How much Carbs do you REALLY need?

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Ok here it goes....

What seems like a basic question to most is quite complex to me. Most say that carbs are essential to fuel muscle...but from what i have studied this is a gross oversimplification that is starting to get on my nerves.

ATP fuels muscles not glycogen. Glycogen is a stored energy source that is broken down into ATP via glycolysis -> Krebs -> Electron Transport chain.

Glycogen is first broken down into glucose, converted into 2 pyruvate. In the presence of oxygen it will then be converted to acetyl CoA and in an anaerobic environment will be converted to lactic acid (like when u work out).

But lets go with the anaerobic process from acetyl CoA its further reduced until it hits the ETP(electron transport chain) as CO2, NADH, and FADH2. The net output about 34-36 ATP.

Now lets go back to the conversion of pyruvate to Acetyl CoA. Fat can be oxidized to fatty acids down to acetyl CoA and then can undergo the Krebs cycle and the ETP which produces a bulk of the 34-36 ATP. Glycolysis only yields a net ATP output of 4 ATP.

Lets take this even further in the process known as gluconeogenesis where glucose is made from pyruvate which can be derived from high levels of acetyl Coa which are converted to pyruvate so and then made into glucose to then be stored as glycogen.

So after a gross over simplification of the pathways i pose the question...why are carbs needed in diets? What are the downfalls of ketosis? Are there actually any documented studies attributed to what happens with prolonged lack of carbs? Will the lack of carbs lead to muscle atrophy if levels of fat and protein intake are sufficient (maintenance or above)?

Also if carbs are needed how much do u actually need in order to avoid possible negs of low carbs? How is carb cycling more efficient at created fat loss/muscle gain? What is the ideal period to cycle? How long should one carb cycle? etc.

Im sick and tired of over simplified answers, bull**** opinions, biases due to promoting some new diet fad to have u spend **** tons of money on their books and products and i want to get down to the science of the matter.

So to my educated peers and superiors on Anabolic Minds....please help. I really want to have some intellectual debate on this matter. I dont want this to be offensive or spark conflict....i just to start getting into the "meat and potatoes" of dieting 101

lozgod

lozgod

Awards
  • Established
The body can function with zero carbohydrates.

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
ok, but can it be anabolic with zero carbs given it can produce everything it needs in the absence of carbs? And are there any side effects of excess ketones and such due to these conversions?

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
I've done keto diets and extended periods of no carbs but i found carb rotation worked best.

It's an energy source so work your training around your diet.

lozgod

lozgod

Awards
  • Established
ok, but can it be anabolic with zero carbs given it can produce everything it needs in the absence of carbs? And are there any side effects of excess ketones and such due to these conversions?
There are hormones in the body (IGF-1, testosterone) that create protein synthesis without carbs. So yes the body can be anabolic without them.

The only dangers of ketones is ketoacidosis which is by-product of high blood sugar levels (from carbs) and ketones. Ketones alone are harmless and can support all bodily functions.

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
arent ketones used for energy in the absence of carbs?

also isnt ketoacidosis found primarily in patients with out of control diabetes?

I would also like to refer to the Inuit diet void of all carbs and they actually do not suffer from many of the disease of society....(adult onset diabetes, obesity, etc). Can this be a valid example supporting your point loz that carbs are essence not needed to live a healthy life?

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The body can function with zero carbohydrates.
word...i do 30-40 grams of carbs year round and i train pretty hard no problem. you just have to make sure your eating quality fat.

the body and brain prefer fat over carbs as a quality fuel source.

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
arent ketones used for energy in the absence of carbs?

also isnt ketoacidosis found primarily in patients with out of control diabetes?

I would also like to refer to the Inuit diet void of all carbs and they actually do not suffer from many of the disease of society....(adult onset diabetes, obesity, etc). Can this be a valid example supporting your point loz that carbs are essence not needed to live a healthy life?
ketones are released to go get your energy source from the fat. that is why doing atkins diet properly will be VERY successful.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
You can induce ketoacidosis and not be diabetic by being in deep ketosis and being dehydrated. A lady at work is on a "keto" diet recommended by the local "fat clinic". Without proper education, she is on severly restricted calories and refuses to drink enough water during day. She was doing a spinning class and nearly fell out in the middle. She had been testing darkest purple for 2 days on keto sticks. Needless to say some water made her fell a little better.

