Need help with gaining muscle - AnabolicMinds.com

Need help with gaining muscle

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  192 lbs.
    Answers

Need help with gaining muscle

Hello,
    First off, I am 19 years old and my goal is to gain as much muscle as possible, while maintaining bf% (preferably, losing bf%). I currently weigh 192 pounds and I would like to have my muscles bursting out of me like a bodybuilder's (I feel like I have a decent amount of "wet" muscle, but I want people to see my muscles!). My diet, overall, is very clean; in fact, you guys may have to be careful as to what you recommend that I eat, because I used to be overweight (248 pounds:ZERO Muscle) and I do not want to gain fat. Now, I know there will be some of you that will say you can always cut later...Well I say screw that! I want a solid food plan that I can follow to the letter. Please also include basics: Amount of protein, carbs, fats(I am very skeptical as to how much fat one needs when trying to gain muscle). Also, what kind of protein powder would you guys recommend?(How many protein shakes should I have a day? Any general advice, such as meal times, food recipes, protein brands, etc. would be greatly appreciate! Thanks!

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Answers

Seeing muscle is down to loosing body fat and trying to gain muscle whilest loosing bodyfat is very very difficult if not impossible.
    Whatever food you eat you will gain fat if you eat to much of it.You need to get the right amount of calorie intake for your metabolism and for the amount of training you are doing .You will not gain muscle simply by consuming protein , you have to stimulate fibre growth but your protein intake needs to be enough to support this growth.
    As for protein powder, whey is recommended directly after training along with simple carbs like dextrose.You could mix casein with your cereal in a morning as this protein is slow digesting and continues to feed the muscles over a longer period than whey.
    As for fats well these are important and you should be getting omega3 fats and monosaturated fats . examples fish oil . olive oil.
    My reply has been brief in comparison to what you have asked. , but there is so much knowledge out there (google) that you can spend hours doing your own research .A good place to start i suggest the articles on bodybuilding.com

3. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.
    Answers

how many days a week do you train?
    how long are those sessions on those days?
    what time do you work out? (morning or night)
    can you do cardio in the morning and lift in the evening?

•   

4. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  192 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by lennoxchi View Post
    how many days a week do you train?
    how long are those sessions on those days?
    what time do you work out? (morning or night)
    can you do cardio in the morning and lift in the evening?
    I train 3-4 days a week.
    Monday-chest and triceps
    Tuesday-rest or abs
    Wednesday-biceps and forearms
    Thursday-rest or abs
    Friday-rest or abs
    Saturday-chest and triceps
    Sunday-rest or abs
    Workouts usually last 30-40 minutes. I prefer to workout around 3:00 in the afternoon. I could do cardio, but I feel like all I need is a clean, high protein diet to help me gain muscle. I think the fat will slowly dissipate as I gain more lean muscle. However, I like walking on a treadmill on max incline at a moderate walking pace for about 20 minutes.
    My workout regimen may fluctuate, it depends on how I'm feeling.

My main problem IMO is getting 200 grams of protein or more a day. I need someone to help give me a diet plan that I can follow. Anything, would be helpful i.e. What should I eat for breakfast? How many hours between each meal? If I just had lunch, when should I have a snack? I am really bad with coming up with my own ideas of what to eat. Here are some things that I eat:Jennie-O ground turkey, apple with cottage cheese, oatmeal, chicken breast, lactaid brand fat free milk, broccoli, mixed vegetables, fish, etc. As for vitamins and all that, I take a centrum complete and a flaxseed oil pill.

Please give me some advice that will help me meet the 200-250 grams of protein everyday

5. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  270 lbs.
    Answers

was it an accident there is no leg day in your training split? i assume you left that out on accident? if not, better get a leg day in there.. as far as a diet, you're 19. your natural test production is at full steam.. some creatine, and protein powder is really all you need.. sure you could add in some other supps., but save the money and buy some groceries. getting 200 gr. protein shouldn't be that tough. at 19, and training regularly, being around 190lbs. shoot for around 250 gr. protein/day. that should be relatively easy, if you eat 6-7 times a day, which you should be doing, at 6 meals, 40 gr. protein per meal, you are at 240 gr. right there.. don't over think your diet. you are young, get your protein in, don't go crazy on sugary foods and junk, avoid deep fried foods and saturated fats, and just train balls out. don't get caught up in the party scene, get plenty of rest and you will grow like a weed.

6. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixGamer View Post
    Hello,
    First off, I am 19 years old and my goal is to gain as much muscle as possible, while maintaining bf% (preferably, losing bf%).
    I train 3-4 days a week.
    Monday-chest and triceps
    Tuesday-rest or abs
    Wednesday-biceps and forearms
    Thursday-rest or abs
    Friday-rest or abs
    Saturday-chest and triceps
    Sunday-rest or abs

My main problem IMO is getting 200 grams of protein or more a day.
    i suspect your main problem is the lack of a leg or back day. if you're not working out 3/4 your body what do you expect to happen? your body grows (or tries to grow) proportionately.

that is to say you won't get maximal chest development without a strong back. likewise, your upper body will only grow so much without adequate leg work, notwithstanding the incredible test release your testes produce when doing squats/deads with a heavy load. you're routine is what is selling yourself short, not your diet. though your diet may need tweaking as well.

7. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  192 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by suncloud View Post
    i suspect your main problem is the lack of a leg or back day. if you're not working out 3/4 your body what do you expect to happen? your body grows (or tries to grow) proportionately.

that is to say you won't get maximal chest development without a strong back. likewise, your upper body will only grow so much without adequate leg work, notwithstanding the incredible test release your testes produce when doing squats/deads with a heavy load. you're routine is what is selling yourself short, not your diet. though your diet may need tweaking as well.
    I am not really sure what exercises to do for leg and back. What do you suggest I do? Should I do leg and back on the same day? If I do back, do you recommend I work another body part also? Please give me some tips i.e. number of sets, reps, etc. Thanks.

8. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  192 lbs.
    Answers

One quick thing. I have tried doing squats before, but I am either incredibly weak or I am not doing it correctly. Every time I would try doing a set with the slightest bit of weight, I would feel as if I could not do more than a few reps. I would love to do some type of squat because I know that it is a really good exercise. Also, any tips for doing a deadlift? How much weight should I be lifting? Thanks.

9. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Answers

I am not really sure what exercises to do for leg and back. What do you suggest I do? Should I do leg and back on the same day? If I do back, do you recommend I work another body part also? Please give me some tips i.e. number of sets, reps, etc. Thanks.
    i would pair back with your bicep workout. something like :
    chins/pullups
    deadlifts
    shrugs
    t-bar rows
    then whatever biceps you can do after those chins...
    3-4 sets of 8-12 reps are best for mass.

* i also add rear delts on back/bi day, (face pulls), and throw front and mid delts on chest/tri day. its entirely up to you on how you want to approach your shoulders though.

One quick thing. I have tried doing squats before, but I am either incredibly weak or I am not doing it correctly. Every time I would try doing a set with the slightest bit of weight, I would feel as if I could not do more than a few reps. I would love to do some type of squat because I know that it is a really good exercise. Also, any tips for doing a deadlift? How much weight should I be lifting? Thanks.
    practice doing squats with the bar. or do box squats. find a big guy at your gym, and tell him you need to start doing squats, can he critique you. he should be able to make sure your knees aren't going forward beyond your toes, and you're getting close to parallel. squats are very hard, and don't worry about the weight you're using, worry that you're progressing. my first year working out i didn't do legs, and had crappy gains as a result. after adding them in, i really started making the progress that i wanted. i was squatting 95 pounds at the time, and man it was brutal. it doesn't matter how much weight you're doing, just that you're pushing yourself. the big weights will come with time.

deads are similar in this aspect. i started doing deads with 135 - but it doesn't matter how much weight you do, rather that you keep progressing.

one trick that worked well for me in the past, is to work my way up to 10 reps, then add some weight (5'ers on each side), and do 6 reps. then each day at the gym, try to get one more rep. once i hit 10 reps, i'd add some weight and shoot for 6 reps.....

gotta run to class soon, hope i addressed this issue correctly. if you have any questions, post it in this thread, and i'll be glad to help you out when i get back.

