Muscle & Fitness diet...

ca180

Awards
I'm not sure if anyone has the newest muscle and fitness magazine, but I was looking for the "ultimate" diet that it prescribed. I was flipping through the mag while shopping at walmart and liked what I saw. Thought I might use a modified (down) version of it. I'm not big, so 300+ grams of protein is a bit excessive, but the overall plan looked good. I don't think I can do 12 egg whites for breakfast :worried:

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
thats guaranteed liver damage from all that protein and possible biotin deficiency from too many eggwhites. there is absolutely no way you can safely handle 300+ gs of protein as a 160 pound dude unless you are juicing, then you can sythesize a lot more than a regular human. those magazine diets will have you broke and living on the toilet. I say eat what feels good, calculate your approximate calorie intake and add/subtract from that. I never count grams, just eat a strict/steady diet that feels good and its incredible how well that works.

ca180

Awards
thats guaranteed liver damage from all that protein and possible biotin deficiency from too many eggwhites. there is absolutely no way you can safely handle 300+ gs of protein as a 160 pound dude unless you are juicing, then you can sythesize a lot more than a regular human. those magazine diets will have you broke and living on the toilet. I say eat what feels good, calculate your approximate calorie intake and add/subtract from that. I never count grams, just eat a strict/steady diet that feels good and its incredible how well that works.
Great advice. I'm trying to get that last of the fat off of my midsection. I generally eat healthy. I do eat about four pieces of bread a day (2 toast w/bfast and 2 for sandwich w/lunch). Should I find a way to completely cut that out? That is actually the majority of the carbs I intake.

I leave for USAF basic 12 July, so I'm not really planning on doing anything drastic yet because I hear the crappy food and joke PT will do more harm than good.

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
instead of low carb all the time...look into carb cycling

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
Great advice. I'm trying to get that last of the fat off of my midsection. I generally eat healthy. I do eat about four pieces of bread a day (2 toast w/bfast and 2 for sandwich w/lunch). Should I find a way to completely cut that out? That is actually the majority of the carbs I intake.

I leave for USAF basic 12 July, so I'm not really planning on doing anything drastic yet because I hear the crappy food and joke PT will do more harm than good.
Yea man if you want to cut the last fat then eliminate most of the starches, like bread and pasta. Maybe 1 piece of bread a day. Instead try to get non starches like carrots/tomato/brocolli (all uncooked), Im sure you can probably eat those in the cafe. Try to bring a big jar of organic virgin unrefined coconut oil with you and just put it in tea or something else where it will melt, this should help you keep your metabolism high. But yea from what I hear the military doesnt really care much for good nutrition, makes no sense to me. I guess start over when you get back bro.

ca180

Awards
Yea man if you want to cut the last fat then eliminate most of the starches, like bread and pasta. Maybe 1 piece of bread a day. Instead try to get non starches like carrots/tomato/brocolli (all uncooked), Im sure you can probably eat those in the cafe. Try to bring a big jar of organic virgin unrefined coconut oil with you and just put it in tea or something else where it will melt, this should help you keep your metabolism high. But yea from what I hear the military doesnt really care much for good nutrition, makes no sense to me. I guess start over when you get back bro.
I don't really have a problem kicking the carbs, I just can't think of quick-n-filling options other than the bread I already stated. Here's the rundown of what I eat. Bare in mind that I'm not very strict at times, but I know when I ship and I'm trying to enjoy all the little things about the "free life"...

My daily diet is...
Breakfast (0700): 3 scrambled eggs, two pieces of toast (wheat or potato bread) and a shot (glass) of cayenne pepper (approximately 1/2 tsp).

Lunch (1300): Ham and Turkey sandwich with the recommended serving size of 4 pieces of meat and real sliced cheese (one slice). And two chopped carrots and a fat free yogurt as a side.

Pre-workout (1600): One whey protein shake (52 grams of protein I think) and sometimes NO explode or Vassive-NO (depending on where I workout).

Dinner (2030): Usually a 6~8 ounce chicken breast (Super spicy... like 1 tablespoon of cayenne) and about 1 1/2~2 cups of broccoli and cauliflower (only salted and peppered).

It seems that I'm taking in about 1800~1900 calories, but according to some estimater (can't remember the site) I need around 3500 due to all my physical activity. What gives?

I need to post some before (around January) and present pics. I was close to 195 in Jan, now I'm right around 155ish. I just can't get cut! It's killin me!

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
I think you are under eating pretty seriously. Just like you said you are burning calories and therefore need more than the maintenance amount. Im surprised you have energy to even get in the gym :)

I also see no healthy fats, thats one of the most important things if you wanna get cut and to have good levels of testosterone. How about this sample breakdown:

Breakfast: 3-4 eggs + 3-4 whites, 1 or 2 packets of Oatmeal instead of bread (way more healthy and gives long lasting energy), fruit juice, Fish Oil (one way to get fats in). I often chase breakfast with a protein shake to get my morning going.

There has got to be a snack in between breakfast and lunch, otherwise you are starving.. esp the day after lifting. Good snacks are fruits, any kind of nuts (NOT fried/roasted/salted), or that protein shake. Shake and that carrot could do the trick.

