splenda

  1. Davidlee
    Davidlee's Avatar

    splenda


    How bad is a couple packs of splenda on my oatmeal? I mean I know it's supposed to have toxics in it and maybe even bew chlorinated.. But i mean for weight loss.. Like is it fattening? say.. 4 tiny packs of splenda in my oatmeal..?


  2. try stevia if you want no calorie sweeteners.

    but i mean, i dont see the harm in using splenda if you are already eating alot of carbs.


    people usually shy away from artificial sweeteners when they are doing very low carb diets, which it doesnt sound like you are doing - eating oatmeal and all.
    For me, the action IS the juice.

  3. I use spleda too but I use it because I thought you didn't get the insulin spike the suger gives you. Is stevia just no calories or do you avoid the insulin spike as well?
    •   
       


  4. Go get "Truvia". It's Stevia, but it tastes like Sugar. Good ****!

  5. If you have the money get stevia. Why eat something that's artificial, that your body might have trouble with. I can however understand if it's a money issue things like stevia are expensive. I use raw sugar as a sweetener.

  6. Quote Originally Posted by bubble boy View Post
    I use spleda too but I use it because I thought you didn't get the insulin spike the suger gives you. Is stevia just no calories or do you avoid the insulin spike as well?
    I have read Stevia does not effect insulin level. I even read some where it's good for your teeth, but I don't know how true that is. I wouldn't just flat out start brushing my teeth with it or anything lol.

  7. I know this is a weird first post, but for those of you who can't afford most of the goodies at natural foods stores, stevia comes in a powdered extract (you can look up the company sweet leaf, i know they have it).

    It runs for about 8-9 dollars and has some 1000 uses out of the bottle. I personally think it's more like 500-700, but anyhow. Vs. the 8-9 dollar 100 pack (100 uses) just because it's a little easier to mix/comes in little packages.....the full extract is worth the buy. It's also available in liquid, but I cannot vouch for that one because I haven't tried it.

  8. Thanks for the link. I might pick some up for a friend that has diabetes, once I get some money.

  9. Benefits for the money; I use stevia. It takes a little getting used to if you have been using other artificial sweeteners though. It has a mild aftertaste. But you get used to it.

  10. Quote Originally Posted by BabyHulk View Post
    Benefits for the money; I use stevia. It takes a little getting used to if you have been using other artificial sweeteners though. It has a mild aftertaste. But you get used to it.
    stevia is great. it is the only natural sweetener which is actually good for you. no cals, no carbs, does not effect insulin at all and it's a lot sweeter than splenda so you don't need very much. you can put it in to your coffe or in oatmeal pancakes or for baking. there are actually stevia cook books, too.

    splenda is supposedly not toxic to the body and has no cals either. although it's not toxic it is a health risk. it "attacks" the body's cells and makes the cells "hard" which means those cells will break easier and will not be as healthy. that eventually leads to bad health, bad skin (you get wrinkles earlier) and some other goodies. if you use splenda use it moderatly and try not to use it every day

  11. Most artificial sweetners do cause an insulin spike. The two exceptions are Splenda (Sucralose) and Stevia.

  12. My endocrinologist has confirmed this to me

  13. I have a hard time sticking to artificial sweeteners in my coffee and foods, i just use regular sugar for now. I don't mind the taste in prepared foods though for example: Yogurt, low calorie jello and stuff like that. But on the morning coffee i think it just ruins it for me. I will try stevia since u guys have been recommending it

  14. I take splenda all the time with no real problem...

    Only thing i have is that when i drink to much diet coke for a few days or so I crave chocolate, cake, anything sweet.

    I know in Diet Coke, the artifficial sweetners In it trick your body to think its getting X ammount of sugar when its really getting none. Thats why I tend to crave sweets after drinking a ton of it.

