Is Subway good for you?

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
Ok lately i have been eating a subway a lot and was just wondering is it really good for you? i know its better then like wendys or mcdonalds but i usually get the chicken bacon ranch with lettuce olives and jalapenos, its pretty rich in protein the foot long has over 50g i think, but are they healthy sandwiches there really tasty is why i ask and i think there a solid source of protein anyways if they are what do you usually get there?

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Break it down into components. Whole wheat bread = Healthy, if you need the carbs. Veggies always a good idea; high-cal mayo and dressings and fatty cheese not so much. Go on their website and look at the amount of fat, types of fat, sodium content, etc. If you're looking for a convenient carb source, the WW Vegetarian sub is a good choice, then add your own meat (as theirs often contains nitrites, preservates, or just a ton of mayo with their tuna). The Chicken and some of the coldcuts are pretty lean. If you choose the healthy options, it can be a pretty good meal for the busy individual. It's a matter of comparison; it's better than a double whopper on white bread.

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
6" Chicken & Bacon Ranch 590 Cal 270 Cal(fat) 30.0 (total Fat) 10.0 (sat Fat) 0.7(trans Fat) 49(carbs) 35 (Protein)

And thats a 6" i get a footlong eekdoesnt seem so healthy anymore

nparisi

nparisi

Awards
  • Established
yeah i used to work at subway it's not as healthy as you think
the only **** that is actually 'fresh' is the tomatoes, green bell peppers..well that's pretty much it lol
but whatever i ate a foot long every other day pretty much for like 2 years so...I did get a little chub but I think the cookies were more the culprit hahaha i couldn't stay away from the choc chip, one time i ate 18 in one shift(after smoking)...gross

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If and when I do eat it, I get a 6" whole wheat ham/turkey and I triple meat that sucker. Throw some lettuce,tomato,black olives and jalepenos on that sucker and you are good to go. Oh yeah...lots of mustard too!

n87

Awards
  • Established
... i couldn't stay away from the choc chip, one time i ate 18 in one shift(after smoking)...gross
I hear you on that one, damn good cookies! :)
Subway used to have wraps (good for low-carb diet), instead of bread, but not anymore. If I go there, I usually get toasted chicken breast sandwich. At least it's the actual meat, not that processed to death deli crap.

drivehard

drivehard

Awards
  • Established
I hear you on that one, damn good cookies! :)
Subway used to have wraps (good for low-carb diet), instead of bread, but not anymore. If I go there, I usually get toasted chicken breast sandwich. At least it's the actual meat, not that processed to death deli crap.
The wraps were higher in carbs and fat than their bread.

I go with the raosted chicken breast on wheat - 6" for lunch.

ALL the veggies plus mustard

NO mayo, oil, cheese, or any other fat.

Turns out pretty healthy that way.

Like most places, you just have to make the right choices to have it be healthy.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The wraps were higher in carbs and fat than their bread.

I go with the raosted chicken breast on wheat - 6" for lunch.

ALL the veggies plus mustard

NO mayo, oil, cheese, or any other fat.

Turns out pretty healthy that way.

Like most places, you just have to make the right choices to have it be healthy.
Not when the atkins was the star of the day... they have low carb wraps.

Adams

UKStrength

The meats and breads are pretty processed and very high in salt and added sugars (mainly glucose syrup).

The salad often looks like it's been sitting there for about 6 days (limp).

The sauces are loaded with sugar.

Conclusion: Make your own sandwich if possible, otherwise I can probably think of worse places to eat.

majinbijiita

majinbijiita

Awards
I get the roast beef with lettuce, onions, bell peppers, and cucumbers. No cheese on the honey oat bread. Add some vinegar and it's delicious!

