help me quit smokeing

mcssassin

Awards
id like any advise or herbs or any sort of trick or technique that has worked for any of you. and any lung cleanse info that will get me back to full lung function fast

roids1

roids1

Banned
Awards
  • Established
First of all, learn to spell.

Now, to quit smoking. The first step is to understand that there is no cure, no magic pill, no herb, no support group that can quit for you. You are on your own. Like drinking or other drugs, addiction is not a disease. It is a series of bad decisions that you make on a daily basis against your better judgement.

The only way to quit is to make a firm committment to permanent abstinence and hold yourself accountable. It's not easy, but there's no other way. The hard part is sticking to the committment.

That being said. If you're smoking a pack a week, you may not need to worry about it. If you're smoking a pack a day, you have a problem.

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
1 thing i can say is, mega dose vitamin C.

vitamin C goes to your lungs first, and will help with repair.

aside from normal anti oxidants, the only thing that will get you back up to speed is time away from cigs.

roids1

roids1

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Your body will begin to repair itself once you quit. The focus should be on abstinence.

mcssassin

Awards
thanks for the advise guys. maybe i should have got hooked on phonics instead of smoking lol.

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
try this one:

Every time you have a ciggie, allow your mates to give you a good kicking.

Pretty soon you'll either be bleeding in the gutter, hiding in alleyways in fear of getting caught, or cured of your hideous affliction.

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
^^^ah, to be honest I was smoking up to 2 packs a day once. And drinking.

I had to give up drinking as well to get over the ciggies - but that's when I embarked on my change of lifestyle thing, which led me here.

It's a tough ride G - best of luck kicking it all. You will feel better - hell, I couldn't have felt much worse :D

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
ask yourself this question, do i want my lungs to look like this?

smoking kills you in a very slow and painful way!

really! its not worth it!

mcssassin

Awards
yea jake im kinda in the same boat. about 8 months ago i stopped drinking and started lifting. i was drinking 4 to 7... 22oz of bud ice every nite. woke up one afternoon lol and felt like **** and said im not drinking any more. and i dont know how but i didnt even have a craving or anything cold turkey just like that. i was drinking like that for about 6 years..been constantly lifting ever since but now its time to take the next step and stop smoking

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
yea jake im kinda in the same boat. about 8 months ago i stopped drinking and started lifting. i was drinking 4 to 7... 22oz of bud ice every nite. woke up one afternoon lol and felt like **** and said im not drinking any more. and i dont know how but i didnt even have a craving or anything cold turkey just like that. i was drinking like that for about 6 years..been constantly lifting ever since but now its time to take the next step and stop smoking
bro, i know you can do this, you just proved to yourself that when you quit drinking cold turkey b/c you know its not good for you, smoking is not different, you can do this!

mcssassin

Awards
im gonna try my best im gonna keep updating how im doin

mcssassin

Awards
thanks for the support! im wondering if i should get some patches or dip to help with the cravings or just try to go cold turkey

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
thanks for the support! im wondering if i should get some patches or dip to help with the cravings or just try to go cold turkey
horses for courses mate - I went ahead and cold turkeyed it.

I think the withdrawls are fkg hideous doing it this way, but the result quicker and cleaner. And I started a lot of cardio at the same time - this seemed to help by shifting focus.

Whatever way you choose man :thumbsup:

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
id like any advise or herbs or any sort of trick or technique that has worked for any of you. and any lung cleanse info that will get me back to full lung function fast
well my dad is in the hospital right now, and they warned him 1 more cigarette would literally equal death. And quite literally it would kill him.

That should be enough to quit...period...my dad has a broken eye socket, may lose his eye, and is hospitalized because of cigarettes. He was basically poisoned and unable to get oxygen into his blood, causing him to pass out, and bust his face up, he is also on blood thinners, so surgery is going to be hard to do.

Cigs put him in this position though and complicated his other injuries from the past.

Replace it with jolly ranchers if you have to(pop one every time you feel a crave, my friends say it works)

Iron Lungz

Iron Lungz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
First-rate advice... aside from the spelling suggestion. ;)

If you want to quit, do so, but don't make excuses for failing when you have the ultimate choice to light up. Good luck.
First of all, learn to spell.

