Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.99%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Eat Raw Fish ... Get a 9-Foot Tapeworm

Eat Raw Fish ... Get a 9-Foot Tapeworm - ABC News

One summer day in August 2006, Anthony Franz went to a Chicago area hospital carrying a 9-foot worm.

He did not find it in his garden.
    Franz is one of the few, but growing number of tapeworm victims in cities across the world who are discovering (or rediscovering) that some of the most popular fish can host parasites.

Although still rare, a study this June showed salmon tapeworm infestations tripled from an average of 0.32 cases per 100,000 people each year in Kyoto, Japan, to at least to 1 case in 100,000 people in 2008. As more people adopt sushi and undercooked fish diets around the world so too, has the worm spread.

The article, printed in Emerging Infectious Diseases, tracked the movement of tapeworm infection for 20 years as reports migrated from rural fishing villages in Japan to urban centers around the world, including France, Switzerland and the United States.

"Usually, with this particular warm it produces discomfort, some pain, and it can produce anemia," said Dr. Felipe C. Cabello professor of Microbiology and Immunology at New York Medical College in Valhalla.

A more dangerous worm, a nematode called anisakis, can burrow into the stomach wall and require surgery. But Cabello said the fish tapeworm can still slowly drain a person's energy.

The parasite sucks the vitamin B12, and the person with the parasite does not have enough," said Cabello. "This is a worm that can reach 25 feet and it might take months, a year to grow."

In 2008 a Czech tourist fell ill from eating raw sockeye salmon in Vancouver, Canada. According to an article in The Oregonian, the man only discovered a tapeworm when he returned home. Other forms of salmon tapeworm have been found in sushi-eating urbanites in Brazil, according to a July 2007 report in Emerging Infectious Diseases.

In Franz's case, the offending creature was the Diphyllobothrium latum. Franz was not available for comment and is suing an Illinois seafood restaurant for $100,000.

"Basically we discovered that this particular tapeworm was caused from uncooked seafood, particularly salmon," said Franz's attorney, Gregory Leiter. "That's what he brought into the hospital."

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.99%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

never eating raw fish again, I already had my doubts
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.99%
    Achievements Posting Pro

yeah I'm really bummed. They do have baked rolls on most menus so I might not fully give it up...
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.39%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

who gives a damn lol. tapeworms are treatable, I like sushi. Actually my ex had worms....thats why I got rid of her

But its not a fatal thing I dont think, and its treatable. In other ways other than shooting it out your arse.
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.99%
    Achievements Posting Pro

OMG HILARIOUS!!

So wait... what are symptoms of worms?
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.62%

Quote Originally Posted by Zero V View Post
    who gives a damn lol. tapeworms are treatable, I like sushi. Actually my ex had worms....thats why I got rid of her

But its not a fatal thing I dont think, and its treatable. In other ways other than shooting it out your arse.
    Gotta stay away from those dogs man....
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.99%

I heard it is horrible having one of those boys living inside you, eating your food and etc... I guess this once again proves that you cant trust ANYone handling your food, just cook it up. There is no way that every piece of salmon coming through the line in every part of the world is examined 100%, dirty world we are living in.
  8. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.39%

Quote Originally Posted by Jessep76 View Post
    OMG HILARIOUS!!

So wait... what are symptoms of worms?
    Intestinal discomfort, discolored stool, drained energy stores, etc. She really actually had them. I was pissed when she told me, because I was worried(uneducated at the time) somehow I coulda contracted them because we were intimate together.

Quote Originally Posted by j rad View Post
    Gotta stay away from those dogs man....
    I thought she was the most beautiful woman in the world, now I completely understand that song "Sometimes I thank God, Fooor unanswered prayers"

9. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    1.42%

just wait until the worms start wriggling out your anus
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.76%

Believe it or not the "traditional " way to get rid of a tapeworm is to dangle a piece of bread on string over the poor sod's mouth while they r asleep, wait for it to stiick it's head out and pull the "@?& out of there. Serious

btw u can get them and other nasties from pretty much all undercooked meat
  11. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.39%

Quote Originally Posted by StuartGould View Post
    Believe it or not the "traditional " way to get rid of a tapeworm is to dangle a piece of bread on string over the poor sod's mouth while they r asleep, wait for it to stiick it's head out and pull the "@?& out of there. Serious

You know you can get worms first pass by walking barefoot ^.^ I duno abut our country, but I know you can in some of the other ones in rice patty fields n such. Not sure if its the same kinda worm, but it is parasitic.