The vinegar makes it taste sweet, with (I think?) no calories! But yea, the breads I'm sure are unhealthy and processed garbage. Just try to make it the healthiest you can if you are going to eat it.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
their "wheat" is not whole grain and is just as crappy as the white bread just dyed to fool us lol; chicken is probably far from being the same as organic from supermarket. I guarantee that 90% of their menu has HFCS except for the iceberg lettuce :)

I guess if you are busy it is an OK option, I stopped eating sandwiches all together; starches and proteins don't digest well together. Go for a spinach salad with a decent chicken breast if you can find a place that can make you one..I got the cafe people at work saving me all the goods, took only a year to sweeten them up :)

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
Im sorry guys am I really ignorant with my opinions? this is the 4th thread I was the last person to post in... feel like im pissing people off :)

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Im sorry guys am I really ignorant with my opinions? this is the 4th thread I was the last person to post in... feel like im pissing people off :)
Naw, the thread isn't one you drag on... pretty much everything was said.

Then again I know I come off as an ass many times. :D

Adams

Heavy Weight

Awards
Its a hell of a lot better than any grease fast food joint !

oldfart

oldfart

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
It most certainly is not good for you. The bread has 50 ingredients including MSG and chemicals that have been banned in other countries. It's processed garbage.

The meat contains nitrites and nitrates. These are proven to cause cancer even in small amounts. I don't think cancer is good for you.

Even many of the veggies are soaked in chemicals that are horrible for you including known carcinogens. I don't think carcinogens are good for you.

In short, Subway is processed crap that you really need to stay away from. Eat real whole foods.

Reactions: n87
Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
It most certainly is not good for you. The bread has 50 ingredients including MSG and chemicals that have been banned in other countries. It's processed garbage.

The meat contains nitrites and nitrates. These are proven to cause cancer even in small amounts. I don't think cancer is good for you.

Even many of the veggies are soaked in chemicals that are horrible for you including known carcinogens. I don't think carcinogens are good for you.

In short, Subway is processed crap that you really need to stay away from. Eat real whole foods.

Nitrates are also extremely helpful for lowering blood pressure. Everything is carcinogenic; you can't fear the world.

cumminslifter

cumminslifter

Awards
subway is the name of a restaurant, not a type of food

oldfart

oldfart

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Nitrates are also extremely helpful for lowering blood pressure. Everything is carcinogenic; you can't fear the world.
There are better ways to lower blood pressure then to get cancer. Whole foods are not cancer-causing and Subway is not even close to whole foods. Any sandwich you buy from Subway is filled with garbage you don't want and don't need in your body.

I understand that bitching about chemicals on a bodybuilding board sounds ludicrous but I think you want your food to be pure to make up for the damage being done elsewhere.

Reactions: n87
hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
subway is a joke....

fame126

fame126

Awards
  • Established
Im confused? is chipotle dbl ckn brown rice good for you? i always eat those i usually add the veggies and thats it. seems good?

oldfart

oldfart

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Im confused? is chipotle dbl ckn brown rice good for you? i always eat those i usually add the veggies and thats it. seems good?
From everything I've read, Chipotle is good for you. Minimally processed, organic meats, local produce. Sounds like whole foods to me.

cumminslifter

cumminslifter

Awards
There are better ways to lower blood pressure then to get cancer. Whole foods are not cancer-causing and Subway is not even close to whole foods. Any sandwich you buy from Subway is filled with garbage you don't want and don't need in your body.

I understand that bitching about chemicals on a bodybuilding board sounds ludicrous but I think you want your food to be pure to make up for the damage being done elsewhere.
then what is it? liquid?

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote

Cancer is not just a "if you take nitrates you'll get cancer"; thats not how it works. Its quite a complex process which involves the "switching off" and mutation of certain genes which are generally due to viral issues (viruses inserting their genetic code into our chromosomes etc.).

A review I found a while ago;sounds promising :D

Food Chem Toxicol. 2012 Oct;50(10):3646-65. doi: 10.1016/j.fct.2012.07.062. Epub 2012 Aug 4.

Ingested nitrate and nitrite and stomach cancer risk: an updated review.

Bryan NS, Alexander DD, Coughlin JR, Milkowski AL, Boffetta P.

