• White

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Wheat

Votes: 44 93.6%

• Total voters
Deadlift3

Deadlift3

Awards
Im trying to get answers as to how many people including my self eat white bread and are still lean. Whats your favorite type of bread?

purebred

I try to avoid processed, nutrient-lacking foods. Wheat/whole grain breads deliver useful nutrients, fiber and a good source of carbs/energy. I'll eat white if there's nothing else but I tend to stay away from processed foods. There are too many better alternatives to do my body the injustice of eating white bread. ;)

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
id never eat white bread, its not even bread anymore.... i buy dark german wheat, its pretty much black and has so many whole grains. one slice of that and you are full

TimberLakers

TimberLakers

Awards
  • Established
Why you gotta turn this into a black and white thing. :nono:

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ezekiel bread for the win...

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
You should look into the proccessing that white bread undergoes, besides the fact that it's got good ol' HFCS. You might be able to handle it and stay lean because the rest of your diet is good, but that doesnt mean you should be eating it :)

purebred

You should look into the proccessing that white bread undergoes, besides the fact that it's got good ol' HFCS. You might be able to handle it and stay lean because the rest of your diet is good, but that doesnt mean you should be eating it :)
the propaganda the Corn Refiners Association put out are hilarious. they have spoofs of those ads on youtube. they're hilarious

keeper

I like Nature's Own Whitewheat. 2 slices contain:

110 cal
2 g fat
0.5 sat fat
0 trans fat
0 cholest
23 carbs
5 g fiber
2 g sugar
6 g protein

I know that's not quite as great as the dark wheats, but this stuff has the taste and texture of white bread. I'll eat a little cleaner in other areas to avoid bread that has the texture of styrofoam.

tumtum

Awards
  • Established
yeah.. i still cant eat wheat... it's just nasty.. i eat nasty **** everyday.. when i eat bread by god i'm gonna eat somethin that makes the plain tuna i have between it taste better

i'm no scientists or nutritionist.... but i see the difference between white and wheat being something like the difference between taking in 300 grams of protein a day and 295 grams.. i mean.. yeah.. it's not as good... but if muscle doesn't grow it's not because of it

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
Oh yea the muscle will grow regardless, the question is whether you want to get a serving of whole grains out of that bread or not. Whether it will provide you with good fiber or a handfull of fillers. Lets see the differences...

The white flour used to make white bread is bleached to give it longer shelf life and to hide white flour's original yellow color, usually with chlorine dioxide gas or benzoyl peroxide (pesticides yummm). The flour itself has the bran and the wheat germ removed, which contains all the minerals and vitamins. It is then enriched with vitamins to a point, but thats not really the same. White bread also digests too easily and spikes blood sugar levels too quickly, in comparison to a lower GI whole grain bread.

White bread contains high levels of gluten which is known for damaging walls of intestines. Combination of refined flour and refined sugar in W.B. lead to tooth decay. What I personally want out of bread is fiber, and there is so little left in WB that you need to eat about 8 slices to get as much as 1 Whole Wheat slice contains. Thats almost the whole loaf!!!

And finally,

"In a Harvard study of 75,000 nurses, those who ate at least three servings a day of whole grains cut their heart attack risk by 35 percent and were less likely to get into weight or bowel trouble. By contrast, those who ate more processed foods—such as white bread, white rice and sodas—were more than twice as likely to develop diabetes."

So yeah if you desperately need calories then I guess it does not matter, but when making a lifetime choice to eat a certain product I think there should be more consideration. Just my 2 cents, not bashing anything or anyone.

soultrain

soultrain

Awards
Oh yea the muscle will grow regardless, the question is whether you want to get a serving of whole grains out of that bread or not. Whether it will provide you with good fiber or a handfull of fillers. Lets see the differences...

