Prednisone and Anabolic Diet

clr18287

Awards
Wondering if the use of prednisone will have any affects on the nature of the anabolic diet. They are eyedrops..which have a smaller systemic absorption rate but it is still there... I know pred plays games with blood sugar and insulin so would I be kicking myself in the face if I was eating high fat and taking prednisone?

PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy

Awards
  • Established
Good question...

For the prednisone, is this something you have been taking for an extended period of time or is this just a temporary thing?

StuartGould

Awards
Minimal absorption from eyedrops so you should get no nasty systemic effects.

We even use it in quite high doses up the rear end for colitis and such with fairly minimal sides, despite the rectum being good at absorbing other drugs

kind regards

clr18287

Awards
great, in theory though, prednisone would affect the principals in the anabolic diet?

PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy

Awards
  • Established
great, in theory though, prednisone would affect the principals in the anabolic diet?
In theory, yes. However you would have to be taking it for an extended period of time. A week or two would have minimal, if any, HPTA suppression, while longer than that it would along with all the typical and nasty prednisone sides.

EDIT: On a side note, the side effects would not be specific just to the Anabolic Diet, they would muck up any diet.

StuartGould

Awards
In theory, yes. However you would have to be taking it for an extended period of time. A week or two would have minimal, if any, HPTA suppression, while longer than that it would along with all the typical and nasty prednisone sides.

EDIT: On a side note, the side effects would not be specific just to the Anabolic Diet, they would muck up any diet.
Exactly. Changes blood glucose, glycogen and fat metabolism. In effect like way too much cortisol. Hence weight gain a very common side effect of oral corticosteroid use