Another protein question

  1. Registered User
    basshead42m's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    20
    Answers
    0

    Another protein question


    whats a good amount of protein that needs to be ingested everyday for sumone trying to bulk up?

  2. Registered User
    russy_russ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    911
    Answers
    0


    There are many physiological factors which can influence the 'amount'. There is no golden number. However, the most widely accepted macro percent for the average lifter is 50/30/20--carb/protein/fat. If you calculate your maintenance caloric requirements + how much you need to gain weight, you can figure out how much protein.
  3. Registered User
    spadesofaces's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  181 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Age
    27
    Posts
    85
    Answers
    0


    at the very minimum 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight. Most people will tell you more in the neighborhood of 1.5g/lb, and some people like to go as high as 2g/lb, and anything that is really overkill unless you're on hormones.
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    russy_russ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    911
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by spadesofaces View Post
    at the very minimum 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight. Most people will tell you more in the neighborhood of 1.5g/lb, and some people like to go as high as 2g/lb, and anything that is really overkill unless you're on hormones.
    It's actually between 1.0 - 2.2g protein per KILOGRAM of body weight, not pounds. That number can vary tremendously depending on the activity level of the individual. And, like you said obviously if one is taking hormones that number will be significantly higher. One must also be aware that high protein diets have been linked to kidney damage.
  5. Registered User
    ccapone1153's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    334
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by russy_russ View Post
    However, the most widely accepted macro percent for the average lifter is 50/30/20--carb/protein/fat.


    why is that?? that seems like a sh!t load of carbs and a good way to get fat

    this is coming from a guy who takes in 275g of carbs a day so im definatley not a carb hater, im just sayin
  6. Registered User
    russy_russ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    911
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by ccapone1153 View Post
    why is that?? that seems like a sh!t load of carbs and a good way to get fat

    this is coming from a guy who takes in 275g of carbs a day so im definatley not a carb hater, im just sayin
    Carbohydrates are NOT stored as fat. I'm not going to debate this topic for the millionth time. It is what it is.
  7. Registered User
    ccapone1153's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    334
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by russy_russ View Post
    Carbohydrates are NOT stored as fat.


    relax. no one is asking u to debate anything.

    i never said they were STORED as fat. carbs definately can effect insulin levels which in turn would cause you to gain fat. I was just asking who started the whole 50/30/20 carb/protein/fat amounts.. i know that is the "normal" bulking prodical, i just wonder why
  8. Registered User
    russy_russ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    911
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by ccapone1153 View Post
    relax. no one is asking u to debate anything.

    i never said they were STORED as fat. carbs definately can effect insulin levels which in turn would cause you to gain fat. I was just asking who started the whole 50/30/20 carb/protein/fat amounts.. i know that is the "normal" bulking prodical, i just wonder why
    Right. Carbohydrates induce insulin release which activates FATP1 or FATP4 can't remember which and GLUT4. Also, insulin directly inhibits lipase activity. To answer your question, I do not know exactly although I'm sure there is reason for it. At 20% fatty acid intake your body should be able to oxidize that for various ATP requirements at rest and hormone production. Carbohydrates also play a crucial role in the complete oxidation of fatty acids. I haven't finished my masters / phd yet. Maybe someone who has can chime in.
  9. Registered User
    soontobbeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,813
    Answers
    0


    screw that. i'd rather higher fats over higher carbs.

    carbs have their purpose, but i just cant see taking them in after 6pm just cause they taste good and make you feel nice.
    For me, the action IS the juice.
  10. Registered User
    ccapone1153's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    334
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by soontobbeast View Post
    screw that. i'd rather higher fats over higher carbs.

    carbs have their purpose, but i just cant see taking them in after 6pm just cause they taste good and make you feel nice.
    fats wont help u BUILD muscle
  11. Registered User
    soontobbeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,813
    Answers
    0


    thats why i said, carbs have their purpose.

    earlier in the day to help you build muscle.

    carbs at night won't make you build muscle better .

    in fact, carbs at night will stunt GH release, as opposed to getting EFAs to raise good hormone levels.
    For me, the action IS the juice.
  12. Registered User
    gibsonj4's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  189 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    378
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by ccapone1153 View Post
    fats wont help u BUILD muscle
    Fats help hormone production including test so fats are neccessary to build muscle.
  13. Registered User
    russy_russ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    911
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by soontobbeast View Post
    in fact, carbs at night will stunt GH release, as opposed to getting EFAs to raise good hormone levels.
    Can you provide case studies on this? I know GH decreases insulin response therefore glucose uptake is hindered, but this is normally seen with increased GH levels above the normal homeostatic range.
  14. Registered User
    soontobbeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,813
    Answers
    0


    its common knowledge.

