how much coffee

jordybb

jordybb

Awards
Hey guys i was pbserving my diet . My biggest "need" is coffee. I don't drink soda's or alcohol or anything other then water and 2% milk (on occasion) but...I drink coffee. I'm in law enforcement and it's a staple in my day. It's more of a habit then a need though. I don't get headaches without caffeine or anything like that but i'm so used to driving around having something to sip on while on duty that it's just habit now. I used to just use sugar, but over the last few years i've started using flavored creamer as well (no fat). From what I read, sugar is one of the biggest no-no's as it is.

So, how much coffee is okay? And only black coffee? What about substitue sugars..

THANX..

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
Well coffee acts as a diuretic. Are we taliking about only drinking coffee for your entire shift? Flavored creamers can have a bunch of sugar too if you don't watch out. If it is jsut the habit of drinking something all day, get a gallon thermos cooler and fill with water and/or add some BCAA's liek extend to it. Would be much better than coffee all the time.

p00ndawg

p00ndawg

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Well coffee acts as a diuretic. Are we taliking about only drinking coffee for your entire shift? Flavored creamers can have a bunch of sugar too if you don't watch out. If it is jsut the habit of drinking something all day, get a gallon thermos cooler and fill with water and/or add some BCAA's liek extend to it. Would be much better than coffee all the time.
do you have any clinical studies that say this?
Ive been looking for one.

artificial sweetners arent a big deal. I would say 2 cups of coffee is alot for me, but you didnt mention how much you drink, although you mention sipping it all day.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
do you have any clinical studies that say this?
Ive been looking for one.
there are studies that say caffeine is a diuretic. decaf coffee is a different beast, though you still should be mindful of any changes of stomach acidity.

joelast

joelast

Awards
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Coffee's got alot of anti-oxidants in it. The only think I don't like is consuming caffeine when it's not pre-workout, I feel like it takes away from my pre-workout mix. I would also watch the sugar if you're sensative to it.

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
coffee is good for you. if you are trying to cut weight then stay away from the milk and creamer. it is amazing how quickly the body adjusts so try to drink your coffee black - you'll get used to it. small amount of sugar is okay - i prefer sweet n' low but that's because i grew up on it and am now hooked on it, not because its better for you (since it probably causes cancer).

you also mentioned that you sip on it all day and perhaps should be aware that you may have what is termed and oral fixation. I have one. Essentially you just like to chew on something - for me i need a mint or gum or water or coffee - otherwise i chew on my pen or a coffee stirrer or eat food. This oral fixation afflicts a majority of people and accounts for over-weight issues as well as the number of people who smoke.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I remember watching a show that discussed various effects on teeth. Supposedly certain molecules bind more stronlgy to teeth than others. IIRC the only one that seemed to "stain" (so to speak) teeth worse than coffee was smoking. So maybe that's something that you have to consider with your coffee habit.

Most of the other things that are believed to stain teeth broke their bonds very easily with a quick mouth rinse with water... things like pop for example, again IIRC.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
I found coffee messes with my digestion, my whole stomach would be turning upside down if I drink it after breakfast. I guess if you have been waiting for a while to go #2 then its not such a bad thing, but my digestion is usually on point. The teeth staining is huuuge also. Try switching to tea, any convinience store has it just as available, half the ammount of caffeine, dont need any artificial sweetener/creamer, doesnt stain teeth. I dont think there is any health issues with coffee, except for raising your blood pressure which isnt always a bad thing. People with low BP often need caffeine just to walk outside.

eatingisfun

eatingisfun

Awards
  • Established
If you aren't addicted to the caffeine, try switching to tea if you like it. There's much less caffeine and it still fills the need to be drinking something. BTW, I don't think you need any studies to say that caffeine is a diuretic. Just drink a bunch and you piss like crazy(at least I do).

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I prefer an IV Coffee Drip. I'm on the stuff 24/7. Just remember to brush them teeth an extra couple times a day (even a little touch up work if fine) and drink it BLACK! None of that creamer garbage. Too much sugars and artificial sweeteners. BAD!

loki515

Awards
Not a true statement there, I am a firefighter and drink tons of coffee also and was worried about the sugar intake so I grabbed a bottle of international delight Hazelnut favor it has 20 cals, 02fat, 0 choles, 0 sodium, 1 carb, and 0 sugar.

Does say corn syrup in the ingredients but also says add a trivial amount of sugar, so basically sugar free.