How healthy is Mayonaise???

cedrone50

Awards
Im on a very low carb diet right now trying to cut some weight and get leaner. There fore when im eating my lunches in school ill pack a chicken salad, egg salad, or tuna. The thing is i use mayo and i realized today that there is 10 grams of fat per serving (tbs is one serving). I was wondering if eating all this mayo will slow down my weight loss and make my goal harder to reach?

FINEMNT

Awards
Seriously speaking, mayos may differ depending on the brand. If you are increasing your fat intake, you want to use an "olive oil" based mayo. Nevertheless, there are better options to go about increasing healthy fat intake. Why not throw some fat free miracle whip or low fat miracle whip and add some olive oil, avocado, or other healthy fats into your salads. Hope this helps.

time lord

time lord

Awards
there's always making the stuff w/ dijon mustard... i like it but some people can't seem to stand it.

i make all my tuna, egg, or chk salad w/ some all natural dijon mustard, chopped pickles, chopped onion, top w/ avocado & a little cheese... yummm

nparisi

nparisi

Awards
  • Established
dijon mustard is the ****...yeah dude opt for some miracle whip if you need that mayo type consistency

UKStrength

Mayonnaise itself isn´t unhealthy, especially if you make your own with whole eggs and olive oil, it can add a richness to your dishes and is good for the old ticker if you make it wisely.

Here´s a recipe mate:

1 whole egg, at room temperature
1 egg yolk, at room temperature
1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
3/4-1 cup of extra virgin olive oil
Sea salt, to taste

- whisk everything apart from the olive oil in food processor on a low speed until blended.

- Add the olive oil slowly until you get to the desired constiency.

- The recipe will keep for up to two weeks in an airtight container in the fridge.

...I was wondering if eating all this mayo will slow down my weight loss and make my goal harder to reach?
Not in the quantities you´re talking about, unless you´re already WAY over you calorie requirements a tbsp of mayonaisse won´t hurt.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, Real Mayo is the Shizznit. UK recipe is spot on too.

I can't believe how many of you guys like Miracle Whip, that stuff just taste horrible IMO. If your looking for other substitutes though you can always check out Reduced fat Mayo (some are made with good ingredients and some aren't) Avacadoes, Sesame Oil (awesome on tuna), or salsa.

cedrone50

Awards
ok thanks guys i will def try that mayo recipie and ive never had miracle whip so i will also give that a try. Im unfortunalately not a fan of anykind of mustard so i was wonderin if anybody has any other thing i could mix my chicken, tuna, and eggs with for my salads?

UKStrength

ok thanks guys i will def try that mayo recipie and ive never had miracle whip so i will also give that a try. Im unfortunalately not a fan of anykind of mustard so i was wonderin if anybody has any other thing i could mix my chicken, tuna, and eggs with for my salads?
Do you like spicy tomato?

Try making a freh salsa, it´ll go really well with all the foods you just mentioned.

Salsa recipe

2 Beef tomatoes (or 3 firm salad type) - diced
1 clove of garlic - pressed
handful of fresh coriander - chopped
1 roughly chopped red onion
tablespoon of olive oil (optional)
teaspoon of tabasco sauce
teaspoon of tomato puree

- Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl, grind some fresh black pepper on there and you´re good to go.

Deadlift3

Deadlift3

Awards
there's always making the stuff w/ dijon mustard... i like it but some people can't seem to stand it.

i make all my tuna, egg, or chk salad w/ some all natural dijon mustard, chopped pickles, chopped onion, top w/ avocado & a little cheese... yummm
Right on brother on my tuna chicken salad,potatoe salad all that. And it has Omega's. Pretty good for me and im pretty lean. It hasnt made me fat

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
I use balsamic vinegar, olive oil & seasonings for my tuna sammies. You can find a good balsamic dressing already mixed as well. Good healthy fats & vinegar is a good nutrient partitioner.

Deadlift3

Deadlift3

Awards
Im on a very low carb diet right now trying to cut some weight and get leaner. There fore when im eating my lunches in school ill pack a chicken salad, egg salad, or tuna. The thing is i use mayo and i realized today that there is 10 grams of fat per serving (tbs is one serving). I was wondering if eating all this mayo will slow down my weight loss and make my goal harder to reach?

Light Mayo would be ideal for you my friend. Its delicious!

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
UK... u kinda make me hungry, i bet u got a lot of good stuff in ur fridge, i wish i had more motivation to make my own toppings but seeing stuff in a jar made for me... too simple