Lunch: Wrap instead of 2 pieces of bread, or spinach salad with chicken breast. Chicken breast alone with carrots/tomato/brocolli. Forget 4 slices of meat man, you are lifting weights!!! Load that mother effer up. If you are doing a salad, put some fresh olive oil (fats once again) or finish with another Fish Oil cap.

Pre-workout: You need a little carbs so you can lift well, do the shake with some oatmeal. Either cook the oatmeal or just put it right in the shake if you can handle chokin that down. Makes no difference to me so I usually do either. Have a banana or some orange, any kind of fruit really, except for the really sweet ones (watermelon,pineapple, etc)

Post workout: Another shake, this time you also need carbs to replace the glycogen used during the workout. The sweet fruits will do the trick here if you can get your hands on them, maybe a little gatorade. People use different things for post workout carbs, there is plenty of discussion on this board about that. I like dextrose/maltodextrin but it is not required.

Dinner: Should be about an hour or 1.5 after lifting, chicken breast or salmon/tuna with veggies will do. Sounds like you got dinner figured out. Mix up the veggies, keep it all uncooked, and avoid starches like bread/pasta/white rice. Avoid fish oil or any other fats during post workout meal, the only time of day to avoid them.

Finally if you can get your hands on some Casein protein this will be very beneficial to drink before bed, and will give you some calories too. Get more fats in your diet: salmon, fish oil, uncooked olive oil, unrefined coconut oil, any types of nuts. Thats the most important part of the equation.

Obviously you cant follow this diet in the service but do your best. This should give you close to 3000 cal I think. You gotta eat man, your metabolism will only slow down and store fat if you go for long periods of time without eating. By healthy snacking through out the day you can get it going much faster. Anything else you wanna know?

ca180

Awards
That's some great info. I'm gonna post some before (Januaryish) pictures, current (before I leave for basic) pictures and I'll update when I get back.Once in Tech school I will follow your advice whole heartedly, as well as the next three weeks before I go. I don't think I can do 3 eggs and 3 egg whites. Money is tight. My diet is a pretty good reflection of my budget within certain constraints.

I tried 2 eggs (all I had left) and 1 serving of oats and feel pretty good so far. The oats seem to "stick to your ribs". Still no hunger, but I only woke up at 12 and ate at 12:30.
Next week will be a normal week and I'll give it a go. I just wonder if my body can handle that much food. I become accustomed to not eating that much now.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
You gotta ease yourself into this kind of diet, so increase the serving sizes/meal frequency as you go and you'll be able to tell the difference. As far as budget goes, there are ways around it.
Eggwhites are always going to cost an arm and a leg unless you order a bunch, so you can stick to eggs. Find your local Costco/Sams club/any discount wholesale food store. Membership is about $50 per year, but it pays for itself after a couple months of trips. They have huge sizes of oatmeal for basically the same price that supermarkets charge for a pack of 8, its insane. They also have big cartons of eggs, this could all get budgeted in carefully. Costco also sells Fish oil caps, I get them like $10 for 400, which is a good supply for 1 guy. Any grocery store should have BIG packs of chicken, like $2 a pound. Not the most organic chicken raised but it will do, helped me gain like 30 pounds in college lol. As for fruits, if you can afford it at least rotate 1 at a time, costco has a great deal but you should spend some time comparing prices of different fruits at different stores. This is basically about setting up a new regimen to follow, once you get used to putting money aside/buying these specific things it should get easier and easier. Costco also has big bags of nuts which could also be rotated in your diet, buying a different bag when an old one runs out.
Vegetables are always pricey, maybe there is a local produce market or farm around you? This could work, just like buying in bulk.
Dont ever waste your money on bottled water, get a brita or another filter. You can buy tuna in huge amounts for a decent price, just dont go overboard with eating it all day long..(sodium,mercury, etc...)

ABSOLUTELY stop buy NO xplode and any of that other caffeine/creatine mono loaded CRAP. You don't need those to work out or to trim up. And they cost $50 or more. Thats
a lot of money that could be used to buy good whole food. Eat some oatmeal before you go lift and I guarantee you'll have just as good of a workout as with those over-marketed over-hyped ronnie coleman sell out teenage bating sugar loaded supplements. They are making a killing and dudes are having a hard time buying food.

Instead of casein protein you can get some cottage cheese before bed, maybe some low fat cheese. No need to post pictures yet my brother, you will be able to tell yourself the difference all this food makes.

ca180

Awards
The NO explode and Vassive NO were given to me by a friend. He doesn't drink coffee or anything and said that both gave him major jitters.

So, in regards to cottage cheese... This is a good over night protein source? I wouldn't mind one bit eating some before I head off to bead. I'm usually a little hungry anyways. I thought that I had heard that cottage cheese was too high in fat for people trying to lose weight. Also, if that is false, what is a good amount to eat? I can seriously sit down and eat a whole tub... MMmmmmmmm

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
Id say around 10-15 oz should be good, dont eat the whole tub the gut needs a rest at night. Hope my advice helps.