Need some help on preparing chicken thighs

F355

F355

Awards
  • Established
So I got a bag of frozen chicken thighs from Walmart and have no clue where to start since I've never prepared chicken thighs from scratch. I want to incorporate chicken thighs, wings, drumsticks into a carb cycling routine. I never knew how much better of macro profile chicken has then beef, specifically the fat content.

I'd like to know is it necessary to trim the fat if you're carb cycling? Also what is the best way to measure the chicken since the bone would make up a good portion of the weight. I would think cook it first then take off all the content off the bone for the most accurate measurement. I should note that I don't have a grill, just a Foreman, and will be using my oven to cook these. I've heard of people cooking thighs and wings on a Foreman, wtf, can't imagine it works as good as a fire grill or oven.

Just to reiterate, I just need to know the prepartion steps for cooking in the oven. What I have thought of so far is

1. Thaw, season, and marinate for an hour or two (would like to know the best duration for marinades)

2. Pre-heat oven and grease glass oven pan (would like to know best cooking temperature for these and best oven pans for thighs)

3. Bake for however long you guys recommend. Again, I know all of this sounds dumb but I've never cooked chicken in the oven and really don't know the best duration and temperature. I'm hoping ya'll can school me on that.

4. And finally, how long can I keep thighs for after cooked; 3 days max?

All the tips and advice is appreciated, thanks.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
I don't generally cook thighs or dark meat, since the fat content is drastically higher. The lean beef is possibly a better choice. skinless boneless chick breast is the best option. if you can afford fresh chick breast vs. frozen, even better. But since you have it, no need to waste it. I bake breasts at 350 degrees starting with 20 minutes. i usually cook 3 lbs at a time by the way. I check to make sure pink is gone, and if not, go a couple more minutes. you don't want to overcook it since the leftovers will be drier than you probably like. I've kept cooked chicken in tupperware for 5, sometimes 7 days and never had problems.

UKStrength

I don't generally cook thighs or dark meat, since the fat content is drastically higher. The lean beef is possibly a better choice. skinless boneless chick breast is the best option. if you can afford fresh chick breast vs. frozen, even better. But since you have it, no need to waste it. I bake breasts at 350 degrees starting with 20 minutes. i usually cook 3 lbs at a time by the way. I check to make sure pink is gone, and if not, go a couple more minutes. you don't want to overcook it since the leftovers will be drier than you probably like. I've kept cooked chicken in tupperware for 5, sometimes 7 days and never had problems.
Thigh chicken meat isn't too high in terms of fat content (~5g per thigh, without skin), it's cheap and generally much tastier than breast (juicier) without additional condiments and stays moist after cooking instead of drying out.

I'd like to know is it necessary to trim the fat if you're carb cycling? Also what is the best way to measure the chicken since the bone would make up a good portion of the weight...
It's probably unnecessary as you'll be taking in a greater proportion of your calories from fat anyway, on your 'higher' carbohydrate days, you'll probably want to trim the meat though.

Just to reiterate, I just need to know the prepartion steps for cooking in the oven. What I have thought of so far is

1. Thaw, season, and marinate for an hour or two (would like to know the best duration for marinades)
Overnight in the fridge is best, but at least an hour for a decent flavour.

2. Pre-heat oven and grease glass oven pan (would like to know best cooking temperature for these and best oven pans for thighs)
No need to grease a pan, I just used to shove a load of defrosted thighs into a large piece of foil with my marinades/herbs/spices etc. make the whole thing into a 'bag' (bring the edges of the foil together into a parcel), and shove the whole lot in the oven for 30 minutes at 200 degrees C.

3. Bake for however long you guys recommend. Again, I know all of this sounds dumb but I've never cooked chicken in the oven and really don't know the best duration and temperature. I'm hoping ya'll can school me on that.
The safest way is to buy an oven thermometer (probe with a temperature gauge). Pierce a piece of the chicken at the thickest point and dig right into the middle of the meat. If it's reached 70 degrees C or above, you're good to go.

4. And finally, how long can I keep thighs for after cooked; 3 days max?
I wouldn't keep it much longer than 3 days, bacteria grows very fast on cooked meats and salmonella is NOT fun.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I love thighs while going Paleo. Easiest way to cook them is throw about 2 lbs in a gallon size bag along with a liquid marinade of choice for at least 6 hours. After that put them on a Foreman for about 4 minutes per side.

Chubbinmuffin

Chubbinmuffin

Awards
  • Established
Bone-in chicken usually takes longer to cook than boneless. I usually cook boneless breast at 300°F for 30 minutes and thighs/leg quarters at 350°F for 45-55 minutes. UK is right though, the only truly accurate way is to use a thermometer. Another way to tell if it's done (not sure if it's safe, never done it) is to pierce the meat at the thickest part and if the juice comes out clear, its finished. Don't bother cooking on a Foreman, ruins food IMO.

My favorite marinades are mesquite lime and Thai type marinades.

F355

F355

Awards
  • Established
I appreciate all the feedback guys; sounds easier than I thought. Also, the fat content is necessarily all that bad in thighs, or am I missing something? Because there's about 1.5g of saturated fat per serving and the rest is mono and polyunsaturated fats. I forget where I read it but it was a talk about mayonnaise and how the fat in it is bad. Now knowing mayo most of it is all polyunsaturated fats, are polyunsat-fats that bad? I was under the impression that mono and poly unsaturated fats are good fats, while saturated are the ones you want to keep on the low side.

Good call on the thermometer, I've been meaning to get one for awhile now. And good call on using foil instead of a pan. Do you just stick the whole foil bag in the oven or do you at least place it on a large plate or something?

Chubbinmuffin, normally I'd vouch for the Foreman, but there's no way I'm using it for the thighs, wings or legs, no way. And although I use my Foreman on a daily basis, it does "ruin" food. If you think chicken breasts taste better on Foreman than on a fire grill or oven, you're nuts. The only reason I like using my Foreman is for one reason, time efficiency. I think I'm going to start cooking breasts in the oven in large quantities like you, that way I can have them cooked for 3 days. I could cook them all on the Foreman, but I also don't want dried out chicken.

Rodja, I'm very curious as to how you cook thighs on the Foreman lol.

youngandfree, I will never go lower than 90% lean when it comes to beef, even if I'm carb cycling. I have tried 73/27 and 80/20, uggghhh there is just no way those cuts are good for you, just no way, again even on keto or carb cycling. I used the last of my 5lb 80/20 for my salad the other day, talk about grease bowl. I reheated and the pool of fat left in my bowl was so unappetizing, I just man'ed up and ate it. The only time I'll eat "fatty" beef is when it comes to steaks other than that nothing less than 90% when it comes to ground.

UKStrength

Good call on the thermometer, I've been meaning to get one for awhile now. And good call on using foil instead of a pan. Do you just stick the whole foil bag in the oven or do you at least place it on a large plate or something?
You could stick the whole bag on an oven-proof dish to stop it falling off the oven racks. This method also has the added benefit of eliminating any washing-up! :)

drivehard

drivehard

Awards
  • Established
With high fat meats I do the following...

Throw in a covered pan and bake at 300 until it "falls off the bone"

Stip meat from fat and bones and throw in a container and put in fridge.

The next day seperate the standing fat from the meat...throw the meat in a pot of boiling water and boil for 5 min.

Drain meat in strainer...rinse with HOT water.

You now have meat with MUCH less fat...works great!

UKStrength

With high fat meats I do the following...

Throw in a covered pan and bake at 300 until it "falls off the bone"

Stip meat from fat and bones and throw in a container and put in fridge.

The next day seperate the standing fat from the meat...throw the meat in a pot of boiling water and boil for 5 min.

Drain meat in strainer...rinse with HOT water.

You now have meat with MUCH less fat...works great!
That method works well too for ground beef.

Fry up the beef in a pan then rinse under hot water tap (use a sieve) until the water runs clear.