superfood????

demetre

Awards
Has anyone heard of eating shelled hemp seeds??? I read the nutrition facts and they sound amazing. Are there any benefits of eating them. For what you get it seems like a good deal. comments please!!!

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
The closest a food is to its raw pure form then the healthier it is. Try looking up the Vega line of supps as well as CMI's chia pro.

lozgod

lozgod

Awards
  • Established
I don't know anything about hemp seeds from experience but from what I read they are similar to flax seeds as far as benefits. There is a movement to glorify hemp everything from food to clothes. I wouldn't go out of my way or out of my pocket trying to get some personally.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
Hemp Seeds Vs. Flax Seeds
Hemp seed oil has been dubbed, "Nature's most perfectly balanced oil" due to the fact that it contains the perfectly balanced 3:1 ratio of both the required essential fatty acids (EFAs) for long term human consumption. Omega 6 -Linoleic Acid (LA) : Omega 3 - Linolenic Acid (LNA). Hemp oil is also an excellent source of the LA derivative super-polyunsaturated Gamma Linolenic Acid (GLA) at 2.5-3% of volume*

* Based on EFA composition noted in research crop reports conducted in Manitoba and Canada during the last three years.

Oils Containing both Omega 6 and Omega 3 (ratio)

Hemp 3:1 (deemed optimum)
Flax 1:4
Canola 2:1
Soybean 7:1
Oils Containing GLA (percent of total EFAs)

Hemp 2.5-3.5%
Evening Primrose 9%
Borage 24%

Only Hemp seed oil contains Omega 6, Omega 3 and GLA
Only Hemp seed oil contains 75-80% polyunsaturated fatty acids - highest in the plant kingdom and unique among seed oils. Though flax oil is high in Omega 3, the perfect balance of hemp's EFAs allows your body to best digest the excellent properties in hemp oil.

Flax oil is pressed from the seeds of Linum utilitatissimum, the source of linen fiber and an oil better known in this country as linseed oil, and after applying a chemical boiling process using heat and acid, commmonly used as the base for oil paints.

Boiled Linseed oil is classified as a "drying oil" and has been chemically modified to combine readily with oxygen and become thick and hard. This tendency to harden on exposure to air turns linseed oil into a useful industrial oil as a vehicle for pigment on canvas. (The word "canvas" by the way is a relative of "Cannabis," because true canvas is made from hemp fiber.) You can also apply the same boiling process to hemp oil to create hemp oil based paints.

Flax and Linseed oils make excellent industrial sources for non-petrochemical oil based products but hemp oil is perfectly suited for eating thanks to its idea ratio of essential fatty acids.

lozgod

lozgod

Awards
  • Established
That's great hemp has a better ratio but you have to consider your whole diet. Seems interesting though.

Anyone try it? How would it taste in a protein shake or on a salad?

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
omega 6s are the most common fatty acid there is.

canola has it, olive oil has it, flax seed oil, peanut butter has it.

you can get 3000mg of omega 3s in 1 serving of walnuts. lol

even if it does have more of everything. who cares. you will spend more money on this stupid oil than you would double dosing the others.

plus hemp oil will make you test positive for THC.

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
another reason why hemp oil is trash is because despite the fact that it has high omega 3s, they aren't EPA or DHA, which means they are extremely poorly absorbed (15% or so being the upper end threshold)

edit: so there isn't any confusion, what i meant by 'absorbed' is simply that your body converts ALA to EPA and DHA around a 15% efficiency.

Last edited:
somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
omega 6s are the most common fatty acid there is.

canola has it, olive oil has it, flax seed oil, peanut butter has it.

you can get 3000mg of omega 3s in 1 serving of walnuts. lol

even if it does have more of everything. who cares. you will spend more money on this stupid oil than you would double dosing the others.

plus hemp oil will make you test positive for THC.
Hemp seeds do not have THC, they will not cause this positive test.

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
it is also important to note that all of the benefits of omega 3s shown in case studies, such as cardiovascular improvement, etc, are exclusive to EPA/DHA.