Wilderbeast

Wilderbeast

Awards
  • Established
I have been on a keto diet for almost a year now, and have had ZERO side effects except FAT LOSS. You can ONLY go into ketoacidosis if you have pre-existing medical conditions or do ZERO exercise which will lead to an over build-up up of ketone bodies in the blood because they are not being burned off for energy. If you exercise even moderately you have pretty much ZERO chance of ever having an issue with ketoacidosis (acidification in the bloodstream).

BEAST

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
young sounds like her main problem was lack of water not the diet. Even if she was on a regular diet if she was drinking enough water she would have still passed out during that spin class

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
the body and brain prefer fat over carbs as a quality fuel source.
Not quite:

Glucose is the obligatory energy substrate for brain and it is almost entirely oxidized to CO2 and H2O.

Numerous studies have been performed to identify molecules that could substitute for glucose as an alternative substrate for brain energy metabolism. Among the vast array of molecules tested, mannose is the only one that can sustain normal brain function in the absence of glucose (59).

Under particular conditions, such as starvation, diabetes, or in breast-fed neonates, plasma levels of the ketone bodies acetoacetate and D-3-hydroxybutyrate increase markedly (41). Under these conditions, acetoacetate and D-3-hydroxybutyrate can be used by the brain as metabolic substrates (41).

Full article here: http://www.acnp.org/g4/gn401000064/CH064.HTML

Just because the body can (arguably to some degree) function without dietary carbohydrate is not grounds for claiming that low/no carb diets are the optimal macro nutrient profile.

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Excellent point nitrox, allow me to provide a counter argument.

You are very right and I will not disagree with the statement that glucose is the preferred and most efficient means of providing the brain with energy. I havent completely read that amazing article you posted but i do not believe they were specific on what kind of glucose.

GLucose as i stated previously can be derived in the body by when there is an excess of Acetyl CoA and and absence of glucose. The acetyl coa with be converted to pyruvate which will then be further converted through backwards glycolysis of sorts into glucose. This will provide glucose for the brain. I believe and i can be very mistaken that this whole process is called gluconeogenesis.

I will refer again to the Inuit (eskimo) ppl of alaska where there diet composed entirely of fats and meats and they were able to function at a normal cognitive level. So their brain had to derive glucose from the high intake of fat.

Therefore the intake of glucose is not obligatory. It will by all means enhance given pathways since the body will readily use it for energy but I still do no see it as essential.

Also i pose another question....why does the intake of carbs during carb cycling allow for such dramatic results? Is it the spike in insulin? Is it the increased sensitivity allowing for rapid replenishment of muscle glycogen? What factor/factors attribute to the great success of this diet?

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i finally tried carb cycling a few months ago and i felt like crap and gained fat (no not water, i counted that out)

carbs give me a energy spike with a crash, fat gives me consistant energy, a little lower but at least its steady.

im 175 pounds now been as heavy as 230 and if i ate like the average joe (and didnt work out) i would be 300 something pounds.

low carb dieting for life! i love what i eat and ive been pretty consistant with it for about 9 years now.

the only mistakes ive make ive learned from, still gotta keep the cals low (which is easy to do because this diet helps fill you up) avoid cheaze and deep fried chicken wings, trans fats, and just eat enough to feel full.

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
enjoying this discussion so far......

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
cheaze or cheese??? B/c i dont know what the heck cheaze is haha

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
the crash experienced by the intake of carbs....i believe and please correct me if im wrong.... is caused by a super insulin spike due to the increased carb sensitivity associated with low carb/ketosis diets.

You crash b/c your body is saying slow down i need to store all this energy before you burn it up. So you get tired and pass out.

lozgod

lozgod

Awards
  • Established
the crash experienced by the intake of carbs....i believe and please correct me if im wrong.... is caused by a super insulin spike due to the increased carb sensitivity associated with low carb/ketosis diets.

You crash b/c your body is saying slow down i need to store all this energy before you burn it up. So you get tired and pass out.
When I did my carb days this weekend I would say the carb spike was the equivalent of taking a sleeping pill. I was out like a light.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So after a gross over simplification of the pathways i pose the question...why are carbs needed in diets? What are the downfalls of ketosis? Are there actually any documented studies attributed to what happens with prolonged lack of carbs? Will the lack of carbs lead to muscle atrophy if levels of fat and protein intake are sufficient (maintenance or above)?
they aren't NEEDED, they make things easier. Outside of inuits, even looking at general biological anthropology man got some carbs in daily. Being a hunter gatherer it was primarily through fruits and nuts, but thats not no carbs.

