Eat Raw Fish ... Get a 9-Foot Tapeworm

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
Eat Raw Fish ... Get a 9-Foot Tapeworm - ABC News

One summer day in August 2006, Anthony Franz went to a Chicago area hospital carrying a 9-foot worm.

He did not find it in his garden.
Franz is one of the few, but growing number of tapeworm victims in cities across the world who are discovering (or rediscovering) that some of the most popular fish can host parasites.

Although still rare, a study this June showed salmon tapeworm infestations tripled from an average of 0.32 cases per 100,000 people each year in Kyoto, Japan, to at least to 1 case in 100,000 people in 2008. As more people adopt sushi and undercooked fish diets around the world so too, has the worm spread.

The article, printed in Emerging Infectious Diseases, tracked the movement of tapeworm infection for 20 years as reports migrated from rural fishing villages in Japan to urban centers around the world, including France, Switzerland and the United States.

"Usually, with this particular warm it produces discomfort, some pain, and it can produce anemia," said Dr. Felipe C. Cabello professor of Microbiology and Immunology at New York Medical College in Valhalla.

A more dangerous worm, a nematode called anisakis, can burrow into the stomach wall and require surgery. But Cabello said the fish tapeworm can still slowly drain a person's energy.

The parasite sucks the vitamin B12, and the person with the parasite does not have enough," said Cabello. "This is a worm that can reach 25 feet and it might take months, a year to grow."

In 2008 a Czech tourist fell ill from eating raw sockeye salmon in Vancouver, Canada. According to an article in The Oregonian, the man only discovered a tapeworm when he returned home. Other forms of salmon tapeworm have been found in sushi-eating urbanites in Brazil, according to a July 2007 report in Emerging Infectious Diseases.

In Franz's case, the offending creature was the Diphyllobothrium latum. Franz was not available for comment and is suing an Illinois seafood restaurant for $100,000.

"Basically we discovered that this particular tapeworm was caused from uncooked seafood, particularly salmon," said Franz's attorney, Gregory Leiter. "That's what he brought into the hospital."

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
never eating raw fish again, I already had my doubts

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
yeah I'm really bummed. They do have baked rolls on most menus so I might not fully give it up...

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
who gives a damn lol. tapeworms are treatable, I like sushi. Actually my ex had worms....thats why I got rid of her :D

But its not a fatal thing I dont think, and its treatable. In other ways other than shooting it out your arse.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
OMG HILARIOUS!!

So wait... what are symptoms of worms?

j rad

j rad

Awards
who gives a damn lol. tapeworms are treatable, I like sushi. Actually my ex had worms....thats why I got rid of her :D

But its not a fatal thing I dont think, and its treatable. In other ways other than shooting it out your arse.
Gotta stay away from those dogs man....
:hitit:

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
I heard it is horrible having one of those boys living inside you, eating your food and etc... I guess this once again proves that you cant trust ANYone handling your food, just cook it up. There is no way that every piece of salmon coming through the line in every part of the world is examined 100%, dirty world we are living in.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
OMG HILARIOUS!!

So wait... what are symptoms of worms?
Intestinal discomfort, discolored stool, drained energy stores, etc. She really actually had them. I was pissed when she told me, because I was worried(uneducated at the time) somehow I coulda contracted them because we were intimate together.

Gotta stay away from those dogs man....
:hitit:
I thought she was the most beautiful woman in the world, now I completely understand that song "Sometimes I thank God, Fooor unanswered prayers"

:wave2:

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
just wait until the worms start wriggling out your anus

StuartGould

Awards

Believe it or not the "traditional " way to get rid of a tapeworm is to dangle a piece of bread on string over the poor sod's mouth while they r asleep, wait for it to stiick it's head out and pull the "@?& out of there. Serious

btw u can get them and other nasties from pretty much all undercooked meat

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Believe it or not the "traditional " way to get rid of a tapeworm is to dangle a piece of bread on string over the poor sod's mouth while they r asleep, wait for it to stiick it's head out and pull the "@?& out of there. Serious

You know you can get worms first pass by walking barefoot ^.^ I duno abut our country, but I know you can in some of the other ones in rice patty fields n such. Not sure if its the same kinda worm, but it is parasitic.

The worst thing to get from meat, is pylons I think they are called. Its a parasite that bores tunnels through your brain. Once you got it, game over.

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
You know you can get worms first pass by walking barefoot ^.^ I duno abut our country, but I know you can in some of the other ones in rice patty fields n such. Not sure if its the same kinda worm, but it is parasitic.

The worst thing to get from meat, is pylons I think they are called. Its a parasite that bores tunnels through your brain. Once you got it, game over.

I dont believe all this ****. Just superstition. Anything entering your stomach gets killed quickly by acids in stomach.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established

ah yeah the old dangling bread in front of the mouth trick. That'll get em. I heard gay sex kills them pretty quick too.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
I dont believe all this ****. Just superstition. Anything entering your stomach gets killed quickly by acids in stomach.
Really? You know how most children who get worms recycle it? They scratch their bum, and then at some point they touch their mouth or food and it comes around another cycle. you would be surprised what can survive stomach acid mate. I have studied parasitic worms a few times back in HS, and even recently in College for Biology. They can survive. How else do you get em? Does someone shoot it up our arse into your lower intestines?

