I made these burgers last night...good or no good?

LeeRoi

Awards
96% fat free beef patty
150 cals
20g protein each

Whole Grain Buns
200 cals
36g carbs
2g fat
10g protein

All I added was onions, tomato, mustard and ketchup (no mayo)

I ate two of them, are these okay post workout? :006:

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The kcals on the burgers don't add up. It should be closer to 120, but it's a decent post-training meal. Throw in some additional fruit and it would be golden.

LeeRoi

Awards
The kcals on the burgers don't add up. It should be closer to 120, but it's a decent post-training meal. Throw in some additional fruit and it would be golden.
what is kcals? sorry im a noob lol

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
thanks.

well what do you mean it doesn't add up? i just read it off the label :dunno:
96% beef should have a higher amount of protein and a lower amount of fat. The fat should only be 4% of the total weight (4g per 100g), but the nutrition listed on here indicates it has somewhere between 8-9g of fat per 4 oz (FYI, 4 oz ~ 113g).

LeeRoi

Awards
96% beef should have a higher amount of protein and a lower amount of fat. The fat should only be 4% of the total weight (4g per 100g), but the nutrition listed on here indicates it has somewhere between 8-9g of fat per 4 oz (FYI, 4 oz ~ 113g).
Well it does say 4g of fat

LeeRoi

Awards
I'm gonna check again today when I get home to make sure, cus I could be mistaken. But I'm sure it has 150 cals and it's 96% fat free

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
4g fat~36 kcals
20g protein~80 kcals

~116 per 4 oz.

Something is missing.

D3vildog

D3vildog

Awards
  • Established
Looks tasty to me! Ima Grill up some Venison Burgers this weekend Mmm

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
what is kcals? sorry im a noob lol
Kilocalories (kcal) it's 1,000 calories. The 'calories' you view on nutrition facts are actually kilocals, labeled incorrectly.

TimberLakers

TimberLakers

Awards
  • Established
4g fat~36 kcals
20g protein~80 kcals

~116 per 4 oz.

Something is missing.
Meat packaging is weird like that... The FDA actually allows for a claim such as 96% fat free to have more than 4% fat - because they allow a small portion of fat to be present in the lean portion of the meat (and remain uncounted). Its confusing, and completely whack...

There is some turkey they sell at my grocery that is supposed to be 95% fat free, but has more fat grams than protein grams.

LeeRoi

Awards
Okay so I was wrong each pattie has 25g protein ;)

LeeRoi

Awards
Meat packaging is weird like that... The FDA actually allows for a claim such as 96% fat free to have more than 4% fat - because they allow a small portion of fat to be present in the lean portion of the meat (and remain uncounted). Its confusing, and completely whack...

There is some turkey they sell at my grocery that is supposed to be 95% fat free, but has more fat grams than protein grams.
Well that sucks, so do you recommend me eating this or not? It's really hard to find anything I like :worried:

TimberLakers

TimberLakers

Awards
  • Established
Well that sucks, so do you recommend me eating this or not? It's really hard to find anything I like :worried:
Its not a big deal. The "Nutrition Facts" still are accurate... just don't always trust the % Lean or % Fat Free... Ground Beef is good protein, keep at it.

LeeRoi

Awards
Its not a big deal. The "Nutrition Facts" still are accurate... just don't always trust the % Lean or % Fat Free... Ground Beef is good protein, keep at it.
thanks man.

im jus worried about the carbs in the bread, carbs confuse the hell outta me

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
thanks man.

im jus worried about the carbs in the bread, carbs confuse the hell outta me
so long as its slow digesting (whole grain, wheats), its all good. fast digesting carbs i only use in two scenarios :
1 - post workout
2 - 20 minutes prior to training for that extra energy

TimberLakers

TimberLakers

Awards
  • Established
Suncloud's got it... Sounds like you are just lifting to get stronger / bigger... carbs are your friend - just don't overdo it. If that is high quality whole grain, you're in good shape... plus its straight after your workout. Solid meal overall.

LeeRoi

Awards
so long as its slow digesting (whole grain, wheats), its all good. fast digesting carbs i only use in two scenarios :
1 - post workout
2 - 20 minutes prior to training for that extra energy
Well that makes it a lot easier to understand, damn I've been eating plain bagel for breakfast =/

LeeRoi

Awards
Suncloud's got it... Sounds like you are just lifting to get stronger / bigger... carbs are your friend - just don't overdo it. If that is high quality whole grain, you're in good shape... plus its straight after your workout. Solid meal overall.
How many grams of carbs should I be eating daily? Just to have a rough idea so I don't worry that I'm doing too much/too little

TimberLakers

TimberLakers

Awards
  • Established
How many grams of carbs should I be eating daily? Just to have a rough idea so I don't worry that I'm doing too much/too little
That's not an easy question to answer... Depends on your goals... Your flat metabolic rate for the day... how much protein and fat you're taking in...

I'd say if you're lean bulking around your weight, 200g should be comfortable.

keeper

If you will replace ground beef with ground turkey, you'll be miles ahead. Simple casseroles with multigrain noodles, chili, SOS (sh*t on a shingle)... all the foods most cook with ground beef is just as good done with ground turkey. I make a black iron skillet pizza (whole wheat flour for the crust) using gr. turkey. Has almost no fat, and many good carbs. When I grill burgers, I use ground turkey, but top with a strip of bacon while on the grill. I mix 5 lbs ground turkey, 1 egg, garlic and 1/4 Worchestershire or soy sauce and grill up a batch on the weekend then freeze some in a zip lock to use later. Re-heat for a minute (each pattie) in the mw and mmmmmmmm....

Ground turkey is usually found in the freezer section near frozen sausage and such.

TimberLakers

TimberLakers

Awards
  • Established
Turkey isn't bad, but I love me some red meat for muscle growth.

TimberLakers

TimberLakers

Awards
  • Established
I think its great to mix up different protein sources.

All the ground turkey I see in my store unfortuntately is laden with fat, and more expensive than 'da beef.

keeper

I think its great to mix up different protein sources.

All the ground turkey I see in my store unfortuntately is laden with fat, and more expensive than 'da beef.
It may be different for guys building to the degree you do. I drink whey protien shakes, (52 g's) eat lots of beans, yogurt, gr turkey, eggs, tuna and have the once a week rib-eye. Look for the gr turkey that's frozen in a short tube package, like sausage. It's considerably less expensive (at least in my area) and leaner than that in the fresh meat display. Still has some fat, but no where near ground beef.

TimberLakers

TimberLakers

Awards
  • Established
Interesting, I'll keep an eye out.

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
well, if all you like is ground beef, and cant eat chicken breasts, tuna, fish, turkey, eggs, etc, then you probably should venture into another activity for this time. :raincloud:

LeeRoi

Awards
well, if all you like is ground beef, and cant eat chicken breasts, tuna, fish, turkey, eggs, etc, then you probably should venture into another activity for this time. :raincloud:
nah u misunderstood me, i love chicken breast, tuna etc

but I'm just bored of eating it every single day and trying to find new food ideas that are healthy. i fail at cooking so im gonna head to the book store this weekend and buy some cookbooks