best diet for me?

Sinon

Sinon

Awards
Im 21, 5 11, and about 175 pounds now. I quit smoking about 2 months ago and im starting to notice fat gain. I work out 4 to 5 times a week and practice muay thai twice a week. I don't do any cardio outside of muay thai training. Anyone have any suggestions of a good diet that will keep me growing, without the fat I've been gaining? Also I can't cut out carbs completely due to lack of energy in class.

Im taking

Prime
Multi
Fish oil
Whey
Cissus
Zma
Melatonin
5 htp

Any suggestions?

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
What is your typical daily diet? You need to get that in check first. Post it up so we can check it over.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
cut out the melatonin, your body will become dependant on it

Sinon

Sinon

Awards
Right down my typical day is

Wake up- 1 scoop whey w water
30 minutes later-bowl of special k high protein cereal with milk

Few hours later-10 chicken wings, no sauce no skin.

Few slices of thin crust ham and pineapple pizza.

Snacks-vienna sausages, yogurt, chocolate milk, chicken breast

Dinner-chick fil a cool wrap, coke zero.

Post workout-35 grams whey, 40 grams wazy maize, cissus.

Before bed-35 grams whey/casein

This is a normal day. I work almost every day. If im training extra hard ill eat more carbs. Sometimes I wake up early and eat scrambled eggs and toast. I also take prime with every bigger meal. Multi at morning and before bed. Fish oil with every meal. Cissus only with post wo shake. Zma and 5 htp before bed. I don't have much time to cook honestly, so anything I eat has to be able to be made fast, or at work. Im a manager at papa johns. I close every night.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
no wonder you aren't making progress like you want it's because your food choices kind of suck to be blunt.

Drop the wings, drop the pizza, vienna sausages, chick filet, choc milk. You can't cut out carbs you say? It's because the carbs you eat are not that good, so you have sugar crashes from white processed flour in all of them

Put the search button to use, check some of the posts I have made for a basic beginners nutrition game plan. You need to learn to buy raw food and cook it yourself and quit buying quick and easy stuff. That crap will never help you get lean. Take the money you save from not smoking, and buy some real food, the fresher the better. Chicken breast, lean beef, eggs, whole turkey breast, not lunch or deli turkey meat, fresh fruit and veggies, or at least frozen, not canned. The greener the veggies the better.

When you start eating real food, your energy levels will start to get better during the day.

ccapone1153

ccapone1153

Awards
  • Established
ur diet blows.

u say you dont have time to cook. Make the time to cook. Everyone is busy but if your serious its a nessessity. Sucks, but its definately the most important step.

Sinon

Sinon

Awards
Damn. Lol I suck at life. No wonder I've been 170 for a good 7 months.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
Fix all your meals for your day prior to going to work, and get some tupperware containers. Throw them in the fridge at work and nuke 'em when ready to eat. Papa Johns food is terrible if you want to get in shape. You might be 170lbs, but I will assume it's a pretty sloppy 170. You say you close every night, do you work all day every day? They aren't open that long. Just quit being lazy about the food if you are serious. It's not hard really.

I can cook 3lbs of baked chicken breast 40 mins tops, including trimming fat prior to cooking. If I pack 4oz. per meal, I typically eat it 3 meals a day. That gives you 12 meals. Divide accordingly for how much you need. I grill about 3lbs of lean beef, sirloin, top round steak, I splurged and had 2 lbs of filet last week. Leave the beef fairly pink, more than you would typically eat it off the grill. SO whenyou nuke it, it turns the right shade of pink instead of turning into jerkey. 3-4 days worth for me. I cooked 2 lbs of lean ground turkey last night, 20 minutes tops. Cook in enough bulk to last a couple days. I like to keep 2 kinds of meat cooked at all times. Some like to cook a weeks worth and divide it up and freeze it. I just cook enough and kepe in fridge. Eggs take all of 5 mins to cook and eat. Oatmeal or a healthy cold cereal, like Kashi or ezekial, 5 mins to fix and eat. I get byrd's eye frozen bags of broccoli. 1 per day for me, so the first thing I do is sling a bag in microwave for 5:30, it cooks while I get out my bowls, make some protein sludge, get out my diet log pad. Divide it into 3 bowls for work, since I eat 3 times in 8 hr work shift. Add 4oz of meat of choice, add 1T EVOO since on CKD, add 1oz almonds to a baggy, through my sludge and 3 bowls I just made into cooler, add ice pack, toss in vitamin case, grab my bottle of xtend and vaso charge to drink on the way to gym before work. Oh yeah, I get up at 5am to fix mine and my wife's lunch boxes so I am out by 6am. Gym until 730am, shower work by 8. Sludge at 8, first meal at 10am, then every 3 hrs after. It's really not hard, you just have to make a decision to quit being lazy. Everyone wants to not be lazy and out of shape, but very few actually MAKE THE DECISION to do what it takes.