Now, to quit smoking. The first step is to understand that there is no cure, no magic pill, no herb, no support group that can quit for you. You are on your own. Like drinking or other drugs, addiction is not a disease. It is a series of bad decisions that you make on a daily basis against your better judgement.

The only way to quit is to make a firm committment to permanent abstinence and hold yourself accountable. It's not easy, but there's no other way. The hard part is sticking to the committment.

That being said. If you're smoking a pack a week, you may not need to worry about it. If you're smoking a pack a day, you have a problem.

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
I still keep gobstoppers at my desk and in my car. you can eat quite a few of them and it's still better than smoking. one thing that helped was, remember that the craving lasts about 5 minutes....so when i would get the craving, i would look at my clock or watch and know that in 5 minutes all would be over.

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
isnt there a group you can join to help you like weight watchers, try your local hospital , health centre they may have some form of help. have you tried nicotine patches?With smoking being a contibuter to lung cancer, im sure if you looked in the right places youd get help.Your local newspaper might have adverts for self help groups but you do need to take the initiative yourself and strong willed. It wont be easy especially when others smoke around you ,.Here in the UK YOU CANNOT smoke in a public building/ transport anymore so thats a help to those trying to stop
Consult your doctor , im sure he d be only too pleased to help.

BabyHulk

BabyHulk

Awards
  • Established
It is definitely a long, hard road my man. But it can be done. I quit Thanksgiving last year. I was smoking a little over a pack a day. Used Chantix, and in 2 weeks I was done. I am in no way suggesting Chantix, due to its side effects. You are supposed to take it in monthly increments until you quit, but I had to stop in 2 weeks. Horrible sides. Anyway, good luck. Try to avoid things that you do while you smoked. I couldn't go out on my back porch until I quit, etc. You can do it brother.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
We've got these things at work called Chewing Sticks which are basically thick toothpicks drenched in tea tree oil. Supposedly it helps with the oral fixation associated with smoking. As was mentioned earlier, keep the Vitamin C intake high.

Good luck man.

roids1

roids1

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Just blow your buddy when you feel like you need something in your mouth.

Glad I could help!

Davidlee

I smoked newports and bud since I was around 13 - 14 years old until around 4 months ago. You control it man. I threw out a pack of marlboro menthol light shorts in a box into the middle of highway and haven't hit one since my canoe trip a month ago.. (only hit 1 that weekend) YOur stronger than a measly cigarette right? or are you..

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
i dont know if this has been mentioned or not, but you should eat/vaporize marijuana instead. the reason you smoke is for the buzz i assume. this is why most people use nicotine. personally i used to smoke herb ALL the time, then i had to quit so now i picked up smoking cigs for the past couple weeks ( because of the buzz). use 1 to ween you away from the other. this may not be a conventional way of quitting but i promise it will work.

the high from MJ is a lot more satisfying, long lasting, safer, and more mellow ( no headache, increased appetite, etc )

TexasTitan

TexasTitan

Awards
  • Established
Be a man and Audie Murphy it.

Dude got addicted to pain killers, said, hey **** you I dont want to be anymore, so he locked himself in a hotel room for a week.

The dude was the definition of man, and yet no one knows who he is today. They made a movie about his life and actually had to change some (true) things to make it look less badass so it was believable.

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
you just need enough reason to quit. if you give yourself a reason, you will follow through. but u gotta do it cold turkey. i was hardcore on coke back in the day and i somehow picked myself up before i died. and i used to smoke for a few yrs. im a lot happier now that i quit smoking. i can breathe so much easier and actually make gains in the gym. plus it really helps with vascularity and not getting so cold in the winter.

mcssassin

Awards
well today i smoked a half pack of ultra lights. most days i smoke a pack of reds so its a big improvement. i decided to taper off a couple days before quiting to reduce cravings i hope that will give me a better chance of staying on target and being smoke free. thats the plan anyway

MK9

MK9

Awards
  • Established
well today i smoked a half pack of ultra lights. most days i smoke a pack of reds so its a big improvement. i decided to taper off a couple days before quiting to reduce cravings i hope that will give me a better chance of staying on target and being smoke free. thats the plan anyway
Ok, if you really want to quit smoking you have options. Its a sick addiction and you know the ins and outs and the excuses anyone can make to justify their addiciton..
Go to the doctor and be given a prescription for Champix, and you can also go to a Naturopath and get something set up to quit smoking. That is what I did and it works.
The approach is to control the cravings and also to clean out your system of the toxic residue.