Not any downfalls of a managed non-diabetic ketosis other than cholesterol levels depending on your fat sources.

There are studies of long term ketosis as it is used by doctors to treat certain children with epilepsy - ketones being used rather than glucose lowers the amount and severity of seizures. So not only will muscles not atrophy, but you can grow up on a ketogenic diet from a child.

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
loz that makes sense. every carb up day no matter how much i slept...im gonna pass out...and let me tell you its one hell of a nap.

The biology and physiology of children is a completely different game. For the most part they have different requirements then those of post pubertal individuals. For the most past i think it is somewhat inaccurate to site that as an example.

As far as the muscle atrophy...well see that i something u will have to go into detail a little bit more. There has to be more then a lack of carbs that will cause atrophy seeing as a whole race of individuals where able to survive and be a strong hardy people. I do not believe they underwent muscle atrophy often

Also depending on the hunter gatherer society, the dependence on fruits and nuts varied. Some had a high dependence ketogenic other a low dependence. Some consumed enough fish and meat to be considered in a diet due to the fact that a majority of their calories came from fats and proteins.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
The body can obtain glucose from the glycerol component of fat (although from what I understand, in limited amounts) or by deaminizing protein. Since the Inuit diet also contained reasonable amounts of protein I suggest that would be the primary source of glucose.

However deaminizing protein to glucose is relatively inefficient as compared to simply taking in some carbohydrate. Fat is also a 'slow' fuel. Consequently, the longer and higher intensity your activity is the more likely a low/no carb diet is going to lead to 'side effects.'

Carb crashes come from taking in a meal with too high of glycemic load. Contributors to this are higher GI carbs, too many carbs (separating carbs and fats can be a factor in this). This is often called rebound hypoglycemia. blood glucose rises so fast that your body overcompensates with too much insulin. One the influx stops, insulin continues to push glucose below baseline which then causes lethargy and hunger.

The more insulin sensitive you are, the less insulin you need for a given meal.

What are these carb up days that you guys do? Instead of loading up on one day per week just spread them out more evenly - no crashes. IMO Carb/fat mutual exclusion is a load of horse crap.

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
As far as the muscle atrophy...well see that i something u will have to go into detail a little bit more. There has to be more then a lack of carbs that will cause atrophy seeing as a whole race of individuals where able to survive and be a strong hardy people. I do not believe they underwent muscle atrophy often
If you're referring to what Easy posted, he says that muscle will NOT atrophy. If you're getting adequate protein, why would they?

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Interesting Nitrox....

The inuit diet had very high amounts of fat. Yes protein was high but ther would hae to take in around 3x the protein compared to fat in order for it to be calorically more available then fat. ( 1 g of fat = 9 calories, 1 gram of protein= 4 calories). So i disagree that they use protein as their primary fuel source.

Fat to my understand is readily converted to glucose. Why would i say this? Well if you think about it glucose and glycogen when stored to its max is converted to fat. When depleted fat is used as an energy store and is converted to glucose. So in an environment devoid of carbs it would convert the incoming fat into carbs through multiple pathways.

When you say the glycerol of the fat is used to make carbs is right to a certain degree but doesnt completely identify the pathway. The glycerol is converted to pyruvate and the fatty acid chain can be converted to acetyl CoA. Meaning there are two conversion that will yeild an energy source rather having protein undergo a costly gluconeogenesis.

Also when high levels of physical activity are present, the body will more readily use protein to rebuild damaged tissue and use the fat to be converted into an energy source.

And i am happy you have such a ferevent opinion, but from personal experience(therefore my HO), excluding fat was very detrimental to my health. On the other hand excluding a majority of carbs has actually be quite beneficial.

Another thing....a carb crash can be induced by low glycemic carbohydrates as well as high glycemic carbs. It takes less high glycemic to induce it the crash but when you have removed a large portion of carbs in your daily diet it doesnt take much for your body to respond to whatever large amount of carbs u introduce suddenly.

