why is buying dextrose different than buying a 5lb bag of sugar for your coffee?

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
besides the fact that dextrose cost 2x as much?

if i get home and dump 8tsp ( 32g) of sugar, ( white, cane that goes into your coffee ) isn't that exactly the same as taking 8tsp of dextrose that people buy from nutrition stores?

to my knowledge they are both 100 on the GI scale

so why do people buy dextrose, its tastier is all?

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
no one has an answer? yall just buy dextrose cause everybody else does?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sucrose (aka table sugar) is a di-saccharide composed of glucose and fructose. Dextrose, however, is just straight glucose.

soultrain

soultrain

Awards
"Plain table sugar isn't dextrose, it's actually sucrose. Sucrose is disaccharide, a combination of 2 simpler sugars, namely Glucose (same thing as dextrose) and fructose. You're better off using dextrose, despite it being significantly less sweet than table sugar. Fructose does restore glycogen, but not as efficiently as dextrose and it also doesn't illicit the same insulin response to help transport protein."

Not my words, but certainly on the mark.

EDIT: Damn you're quick Rodja.

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
so wouldn't a glucose-sucrose mix be beneficial in the fact that you are refilling your liver and muscles?

as opposed to refilling muscles post workout, then refilling your liver post, post workout.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
so wouldn't a glucose-sucrose mix be beneficial in the fact that you are refilling your liver and muscles?

as opposed to refilling muscles post workout, then refilling your liver post, post workout.
It doesn't work that way. Fructose is not the exclusive provider of liver glycogen. Glucose is what every carb source is eventually broken down into by the intestines/liver. You fill your liver first and then your muscles, not the other way around.

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
so i guess the reason why pure glucose is advantageous is because it is a mono-saccharide and will absorb the quickest because it doesn't need to be broken down any more?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
so i guess the reason why pure glucose is advantageous is because it is a mono-saccharide and will absorb the quickest because it doesn't need to be broken down any more?
Pretty much, but there is also a school of thought (which I agree with) that says it's pointless to use high-GI post-WO unless you're a performance athlete.

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
i typically just had ( before i started CKD ) a baked potato, whey, and a serving of meat post WO.

ive always avoided pure sugar shakes.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

You want to refill your liver with alcohol.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
Dextrose is about 20% less sweet. Dextrose is 100% glucose which is the energy that replaces your glycogen storage. Sucrose (table sugar) is 50% glucose and 50% fructose.

Glucose has a lower tendency than fructose to non-specifically react with the amino groups of proteins. This reaction destroys the function of many enzymes. The insulin response with fructose is also not as good as glucose. Fructose has to go through the liver, slowing down the replenishment process.

The price difference is miniscule, last time I got dextrose at bb.com I think it was $20 for 20 lbs, unless you are eating and snorting it at the same time that should last you for awhile.

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sucrose (aka table sugar) is a di-saccharide composed of glucose and fructose. Dextrose, however, is just straight glucose.
Not to mention that Dextrose is actually d-glucose only, which is absorbed is believe about an 8 fold faster than l-glucose, if not more.