    lower blood sugar before bed allows for the most GH release.
    For me, the action IS the juice.
  15. Registered User
    gibsonj4's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  189 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    378
    Answers
    0


    He speaks the truth.
  16. Registered User
    russy_russ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    911
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by soontobbeast View Post
    its common knowledge.

    lower blood sugar before bed allows for the most GH release.
    'Common Knowledge' has to have some factual basis which is what I want to read. There are a lot of "common knowledge" information floating around these boards that are incorrect. What mechanisms cause an increased release of GH? Does glucagon play a role? How much of an increase in GH? How low is the plasma glucose levels?

    I'm not trying to be condescending. I just want to read studies before accepting anything without reason.
  17. Registered User
    ccapone1153's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    334
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by soontobbeast View Post
    carbs at night will stunt GH release, as opposed to getting EFAs to raise good hormone levels.
    yeah ive heard that before, but if u eat carbs at like 730 and dont go to bed till like 11 thats more than enough time for glucose levels to come back down. i think u just shouldnd eat carbs within an an hr or two before bed.

    assuming ur not preping for a show.. in which case u should be so low on carbs anyway that having them at night is not even an option
  18. Registered User
    soontobbeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,813
    Answers
    0


    agreed capone, all im saying is low blood sugar before bed for a few hours. capone, you should read up on tom venuto's '' burn the fat feed the muscle '' he has great meal plans for doing a mixed low carb diet. he does starchy carbs till 3pm, then all meals after 3 have fibrous carbs. so you arent eliminating carbs completely for several hours, you are just eating different kinds that have less effect on blood sugar.


    and russ, i dont care if you want studies . if you want to find out a better way of releasing GH, you will research it. i dont need to win an argument. i dont care if i sway you into going low carb at night. i have nothing to gain or lose - you do, or maybe you dont. you wont convince me to take the time out of my day to look for studies, read up on them, and present it in a format that you can easily decide whether to do so or not.

    once again, its up to you.
    For me, the action IS the juice.
  19. Registered User
    russy_russ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    911
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by soontobbeast View Post
    and russ, i dont care if you want studies . if you want to find out a better way of releasing GH, you will research it. i dont need to win an argument. i dont care if i sway you into going low carb at night. i have nothing to gain or lose - you do, or maybe you dont. you wont convince me to take the time out of my day to look for studies, read up on them, and present it in a format that you can easily decide whether to do so or not.

    once again, its up to you.
    You made the claim, not me. The burden of proof is on you.
  20. Registered User
    soontobbeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,813
    Answers
    0


    i only need to back something up if i care to convince you to do something. a doctor doesn't need to convince a patient to do the steps to cure the cancer they have. if they dont do the steps, they die. does the doctor have anything to gain by them believing him? no.

    they can do it , or not do it. it makes no difference to him.
    For me, the action IS the juice.
  21. Registered User
    russy_russ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    911
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by soontobbeast View Post
    i only need to back something up if i care to convince you to do something. a doctor doesn't need to convince a patient to do the steps to cure the cancer they have. if they dont do the steps, they die. does the doctor have anything to gain by them believing him? no.

    they can do it , or not do it. it makes no difference to him.
    Not true. Many patients are skeptics and always reserve the right to ask for research studies on a particular type of treatment and its effectiveness versus side effects.
  22. Registered User
    ccapone1153's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    334
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by soontobbeast View Post
    , you should read up on tom venuto's '' burn the fat feed the muscle ''
    OK thanks for the suggestion dude ill def look into it.
  23. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,867
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by ccapone1153 View Post
    fats wont help u BUILD muscle
    yes they will, plenty of people have run ketogenic bulks.....
    This space for rent

    Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Protein and protein with casein b4 bed question
    By nexed23 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-31-2008, 08:56 AM
  2. Protein question!
    By Aggravated in forum Supplements
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 03-19-2008, 07:42 AM
  3. question about protein
    By kabigon in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-16-2006, 10:58 AM
  4. A protein question...
    By hypo in forum General Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-05-2005, 03:00 AM
  5. Protein question!
    By cable626 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-28-2005, 09:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in