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
thanks bionic i majorily misread that

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Fat to my understand is readily converted to glucose. Why would i say this? Well if you think about it glucose and glycogen when stored to its max is converted to fat. When depleted fat is used as an energy store and is converted to glucose. So in an environment devoid of carbs it would convert the incoming fat into carbs through multiple pathways.
Do you have any links that attest to this? My understanding was that protein -> glucose -> fat was a non-reversible process and the body metobolizes FFA's directly.

lozgod

lozgod

Awards
  • Established
Fat is converted to glucose at a rate of about 10%, protein is 50% and carbs are, well, 100%.

The purpose of having carb days is to reload glycogen stores and to not allow the body lower peptin levels in starvation mode making fat burning less efficient. By carbing up infrequently the body stays in a ketogenic state but doesn't get lazy in regards to fat burning.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
My comps no longer in the works all I got is my bb and that's too much to deal with on typing on this small keyboard however mullet and strategic if they show up here will set it all straight lol

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
I will refer again to the Inuit (eskimo) ppl of alaska where there diet composed entirely of fats and meats and they were able to function at a normal cognitive level. So their brain had to derive glucose from the high intake of fat.
They can function very well on this diet but there goals would be extremely different to ours.

Not knocking keto diets. I like keto and do it from time to time but i have to dramatically change my weight / cardio routine once i hit ketosis.

I just don't have the energy to train with high reps or do endless cardio. I'd be just burning up muscle as it's turning to glucose to try and do the usual workload that carbs give me the energy to do. It's happened before but i persisted.

I always new keto would work, it just makes sense to me so the experimenting continued.

I get very strong when eating protein and fats because i rarely do no more than 5-7 reps. Maybe a bit higher for legs. I drop the amount of exercises i do for each bodypart so the length of time i'm in the gym is decreased. I also drop from 4-5 days a week in the gym down to 3

This is the only way i can function in other areas of my life....work, family etc. as well.

I'll say this for keto. I get better appetite suppression from this than any supp could give me. Just talking about it makes me want to do it again but i've just started Creatine and my body reacts better when my diet is higher in carbs......................but that's another story, in another thread, another time................!!!!!!

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Fat is converted to glucose at a rate of about 10%, protein is 50% and carbs are, well, 100%.

The purpose of having carb days is to reload glycogen stores and to not allow the body lower peptin levels in starvation mode making fat burning less efficient. By carbing up infrequently the body stays in a ketogenic state but doesn't get lazy in regards to fat burning.
doest this all change when you get into ketosis? thats what ketones do, use your fat as a energy source when no more gycogen is present. your 10% rate may be accurate for the normal person but not someone on a keto diet.

jay21

jay21

Banned
Awards
  • Established
did u guys mention glucogenesis = protein into carbs process.
hmm when i did carb cyclign i lost 20lbs and maintained my arm size and looked great i belive ppl **** up on the carbs they choose when they have a high carb day. i did it on my arm days cuz i lag on arms. i liked carb cycling and will do it from now on. i also used eca hdx2 and leanfx

jay21

jay21

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i love dieting the stress on ur body, i love it! eating 2-3 ezekiel bread per day :) for carbs of the day i love the stress

lozgod

lozgod

Awards
  • Established
doest this all change when you get into ketosis? thats what ketones do, use your fat as a energy source when no more gycogen is present. your 10% rate may be accurate for the normal person but not someone on a keto diet.
Not sure. Just what I read in Bodyopus.

ato ucf

This is a great thread, I have a question though and don't mean to detract from the original purpose of the topic. I have been trying to begin a CKD diet but find it nearly impossible to function on less than 80gs of carbs in a day, no matter my fat intake. My question is what range of g/day of carb intake do most people eat to reach ketosis?

lozgod

lozgod

Awards
  • Established
This is a great thread, I have a question though and don't mean to detract from the original purpose of the topic. I have been trying to begin a CKD diet but find it nearly impossible to function on less than 80gs of carbs in a day, no matter my fat intake. My question is what range of g/day of carb intake do most people eat to reach ketosis?
I go under 20 for 2 weeks before cycling in carbs once a week. Then during the week I am 304- grams a day. There is an adjustment period. I feel blah for about 3-4 days then it is like I have more energy than I ever had.

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
I don't train at all for the first week. This gets me used to the diet first and then a week or so later once my body is used to it then i start training again.

