daily protein consumption

supershah

supershah

Awards
Hi, would like to know. Is there any harm in taking high protein amount everyday , even when offseason or when dieting for a show? I weigh 190 off-season and usually compete at around 170. When i diet my carbs is
1.5xbodyweight (lb) and my protein is 2.5xbodyweight. Now im kinda changing it i wanna go high protein all the way even before a contest diet starts. Ive heard some guys saying that too high a protein all-year round can cause some harm to your body, particularly the liver.

Any takers?

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
High protein diets can be harmful to your kidneys. The average person whom lifts weights only needs between 1.2 - 2.2 grams of protein per KILOGRAM of bodyweight. Obviously, if one is taking an anabolic steroid this number does not apply and will be higher.

swollwilliams

swollwilliams

Awards
  • Established
i'm with you supershah, i maintain a high protein intake year round as well. right around the 2.5gm/per lb. bw. as far as any adverse affects on high protein diets and potential damage to the liver- i have heard that it puts a strain on the liver, but i have never seen any concrete evidence/proof that this is true. i do incorporate extra fiber in my diet to help in the cleansing of intestine/colon with all the animal proteins i consume on a daily basis..

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
When you say yo want to go high protein all the way, are you talking about replacing the carbs with more protein? Generally, your protein intake is fine what you listed 2.5x BW, you would replace the carbs with fat, not necessarily more protein.

supershah

supershah

Awards
When you say yo want to go high protein all the way, are you talking about replacing the carbs with more protein? Generally, your protein intake is fine what you listed 2.5x BW, you would replace the carbs with fat, not necessarily more protein.
Hi, sorry i forgot to state. Now im currently offseason and my carb is like. 3x BW and my protein is like 1.4X BW. Im thinking of going like.. protein 2X bw and carb maybe the same or 2.5X bw so im still hitting around 3000 calories per day. Will going protein 2x and carb 2.5x all year round, be harmful or ok? Do i need to take stuff liek milk thistle, etc to ensure proper function of my liver?

Any advice will be appreciated! :)

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
I think that sounds reasonable. Drink 1.5-2 gals of water/day.

supershah

supershah

Awards
nope, reducing the carbs, and upping hte protein so my overall calorie is the same (carb and protein cal=4) not replacing the carbs with fats as fats has more calories.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
You still need some dietary fat in your intake as well. If you are taking 2x BW in protein=about 370 grams=1480 calories, and the same in carbs, you aren't getting any fat. You probaly should be getting around 50 g of fat minimum, maybe more. Dietary fat helps keep hormone levels in check. you said you are in off season, so getting shredded probably isn't your goal. An extra 50g of fat is only 450 more cals per day. If that throws off your total cals too much, then sacrifice 112 grams of carbs and or protein to make up for it. You can sacrifice 55 of each or any combination in order to stay at 3000 cals if that's the amount you need right now. BTW 50 grams of fat is only 15 % of 3000 calories, so not a big percentage of total for the day.

supershah

supershah

Awards
icic.. cool. what are some sources of good fat that i can get? peanut butter? anything else?

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
Almonds, fatty fish like salmon, Extra virgin Olive oil,

manishfusion

Awards
Hi, would like to know. Is there any harm in taking high protein amount everyday , even when offseason or when dieting for a show? I weigh 190 off-season and usually compete at around 170. When i diet my carbs is
1.5xbodyweight (lb) and my protein is 2.5xbodyweight. Now im kinda changing it i wanna go high protein all the way even before a contest diet starts. Ive heard some guys saying that too high a protein all-year round can cause some harm to your body, particularly the liver.

Any takers?
i dont think so that its harmful ..
and its my opinion .. :):):):)