-suncloud.

10. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  192 lbs.
    Answers

To suncloud or others that want to give advice

i would pair back with your bicep workout. something like :
    chins/pullups
    deadlifts
    shrugs
    t-bar rows
    then whatever biceps you can do after those chins...
    3-4 sets of 8-12 reps are best for mass.

* i also add rear delts on back/bi day, (face pulls), and throw front and mid delts on chest/tri day. its entirely up to you on how you want to approach your shoulders though.

practice doing squats with the bar. or do box squats. find a big guy at your gym, and tell him you need to start doing squats, can he critique you. he should be able to make sure your knees aren't going forward beyond your toes, and you're getting close to parallel. squats are very hard, and don't worry about the weight you're using, worry that you're progressing. my first year working out i didn't do legs, and had crappy gains as a result. after adding them in, i really started making the progress that i wanted. i was squatting 95 pounds at the time, and man it was brutal. it doesn't matter how much weight you're doing, just that you're pushing yourself. the big weights will come with time.

deads are similar in this aspect. i started doing deads with 135 - but it doesn't matter how much weight you do, rather that you keep progressing.

one trick that worked well for me in the past, is to work my way up to 10 reps, then add some weight (5'ers on each side), and do 6 reps. then each day at the gym, try to get one more rep. once i hit 10 reps, i'd add some weight and shoot for 6 reps.....

gotta run to class soon, hope i addressed this issue correctly. if you have any questions, post it in this thread, and i'll be glad to help you out when i get back.

-suncloud.
    Thanks for the tips suncloud. I'm not really good with bodybuilding lingo yet. Do you think you can elaborate on what you mean by adding rear delts/front and mid delts on chest/tri day? And when you say it's up to me on how I approach my shoulders, do you mean I should add a workout day for shoulders? Sorry, I am a bit confused

So, if I were to start doing deadlifts, (which is a back exercise) I guess I would be adding other back exercises for that workout day, right? What other back exercises do you recommend? Should I do only back exercises that day or what other body part should I work, legs? I workout in my garage so I am not sure what exercises I can do for my legs, any ideas? Also, for deadlifts how many sets should I do? Thanks!

11. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Answers

Thanks for the tips suncloud. I'm not really good with bodybuilding lingo yet. Do you think you can elaborate on what you mean by adding rear delts/front and mid delts on chest/tri day? And when you say it's up to me on how I approach my shoulders, do you mean I should add a workout day for shoulders? Sorry, I am a bit confused
    you have the option of working your shoulders by themselves, or adding part of your shoulders to chest/tri day, and the other part of your shoulders on back/bi day. basically, those parts of the shoulder are already being used as secondary muscles on those days, so (in my opinion) you might as well train those parts, since they've already gotten a warmup set.

So, if I were to start doing deadlifts, (which is a back exercise) I guess I would be adding other back exercises for that workout day, right? What other back exercises do you recommend? Should I do only back exercises that day or what other body part should I work, legs? I workout in my garage so I am not sure what exercises I can do for my legs, any ideas? Also, for deadlifts how many sets should I do? Thanks!
    man, now we're getting somewhere. you work out in your garage then? what kind of machine/freeweights do you have available? this will help tell me what kinds of exercises you will be able to do.

with regards to deadlifts, i do one set, after working up to my heavy set.

as far as your legs go, squats and stiff-legged deadlifts (a hamstring exercise) may be the only two exercises possible besides maybe lunges.

again, if you can give me a basic rundown of what you have onhand, i will attempt to design a routine for you.

12. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  192 lbs.
    Answers

To suncloud

Well, in my garage I have a bench, pull up bar, dip bar, ez curl barbell, straight barbell, weights (ranging from 5ers to 25ers), dumbbells (ranging from 10lbs to 25lbs, although I do have one 40lb dumbell and a dumbell that I can modify the amount of weight on, so I could make that one 40lb also and have two 40lb dumbells. Ummm... I thinks that's it.

13. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Answers

Well, in my garage I have a bench, pull up bar, dip bar, ez curl barbell, straight barbell, weights (ranging from 5ers to 25ers), dumbbells (ranging from 10lbs to 25lbs, although I do have one 40lb dumbell and a dumbell that I can modify the amount of weight on, so I could make that one 40lb also and have two 40lb dumbells. Ummm... I thinks that's it.
    you might be stuck for cash -i dont know but theres more advantages to do your training in a gym , than in your garage. You can get help from the instructor. you can ask someone to spot you and it becomes a social thing so you can exchange ideas , talk supplements , or maybe just about the weather but it becomes somewhere to look forward to . I think training at home you have to be very singleminded and you dont always push yourself as much as you would with someone to support you.
    So to sum up , id join a gym , have an introductory chat with the instructor , tell him /her your goals, what you want to acheive, where you want to be say in 6 months time . a programme will be written out for you , youll get shown around, proper instruction in how to use the equipment, guidance when it comes to nutrition and youll have someone you can fall back on face to face.
    As in The UK there are gyms to suit all pockets , so look out for one you can afford and has good feedback (ymca?)

In my view youll get much more benefit from doing that , than training at home

14. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Answers

okay, so we're looking at no leg machine setups, and no squat racks. basically that means you've got to lift the weights up to squat them. looks like we can work with this.

i'm going to write a list of exercises, and we'll figure this out.
    back - pullups or chins
    back - deadlifts
    back - bent over rows
    back - shrugs
    biceps - hammer curls
    biceps - barbell curls (wide grip)
    chest - bench press
    chest - incline DB bench (or barbell)
    chest - DB flyes
    forearms - pinwheel curls
    forearms - wrist curls
    shoulders (rear) - bent over DB raises
    shoulders (front) - front DB raises
    shoulders (middle) - wide grip upright rows
    triceps - close grip bench
    triceps - dips (you can weight these if needed by holding a DB with your ankles)
    triceps - reverse grip EZ bar skullcrushers
    abs - ? whatever your routine is. i suck at abs
    legs - front squats
    legs - stiff legged deadlifts
    legs - lunges
    legs - calf raises while holding weight...

now, those are the exercises (there are many more) that you can do and get a great workout from. now we have to figure out your split.

you have basically 4 options for training style, though you could alter the following list a little bit for more variety. secondary muscles shouldn't be trained the next day, so there's very few ways of doing this : for example, if you train chest, you shouldn't train tri's or front/mid delts the next day, because you won't be able to use maximal weight. same with back, biceps and rear delts. a great example of this, is do chinups (back exercise) till failure and see what kind of pump your biceps get. anyways, on to the list.

1:
    chest/back
    legs/forearms
    bi's/tri's
    shoulders/abs

2:
    chest/tri's/front and middle delts
    back/bi's/rear delts
    legs/forearms
    abs

3:
    chest/tri's
    back/bi's
    legs/abs
    shoulders/forearms

4:
    chest/tri's
    back/bi's
    legs/forearms
    shoulders/abs

again, you could tweak the 4 days keeping in mind secondary muscles, and not to use them for the following days workout.

see first list, grab some of those exercises, plug them in to appropriate days, and have fun. of course there are other exercises you can do, the list is not cut and dry, but it should be enough exercises for you to make major progress.

* i'm really stressed today, so hopefully i explained this properly and stuff. any other questions i'll be glad to answer.

15. jim623

okay, so we're looking at no leg machine setups, and no squat racks. basically that means you've got to lift the weights up to squat them. looks like we can work with this.

i'm going to write a list of exercises, and we'll figure this out.
    back - pullups or chins
    back - deadlifts
    back - bent over rows
    back - shrugs
    biceps - hammer curls
    biceps - barbell curls (wide grip)
    chest - bench press
    chest - incline DB bench (or barbell)
    chest - DB flyes
    forearms - pinwheel curls
    forearms - wrist curls
    shoulders (rear) - bent over DB raises
    shoulders (front) - front DB raises
    shoulders (middle) - wide grip upright rows
    triceps - close grip bench
    triceps - dips (you can weight these if needed by holding a DB with your ankles)
    triceps - reverse grip EZ bar skullcrushers
    abs - ? whatever your routine is. i suck at abs
    legs - front squats
    legs - stiff legged deadlifts
    legs - lunges
    legs - calf raises while holding weight...