And Pylons are a medical disease, look it up. Caused by CONSUMPTION, there fore yest it survives the all mighty average human stomach acid.

Think about it some man...Better yet, research it some man.

StuartGould

Awards
ah yeah the old dangling bread in front of the mouth trick. That'll get em. I heard gay sex kills them pretty quick too.
Ya. Total nonsense. But based on a sound principle. If u just pull on the tail which sometimes dangles out the ass the worm breaks off leaving the head (scolex) still attached to the gut. So the bastid just regrows.

So u have to give an antihelminthic and wait for the whole business to come out the other end. Sometimes in pieces. I know. I had to fish the bits out of someones stool once because my then boss wanted a picture of the thing

Gator 87

Awards
  • Established
You think tape worms are a superstition??? LMFAO
The reason that they survive the stomach is that they exude a special greasy coating that protects them from the stomach acid and everything else. I remember reading that the modern treatment for tape-worms is a pill which causes them to lose the ability to produce the coating stuff, so that they die and are digested.

Gator 87

Awards
  • Established
Hook worms. There are tons of varieties of these.

It sounds like you're thinking of amoebas here. There have been cases in the South (texas and Florida, I think) where people have contracted them and died from swimming in a lake and getting water up their nose. These things are microscopic and untreatable.

StuartGould

Awards
Hook worms. There are tons of varieties of these.

It sounds like you're thinking of amoebas here. There have been cases in the South (texas and Florida, I think) where people have contracted them and died from swimming in a

lake and getting water up their nose. These things are
microscopic and untreatable.
yep. Amoeboea usually cause dysentery or liver abscess, but can cause brain abscess.

Actually if found early enough can be easily treated with metranidazole (antibiotic ) but if big may need surgery.

Similar thing can happen with the dog tapeworm (echimococcus) - faecal oral spread from dog poop. Fortunately in the uk dog owners have to pick up said sh&t in a plastic bag and take it home. Reduced the risk to kids playing in parks etc

D3vildog

D3vildog

Awards
  • Established
hm, can't say i'm entirley worried about it since i cook all my own food. I do eat sushi often, maybe twice a month tho.

MrBigPR

MrBigPR

NutraPlanet Rep
Awards
  • Established
Carried the 9 foot worm to the hospital...explain that one :puke:

TaPo31

Awards
I believe that you are talking about prions. Very interesting organism as it doesn't contain any nucleic acids. Cause of bovine spongiform encephalopathy, or mad cow disease. It basically turns your brain to mush.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
just wait until the worms start wriggling out your anus
I thought that was only after you started taking medication to get rid of them. :borladuck:

StuartGould

Awards
I thought that was only after you started taking medication to get rid of them. :borladuck:
Not threadworms. They come out of the anus at night and lay their eggs. That's what makes the itch. We used to diagnose them by approaching the sleeping child at night with a torch and sticky tape. Torch to spot the adults, tape to pick up some eggs to confirm diagnosis.

Nowadays we would be arrested for child molestation...

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Not threadworms. They come out of the anus at night and lay their eggs. That's what makes the itch. We used to diagnose them by approaching the sleeping child at night with a torch and sticky tape. Torch to spot the adults, tape to pick up some eggs to confirm diagnosis.

this thread just keeps getting better :006:

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
I believe that you are talking about prions. Very interesting organism as it doesn't contain any nucleic acids. Cause of bovine spongiform encephalopathy, or mad cow disease. It basically turns your brain to mush.
MY man nailed it, thank you.Yes those are what I was thinking of. Those things creep my out, you get it, you are better off jumping off a building.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prion

StuartGould

Awards
the most "interesting" of these is Kuru. Affected male members of a New Guinea tribe eating the brain of dead relatives as a sign of respect. The women ate the non cns parts and did not get it.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
the most "interesting" of these is Kuru. Affected male members of a New Guinea tribe eating the brain of dead relatives as a sign of respect. The women ate the non cns parts and did not get it.
I would prefer my kin DONT eat my brains when I die, as a sign of respect :)

Gator 87

Awards
  • Established
We used to diagnose them by approaching the sleeping child at night with a torch and sticky tape. Torch to spot the adults, tape to pick up some eggs to confirm diagnosis.

I really hope that "torch" is British for flashlight...or I could see that going horribly wrong.

StuartGould

Awards
I really hope that "torch" is British for flashlight...or I could see that going horribly wrong.
Ha ha got it. A torch in the USA is fire isn't it? Yes, flashlight. And we had to wear very quiet shoes. Sensitive hearing, enterobius

Gator 87

Awards
  • Established
ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
Eat the worm afterwards, its like fattening a pig.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
just don't order the tape worm roll. there's a reason why its happy hour price