So you have 2 options, Dr's Rx for Champix, and\or Naturopath.

I know you can do this :)
MK9

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
um, you should know that ultra lights and lights are NOT any healthier than reds.

it says it right on the box '' not a safe alternative, refers only to flavor ''.

soooo

dpfisher

Just stop. And don't hang out with your friends who smoke until you can handle it again. It's not that bad after the first week.

Davidlee

Actually, i've been quit for months now ,and it will still bother you seeing them smoke.

oufinny

oufinny

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Seriously, I know you are going to have a hard time quitting but if you WANT to quit and make the decision to do so, you will be successful. A good friend was over a pack a day and he quit cold turkey, though his starburst and gum intake shot up through the rough for about 2 months. Something that I had to do when I quit was avoid the things I did when I smoked for a good 2 months or I was totally screwed. Also, if you have friends that know you are quitting, tell them to not let you smoke and be mean about it. Trust me, three guys all up in your face telling you not to light up less your nuts get a pounding will surely dissuade you, even when you have the biggest craving. Good luck and cut the damn ultra lights out, just stop buying those and get your a big supply of gum that you like.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I say this with love... SUCK IT UP BUTTERCUP! Okay that may not be the best thing considering you could apply it to smoking a cig. ;) No really you just have to quit. You can take a slow road with all the bs stuff that feeds you nicoteen until you break the habit of smoking. Bottom line is it is a habit yes it is also an addiction but it is a habit and your detox period is only strong for 3 days or so. So really suck it up you can do it! The total detox, addiction part is over in 2 weeks. It is the habits that get you doing it again not the desire for nicoteen. You need to develop a replacement habit that is healthy or positive. Something to do with your hands when you would normally smokeYou do not need nicorrette gum that is just proloning the nicoteen addiction. Yes I am aware I can't spell for crap but my sentiment is right. I smoked for years 2 packs of Marlboro Reds a day. While my first childs mother was preggars 1 of my cigs made her sick. I had only smoked 2 out of that pack but the pack was crushed and thrown out the car window. I have not smoked since and my son is 15. You make your choices and you decide your reason.

Now I hope you have quit by now and are not just pulling our chains and that you only need a support group. Well I am here to help to PM me and we can chat about death and not being able to run or breathe or eat through a cancerous esophogus. We can talk about missing your children or them watching you die slowly and the mental scars it will leave on them for the rest of their lives.

Honestly this is truly one of those do or die situations there is no "I will try..." that mentallity sets you up for failure. I know I may sound harsh and I am not trying to be off putting. However you just have to stop. Easy way take a Friday off and go to sleep. Try to keep your butt basically in bed or doing nothing over the weekend where you can seclude yourself a little. Sleep through most of the moodiness and sweating. Get up on Monday and you are smoke free it is that simple. Then your only concern is STAYING smoke free.

Anything after the 3rd day is you going on autopilot and picking it back up out of habit. Remember choosing to smoke again is choosing weakness. Try carrying around one or two of those pics posted back in the thread and have a look at a black lung everytime you want the security of the habit again. It will become less attractive to you.

Don't think I am a peckerhead because honestly if you PM me I will be there for you whether it is to support you or rattle yor cage if you didn't hold out. Bottom line is give yourself some tough love. I am sure you have finished some workouts you thought were going to kill you. Just because you chose to press on through it. Well making 1 decision at a time not to smoke again takes a whole lot less effort. Just keeping it real. Make it a priority and you will find it becomes easier.