now, those are the exercises (there are many more) that you can do and get a great workout from. now we have to figure out your split.

you have basically 4 options for training style, though you could alter the following list a little bit for more variety. secondary muscles shouldn't be trained the next day, so there's very few ways of doing this : for example, if you train chest, you shouldn't train tri's or front/mid delts the next day, because you won't be able to use maximal weight. same with back, biceps and rear delts. a great example of this, is do chinups (back exercise) till failure and see what kind of pump your biceps get. anyways, no to the list.

1:
    chest/back
    legs/forearms
    bi's/tri's
    shoulders/abs

2:
    chest/tri's/front and middle delts
    back/bi's/rear delts
    legs/forearms
    abs

3:
    chest/tri's
    back/bi's
    legs/abs
    shoulders/forearms

4:
    chest/tri's
    back/bi's
    legs/forearms
    shoulders/abs

again, you could tweak the 4 days keeping in mind secondary muscles, and not to use them for the following days workout.

see first list, grab some of those exercises, plug them in to appropriate days, and have fun. of course there are other exercises you can do, the list is not cut and dry, but it should be enough exercises for you to make major progress.

* i'm really stressed today, so hopefully i explained this properly and stuff. any other questions i'll be glad to answer.
    Very nice Suncloud. A well layed out program for the garage.

You can add in some DB pullovers for chest, and some seated DB extentions for tirceps.

If it helps at all, I used to sit on the head of the bench to get the bar on my shoulders then stand for squats. The hard part was getting it back to the rack once your legs were burnt out.
    Same can be done to do standing calf raises.

16. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Answers

ohh, DB pullovers! i forgot this archaic beast. i like those a lot.

17. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  192 lbs.
    Answers

Thanks suncloud! Just one quick question. When you say I have four different options for training style, let's say I chose option four. Do you mean on monday, I do chest and tri's, then Tuesday,back and bi's, then Wednesday legs and forearms, then Thursday, shoulders and abs? Or, should I take a rest day in between each one, for example:Monday-chest and tri's, then Tuesday-Rest Day, then Wednesday-legs and forearms, then Thursday-Rest Day, etc.?

18. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Answers

you can do them MTWTh, or MTThF.

19. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  192 lbs.
    Answers

Hmmm...

you can do them MTWTh, or MTThF.
    Then what would I do on Saturday and Sunday?

20. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Answers

rest! that's when you grow

21. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  192 lbs.
    Answers

Okay, I just wanted to make sure. Thank you for all the help that you have been giving me suncloud, I really appreciate it.

22. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  192 lbs.
    Answers

Quick question: I thought shrugs worked the traps, not back, or is it done a certain way so that it can target the back? Thanks.

23. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Answers

shrugs target traps, you're right. its your choice if you want to train it with shoulders or with back. i generally do them with back, as deadlifts are pretty nasty on traps. if they feel 100% on shoulder day, feel free to hit them again.

24. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Answers

ohh, DB pullovers! i forgot this archaic beast. i like those a lot.
    this inadvertently turned into a training forum topic
    and about the above^^
    i know this exercise works both lats and chest, which were you advising it for?

25. Senior Member
    Answers

pullovers are extremely easy to have bad form with.

make sure you have your form down with lower weight.
    For me, the action IS the juice.

•   

Similar Forum Threads

1. gaining muscle/losing fat
    By manosduras in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-20-2010, 09:55 PM
  2. Gaining a little muscle with anavar and the PCT?
    By guerrero514 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-08-2010, 06:07 PM
  3. muscle gaining supplement
    By ehs in forum Supplements
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-21-2009, 09:48 AM
  4. Gaining muscle while losing fat
    By savagery in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 05-03-2009, 11:12 PM
  5. gaining muscle from PH's while cutting?
    By JayRock in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-28-2007, 12:22 PM