Source

Texas Therapeutics Institute, Houston, TX 77030, USA. [email protected]

Abstract

Nitrite and nitrate are naturally occurring molecules in vegetables and also added to cured and processed meats to delay spoilage and pathogenic bacteria growth. Research over the past 15 years has led to a paradigm change in our ideas about health effects of both nitrite and nitrate. Whereas, historically nitrite and nitrate were considered harmful food additives and listed as probable human carcinogens under conditions where endogenous nitrosation could take place, they are now considered by some as indispensible nutrients essential for cardiovascular health by promoting nitric oxide (NO) production. We provide an update to the literature and knowledge base concerning their safety. Most nitrite and nitrate exposure comes from naturally occurring and endogenous sources and part of the cell signaling effects of NO involve nitrosation. Nitrosation must now be considered broadly in terms of both S- and N-nitrosated species, since S-nitrosation is kinetically favored. Protein S-nitrosation is a significant part of the role of NO in cellular signal transduction and is involved in critical aspects of cardiovascular health. A critical review of the animal toxicology literature of nitrite indicates that in the absence of co-administration of a carcinogenic nitrosamine precursor, there is no evidence for carcinogenesis. Newly published prospective epidemiological cohort studies indicate that there is no association between estimated intake of nitrite and nitrate in the diet and stomach cancer. This new and growing body of evidence calls for a reconsideration of nitrite and nitrate safety.

Copyright © 2012 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.

PMID: 22889895 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

TexasGuy

Awards
Relatively healthy, sure. The nitrates and preservatives aren't great for over all health but from a nutritionally dense caloric perspective, yes. Load it with vegetables and it isn't much difference than a salad with bread on the side.

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
subway is the name of a restaurant, not a type of food
It's as much a type of food as McDonalds or KFC. You can make a submarine sandwich at home as you can make burgers, fried chicken etc. and it won't be anywhere near the same nutritional values as that other crap which to me represents their "type" of food. All fast foods have a certain taste they go for and recipes they patent which makes them each a type of food.

TexasGuy

Awards
Lol, of course, I should've read replies before responding. I suppose if you have high blood pressure nitrates "could" be beneficial according to the study in question. Otherwise it's a moot point.

But yeah, if you're looking at Subway loaded with veggies vs. McDonalds with maybe a single slice of tomato, minimal onions and two, tiny pickle slices subway offers more bang for the buck.

cumminslifter

cumminslifter

Awards
It's as much a type of food as McDonalds or KFC. You can make a submarine sandwich at home as you can make burgers, fried chicken etc. and it won't be anywhere near the same nutritional values as that other crap which to me represents their "type" of food. All fast foods have a certain taste they go for and recipes they patent which makes them each a type of food.
:wtf:

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Lol, of course, I should've read replies before responding. I suppose if you have high blood pressure nitrates "could" be beneficial according to the study in question. Otherwise it's a moot point.

But yeah, if you're looking at Subway loaded with veggies vs. McDonalds with maybe a single slice of tomato, minimal onions and two, tiny pickle slices subway offers more bang for the buck.
Useful in people without HBP aswell; helps prevent one from developing it :D

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
From everything I've read, Chipotle is good for you. Minimally processed, organic meats, local produce. Sounds like whole foods to me.
Chiptole just started labeling their gmo food

cumminslifter

cumminslifter

Awards
If you can't see what I'm getting at then go eat some subway.
I actually just did the other day
your post made no sense. are you saying since this food is being served at an eating establishment and not your home it is somehow "bad" for you?

TexasGuy

Awards
your post made no sense. are you saying since this food is being served at an eating establishment and not your home it is somehow "bad" for you?
It made sense.

TexasGuy

Awards
Yep.

The submarine sandwich that Subway hung it's namesake on can be made in a healthier fashion than the restaurant puts out.

Compared to Wendy's, Subway is healthier for reasons previously discussed though the types of foods Wendy's is synonymous with (hamburgers and chicken breast sandwiches) can be made healthy at home.

This is what Mike said, don't play a coy, pre-pubescent chick role. It isn't becoming.