If i try and train i just get frustrated with the lack of energy and pumps.

Heavy and brief is the best way for me to train. If i do cardio at all i just go for long walks at my normal pace. Nothing to exertive.

Any carbs i have from then on are either pre or post workout. Carb up a bit for half a day on Wednesday and half a day on Saturday.

Thats the way i do it. Others might do it differently.

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
<20 carbs( closer to 15) a day till my refeed.

workout 4-5 days a week.

i have more than enough energy for anything taking ALCAR and ECY, and a few other supplements.

jay21

jay21

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i myself usally use eca solely for energy and appetite supress while dieting not for the fat burning effect on lipids etc etc

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Ok so sorry for my brief absence but here are some links that attribute to fat metabolism.

First is a general link showing how everythign in the end turns to blood glucose which feed your body:

http://webanatomy.net/anatomy/blood_glucose.jpg
http://webanatomy.net/anatomy/238unit3a.htm#Metabolic

The only possible side effect which is negative is acidosis which can easily prevented by making sure you have a well balanced diet of veggies and alkaline foods which will balance out the PH of your food.

So eat your greens kids.

ALso here is another link going into a little more detail. Its an article that has to do with an unrelated issue but it goes into fat metabolism and metabolic diseases.

http://www.nature.com/cr/journal/v17/n6/full/cr200748a.html

Jordinator

Awards
  • Established
What I think is interesting is that you don't have highly abundant carbohydrates in nature like you do in our diets. Granted you have high carbohydrate foods, but not the refined flours, sugars, rices, etc. These are usually always low in vitamins unless enriched. IMO, we don't need these carbohydrate sources. My reasoning is purely based on the fact that they don't appear in nature. What is everybody's thoughts on that?

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
As for ketoacidosis, Lyle explains in his book the pathways a normal, healthy individuals body prevents this.

1. In normal people (For the sake of this, a normal person in ketosis) excessive ketones stimulate insulin release.
2. The insulin slows the release of FFAs
3. Raising of insulin slows the rate of ketone body formation in the liver
4. This process increases the rate of excretion of ketones through the urine.

Carbohydrates are a non essential macronutrient, the body can thrive just fine without them and is equipped to do so and utilize fat to supply the body with all it needs. Does the body preferentially use carbohydrates when they are available? Yes.

gibsonj4

gibsonj4

Awards
  • Established
Not to detract from the inuit hypotheisis, but how long have the inuit been on a "keto diet" with next to no carbs and mainly fats/proteins? Obviously, these individuals bodies may have adapted to this sort of diet as well through generations. Very good thread though and interesting subject matter.

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Jordinator...i think personally think that the types of carbs found in nature are very benificial to include in ones diet. They contain vitamins and anti-oxidants that will improve quality of life so to go completely carb free is possible (if u supplement properly, an example is extra vitamin C and what not) but it is an extreme. BUt I do agree with you that ideally the only carbs we shoudl take in are he goodies that nature provides...and drop the refined crap.

great post thomas

And i dont think its a matter of the inuits having adapted that ability over generations...if that were the case keto diets wouldnt be so effective. I forgot what civilization besides the inuit diet consisted primarily of fish and berries with very little agriculture. About 70% of their calories or more came from meat. But since i cant recall the name i didnt want to site it as an example. But i do know other civilazations relied heavily(may not be entirely) on meat for survival.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

In addition to assiting with leptin levels influenced by low cab and low k/cal diets, the carbs also assist in preservation of thyroid production, also ideal in maintaining when fat loss is the goal.

As an aside, another relevant piece of the puzzle worthy of noting is many bb'ers that attempt this very low/no carb eating regimen remain "anabolic" to a degree b/c of the excess protein spill over; specifically, indirect insulin elevations from the over-eating of protein whereas a typical/non-bb'er attempting a low/very low carb regimen will favor fats as opposed to high protein amounts thereby establishing slightly different outcomes.

Some notables previously mentioned in this thread that bear repeating:
1) Adequately Hydrate (water)
2) Get your Fiber in
3) Ingest some alkaline foods to offset acidity
4) Chose smart/healthy fats not sh*tty fats.
5) Carb loads affect every differently. Titrate/assess tolerance - start low/slow.
6) Caffeine or a simple "stim" can aid wonderfully through the transition

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
fascinating. this is beyond my knowledge, so i ask a question :

is it possible to gain muscle on a no carb diet, and if so, how does that muscle gain relate to what you would gain on a regular carb diet?