Not trying to hammer you too bad, just suck it up. It will take some work to get into the hang of it, but you will be able to fix your meals and know what you are eating calorie wise by heart before you know it. Then it becomes less tedious.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
Bro I thought my diet was crazy but you are just a dietary beast

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
at least I am M-F, sat is carb up right now, so it's a free for all. Sunday is usually trying to get back on the horse for monday.

Sinon

Sinon

Awards
Honestly, I think im about 14 percent bf. At one time I was 200 pounds, but I lost a lot of weight. I got a decent amount of mass, but my fat is around my belly. I went shopping today. I got chicken breast, brussel sprouts, wheat bread and natty peanut butter. Is canned spinach still good? The popeyes version is tasty. I can eat it out of the can.

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
honestly, there are SO many ways to diet out there its ridiculous.

i was just having a discussion about that with my brother. how everyone on the planet just looks at getting fit as '' eat good, and exercise'' but there really are alot of different ways to manipulate a diet.

as long as you go full steam in one direction with 1 diet, that is. if you start mixing and matching you will see some bad results quickly.

look at what foods/nutrients do

then look at what you want to do

and the choice will be clear as to what to eat and when.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
honestly, there are SO many ways to diet out there its ridiculous.

i was just having a discussion about that with my brother. how everyone on the planet just looks at getting fit as '' eat good, and exercise'' but there really are alot of different ways to manipulate a diet.

as long as you go full steam in one direction with 1 diet, that is. if you start mixing and matching you will see some bad results quickly.

look at what foods/nutrients do

then look at what you want to do

and the choice will be clear as to what to eat and when.
i think for him a TKD type style would be pretty decent,

work ur carbs around your workout and no more then 3 meals with carbs in it, the rest with protein and fat.

if you feel thats not helping you adjust from there, but thats a good place to start,

yhou need to evaluate food choices, ones with quality nutritional value,

TRY and have Grains with complete proteins as your carbs, if not i would say best choices are oats, brown rice , and sweet potato.

as your fats i would opt for Mac nuts walnuts and almonds coconut oil and EVOO

of course whole eggs as well,

take from there...

andrew732

andrew732

Awards
  • Established
yeah bro, your diet is whack, better start putting more nutrition into your system.

andrew732

andrew732

Awards
  • Established
Damn Andrew, how'd yall get those abs in the avatar!?
LOL, the funny thing is this an old pic, where I was BLOATED after Thanksgiving dinner, and now I am 2-3%bf lower LOL:147:

andrew732

andrew732

Awards
  • Established
Yeah man, you look below 7% now.
Thanks bro, eating right, training hard, good ol gh releasers, and overall understanding of the body help me to complete a good CUT.:afro:

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
Honestly, I think im about 14 percent bf. At one time I was 200 pounds, but I lost a lot of weight. I got a decent amount of mass, but my fat is around my belly. I went shopping today. I got chicken breast, brussel sprouts, wheat bread and natty peanut butter. Is canned spinach still good? The popeyes version is tasty. I can eat it out of the can.
Really canned anything isn't the best choice. Too much sodium and preservatives, that's why it has a rediculous shelf life. Get raw spinach in bulk and steam it up if you like it that way. I don't so I get baby spinach leaves and use that in my salad instead of regular lettuce. The only real thing I eat in a can is black or brown beans, and I rinse them off well to get as much extra sodium and crap off.

ccapone1153

ccapone1153

Awards
  • Established
TRY and have Grains with complete proteins as your carbs, if not i would say best choices are oats, brown rice , and sweet potato.

Those are not complete protein sources. they are missing the ESSENTIAL amino acids to make it complete.

ccapone1153

ccapone1153

Awards
  • Established
Primary sources of complete proteins: meats, seafood, and eggs.