The white flour used to make white bread is bleached to give it longer shelf life and to hide white flour's original yellow color, usually with chlorine dioxide gas or benzoyl peroxide (pesticides yummm). The flour itself has the bran and the wheat germ removed, which contains all the minerals and vitamins. It is then enriched with vitamins to a point, but thats not really the same. White bread also digests too easily and spikes blood sugar levels too quickly, in comparison to a lower GI whole grain bread.

White bread contains high levels of gluten which is known for damaging walls of intestines. Combination of refined flour and refined sugar in W.B. lead to tooth decay. What I personally want out of bread is fiber, and there is so little left in WB that you need to eat about 8 slices to get as much as 1 Whole Wheat slice contains. Thats almost the whole loaf!!!

And finally,

"In a Harvard study of 75,000 nurses, those who ate at least three servings a day of whole grains cut their heart attack risk by 35 percent and were less likely to get into weight or bowel trouble. By contrast, those who ate more processed foods—such as white bread, white rice and sodas—were more than twice as likely to develop diabetes."

So yeah if you desperately need calories then I guess it does not matter, but when making a lifetime choice to eat a certain product I think there should be more consideration. Just my 2 cents, not bashing anything or anyone.
:goodpost:

Amen brother.

sonofsteven

Awards
  • Established
White bread sticks to my teeth. Weird consistency . Arnold's Multigrain only .:food:

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
sara lee 100% whole wheat

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Depends what I am eating it for. The only time I eat white bread is post workout since its fast digesting. Other than that I try to keep my insulin levels rather stable with low GI carbs.

mrlargecalves

Awards
  • Established
i try to avoid white bread most time but pb n j sandwiches just arent the same without white bread. might try whitewheat to get the same texture of white with a little more nutrients

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
Most of the time the whitewheat is the same flour as white, if you look at the ingredients. Another sneaky food manufacturers trick, make the bread a little brown and pass it off as whole wheat. Just make sure the ingredients list doesnt have enriched wheat flour or high fructose corn syrup.

ccapone1153

ccapone1153

Awards
  • Established
Ezekiel bread for the win...
Ezekiel bread is by FAR the best choice of breads, it breaks down in your body the same as brown rice. Most wheat breads are still processed and not an ideal source of carbs IMO

mrlargecalves

Awards
  • Established
Ezekiel bread is by FAR the best choice of breads, it breaks down in your body the same as brown rice. Most wheat breads are still processed and not an ideal source of carbs IMO
can u further explain the differences?

ccapone1153

ccapone1153

Awards
  • Established
can u further explain the differences?

It's an organic-sprouted-whole-grain-bread that is not only a complete protein but also weighs in very low on the Glycemic Index. These are the kind of carbs we want to be eating, whole unprocessed whole grain products. All you have to do is take a close look at this bread to see all the whole grains that it consists of.

Unlike many breads on the market today you will not see ingredients like enriched wheat flour, high fructose corn syrup, or preservatives listed in the ingredients. Some of the ingredients you will see are sprouted barley, millet, lentils, spelt, and soybeans

Remember, when choosing any breads you want to look for whole grains over simply whole wheat flour. This is easy enough because all you have to do is look at the bread… if you see whole grains and seeds you know you’ve got a good one. If you’re bread is brown but soft and fluffy you might want to take a closer look at the list of ingredients.

Deadlift3

Deadlift3

Awards
I like Nature's Own Whitewheat. 2 slices contain:

110 cal
2 g fat
0.5 sat fat
0 trans fat
0 cholest
23 carbs
5 g fiber
2 g sugar
6 g protein

I know that's not quite as great as the dark wheats, but this stuff has the taste and texture of white bread. I'll eat a little cleaner in other areas to avoid bread that has the texture of styrofoam.

Just a trick like someone said on here. It still contains bleached flour. Im sticking to Martins wheat bread. Its really good trust me you should try it. I never liked wheat bread but after trying this particular brand Im hooked!

lozgod

lozgod

Awards
  • Established
Wonder Light Whole Wheat. 9 grams of non fiber carbs/40 calories per slice.

lozgod

lozgod

Awards
  • Established
It's an organic-sprouted-whole-grain-bread that is not only a complete protein but also weighs in very low on the Glycemic Index. These are the kind of carbs we want to be eating, whole unprocessed whole grain products. All you have to do is take a close look at this bread to see all the whole grains that it consists of.

