looking for a new source of post wo carbs

mrlargecalves

Awards
  • Established
I've been on the waxy maize wagon for about a year now and ive decided to hop off. Beginning to think its overhyped junk. Wanted to hear what carb souce u guys choose after your workouts and why. oats? dext? malt? jelly donuts? just wanted to gather some info to make a decision. Thanks!

boooosted

boooosted

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've been on the waxy maize wagon for about a year now and ive decided to hop off. Beginning to think its overhyped junk. Wanted to hear what carb souce u guys choose after your workouts and why. oats? dext? malt? jelly donuts? just wanted to gather some info to make a decision. Thanks!
I eat a handful of gummy bears and a whey shake immediately post w/o. Then when I get home Its chicken and pasta.

nemo

nemo

Awards
  • Established
I drink a shake by American Bodybuilding called "Mass Recovery",.. contains 35gms of protein and 60 gms of carbs, mostly maltodextrin. From my understanding, malto is sucked up by the muscles. About an hour later, I eat a balanced meal, still with some quick carbs!

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
oats and glucose mix with whey taken with an insulin mimiker

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
oatmeal or wheat bread. Currently off the WMS wagon myself.

faaipdeoiad

faaipdeoiad

Awards
i prefer granola with some ff milk plus a whey shake. in granola like 1/2 to 2/3 of the carbs are from oats with the rest from sugar. plus its delicious. sometimes il toss a half a banana or some blueberries with it

mrlargecalves

Awards
  • Established
to the 1s that take oats, do u believe oats replenish glycogen quick enough to choose it over malt or dext

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
Carb sources PWO include: (pick 1)
1) 2 granola bars
2) 2 cups of light-n-fit yogurt
3) 1/2C oats
4) 1C ff milk
5) 2 small boxes of raisins

add any of the above to

2scoops whey/casein

Ive never done the WM thing myself. Always just used whole foods as my carb sources. I dont think your insulin needs to be spiked that much quicker by eating pure sugars

Sometimes i even drink a 1/2 gallon of FF milk. Has the perfect combination of sugars, whey/casein all in one drink. Tried and true whole food there

thanks

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
Hi read what you suggested with interest especially this part "Increasing the glucose content of skeletal muscle (in
the form of glycogen) is beneficial for gaining muscle, but remember that GLUT-4
transporters also exist on fat cells and therefore insulin secretion promotes the storage of
glucose in both skeletal muscle and fat cells. " Just wondering if insulin mimikers like alpha lipoic acid, d-pinotol etc can make you fat if taken with carbs?

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Try cream of bckwheat or some other complete protein grain quinoa amaranth

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
Hi read what you suggested with interest especially this part "Increasing the glucose content of skeletal muscle (in
the form of glycogen) is beneficial for gaining muscle, but remember that GLUT-4
transporters also exist on fat cells and therefore insulin secretion promotes the storage of
glucose in both skeletal muscle and fat cells. " Just wondering if insulin mimikers like alpha lipoic acid, d-pinotol etc can make you fat if taken with carbs?
im beginning to wonder what doesnt make me fat? lol

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
sometimes you ask a legitimate question and you get back a load of tosh

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
i always do whey/dex/malt for after and whey/dex for during. read a bunch of trials on post workout supplementation and the improvement waxy maize provides does not justify the high price. I would definitely not rely on oatmeal or milk post workout, the body needs to replenish glycogen so much quicker, and it helps you stay anabolic during the hours following. oatmeal has a GI of about 55-60 so I only use it as preworkout. after workouts you can do a range of things however: I often stop at the supermarket after the gym and while I shop I eat their precut watermelon (I know its a waste of money lol) and you can also snack on dates, they have a GI of 100 just like glucose.. I guess because it is so sugary.

gummy bears after lifting??? I guess yellow-5, red-10 and table sugar will make you huge!!!!!! I mean you can pretty much eat anything after lifting/upon wakeup because of how starved your body is, but come on candy?

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Honey

Oats are not a good PWO meal. Oats make a better preworkout meal because its a slow digesting carb providing your body with fuel throughout your workout. After workouts you need some fast digesting carbs to spike that insulin and cram those nutrities and glycogen into your muscles.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Basmati rice with honey and raisins. Delicious, alkalinic, and a mix of complex and simple carbs.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Basmati rice with honey and raisins. Delicious, alkalinic, and a mix of complex and simple carbs.
that actually sounds really good.....