Here is a website that you can probably get more appropriate help from and an excerpt from there regarding the benefits of quitting and time frames.
www(dot)trytostop(dot)org

Benefits of Quitting

Two Hours After Quitting

Nicotine begins to leave your system. Some people may feel withdrawal pangs. This is a good sign. Your body is cleaning itself out. Hang in there. Within about two days all the nicotine by-products will be gone.

After Six Hours
Heart rate and blood pressure decrease (although it may take up to a month for them to return to their normal rates).

After Twelve Hours
The carbon monoxide is completely out of your system.
Your lungs work more efficiently and you can do more without becoming short of breath.

After Two Days
Ability to smell and taste is enhanced.
Your breath, hair, fingers, and teeth will be cleaner.
Chance of a heart attack decreases.

After Seventy Two Hours
Bronchial tubes relax making it easier to breathe.
Lung capacity increases making it easier to do physical activities.

After Two Weeks
Your circulation improves, so does your confidence level because you feel good about your progress. You begin to think of yourself as a non-smoker.
Many withdrawal symptoms are gone.

One To Nine Months
Coughing, sinus congestion, fatigue, shortness of breath decrease. (extra info... This is due to the cilia starting to move again as they are paralyzed by the smoking. You WILL cough up nasty black tar looking mucus because that is what has just been allowed to sit in your lungs due to the paralysis of the cilia. DO NOT SMOKE TO MAKE THE COUGHING STOP!!!!!!!) This is how your lungs heal by coughing out the black death you have been filling them with.)
Body's overall energy level increases.

Within Two Months
Blood flow to your hands and feet improves, keeping them warmer.
Your skin looks healthier.

Within Three Months
The cilia (a hair-like cleaning system in the lungs) begin to recover and remove the mucous, so you can cough it up, cleaning your lungs and reducing the chance of infection.

After A Year
Your risk of lung cancer is reduced and you have less of a risk of heart disease.

In as little as five years, the risk of stroke can return to the level of a person who has never smoked.

Appearance.
Not only will you feel better, but you'll also look better. Since smoking stains your teeth, gives you stale breath and causes wrinkles around the eyes and mouth to appear earlier, the sooner you quit the better.

Your Bank Account Also Gets Healthier.
Giving up cigarettes is like giving yourself a raise. Think about it. If you smoke 20 cigarettes a day, you could save around $1800 a year. Imagine what you could do with that money. Non-smokers also pay much less for life insurance premiums.

Your Confidence Soars.
Few things compare to the sense of satisfaction you get when you quit smoking. If you can handle quitting smoking, you can handle just about anything.

GOOD LUCK BROTHER!!!!!!!! Don't give up you can do it!

MK9

MK9

Awards
  • Established
A pack of cigs in my neighborhood runs $10.00, I can use that money to buy my child a pack of baby wipes, and a new outfit.
Oh.. Did you know that cigarette smoking increases estrogen LOL!! No joke, I was reading about it while doing some research.
Now, here is a cheap way out, and I prefer to use every resource possible to shake a habit.. Buy yourself "The Patch" its not cheap, but its safer than smoking and it will ween you off of cigarettes.
You can purchase this at the pharmacy section of your local grocery store. Read the packaging carefully cause they come in "Steps" so if you are hardcore smoker i.e. 10+ cigs a day then you need Step1, Step 2 is less than etc..
I used Step 2, and then during the treatment I cut the patch inhalf to receive half of the dosage, and then it stopped and all was good..
I am sure we can all pitch in our war stories and successes to help this man along :)

MK9

dave12

Awards
  • Established
I quit smoking on accident about 3 years ago. I was taking sulbutiamine and I ran out of cigs after I got home from work and was too lazy to run to the store and buy more. I didn't have any cravings all night and I thought that was odd. The next morning I really wanted a cig and then I took some sulb and caff and went running and craving was gone for the next 4-5 hours. I dunno if they are related or whatever but I think it really took the edge off cravings for me.

mcssassin

Awards
um, you should know that ultra lights and lights are NOT any healthier than reds.

it says it right on the box '' not a safe alternative, refers only to flavor ''.

soooo
i was under the impression there was less tar and nic in the ultra light. not healthy but a step in the right direction :sick:

oufinny

oufinny

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i was under the impression there was less tar and nic in the ultra light. not healthy but a step in the right direction :sick:
Opposite actually, the "full flavor" smokes like Marlboro Reds have significantly less additives in them surprisingly. But who are we kidding, American Spirit is all tobacco but that does not mean they are good for you! Pick a day my friend and ready for it mentally then jump off the cliff, it won't hurt as bad as you think when you hit that first craving, just don't be around someone you care about your fuse will be about a mm long, lol!