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
fascinating. this is beyond my knowledge, so i ask a question :

is it possible to gain muscle on a no carb diet, and if so, how does that muscle gain relate to what you would gain on a regular carb diet?
It is possible to gain muscle on a low carb cyclic diet. I wouldn't say the gains are on par on what you can achieve with a carb rich diet, but in terms of my personal experience they are leaner gains.

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
i would say it depends on the individuals chemistry. You have to experiment to see what works better for you.

I have been able to gain muscle and lose fat simultaneously (meaning i weigh the same but im bigger and leaner). Now im not talking about a huge difference but i am talking about a percentage or two difference while increasing over strength.

When I was on a carb rich diet, i seemed to gain muscle...but at the same time i gained far more fat. There are times i go days without carbs but as long as i keep calories up i can gain solid weigh.

My personal opinion is a very low carb/high carb cycling program with high to medium fats and very high protein. This is what works best for me to date. But i am still experimenting with diet.

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
The Franklin Institute has provided a webpage with verifiable links (http://www.fi.edu/learn/brain/carbs.html) claiming that glucose is required for proper brain function and that without carbohydrates brain function will decrease. Your body does have glycogen reserves but extended zero carbohydrate diets will take their toll on the brain. As far as quantifying the number of required carbs.... I can not find any literature data supporting a specific number. My motto.... a beer a day keeps the brain at play.

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
carbohydrates are broken down to glucose...Glucose is mandatory for bodily/brain function. You are absolutely right

But...glucose can be derived from fats and proteins...brain function should not be compromised

blood glucose levels spike with intake of carbohydrates but they can remain consistent even if no carbs are introduced via said pathways

some of those studies the brain was deprived(hippocampus) of glucose meaning they didnt allow any glucose. Even glucose that was converted from other sources.

Aviad

Aviad

Board Sponsor
Awards
carbohydrates are broken down to glucose...Glucose is mandatory for bodily/brain function. You are absolutely right

But...glucose can be derived from fats and proteins...brain function should not be compromised

blood glucose levels spike with intake of carbohydrates but they can remain consistent even if no carbs are introduced via said pathways

some of those studies the brain was deprived(hippocampus) of glucose meaning they didnt allow any glucose. Even glucose that was converted from other sources.
this is a great post with some great responses. I would say in addition what is the bigger picture. There is no absolute diet...some people find success with low to zero carb diets and others are in the 300 -400 grams or more a day ritual, and still ripped. I really depends on the individual. You can always point out examples of someone who makes there diet work...that is what I think it is all about. Of course there are certain guidelines that we are all aware of and follow but ultimately you have to be happy with what you are doing. I stay around 125 grams a day and find great success with that; most times in comes in lower than that. Your amount of carbs is very dependent on your daily life and practices such as:

1. Are you just lifting or are you an athlete or both? If you are the later, a low carb approach will simply not work in most cases.

2. How do you function as far as your mood is concerned on restricted carbohydrates? Speaking for myself, I know complex carb intake improves the mood and low to no carb dieting is brutal at times. If I find myself getting irritable for no reason or fatigued I know I could use some complex carbs pronto!

3. What is your end game. I have read allot of posts and I will guess everyone isn’t a competitive bodybuilder. I know we all want to look our best but life is meant to be lived. That doesn’t mean living is eating countless bowls of lucky charms but why restrict yourself from things you enjoy all the time…just my take. Some people have found a happy medium with low carbs and healthy fats so more power to them.

I know I my get ripped for this post but I think like many do that excess carbs are unnecessary. I also know others that eat carbs like crazy and stay lean so it is all about what works for you!

Currently waiting for my first bottle of Glycobol, I think distribution, disposal and use of carbs is the key…not so much the amount or elimination of them. When I use my N R-ALA and proper carb timing my composition and energy couldn’t be better. I don’t ever see myself cutting out carbs all together…there are simply to many healthy aspects of carbs that I try to benefit from….plus they taste good!

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established

However, if you include intense exercise in your training regimen, that will also consume glucose since FFA's are not readily useable at higher intensities. Of course it depends on quantities, but in short carbs allow you to train harder without getting gassed.