Dangerous Protein?

NerdFlexd

NerdFlexd

Awards
Ok so i've been hearing alot of stuff about how high protein diets are actually very harmful to your body. Ketoacidosis, putting extreme strain on the kidneys to filter out excess protein, blocking various functions of the body such as calcium absorption and bone growth. Even build of of toxins in the digestive track leading to cancer and tumors later on in life. This isn't just some small niche of people either, its nutritionists and scientist performing trials and test to look into this, and from what ive seen it all shows that high protein diets are bad for you really bad. Has anyone else been seeing or hearing about this? What do you guys know about this? Is that only for non-builders, and were safe because we use the protein? or are we all slowly poisoning ourselves?

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
keto acidosis is usually found in diabetics

also the reason why is due to muscle catabolism of BCAAs causing amonia to be filted through the kidny and causing harmful toxins in the body however in all these studies how much protein and how much water are the individuals taking>? in most protein studies i dont believe i see a water intake consistent of what we take in

NerdFlexd

NerdFlexd

Awards
thats is another thought i had about it. since we all take in excess water to feed our muscles and help with growth. wouldn't it also take the load of the kidneys by diluting the filtering process with the excess water?

p00ndawg

p00ndawg

Banned
Awards
  • Established
thats is another thought i had about it. since we all take in excess water to feed our muscles and help with growth. wouldn't it also take the load of the kidneys by diluting the filtering process with the excess water?
yes

although id like to see the studies done with users drinking 1 - 2 gals a day.

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
Yes, kidney/renal disease leading to failure can be a side effect of high protein diets for sustained periods. The majority of people believe they require much more protein than actually needed. For the most intense athletes they only require 1.5 - 2.2 g protein per kilogram of body weight.

Deadlift3

Deadlift3

Awards
I have heard about studies that showed how Casein protein could cause cancer and hw its bad. After hearing that I never took my bedtime ON Casein protein shake again.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yes, kidney/renal disease leading to failure can be a side effect of high protein diets for sustained periods. The majority of people believe they require much more protein than actually needed. For the most intense athletes they only require 1.5 - 2.2 g protein per kilogram of body weight.
and this is coming from the people who set carbohydrate reccommendations based on not being in ketosis, and maintining a body fat they they feel is normal for everyone,

theres really not a need for carbohydrate in the diet, we can make what we need from glucogenic AA

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
and this is coming from the people who set carbohydrate reccommendations based on not being in ketosis, and maintining a body fat they they feel is normal for everyone,

theres really not a need for carbohydrate in the diet, we can make what we need from glucogenic AA
Carbohydrates are only the main substrate for fuel selection for exercise and performance. And, during rest for neurons and red blood cells. You're right they aren't important and the body will be a full potential by having to undergo gluconeogenesis for it's entire glucose/glycogen needs.

If that's true then why do professional athletes eat carbohydrates? Why does anyone eat them?

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Carbohydrates are only the main substrate for fuel selection for exercise and performance. And, during rest for neurons and red blood cells. You're right they aren't important and the body will be a full potential by having to undergo gluconeogenesis for it's entire glucose/glycogen needs.

If that's true then why do professional athletes eat carbohydrates? Why does anyone eat them?
you will never truely get a 0 carb diet, plus the cori cycle plays a role in glucose and glycogen formation

the body adapted when certain carbohydrates came about, just remember what we started out with

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
you will never truely get a 0 carb diet, plus the cori cycle plays a role in glucose and glycogen formation

the body adapted when certain carbohydrates came about, just remember what we started out with
Right. During exercise some of the lactic acid that is produced by skeletal muscles is transported to the liver and converted to glucose via gluconeogensis.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Right. During exercise some of the lactic acid that is produced by skeletal muscles is transported to the liver and converted to glucose via gluconeogensis.

well by the cori cycle as well.

nparisi

nparisi

Awards
  • Established
I have heard about studies that showed how Casein protein could cause cancer and hw its bad. After hearing that I never took my bedtime ON Casein protein shake again.
Casein protein is in milk, cottage cheese, etc.
This sounds like one of those red meat causes cancer studies..
did you drop milk etc from your diet too?

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Casein protein is in milk, cottage cheese, etc.
This sounds like one of those red meat causes cancer studies..
did you drop milk etc from your diet too?
red meat has to do with n-6 being pro inflamatory plus the saturated fats dont help much in teerms of CVD,

but its ok to eat lean red meat, or any red meat as long as your diet is balanced in n-3 to n-6

Cinn

Cinn

Awards
I have a cancer-preventing bridge that I can sell you.

NerdFlexd

NerdFlexd

Awards
So Im still seeing alot of conflicting ideas still, but the main idea im getting from this is:
-Athletes do need higher levels of protein to construct increased muscle and help boost body function and repair.
-Although higher levels are needed, its best not to over do it because too much excess can cause problems.
-After getting protein intake close to "optimization" levels, drinking added water and taking a multivitamin(to keep you system balanced and avoid the excess water flushing necessary nutrients out of your system), it should stave of any negative effects as the body will use most of the protein and any excess will by diluted by the water intake and preventing any damaging effects.

Did i get that all right?

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ok lets look at this practically. When your average person talks about high protein diets being bad for you they generally are speaking about people who do not perform an abundance of resistance training and often people who do not consume the amount of water condusive to the amount of protein they take in.

If your performing high amounts of strenuous exercise you obviously need more protein than the average Joe, and if your doing it to gain muscle mass even moreso. As you know protein is necessary for reparation of muscles during recovery. That is, as most of you know how muscle is built. If you are taking in increased amounts of protein then you will have to take in more water.

Yah you can do damage on high protein diets if it's more protein than you should be taking over an extended period. What is too much for Person A however may not be too much for Person B. Generally I think a lot of us do use a little too much. I myself am getting by on much less with very good results. Most would still consider my diet high at around 250-70 grams a day. I weigh 240 and am quite lean so that definitely is not that excessive. I believe it to be a healthy level for my lifestyle.

I think it is definitely think it is something each one of us should consider but don't get caught up in the hype about high protein is bad... it could be but not neccessarily.

Forster

Forster

Board Supporter
Awards
Notice all the aging bodybuilders dying from kidney failure? neither do I.

Lean/Clean Protein + adequate water you will never have issues.

I take in at least 240 grams of protein and minimum of 150oz water per day for decade, I get a full checkup (including kindey/liver/thyroid/etc..) once a year. Everything according to Doc is perfect.

Last edited:

Necroticism

Awards
  • Established
i saw a study linking too much protein consumptions to health problems a while back...i believe it was 5g/lb of body weight...so a 200 lb bodybuilder would have to eat 1000g of protein a day...again in excess everything is dangerous. alot of idiots took this and misconstrued the information..