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
dairy too.

and capone, he worded it weird but im pretty sure he meant have <Grains As your Carbs> WITH your complete protein sources. ( hopefully what he meant)

actually, having read it again, i think he probably meant that some grains are complete protein sources. which is wrong.

so you were right.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I know those aren't I was giving examples if he couldn't get the buckwheat amaranth or quinoa. Bc those can be tricky to get right and cook especially quinoa

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Actually quinoa and amaranth and buckwheat ARE complete protein sources

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
thats awesome and all but hes 21. hes not gonna go buy quinoa and buckwheat and **** and cook it.

the guy eats nothing but fast food and you think hes gonna turn into martha stewart?

baby steps.

boil chicken breasts from walmart

baked potatoes in the microwave for 5 minutes

boil spaghetti for 7 minutes

picante sauce, salmon cans, tuna cans, whole wheat bread, etc

coming up with fancy stuff to look cool isnt going to help a papa johns manager that eats like sh**

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Really canned anything isn't the best choice. Too much sodium and preservatives, that's why it has a rediculous shelf life. Get raw spinach in bulk and steam it up if you like it that way. I don't so I get baby spinach leaves and use that in my salad instead of regular lettuce. The only real thing I eat in a can is black or brown beans, and I rinse them off well to get as much extra sodium and crap off.
I do not know what everyones problem with sodium is. If you don't have high blood pressure, and are drinking enough fluids sodium is not really a major concern. Even with the high blood pressure excessive carbs are more the culprit than sodium.

thats awesome and all but hes 21. hes not gonna go buy quinoa and buckwheat and **** and cook it.

the guy eats nothing but fast food and you think hes gonna turn into martha stewart?

baby steps.

boil chicken breasts from walmart

baked potatoes in the microwave for 5 minutes

boil spaghetti for 7 minutes

picante sauce, salmon cans, tuna cans, whole wheat bread, etc

coming up with fancy stuff to look cool isnt going to help a papa johns manager that eats like sh**

AMEN to simplicity. YOu can also make yourself a couple pounds of chicken breast at the begininning of the week and pull it out as needed. Get the large smoked turkey breasts and cut into portions for you. Protein shake, and a hand full of nuts. Active LifeStyle hot cereal has a nice mix of complex carbs, fiber, and healthy fats and can be made with hot tap water. Use cans of tuna, salmon, or chicken breasts to make life easier on you when you need it. I keep all of these items along with some ranch style beans in my desk at work. I have big bowls for the microwave and get this ready made seasoning like taco seasoning, blackened seasoning, lemon pepper. When I forget to bring lunch I dive into my drawer at some seasoning to whatever meat in a can I want and heat it up often I put 2 cans of tuna in with a can of beans and some blackened seasoning for a good high fiber, complex carb, and protein meal. Keep it as simple as you need it to be to make it doable for you. YOu can add all the other stuff in as you make the new way of eating a lifestyle change. Then when you have sought out the knowledge on your own and understand what is going on with nutrition you can make some other changes or pay someone to make up a meal plan for you... However just getting started at eating right, my suggestion is don't make it so hard it is easy to want to say screw it.

ccapone1153

ccapone1153

Awards
  • Established
dairy too.

and capone, he worded it weird but im pretty sure he meant have <Grains As your Carbs> WITH your complete protein sources. ( hopefully what he meant)

actually, having read it again, i think he probably meant that some grains are complete protein sources. which is wrong.

so you were right.

that post just made me laugh out loud for real haha

ccapone1153

ccapone1153

Awards
  • Established

baby steps.

agreeed.

soon, u crack me up dude

Sinon

Sinon

Awards
Thanks for the help guys. Im working on cooking 3 days meals at a time, and to not be so lazy.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Try cooking sunday and wednesdays and portion things into tuperwares and either freeze them or put em in the fridge. That's the best way to do it. It may take time but it helps a great deal and soontobebeast.... Touche my friend touche lol

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
I do not know what everyones problem with sodium is. If you don't have high blood pressure, and are drinking enough fluids sodium is not really a major concern. Even with the high blood pressure excessive carbs are more the culprit than sodium.