  15. Im sorry but I cant stand when people start talking about stevia like its better than splenda. Stevia tastes bitter and in hot foods it looses some of its sweetness. Splenda is 100% PERFECTLY FINE. Theres nothing wrong with it. In order for it to be released to the public, a food additive like splenda needs to be tested for safety and cannot under any testing environment cause cancer in any animal species in any dose. Splenda passed and was approved by the FDA and it tastes damn good. BUT if you want to go natural and forgo synthetic sugar, agave syrup is your best bet because it has great flavor and sweetening power, although it does have some calories

  16. Quote Originally Posted by salto571 View Post
    Im sorry but I cant stand when people start talking about stevia like its better than splenda. Stevia tastes bitter and in hot foods it looses some of its sweetness. Splenda is 100% PERFECTLY FINE. Theres nothing wrong with it. In order for it to be released to the public, a food additive like splenda needs to be tested for safety and cannot under any testing environment cause cancer in any animal species in any dose. Splenda passed and was approved by the FDA and it tastes damn good. BUT if you want to go natural and forgo synthetic sugar, agave syrup is your best bet because it has great flavor and sweetening power, although it does have some calories
    That's not true at all. Saccharin has been shown to have cancer correlations in lab rats, albeit in large doses. Also, just because splenda doesn't have links to cancer doesn't mean there aren't other adverse health effects from it.

    Personally, I stay away from it because of the excessive chlorination.

  17. Has anyone researched what happens to one's ability to process natural sugars after extensive artificial sweeteners? Also, anyone tried honey as a sugar alternative? Both things are worth looking into.

  18. Quote Originally Posted by DerickVonD View Post
    I have read Stevia does not effect insulin level. I even read some where it's good for your teeth, but I don't know how true that is. I wouldn't just flat out start brushing my teeth with it or anything lol.
    It is good for your teeth and blood sugar. It is alkaline compared to all artificial sweeteners which are quite acid-forming. Cinnamon + Stevia is my favorite addition to my unflavored whey, grits, oats, sweet potatoes etc!

    -Alex

  19. Splenda is sucralose, not saccharin.

    as for chlorination:

    "Dechlorination doesn't occur in vivo in any of the species studied, nor would it realistically be expected. People also need to understand that diatomic chlorine gas (Cl2) is not to be confused with a single chlorine atom, as it's paired with another, different atom. Just as an example, you do in fact have chlorine in the form of KCl and NaCl in your body right now.

    Unfortunately, some people will take data from the effects known from Cl2 exposure and try to pass that off as "evidence" of what will happen if you consume sucralose, which is just plain nonsense."

    Here's the rest of that article that should clear up a lot of the other myths about sucralose (splenda).
    Long story short, it's completely safe.

    http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_a...bout_sucralose

  20. Quote Originally Posted by -2z- View Post
    Splenda is sucralose, not saccharin.

    as for chlorination:

    "Dechlorination doesn't occur in vivo in any of the species studied, nor would it realistically be expected. People also need to understand that diatomic chlorine gas (Cl2) is not to be confused with a single chlorine atom, as it's paired with another, different atom. Just as an example, you do in fact have chlorine in the form of KCl and NaCl in your body right now.

    Unfortunately, some people will take data from the effects known from Cl2 exposure and try to pass that off as "evidence" of what will happen if you consume sucralose, which is just plain nonsense."

    Here's the rest of that article that should clear up a lot of the other myths about sucralose (splenda).
    Long story short, it's completely safe.

    http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_a...bout_sucralose
    I think it is a bit bold to call something "completely safe." holistically speaking, and in my opinion, a naturally sweet ground leaf will be safer than something like sucralose.

  21. Sucralose, Stevia, Erthyritol are all good. It's nice to change things up every once in awhile.

  22. Should check out our Sweet Serum OP

    Its on sale now for $12.76

  23. splenda causes cancer if used on a daily basis
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. How bad is splenda?
    By DerickVonD in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-14-2011, 05:19 PM
  2. Splenda??
    By eneyman in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 04-08-2009, 10:56 PM
  3. is splenda safe?
    By TNASTYII in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-15-2008, 07:00 PM
  4. splenda?
    By wastedwhiteboy2 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-05-2006, 03:57 AM
  5. Splenda is EVERYWHERE
    By DieTrying in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-01-2004, 01:49 AM
Log in
Log in