Kevin R

Awards
  • Established
I am sure others have said this already but I didn't read all of the responses. Quit being a ***** and quit putting them in your mouth. I smoked for 6 years and one day quit because I wanted to. If your will power isn't stronger than an urge for a cigarette than that is pretty sad.

The advice on not hanging around with people who smoke is SPOT ON. When I went to college none of my roommates smoked and it just wasn't convenient or fun any more. When I would come home to friends who still smoked I would light one up occasionally at the bar with them just because they were all doing it. If you cannot handle quitting just tell your friends you will see them in 2 weeks. Trust me it is worth it....

I am to the point where I can go out with friends on a Saturday night and have a social cigarette if I feel like it, but I don't urge for one. Then come Sunday I am fine until the next weekend, the next month, or whenever because after the initial quit it is all good.

You honestly just have to tell yourself you can control it.

mcssassin

Awards
havent smoked since yesterday in the evening. urge is controlable today so far but im a little jittery a little light headed but smoke free! decided to go cold turkey after hearing everyones storys thank you everyone for the support and ill keep updating

dave12

Awards
  • Established
Sometime today or early tomorrow you are going to start getting lil bouts of inability to concentrate. They really suck. (Think 15 min brain fart). They happen every few hours and will get less worser over the next two weeks.

mcssassin

Awards
still clean. no real prob not lightin up so far this is easier than i thought it was gonna be! i havent even turned into an ******* or anything like that

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Keep it up playa!!!!! By tomorrow food will start tasting better. That is part of the reason people gain weight when they quit. That and the lack of the stimulant activity of nicoteen. Soon you will notice that everyone who smoke smells like a full ashtray. Then you may even kiss someone who smokes and see what an ashtray tastes like. It will become a smell you despise...

still clean. no real prob not lightin up so far this is easier than i thought it was gonna be! i havent even turned into an ******* or anything like that

neverstop

Awards
  • Established
cold turkey is the only way to do it. go big or go home.
stay strong bro and keep it up. you know yourself better than any of us and i can tell that you KNOW you can quit smoking. be sure to give yourself some sort of present or celebration when you hit your milestones. like after one week take yourself out for a steak dinner or something. maybe after your first year take yourself on a little vacation even if its just driving somewhere nice for the weekend and staying somewhere cheap. gives you something to look forward to and then you can tell yourself "i'm not going to pick up this cigarette and smoke it right now otherwise i won't be able to have or enjoy my steak dinner because i'll feel like a sell out to myself"

good luck bro, there are many other people who have done it and so can you!

Davidlee

Im going to check in with you mcssasin and see how your holding up. Make sure to start chewing orbit! Not only will it distract you from wanting a cigarette ,it will also get your breath back on tract to smelling like a non smoker!

mcssassin

Awards
another day over and im still smoke free. dont know if it was withdrawls or if im gettin sick but i was nautious all nite and even threw up a few times this morn. smokin never even crossed my mind so i figure it was a touch of the flu

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I tell ya man, going onto lights wont work. You either need to get some meds or go cold turkey. Just my 2c from someone who made it through :thumbsup:

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
another day over and im still smoke free. dont know if it was withdrawls or if im gettin sick but i was nautious all nite and even threw up a few times this morn. smokin never even crossed my mind so i figure it was a touch of the flu
sorry man, should have read the entire thread - hang in there mate!

<think about punching celine dion's face in - that might help>

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
<think about punching celine dion's face in - that might help>
Man I may have to start smoking again just to have a reason to do that one myself. LOL

oufinny

oufinny

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Man I may have to start smoking again just to have a reason to do that one myself. LOL
Sign me up for this one, can we start a line and see how long it gets in one hour???? :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2: