Calorie intake?

Persian1012

Persian1012

Awards
Someone told me on a thread that the only way to burn fat is to burn off more calories a day than you consume (burned calories> Calories consumed). Is this true? What if my diet is really clean but i consume more cals a day than i burn, cant i still burn fat?

time lord

time lord

Awards
nope you can't burn fat w/out an overall calorie deficit.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Someone told me on a thread that the only way to burn fat is to burn off more calories a day than you consume (burned calories> Calories consumed). Is this true? What if my diet is really clean but i consume more cals a day than i burn, cant i still burn fat?
its very very simple and often the most over looked thing in bodybuilding for beginners to get.

Ill give an example so you can understand it better

my BMR right now is around 2200 calories per day. that means if I sit on my ass all day and not do a thing and eat this much I'll maintain.

If I want to gain muscle, (while taking in high protein for musclegrowth) I would take in more than this. it's not rocket-science. dont make it complicated more than it is.

so say on the average say I burn 700 calories alone from weight lifting going to the store, and whatever else activites I did that day then then i need about 3,000 calories (high protein) to gain musclemass. carbs and fats are individual and a person has to find out if they are more carb sensative or fat sensative though trail and error and whether they are prepping for a contest(or stripping bodyfat away hard) or gaining muscle.

the most common mistake most beginning bodybuilders have is not knowing how many calories they consume per day. sure you can play it by ear. ive found the more serious Ive become thye more I ve counted calories , the more results Ive gotten.

If your serious about bodybuilding count your calories most of the time.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

Persian1012

Persian1012

Awards
Thanks smeton. thats some good info. I hope someone can help me out with this... Right now im eating around 2000 calories a day with a pretty clean diet. Im 5' 10" 188 and around 21% BF. here is what i ate today...
7:30 3 egg whites and 1/2 cup of white rice.
9:30 trail mix bar and one cup of coffee with skim milk
11:30 one can of tuna
2:30 one peach
6:00 a bowl of lasagna
10:00 one cup of cottage cheese and one scoop of weigh protien

My workout:

I do a hypertrophy workout everytime i lift weights. I lift 4 days a week alternating between legs, chest, back, and shoulders/biceps/triceps.
I do three sets of 50 lunges after everytime i workout.
And i get two days in a week where i get about an hour or so of cardio, which includes running, sprints and some basketball.

my supps im taking right now are black powder, whey protien, CLA, a centrum multi-vitamen, amplified creatine 189, and some omega.

By looking at my diet, exercise and supps, do you think im on my way to burning fat?

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
im not going to go into detail

its impossible to get big with that diet(unless your a super genetic freak with the myostatin gene so its possible just highly unlikely ) this is the mistake I see most of the guys on this board make they dont know how to get large naturally though diet hop on prohormones gain some, and lose it all when they go off.

In short you have a lot of learning to do. for one you always need high protein whether your losing body fat or gaining musscle mass. aim 250-300 grams protein per pound for yourself

relize the more musclemass your get the more you need so calories have to be upped so they change over time. Its taken me seven years of studying nutrition to learn just what i know and I know I still have learning to do. You must and I mean must know nutrition like the back of your hand if you want to be a bodybuilder.

in additon make sure your getting good sleep each night, lifting with intensity with proper form..emphasis on proper form...as far as supplements creatine and whey protein are good for now. get nutrition in order as this is far more important than supplementation

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
The OP did say he he was trying to burn fat. To the OP, I don't think you are getting to 200o cals based on what you wrote. It depends on how much lasagna you are eating, and what kind of cottage cheese.

According to your stats, your bmi is 1971. Multiply 1971x1.55 since you are active and get 3055 for maintenance cals. You should start about 500 less than that for calorie needs per day. Your cals should be at 2500 to start. Usually if you are not taking enough cals, your body will stall out losing weight. So if you start at a normal level with your calories, and increase your activity, you can create the calorie deficit you need.

You should look at the labels of the food you eat and actually calculate how many cals it is. I think it is probably 1600-1800 depending on unknown variables that you didn't write. So you need 2500 cals to burn fat. You already eat 6 meals which is good. You should get about 400-425 cals per meal. You need total of 200-250 grams of protein a day. You should divide your total protein up evenly which means eat 30-40grams of protein/meal. That should give you about 40% of calories from protein. Then you need about 30% from carbs. Keep carbs mostly in morning and early afternoon. Green veggies in evening for carbs. Shoot for about 200-225 grams of carbs per day. shoot for about 40 grams of carbs each meal, 1-4. Meals 5-6, 10-20, mostly from green veggies. Then you need no less than 20% from fat. Fat has 9 cals per gram, so at 2500 cals, that is 55 grams of fat. So shoot for about 10grams per meal. Good fat is in eggs, nuts, avacados, fatty fish, like salmom, olive oil.

So with what you have been eating, has your weight or body composition changed? To shouldn't lose more than 1-2 pounds a week. Keep your activity level up, revamp your diet, and see what happens. You probably don't need to do the extra lunges every workout either.

This is some basic and generic info. Take these basics and write up a meal plan based on them. You need to learn how to think about what you are doing with food and nutrition and why you are doing it, vs just having people tell you specifics on everything you should do. You seem to have that part down so kudos. Your meal plan should be something you can acheive daily without a ton of headache also. If you make things too complicated, you might get frustrated and not be able to stick with it long term. Most people think diet means "on for a while, off for a while". The goal is to learn proper nutrition so you change your lifestyle and be able to stay fit all the time.

Hope this helps.

Persian1012

Persian1012

Awards
The OP did say he he was trying to burn fat. To the OP, I don't think you are getting to 200o cals based on what you wrote. It depends on how much lasagna you are eating, and what kind of cottage cheese.

According to your stats, your bmi is 1971. Multiply 1971x1.55 since you are active and get 3055 for maintenance cals. You should start about 500 less than that for calorie needs per day. Your cals should be at 2500 to start. Usually if you are not taking enough cals, your body will stall out losing weight. So if you start at a normal level with your calories, and increase your activity, you can create the calorie deficit you need.

You should look at the labels of the food you eat and actually calculate how many cals it is. I think it is probably 1600-1800 depending on unknown variables that you didn't write. So you need 2500 cals to burn fat. You already eat 6 meals which is good. You should get about 400-425 cals per meal. You need total of 200-250 grams of protein a day. You should divide your total protein up evenly which means eat 30-40grams of protein/meal. That should give you about 40% of calories from protein. Then you need about 30% from carbs. Keep carbs mostly in morning and early afternoon. Green veggies in evening for carbs. Shoot for about 200-225 grams of carbs per day. shoot for about 40 grams of carbs each meal, 1-4. Meals 5-6, 10-20, mostly from green veggies. Then you need no less than 20% from fat. Fat has 9 cals per gram, so at 2500 cals, that is 55 grams of fat. So shoot for about 10grams per meal. Good fat is in eggs, nuts, avacados, fatty fish, like salmom, olive oil.

So with what you have been eating, has your weight or body composition changed? To shouldn't lose more than 1-2 pounds a week. Keep your activity level up, revamp your diet, and see what happens. You probably don't need to do the extra lunges every workout either.

This is some basic and generic info. Take these basics and write up a meal plan based on them. You need to learn how to think about what you are doing with food and nutrition and why you are doing it, vs just having people tell you specifics on everything you should do. You seem to have that part down so kudos. Your meal plan should be something you can acheive daily without a ton of headache also. If you make things too complicated, you might get frustrated and not be able to stick with it long term. Most people think diet means "on for a while, off for a while". The goal is to learn proper nutrition so you change your lifestyle and be able to stay fit all the time.

Hope this helps.
Hey i really appreciate your help. finally the info ive been trying to recieve. This really helps me out. To answer your question about if im seeing any change in my body comp... well i kind of just started like a week ago so not really. plus like you said its kind of been a headache to try to eat so little. its not the clean diet that was making me struggle this week but the small portions. That is pretty interesting that by upping my cals i can actually burn more fat. But im going to print out your post and put your words of wisdom to action. I would greatly appreciate it if you put me on your friends list that way i can keep you posted with my progress. I think it would really help me reach my goal if i had someone that i could share my results with and that can lead me on the right path. But if you really dont want to its cool. I appreciate all your help you've already given me.

Persian1012

Persian1012

Awards
Oh and another question... Do you think it would be a good idea for me to take some Slim Xtreme or something else like that?

benj851

benj851

Awards
  • Established
A diet pill wont help you burn fat UNLESS you stay in caloric deficit.

now if most days you are under your maintenance calories then it will help you burn more fat.

The awesome things about slim xtreme is well for me at least, it completely kills my appetite. which is a good and bad thing. often times I find I have to force myself to eat, so I'm only at 1000kcals under my mait cals.

Also give great energy!

