splenda

Davidlee

How bad is a couple packs of splenda on my oatmeal? I mean I know it's supposed to have toxics in it and maybe even bew chlorinated.. But i mean for weight loss.. Like is it fattening? say.. 4 tiny packs of splenda in my oatmeal..?

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
try stevia if you want no calorie sweeteners.

but i mean, i dont see the harm in using splenda if you are already eating alot of carbs.

people usually shy away from artificial sweeteners when they are doing very low carb diets, which it doesnt sound like you are doing - eating oatmeal and all.

bubble boy

Awards
I use spleda too but I use it because I thought you didn't get the insulin spike the suger gives you. Is stevia just no calories or do you avoid the insulin spike as well?

Gator Alum 03

Gator Alum 03

Awards
  • Established
Go get "Truvia". It's Stevia, but it tastes like Sugar. Good ****!

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
If you have the money get stevia. Why eat something that's artificial, that your body might have trouble with. I can however understand if it's a money issue things like stevia are expensive. I use raw sugar as a sweetener.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I use spleda too but I use it because I thought you didn't get the insulin spike the suger gives you. Is stevia just no calories or do you avoid the insulin spike as well?
I have read Stevia does not effect insulin level. I even read some where it's good for your teeth, but I don't know how true that is. I wouldn't just flat out start brushing my teeth with it or anything lol.

illustrat

Awards
I know this is a weird first post, but for those of you who can't afford most of the goodies at natural foods stores, stevia comes in a powdered extract (you can look up the company sweet leaf, i know they have it).

It runs for about 8-9 dollars and has some 1000 uses out of the bottle. I personally think it's more like 500-700, but anyhow. Vs. the 8-9 dollar 100 pack (100 uses) just because it's a little easier to mix/comes in little packages.....the full extract is worth the buy. It's also available in liquid, but I cannot vouch for that one because I haven't tried it.

BabyHulk

BabyHulk

Awards
  • Established
Benefits for the money; I use stevia. It takes a little getting used to if you have been using other artificial sweeteners though. It has a mild aftertaste. But you get used to it.

hailrazor

Awards
Benefits for the money; I use stevia. It takes a little getting used to if you have been using other artificial sweeteners though. It has a mild aftertaste. But you get used to it.
stevia is great. it is the only natural sweetener which is actually good for you. no cals, no carbs, does not effect insulin at all and it's a lot sweeter than splenda so you don't need very much. you can put it in to your coffe or in oatmeal pancakes or for baking. there are actually stevia cook books, too.

splenda is supposedly not toxic to the body and has no cals either. although it's not toxic it is a health risk. it "attacks" the body's cells and makes the cells "hard" which means those cells will break easier and will not be as healthy. that eventually leads to bad health, bad skin (you get wrinkles earlier) and some other goodies. if you use splenda use it moderatly and try not to use it every day

JR07005

JR07005

Awards
Most artificial sweetners do cause an insulin spike. The two exceptions are Splenda (Sucralose) and Stevia.

FilipeBR

FilipeBR

Awards
I have a hard time sticking to artificial sweeteners in my coffee and foods, i just use regular sugar for now. I don't mind the taste in prepared foods though for example: Yogurt, low calorie jello and stuff like that. But on the morning coffee i think it just ruins it for me. I will try stevia since u guys have been recommending it

BigBeazy

BigBeazy

Awards
  • Established
I take splenda all the time with no real problem...

Only thing i have is that when i drink to much diet coke for a few days or so I crave chocolate, cake, anything sweet.

I know in Diet Coke, the artifficial sweetners In it trick your body to think its getting X ammount of sugar when its really getting none. Thats why I tend to crave sweets after drinking a ton of it.

salto571

salto571

Awards
Im sorry but I cant stand when people start talking about stevia like its better than splenda. Stevia tastes bitter and in hot foods it looses some of its sweetness. Splenda is 100% PERFECTLY FINE. Theres nothing wrong with it. In order for it to be released to the public, a food additive like splenda needs to be tested for safety and cannot under any testing environment cause cancer in any animal species in any dose. Splenda passed and was approved by the FDA and it tastes damn good. BUT if you want to go natural and forgo synthetic sugar, agave syrup is your best bet because it has great flavor and sweetening power, although it does have some calories

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Im sorry but I cant stand when people start talking about stevia like its better than splenda. Stevia tastes bitter and in hot foods it looses some of its sweetness. Splenda is 100% PERFECTLY FINE. Theres nothing wrong with it. In order for it to be released to the public, a food additive like splenda needs to be tested for safety and cannot under any testing environment cause cancer in any animal species in any dose. Splenda passed and was approved by the FDA and it tastes damn good. BUT if you want to go natural and forgo synthetic sugar, agave syrup is your best bet because it has great flavor and sweetening power, although it does have some calories
That's not true at all. Saccharin has been shown to have cancer correlations in lab rats, albeit in large doses. Also, just because splenda doesn't have links to cancer doesn't mean there aren't other adverse health effects from it.

Personally, I stay away from it because of the excessive chlorination.

WarMachine000

WarMachine000

Awards
  • Established
Has anyone researched what happens to one's ability to process natural sugars after extensive artificial sweeteners? Also, anyone tried honey as a sugar alternative? Both things are worth looking into.

fitnessbyalex

fitnessbyalex

Awards
I have read Stevia does not effect insulin level. I even read some where it's good for your teeth, but I don't know how true that is. I wouldn't just flat out start brushing my teeth with it or anything lol.
It is good for your teeth and blood sugar. It is alkaline compared to all artificial sweeteners which are quite acid-forming. Cinnamon + Stevia is my favorite addition to my unflavored whey, grits, oats, sweet potatoes etc!

-Alex

-2z-

Awards
  • Established
Splenda is sucralose, not saccharin.

as for chlorination:

"Dechlorination doesn't occur in vivo in any of the species studied, nor would it realistically be expected. People also need to understand that diatomic chlorine gas (Cl2) is not to be confused with a single chlorine atom, as it's paired with another, different atom. Just as an example, you do in fact have chlorine in the form of KCl and NaCl in your body right now.

Unfortunately, some people will take data from the effects known from Cl2 exposure and try to pass that off as "evidence" of what will happen if you consume sucralose, which is just plain nonsense."

Here's the rest of that article that should clear up a lot of the other myths about sucralose (splenda).
Long story short, it's completely safe.

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_consumer/the_truth_about_sucralose

fitnessbyalex

fitnessbyalex

Awards
Splenda is sucralose, not saccharin.

as for chlorination:

"Dechlorination doesn't occur in vivo in any of the species studied, nor would it realistically be expected. People also need to understand that diatomic chlorine gas (Cl2) is not to be confused with a single chlorine atom, as it's paired with another, different atom. Just as an example, you do in fact have chlorine in the form of KCl and NaCl in your body right now.

Unfortunately, some people will take data from the effects known from Cl2 exposure and try to pass that off as "evidence" of what will happen if you consume sucralose, which is just plain nonsense."

Here's the rest of that article that should clear up a lot of the other myths about sucralose (splenda).
Long story short, it's completely safe.

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_consumer/the_truth_about_sucralose
I think it is a bit bold to call something "completely safe." holistically speaking, and in my opinion, a naturally sweet ground leaf will be safer than something like sucralose.

GregW

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Sucralose, Stevia, Erthyritol are all good. It's nice to change things up every once in awhile.

WIULifter

WIULifter

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Should check out our Sweet Serum OP

Its on sale now for $12.76