AMEN to simplicity. YOu can also make yourself a couple pounds of chicken breast at the begininning of the week and pull it out as needed. Get the large smoked turkey breasts and cut into portions for you. Protein shake, and a hand full of nuts. Active LifeStyle hot cereal has a nice mix of complex carbs, fiber, and healthy fats and can be made with hot tap water. Use cans of tuna, salmon, or chicken breasts to make life easier on you when you need it. I keep all of these items along with some ranch style beans in my desk at work. I have big bowls for the microwave and get this ready made seasoning like taco seasoning, blackened seasoning, lemon pepper. When I forget to bring lunch I dive into my drawer at some seasoning to whatever meat in a can I want and heat it up often I put 2 cans of tuna in with a can of beans and some blackened seasoning for a good high fiber, complex carb, and protein meal. Keep it as simple as you need it to be to make it doable for you. YOu can add all the other stuff in as you make the new way of eating a lifestyle change. Then when you have sought out the knowledge on your own and understand what is going on with nutrition you can make some other changes or pay someone to make up a meal plan for you... However just getting started at eating right, my suggestion is don't make it so hard it is easy to want to say screw it.

I never said sodium was terrible or to eliminate it. I meant that if a vegetable is canned and can sit on a shelf for 12-18 months, it probably sucks and there are far better options for BETTER nutrition. I don't typically eat a bunch of canned meat anymore, tuna every now and then. i don't eat canned veggies. I can't even stand the pre-cooked chicken packs by tyson, just eat them cold if you want. That stuff tastes like crap compared to fresh chicken baked with some store bought spices. My wife eats it for some reason, and one day I was out of cooked chicken, so I threw some in a bowl and heated it up, tastes like salty chemicals.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I never said sodium was terrible or to eliminate it. I meant that if a vegetable is canned and can sit on a shelf for 12-18 months, it probably sucks and there are far better options for BETTER nutrition. I don't typically eat a bunch of canned meat anymore, tuna every now and then. i don't eat canned veggies. I can't even stand the pre-cooked chicken packs by tyson, just eat them cold if you want. That stuff tastes like crap compared to fresh chicken baked with some store bought spices. My wife eats it for some reason, and one day I was out of cooked chicken, so I threw some in a bowl and heated it up, tastes like salty chemicals.
And another AMEN to that good Sir. I wasn't exactly refering to you on a personal note, I just hear it alot about sodium like it is a major negative. I am not a salt person myself I don't really add extra salt to anything unless it is in a marinate or something. There are definitely better options, and he did say best diet for him, but I think in his case a best diet is one that is easy to follow. He was asking if canned was okay, I was explaining why it was, and what would be the reasons it may not be. Hope you didn't think that was a call out on your philosophy. As a matter of fact, I definitely prefer fresh food over canned but convenience is what keeps me able to follow a diet. I think that is the same with many others as well. At least in the begining. When i have an oppurtunity to cook or have the fresh i do but as far as canned veggies / meat being okay for meals. I say it is okay barring medical reasons to avoid sodium, but you probably will get tired of them relatively quickly. Cooking a few lbs of chicken the begining of the week is a good practice. A good way to get in some greens is to have fresh spinach put about 1 cup or so in a skillet with some nonstick spray or olive oil just enough to keep food from sticking not to pool anywhere in the pan. Throw in the spinach let sit for about 20-seconds or so thenstir a bit then add your eggs/ and eggwhites to it with any flavoring yu might want to make it taste good. Many other veggies can be used too as well as chunks of meat from leftovers the more ou play with food the more freedom you will have with your choices. If you are not used to adding veggies to eggs/egg whites you need to cook the veggies a little first tolet some of the water come out of them then add the eggs otherwise the eggs are liquidic and not as firm.

mazon

Awards
fresh vegs, meat and eggs are always a great start to any diet I think.

Mind you I live on a farm so most of our meat, veg, eggs and fruit is all from home :)

hailrazor

Awards
Im 21, 5 11, and about 175 pounds now. I quit smoking about 2 months ago and im starting to notice fat gain. I work out 4 to 5 times a week and practice muay thai twice a week. I don't do any cardio outside of muay thai training. Anyone have any suggestions of a good diet that will keep me growing, without the fat I've been gaining? Also I can't cut out carbs completely due to lack of energy in class.

Im taking

Prime
Multi
Fish oil
Whey
Cissus
Zma
Melatonin
5 htp

Any suggestions?

do not cut out carbs completely, you will need them! i do reccomend staying under 100g a day though but try to eat them early in the day and about 1/3 around your workout. upp your protein intake by about the same amount as you reduced your carb intake to get to 100g or less