Persian1012

Persian1012

Awards
A diet pill wont help you burn fat UNLESS you stay in caloric deficit.

now if most days you are under your maintenance calories then it will help you burn more fat.

The awesome things about slim xtreme is well for me at least, it completely kills my appetite. which is a good and bad thing. often times I find I have to force myself to eat, so I'm only at 1000kcals under my mait cals.

Also give great energy!
Would you recommend it if i use it properly? How has it worked for you (pros and cons)?

benj851

benj851

Awards
  • Established
it works pretty well for me as an appetite suppressant, and as an energy supp...not like im gonna go to the gym go 110% for three hours and then come home and screw my wife till the lubes all gone type of energy... its just good clean energy.

I find that for fat loss nothing is better than an eca stack. ephreda, caffiene, and asprin. search it in the weightloss forum it has a very very long thread. make sure you read the first several pages those are the most important imo.

Persian1012

Persian1012

Awards
it works pretty well for me as an appetite suppressant, and as an energy supp...not like im gonna go to the gym go 110% for three hours and then come home and screw my wife till the lubes all gone type of energy... its just good clean energy.

I find that for fat loss nothing is better than an eca stack. ephreda, caffiene, and asprin. search it in the weightloss forum it has a very very long thread. make sure you read the first several pages those are the most important imo.
can u do the eca stack while taking slim xtreme?

benj851

benj851

Awards
  • Established
I havent no, and I wouldn't recommend it, the eca stack will kill your appetite too. what I do, If I'm tired and feel like crap I take slim xtreme. If its a regular day then I take eca...primarly because on a day to day basis it's so cheap.

Persian1012

Persian1012

Awards
I havent no, and I wouldn't recommend it, the eca stack will kill your appetite too. what I do, If I'm tired and feel like crap I take slim xtreme. If its a regular day then I take eca...primarly because on a day to day basis it's so cheap.
So can i find everything i need for the eca stack like at a CVS pharmacy?

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
Hey man, I would probably hold off on the ECA stack or any other fat burners right now. You are just starting the process of learning proper nutrition. If you learn how to eat correctly FIRST, before you take additional supplements, then they will be the icing on the cake. If you rely on fat burners and don't ever get your nutrition down, you won't get the results you really want, no matter what you take. Someone with bad eating habits might take a thermo and since they aren't making progress, they up the dose. Then still not much progress, so the triple the dose, or begin to add other compounds. Where if they ate properly, they could see results with 1/4 of the original dosing.

Don't get bogged down in a bunch of supplements right now other than a multi, whey protein, creatine, and BCAA's. Spend your time and mental energy learning about the proper foods to eat and proper training to get where you want to be. You are young, your body is in it's prime. You will be amazed at what you can accomplish right now by getting diet in order and proper training. Post up your workouts so we can take a look at that also. Also, set up a fit day account at www.fitday.com so you can calculate what your how much your foods are. You can plug in the foods and the amounts and it will track your calories and the macros. Plug in what you have been eating lately and see how it comes out. Then build a meal plan following the basics outlined above and plug it in and then post it up. Start at square one, get the nutrition down first and foremost.

benj851

benj851

Awards
  • Established
I agree completely with youngandfree and yeah its all at cvs but make sure you have your diet down first.

ccapone1153

ccapone1153

Awards
  • Established
Im 5' 10" 188 and around 21% BF.

ok based on ur stats i would say:

223g of protein a day
100 g of fat a day
this comes to 1792 cals a day

calculate ur total carolic requirements (cut 300 - 500 cals from that number - to put u in a deficit) and then the difference should come from carbs. that would be a good starting point.

use calorieking to look up the food u eat and calculate the amount of each marco nutrient and calorie from everything. and boom you got yourself a diet plan.

ccapone1153

ccapone1153

Awards
  • Established
oh yea and F**K the fat burners get ur diet n check, do some cardio and youll be fine.

JDK5386

ECA is indeed the real deal. For me, is supresess appetite so effectively that my only real consideration (outside of my weakness, Kettle Korn) is the caloric and nutritional content of the foods I'm eating. I've had trouble getting up to the suggested levels of calories on this diet, and the mild increase in energy it provides helps me perform highly intense exercise 6 days per week (3 days of full body weight training, 3 days of HIIT). In addition to appetite control and energy boosting properties, it also promotes fat loss over muscle loss. Its not a miracle drug, but its an extremely effective weight loss aid.

That said, I agree with the other posters that diet and exercise come first. If/when you hit a plateau, then add an ECA cycle.