Sodium-How much is allowed?

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Alright I did a bit of a search, but most results were about contest prep and weight loss of BP issues and such.

My question is I know I am hitting plenty more than my 100% daily intake of sodium thanks to eating so much more for a bulk. Mostly because I can only afford cheap-middle priced stuff. I get no salt added green beans and such, but canned tuna and all that has alot of sodium.

Considering I have a 1-1.5 gallon a day water intake, will this cause any issues in the long run?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Adequate water/potassium consumption will negate any potential negative sides. IMO, sodium consumption is horribly overrated unless you're hypertensive.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Adequate water/potassium consumption will negate any potential negative sides. IMO, sodium consumption is horribly overrated unless you're hypertensive.
Thanks man. Not sure on my potassium, though I will check my multi's I am sure they have some. I wont eat bananas no more due to the fact I found out(3 week test) they ruin workouts for me and make me weak....duno why.

I didnt think so. What about if I ever run a PH since that will be funky with BP possibly.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
Also you can get low sodium tuna, although it costs a bit more. Starkist has a "very low sodium chunk white" in a gold can. Has 30mg per serving I think, compared to normal chunk light in water in blue can that has I think more than 100mgs per serving. Also just make sure you don't add salt to your food if you are one to put 6-10 shakes on your plate.

But as stated above, if you stay properly hydrated, and you workout hard and sweat, you do need the sodium to replenish.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Also you can get low sodium tuna, although it costs a bit more. Starkist has a "very low sodium chunk white" in a gold can. Has 30mg per serving I think, compared to normal chunk light in water in blue can that has I think more than 100mgs per serving. Also just make sure you don't add salt to your food if you are one to put 6-10 shakes on your plate.

But as stated above, if you stay properly hydrated, and you workout hard and sweat, you do need the sodium to replenish.
I dont salt my food personally. I had fresh ground pepper. But I try to make my food good enough to not need salt, or I ignore taste and understand it will be healthy for me. Too many panzies today who need flavor...hence why mcdonalds is so big.

UKStrength

...I wont eat bananas no more due to the fact I found out(3 week test) they ruin workouts for me and make me weak....duno why.
Bananas are plentiful in tryptophan, a precursor for serotonin (5-HT). Serotonin would make you feel sleepy as it's intrinsically associated with the parasympathetic nervous system.

Some people are sensitive to these types of foods, perhaps avoid bananas pre-workout and anytime you need to be 'awake' (they'll be great pre-bed for you btw).

I didnt think so. What about if I ever run a PH since that will be funky with BP possibly.
I certainly wouldn't go crazy with the sodium on PH/DS, but hypertensive issues are very much a user-specific issue. If hypertension and cardiovascular issues run in the family I'd be extra cautious but otherwise don't lose hair over it ;)

mDeezy

mDeezy

Awards
  • Established
+1 to rodja's post

as long as your blood pressure is normal you don't need to worry about going over your RDA. that's based on a 2k cal diet anyway.