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
The product fast food chains put out and call food is synonymous with their brand or name. Therefor a submarine sandwich from subway is not just a sub it's a subway sandwich and unlike other subs from other chains or delis. They create their own product which is basically consistent of the lowest quality ingredients while maintaining the flavor profile they construct in their labs to maintain cost efficiency in the worst way. They don't care what goes in your body so long as you believe it's the healthier choice when in reality you're eating more chemicals and by products then you'd dream of with the thought in your head that "it couldn't be that bad cus its so simple".
It sounds like you are the demographic they look to sell too so enjoy your footlong of lies. You may as well shove that 12 inches up your ass since your getting fuked when you consume their product anyway.
Open your eyes a little wider and you'll find mom n pop delis or if you have to even grocery chains that'll make a healthier sub for ya.

TexasGuy

Awards
The product fast food chains put out and call food is synonymous with their brand or name. Therefor a submarine sandwich from subway is not just a sub it's a subway sandwich and unlike other subs from other chains or delis. They create their own product which is basically consistent of the lowest quality ingredients while maintaining the flavor profile they construct in their labs to maintain cost efficiency in the worst way. They don't care what goes in your body so long as you believe it's the healthier choice when in reality you're eating more chemicals and by products then you'd dream of with the thought in your head that "it couldn't be that bad cus its so simple".
It sounds like you are the demographic they look to sell too so enjoy your footlong of lies. You may as well shove that 12 inches up your ass since your getting fuked when you consume their product anyway.
I'd eat a Wendy all day ;) amiright?

cumminslifter

cumminslifter

Awards
Open your eyes a little wider and you'll find mom n pop delis or if you have to even grocery chains that'll make a healthier sub for ya.
so if I set a subway footlong and a footlong I made myself you could tell the difference?

TexasGuy

Awards
so if I set a subway footlong and a footlong I made myself you could tell the difference?
Are you using Subways' ****ty ingredients or stepping it up? I bet if you set a Subway next to a Quiznos you could tell a definitely difference, and you're not even talking quality over and above.

More importantly, you've identified the fact that brands are synonymous with their products.

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
I wouldn't eat a damn thing you make. You're having such a hard time understanding this conversation that I'm not convinced you can figure out a sandwich....

..........:)

CATdiesel76

CATdiesel76

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Subway is god awful for you.

Like mentioned earlier, the bread has more ingredients than you can count. Wheat bread? More like overly processed crap with caramel syrup coloring to make it appear healthy. Stuff is worse than most white breads.

That grilled chicken breast? Mechanically separated chicken soaked in enough chemicals to kill a horse with grill marks painted on. You mean to tell me that chicken breasts aren't all exactly the same shap and size???!!!!

Lets use our brains. Do you really think a company is going to profit from a 5 dollar footlong if they are using healthy, fresh ingredients? I think not.

Still probably better than McDonald's

cumminslifter

cumminslifter

Awards
I wouldn't eat a damn thing you make. You're having such a hard time understanding this conversation that I'm not convinced you can figure out a sandwich....

..........:)
I understand what you are trying to say, but your argument is invalid which is leading you to take personal attacks because you cant defend your point

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
I understand what you are trying to say, but your argument is invalid which is leading you to take personal attacks because you cant defend your point

What's to defend? I made my point and in no way have you challenged it in a way that makes me want to pursue the conversation so I ended it with a joke on you. Your replies are just as Texasguy described them as. If ya can't handle alil heat then don't get your sub toasted.

cumminslifter

cumminslifter

Awards
What's to defend? I made my point and in no way have you challenged it in a way that makes me want to pursue the conversation so I ended it with a joke on you. Your replies are just as Texasguy described them as. If ya can't handle alil heat then don't get your sub toasted.
which are? correct?
and btw I never get them toasted

healthychaser

Awards
Man i always thought it was healthy! :eek: i usually get chicken sub loaded with everything on honeyoat bread! Is this why i get fatigued in the middle of the day?!

cumminslifter

cumminslifter

Awards
Man i always thought it was healthy! :eek: i usually get chicken sub loaded with everything on honeyoat bread! Is this why i get fatigued in the middle of the day?!
no, subway is absolutely fine