The worst thing to get from meat, is pylons I think they are called. Its a parasite that bores tunnels through your brain. Once you got it, game over.
  12. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  197 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91.98%
    Achievements Posting Pro

You know you can get worms first pass by walking barefoot ^.^ I duno abut our country, but I know you can in some of the other ones in rice patty fields n such. Not sure if its the same kinda worm, but it is parasitic.

The worst thing to get from meat, is pylons I think they are called. Its a parasite that bores tunnels through your brain. Once you got it, game over.

I dont believe all this ****. Just superstition. Anything entering your stomach gets killed quickly by acids in stomach.
  13. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.99%
    Achievements Posting Pro

ah yeah the old dangling bread in front of the mouth trick. That'll get em. I heard gay sex kills them pretty quick too.
  14. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.39%

Quote Originally Posted by luclyluciano View Post
    I dont believe all this ****. Just superstition. Anything entering your stomach gets killed quickly by acids in stomach.
    Really? You know how most children who get worms recycle it? They scratch their bum, and then at some point they touch their mouth or food and it comes around another cycle. you would be surprised what can survive stomach acid mate. I have studied parasitic worms a few times back in HS, and even recently in College for Biology. They can survive. How else do you get em? Does someone shoot it up our arse into your lower intestines?

And Pylons are a medical disease, look it up. Caused by CONSUMPTION, there fore yest it survives the all mighty average human stomach acid.

Think about it some man...Better yet, research it some man.
  15. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.76%

Quote Originally Posted by Jessep76 View Post
    ah yeah the old dangling bread in front of the mouth trick. That'll get em. I heard gay sex kills them pretty quick too.
    Ya. Total nonsense. But based on a sound principle. If u just pull on the tail which sometimes dangles out the ass the worm breaks off leaving the head (scolex) still attached to the gut. So the bastid just regrows.

So u have to give an antihelminthic and wait for the whole business to come out the other end. Sometimes in pieces. I know. I had to fish the bits out of someones stool once because my then boss wanted a picture of the thing
  16. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.51%

Quote Originally Posted by luclyluciano View Post
    You think tape worms are a superstition??? LMFAO
    The reason that they survive the stomach is that they exude a special greasy coating that protects them from the stomach acid and everything else. I remember reading that the modern treatment for tape-worms is a pill which causes them to lose the ability to produce the coating stuff, so that they die and are digested.
  17. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.51%

Hook worms. There are tons of varieties of these.

It sounds like you're thinking of amoebas here. There have been cases in the South (texas and Florida, I think) where people have contracted them and died from swimming in a lake and getting water up their nose. These things are microscopic and untreatable.
  18. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.76%

Quote Originally Posted by Gator 87 View Post
    Hook worms. There are tons of varieties of these.

It sounds like you're thinking of amoebas here. There have been cases in the South (texas and Florida, I think) where people have contracted them and died from swimming in a

lake and getting water up their nose. These things are
    microscopic and untreatable.
    yep. Amoeboea usually cause dysentery or liver abscess, but can cause brain abscess.

Actually if found early enough can be easily treated with metranidazole (antibiotic ) but if big may need surgery.

Similar thing can happen with the dog tapeworm (echimococcus) - faecal oral spread from dog poop. Fortunately in the uk dog owners have to pick up said sh&t in a plastic bag and take it home. Reduced the risk to kids playing in parks etc
  19. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  188 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.83%

hm, can't say i'm entirley worried about it since i cook all my own food. I do eat sushi often, maybe twice a month tho.
  20. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  178 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.88%

I know. I had to fish the bits out of someones stool once because my then boss wanted a picture of the thing
    Sounds like a crappy job. LMAO I couldn't resist.
  21. NutraPlanet Rep
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.66%

Carried the 9 foot worm to the hospital...explain that one
    Nutraplanet Representative
    PM me with any order questions and concerns
  22. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.51%

Quote Originally Posted by MrBigPR View Post
    Carried the 9 foot worm to the hospital...explain that one
    They mean in his intestines. In the same way you that you can carry a disease or virus.
  23. NutraPlanet Rep
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.66%

Joke?
    Nutraplanet Representative
    PM me with any order questions and concerns
  24. Banned
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.54%

