share your knowledge/opinoin

DamirK

Awards
I know people are getting sick off reading what others eat, but i would really appreciate any help i can get. I am 5'11'' about 165ish and my goal is to get to around 170-175lb by virtue of muscle with minimal fat (never heard that before huh lol) Im currently on a 4 day split (Monday:chest/shoulders, Tuesday:back/traps, Wednesdayff Thursday:Bi/Tri/forearms Friday: Legs) I also do cardio and abs 3-4 times a week, usually tuesday Wednesday friday and sundays. I think i eat fairly decent, i attached my meals for the past couple of days so you guys can get a better idea of how i eat, but i would really like some advice from others so if you all would be so kind to share your advice and or criticism to help me achieve my goals that would be awesome! thanks everyone

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
I don't see your attached meals, so just put them in another post. How lean are you already? You can't have too much fat at 165, so I think you are in a good position really. Your workout split looks good, just post up your specific routine for those days, exercises, sets, and reps that you do each workout. You might be able to tweak something there also. Do a search for a BMR calculator, and find your maintenance calorie requirements. That is the amount you should need to keep the same BW. You are going to start at about 500 over that to begin with. You will want about 1.5g of protein/per lb of BW. You will want to divide daily cals up by 5-6 meals. To stay as lean as possible while doing this, you want no more than 1-2 lb of gain/week. By doing the cardio, you should be able to eat a bit more than not doing cardio. Also for hardgainers that have trouble eating alot, AM cardio before breakfast gets the furnace going and will make you more hungry for the day, just do low intensity no more than probably 30 minutes. I read a quote from a guy named DANTE that some of you may know of, "to get big, eat like a 300 pounder, but do cardio like someone with 8-9% BF."
If 500 cals over maintenance doesn't bump weight in a week, bump it another 200 or so. You can continue with calorie amount that gains 1-2lbs a week until you stop gaining. Then add another 200-300 cals a day to continue the process until you reach your goal. If you gain too fast at the beginning, you can scale back cals a touch, or bump intensity of cardio a bit to slow down the fat gain a bit. You will have to gain a bit of fat, but you don't have to eat 2000 cals over maintenance to gain either. Just like 500 cals less/day burns a pound a week, 500 over whould do the opposite.

These are just some basics to help, but post up your diet and workouts and we can go from there.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
You need to be more consistent with your intake I think. According to my calculations, your BMR is about 1851. You are fairly active, so multiply that times 1.55 to calculate your maintenance calories. That gives you 2869. Then add 500, for growth, that comes to 3369. You should be starting at least at 3000 cals. Your totals for each day are up and down, with the highest being less than 2100. Your spreadsheet says cals allowed is 2400, but you haven't even gotten to that yet. No matter what, you have to be consistent day to day. Now you should create a meal plan that you can follow for 3000-3400 cals, divided up into 6 meals. Once on paper, you will see that it is a big difference from your normal eating habits. I would recommend starting with 2500 for a week or two, to get used to eating that much. If you ramp up, you won't feel like you are gorging from day 1. Take your 3400 meal plan, and take away a small bit of each meal, to give a total of 2500. then after a week or two, add back in about 500. Eat that for another week or so, then add in the rest to get to 3400. If you can already eat that much, then have at it from day 1, I just think you will bloat up and feel like crap at first if you jump in head first.

To grow, it takes as much discipline and work with your meal plan as it does in the gym. The gym tears down muscle, but to grow, you have to feed it properly for it to recover and adapt and get bigger.

Deadlift3

Deadlift3

Awards
I know people are getting sick off reading what others eat, but i would really appreciate any help i can get. I am 5'11'' about 165ish and my goal is to get to around 170-175lb by virtue of muscle with minimal fat (never heard that before huh lol) Im currently on a 4 day split (Monday:chest/shoulders, Tuesday:back/traps, Wednesdayff Thursday:Bi/Tri/forearms Friday: Legs) I also do cardio and abs 3-4 times a week, usually tuesday Wednesday friday and sundays. I think i eat fairly decent, i attached my meals for the past couple of days so you guys can get a better idea of how i eat, but i would really like some advice from others so if you all would be so kind to share your advice and or criticism to help me achieve my goals that would be awesome! thanks everyone

I was somewhat like you. 5 11" and my weight flactuated between 167-175. Now Im 185. In order to gain muscle mass you should be eating somewhere in between 1-1.5 gr./per body weight of protein. So if you weigh 165 you should be eating 165 gm of protein at least. Now also keep in mind to keep track and eat about 2000 cal a day. It reallyp helps.