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Brown Rice baked beans and pineapple in wirchester sauce mmmm

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
it is still not good enough, I dont care how alkaline your rice is!!! the body is completely depleted after workouts, especially if you go all out when you lift. it is going to take way too long for you to digest the rice/raisins/oats/quinoa anything!!! liquid is the only way to get your glycogen back to normal. try an experiment: supplement with whey/dex/malt and see how your energy levels are after a hard workout, and then try to choke down some rice and oats right after your workout. see how it feels if you dont believe me. food is way superior to any liquid supplements except for right after workout.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
honey is is liquid and is an excellent PWO carb source.....

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
Honey

Oats are not a good PWO meal. Oats make a better preworkout meal because its a slow digesting carb providing your body with fuel throughout your workout. After workouts you need some fast digesting carbs to spike that insulin and cram those nutrities and glycogen into your muscles.
it is still not good enough, I dont care how alkaline your rice is!!! the body is completely depleted after workouts, especially if you go all out when you lift. it is going to take way too long for you to digest the rice/raisins/oats/quinoa anything!!! liquid is the only way to get your glycogen back to normal. try an experiment: supplement with whey/dex/malt and see how your energy levels are after a hard workout, and then try to choke down some rice and oats right after your workout. see how it feels if you dont believe me. food is way superior to any liquid supplements except for right after workout.
I am going to have to politely and partially disagree. I am not saying your(other PWO) methods wont work, all i am saying is dont bash on the oats or rice gentlemen. They do work well in PWO supplementation.

Please re-read this-

"Exercise, especially resistance training, has been shown to increase GLUT-4
translocation on skeletal muscle in the absence of insulin, meaning after your lift weights
you do not need insulin for your muscles to uptake glucose. While insulin will certainly
enhance the anabolic response of a meal post workout, slamming 100 grams of dextrose
(pure glucose) is not needed since skeletal muscle is already able to uptake glucose in the
absence of insulin after a workout. Increasing the glucose content of skeletal muscle (in
glucose in both skeletal muscle and fat cells.

Therefore, one needs to increase the storage
of glucose in skeletal muscle and decrease the storage of glucose in fat cells; this can be
done by consuming low glycemic carbohydrates such as oatmeal post-workout instead of
high glycemic carbs like dextrose.

In summary, it is not necessary to jack blood glucose and insulin levels through
the roof in order to replenish glycogen and gain muscle. Skeletal muscle is able to uptake
glucose whenever it needs it.
In addition, skeletal muscle is primed to uptake glucose
after exercise. By controlling your insulin levels you can gain lean mass while keeping
fat gains to a minimum.Taken from Bulking For Endomorphs."

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Even if you burn 1000kcals while training (an approximate for 60 minutes of training for a 200 lb person), that would be a max of 250g of glycogen. Tell me, do you honestly think the average person carries only 250g of glycogen? Please tell me you're not that ignorant on the subject.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I am ignorant :( lol

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Ur only depleting glycogen in the muscle ur using. Plus with the build up of lactate and the cori cycle u replenish some glycogen. Plus doing it immediatly afrer isn't all that important unless ur an endurance athlete. Throughout the day u will still replensih glycogen

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ur only depleting glycogen in the muscle ur using. Plus with the build up of lactate and the cori cycle u replenish some glycogen. Plus doing it immediatly afrer isn't all that important unless ur an endurance athlete. Throughout the day u will still replensih glycogen
Also, 99.99% of people know not to lift on an empty stomach. You've has sources of glucose/glycogen and fat is also being used as substrate during training (the first source is IMTG, which athletes have more of). When I was training 2x/day for a fight last year. I used a mix of complex and simple carbs throughout the day to keep both my liver and muscle glycogen full.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
what about people on Keto diets. I have heard of people just sipping BCAA;s before, during and, after taking in No carbs.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
what about people on Keto diets. I have heard of people just sipping BCAA;s before, during and, after taking in No carbs.
Not a performance diet. There's a huge difference between performance and aesthetics.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Not a performance diet. There's a huge difference between performance and aesthetics.
sorry i wasnt aware we were talking about two different diets, just in general i meant.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
sorry i wasnt aware we were talking about two different diets, just in general i meant.
I was speaking about the difference between the goals of certain diets. Most diets of an element of performance to them, but the CKD/TKD diets are mainly for aesthetics. These types of diets tend to favor only having the person lose fat while maintaining LBM.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
yeah, thats what I am TRYING to do right now lol.