They mean in his intestines. In the same way you that you can carry a disease or virus.
    no sense of humur
  25. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.51%

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by MrBigPR View Post
    Joke?
    Quote Originally Posted by IamSOFAking View Post
    no sense of humur
    Sorry. I can be a bit too literal sometimes...
  26. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.37%

I believe that you are talking about prions. Very interesting organism as it doesn't contain any nucleic acids. Cause of bovine spongiform encephalopathy, or mad cow disease. It basically turns your brain to mush.
  27. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.68%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by jakellpet View Post
    just wait until the worms start wriggling out your anus
    I thought that was only after you started taking medication to get rid of them.
    "I am legally blind and if I can Squat,deadlift and over all get myself to the gym then anyone can get their a$$ in gear and get strong!!" - malleus25
    WHITE WHALE!
  28. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.76%

Quote Originally Posted by SilentBob187 View Post
    I thought that was only after you started taking medication to get rid of them.
    Not threadworms. They come out of the anus at night and lay their eggs. That's what makes the itch. We used to diagnose them by approaching the sleeping child at night with a torch and sticky tape. Torch to spot the adults, tape to pick up some eggs to confirm diagnosis.

Nowadays we would be arrested for child molestation...
  29. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    1.42%

Not threadworms. They come out of the anus at night and lay their eggs. That's what makes the itch. We used to diagnose them by approaching the sleeping child at night with a torch and sticky tape. Torch to spot the adults, tape to pick up some eggs to confirm diagnosis.

this thread just keeps getting better
  30. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.39%

Quote Originally Posted by TaPo31 View Post
    I believe that you are talking about prions. Very interesting organism as it doesn't contain any nucleic acids. Cause of bovine spongiform encephalopathy, or mad cow disease. It basically turns your brain to mush.
    MY man nailed it, thank you.Yes those are what I was thinking of. Those things creep my out, you get it, you are better off jumping off a building.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prion
  31. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.76%

Quote Originally Posted by jakellpet View Post
    this thread just keeps getting better
    wait till we get onto the maggots under the skin thing.....
  32. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.76%

Quote Originally Posted by TaPo31 View Post
    the most "interesting" of these is Kuru. Affected male members of a New Guinea tribe eating the brain of dead relatives as a sign of respect. The women ate the non cns parts and did not get it.
  33. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.39%

the most "interesting" of these is Kuru. Affected male members of a New Guinea tribe eating the brain of dead relatives as a sign of respect. The women ate the non cns parts and did not get it.
    I would prefer my kin DONT eat my brains when I die, as a sign of respect
  34. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.51%

We used to diagnose them by approaching the sleeping child at night with a torch and sticky tape. Torch to spot the adults, tape to pick up some eggs to confirm diagnosis.

I really hope that "torch" is British for flashlight...or I could see that going horribly wrong.
  35. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.76%

I really hope that "torch" is British for flashlight...or I could see that going horribly wrong.
    Ha ha got it. A torch in the USA is fire isn't it? Yes, flashlight. And we had to wear very quiet shoes. Sensitive hearing, enterobius
  36. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.51%

Cool

Ha ha got it. A torch in the USA is fire isn't it? Yes, flashlight. And we had to wear very quiet shoes. Sensitive hearing, enterobius
    Haha, yeah. It would either be this:
    http://image10.webshots.com/10/3/31/...5WQiblV_ph.jpg

Or this:
    http://www.whoi.edu/cms/images/ocean..._550_64748.jpg

Either one would be more than adequate for the (painful) removal of ass worms. lol

And did you ever personally partake in this ritual? :/
  37. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.99%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by D3vildog View Post
    hm, can't say i'm entirley worried about it since i cook all my own food. I do eat sushi often, maybe twice a month tho.
    It could be too late for you. REPENT!!!
  38. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.05%

bahahahhahaha
  39. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    1.6%

Eat the worm afterwards, its like fattening a pig.
  40. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.51%

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasRivera View Post
    Eat the worm afterwards, its like fattening a pig.
    That's what happens when you take the tape-worm medication (you just digest it alive).

Similar Forum Threads

1. controlled labs new fish oil and fish burps big time
    By benjiman in forum Supplements
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-12-2011, 03:15 PM
  2. Broke my foot, then got fat.
    By thenomad in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-26-2009, 03:50 PM
  3. Funny - guy gets foot run over by car
    By ItsHectic in forum General Chat
    Replies: 0