How much tuna is too much?

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
So...ive been reading up on tuna and mercury content and frankly im confused on how much tuna is too much.

Ive read anywhere between 2-4 cans every other day to no more then 3 cans a week.

Can anyone give me a more definitive answer and/or point me in the right direction on where to look this stuff up?

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Damn I should be dead, I eat 2-3 cans a day. Until I run out, then I get like a 2 day break from it, and throw in an extra shake.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
I dont even eat canned tuna anymore, its brown like that because it has been frozen already. And like with anything else canned, its packed w/ wayyyy too much sodium to preserve. You can always get real raw tuna; chicken and peanut butter are a cheap source of protein as well. Im sure that a can a day won't cause mercury poisoning.

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
so what im gathering is that all that mercury poisoning is a bunch of BS?

D3vildog

D3vildog

Awards
  • Established
I eat a can or two of tuna a day for several, several months. No problems.

So far, i tried looking that stuff up and it said like 1-3 cans a week for an adult male. wtf??

nparisi

nparisi

Awards
  • Established
I eat a can or two a day, two now that they made the cans smaller!

metacat

Awards
I have been eating a can a day Monday-Friday now for about 6 years. Ocasionally I'll have a can or two on the weekends. I have had no problems.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
I dont even eat canned tuna anymore, its brown like that because it has been frozen already. And like with anything else canned, its packed w/ wayyyy too much sodium to preserve. You can always get real raw tuna; chicken and peanut butter are a cheap source of protein as well. Im sure that a can a day won't cause mercury poisoning.

I use Tongol tuna from Trader Joe's - no sodium added. Brown because it was frozen? RU serious? It's brown because it is dark meat tuna that has been cooked. Ever open a can of white meat tuna like Albacore?

Peanut butter cheap source of protein? It's good stuff (natty) but has more fat than protein.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
I get low sodium Tuna ( think tis 5% DV) for 10 cents more a can :p thats 20-30 cents more a day so... worth it. If I die of mercury poisoning....uh...well, that sucks.

MAxximal

MAxximal

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The Best Tuna is Chicken of the Sea sells @ Cotsco and is ultra lean and not stinky

Deadlift3

Deadlift3

Awards
So...ive been reading up on tuna and mercury content and frankly im confused on how much tuna is too much.

Ive read anywhere between 2-4 cans every other day to no more then 3 cans a week.

Can anyone give me a more definitive answer and/or point me in the right direction on where to look this stuff up?
I eat about a can every other day. Not a problem yet. Tuna is awesome it has a alot of protein and omegas 3 and 6.

P.s Albacore is the best loaded with proteins.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established

i don't think anyone realistically knows how much mercury is in tuna, though i do know that mercury poisoning is real, and has happened to a pro bodybuilder. now i know there are a ton of bodybuilders at the pro level that eat tuna, so one case of mercury poisoning makes this a tad overblown.

still something to watch for though. interestingly enough, that's why i had all the mercury drilled out of my teeth and replaced : the studies on inert mercury (old fillings) suggest that a person can have no more than 4 fillings. that's when they started ripping out your teeth and giving people dentures. no studies have EVER been done on inert mercury and 5 fillings.......

where am i going with this? look up signs of mercury poisoning, remember them, and until you develop symptoms, don't worry about it. when you do get symptoms, detox your body from heavy metals.

time lord

time lord

Awards
you can find low sodium tuna. if you've earned the extra sodium, i.e. sweating during workout, tuna is great.

something that you should consider when eating tuna regularly is only eating the dark meat tuna (light tuna)...

these fish are smaller in size and therefore not as high up the food chain, and should theoretically have much less mercury content than large species like albacore and yellowfin.

"Skipjack is the most common species of canned and pouched lightmeat tuna available on the US market. Skipjack are similar in flesh to Yellowfin, but are a relatively smaller tuna. Skipjack can weigh up to 40 pounds, but typically range from 6 to 8 pounds"

"Albacore tuna can range up to 4.2 feet in length and weigh up to 88 pounds... and Yellowfin can grow to be up to 7 feet long and weigh up to 440 pounds"

killfat

killfat

Awards
Anything in a can will have an adverse effect on all of us in the long run. Try buying 6lbs of Tilapia fresh weekly. I've done this to replace chicken and beef for 30 days. Franco Columbo did 30 days all fresh fish and egg whites with excellent results.

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
so what im gathering is that all that mercury poisoning is a bunch of BS?
Not total BS necessarily but certainly overstated. Drink lots of water and the mercury flushes out of your system.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
very interesting indeed. I wish I could afford to buy 6lbs of fresh Tilapia every week. Stuff is good, but honestly my love of the fish world is Salmon. Oh man salmon patties....oh uuuughh uuuuhn....I just teared up.

D3vildog

D3vildog

Awards
  • Established
very interesting indeed. I wish I could afford to buy 6lbs of fresh Tilapia every week. Stuff is good, but honestly my love of the fish world is Salmon. Oh man salmon patties....oh uuuughh uuuuhn....I just teared up.
My dad has a 32' boat on Lake Superior so i get fresh Salmon and Lake trout whenever. :D

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
My dad has a 32' boat on Lake Superior so i get fresh Salmon and Lake trout whenever. :D
Screw you lol. I have been fishing off a boat in Erie b4. Only once, I never go fishing off boats. Always lived in a poor family, best we get is local rivers with bass and cats. Hook a brudda up lol

D3vildog

D3vildog

Awards
  • Established
Screw you lol. I have been fishing off a boat in Erie b4. Only once, I never go fishing off boats. Always lived in a poor family, best we get is local rivers with bass and cats. Hook a brudda up lol
Lol i love fishing, my dad bought that bought and fixed it up himself. it was on the bottom of the lake. Twin 454's mmmmmm

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I saw some pretty messed up giant orange fish (Goldfish???) in lake Ontario, and have seen how dirty the water is. No thank you! Frozen Wild Pacific Salmon for me.