Unlike many breads on the market today you will not see ingredients like enriched wheat flour, high fructose corn syrup, or preservatives listed in the ingredients. Some of the ingredients you will see are sprouted barley, millet, lentils, spelt, and soybeans

Remember, when choosing any breads you want to look for whole grains over simply whole wheat flour. This is easy enough because all you have to do is look at the bread… if you see whole grains and seeds you know you’ve got a good one. If you’re bread is brown but soft and fluffy you might want to take a closer look at the list of ingredients.
All of this is true but that stuff tastes horrible to me. If you can stomach it more power to you. I can't.

MattD1

Awards
Arnolds %100 whole wheat! no hfcs

gunna have to look into ezekiel bread, how is it price wise?

BabyHulk

BabyHulk

Awards
  • Established
All of this is true but that stuff tastes horrible to me. If you can stomach it more power to you. I can't.
I can't eat it if it's not toasted. That solved my problem. Now that is the only bread I like and will eat.

D3vildog

D3vildog

Awards
  • Established
Wheat or this **** Called Health nut... i dunno i dont eat much bread anymore but i only eat wheat now.

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
i dont understand the huge debate.

one is higher GI than the other.

most people can stay thin eating moderate amounts of high GI items. you may as well have made a thread, Sweet potatoes or regular potatoes.

mrlargecalves

Awards
  • Established
does ezekial actually taste that bad? i actually like health nut? bread. very grainy

BabyHulk

BabyHulk

Awards
  • Established
does ezekial actually taste that bad? i actually like health nut? bread. very grainy
Try it to see. Everyone is different. I liked it from the jump. Some people say it has an "acquired" taste. You can definitely tell its not processed. It takes a while to chew it up.

buuzer0

buuzer0

Awards
  • Established
Where do you get this Ezekial bread? I'm guessing whole foods type stores and not your normal grocery stores (like Walmart, publix, etc) right?

Honestly I have been eating whatever bread was put in front of me my whole life (Captain John Durst's Good Old Fashioned = f'n delicious and I mainly grew up on the stuff, and luckily didn't get fat) but wouldn't mind trying the healthier stuff for a bit. Last loaf I bought was Sara Lee's Honey Whole Wheat (was buying Sara Lee's Honey Wheat, but saw on the ingredients that it uses the enriched flour... guess that's why it tasted so much better than the honey whole wheat huh).

This stuff tastes incredible, and it's mainly sold in the south I believe (florida, georgia is where i've seen it). Stays fresh for way longer than other breads I've had. Delicious? YES. Healthy? HELL NO. Haha:

Ingredients: Bleached Wheat Flour, Water, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Yeast, Contains 2% Or Less of Each of The Following Soybean Oil, Salt, Whey, Soy Flour, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Monoglycerides, Calcium Sulfate, Wheat Flour, Calcium Propionate (A Preservative), Calcium Sulfate, Beta, Carotene, Monocalcium Phosphate, Milk, Ammonium Sulfate, Malted Barley Flour, Potassium Bromate, Azodicarbonamide, Ferrous Sulfate(Iron), Niacin (A B Vitamin), Thiamin Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Folic Acid (A B Vitamin)

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10451467#ProductDetail

BabyHulk

BabyHulk

Awards
  • Established
I usually get mine at Sunshine Health Foods. But they carry it at Kroger where Im from. Its in the frozen section. Its about 1.25 higher at Kroger, though.
Also, the freezer thing is good too. It will last forever. I usually buy 2-3 loaves at a time, and they never burn or ruin.

loki515

Awards
I LOVE white bread and can't really stand wheat eat it sometimes . Just not a fan of it. I was wondering how much better pumpernickel or rye bread are compared to white bread? anyone have some info on that?

wow i was only the second to vote for white bread.. lmao