weeks.

gibsonj4

gibsonj4

Awards
  • Established
Thanks man! When you say "good" Multivitamin.. What do you mean? :afro:
Opitmen by Optimum Nutrition, Orange Triad by Controlled labs, GNC Mega Men. I'm not a fan of Kroger/Walgreens/Meijer etc multis because they usually are not time released and contain just enough or even sometimes less than 100% of some vitamins

Obsidi8n

Obsidi8n

Awards
wanna get ripped?

clen + no carbs, lots of fats and protein

see you in 8 weeks.
lol

I've done clen with super lame results (I was able to throw soup all over the table without even moving my hand, so thats a plus :laugh2:) but I still wasn't eating the best foods ever. When I get my diet in check, I'm going to take a cycle of clen/t3!

So far, I've lost 8 pounds. I'm at 177 now but still on vacation.. I'm moving off to college soon (college women, whats up?) where they have a 4 story gym THAT KICKS ASS!

Give me eight weeks, eating and working out like I am.. I hope by then, I'll be as bad ass as ever