Starch Free Diet

Fear

Fear

Awards
I have been trying a starch free diet as of lately in order to get as lean and strong as I can for the summer. The diet pretty much excludes bread, pasta, rice, potatoes yams, etc. - except for maybe once or twice a week as a pre workout 'cheat' carb up. After starting about four weeks ago, It seems that I've already lost some body fat and gained some strength. Being 5'10 and 170 lbs. right now, my goal is to keep the weight (add some if possible) but drop as much fat as I can. I see it as a fairly fast body recomp, with the possibility of adding a bit of lean muscle.

My split consists of 33% protein, 33% carbohydrate, and 33% fat. Protein usually comes from lean, quality sources. Carbohydrates are mostly a lot of veggies, fruit, and legumes (can of beans a day or more). Fats come almost exclusively from unsaturated sources, like nuts, olive oil, avocados, etc. Calorie intake is between 2200-2500.

Supplements: Protein Plus Powder (comes with a little bit of Glutamine) of which I use one scoop (25 gr protein, 3g glutamine) post workout and sometimes before bed, Omega 3 fish capsules, and a strong multivitamin.

Training: 4-5 days a week, one hour of moderate-high intensity weightlifting, plues 30 mins of cardio.

I'll update my progress with information and pictures as I go along. I really appreciate suggestions/comments, espcially if you know anything that could help with this sort of lifestyle. Thank you.

UKStrength

By removing many of the 'starchy' sources you've added a ton of fibre to your diet (which a lot of trainees don't eat enough of), this has a number of benefits including: increased fat oxidation after a meal and burning extra calories as you feed.

It's the type of diet I think all trainees should be eating, although I'd allow them to eat starchy foods on a daily basis around training.

I would allow some more 'saturated' sources of fat e.g. virgin coconut oil. Saturated fat is needed for the creation of testosterone in the body, which will reduce as you increase fibre intake and drop calories.

Fear

Fear

Awards
By removing many of the 'starchy' sources you've added a ton of fibre to your diet (which a lot of trainees don't eat enough of), this has a number of benefits including: increased fat oxidation after a meal and burning extra calories as you feed.

It's the type of diet I think all trainees should be eating, although I'd allow them to eat starchy foods on a daily basis around training.

I would allow some more 'saturated' sources of fat e.g. virgin coconut oil. Saturated fat is needed for the creation of testosterone in the body, which will reduce as you increase fibre intake and drop calories.
I've definitely been getting TONS of fiber following this diet, averaging about 50 grams a day. I always drink lots of water to aid with this massive fiber intake, as well as the slightly lower carb intake. This, and the fact that my blood sugar remains stable throughout the day, are the two main reasons for picking up on this lifestyle.

As for saturated fat - I've always heard about the connection between it and testosterone, but never got around to going through with eating large amounts because of the negative rep sat. fat gets for being the 'bad' kind of fat. I think I get decent amounts from eating healthy fat sources as it is (lots of nuts, olive/canola oil, avocados, fish, and some eggs/steak.) Is coconut oil healthier as a sat. fat? Also, when would be the best time to consume it (I'm assuming preworkout?)

UKStrength

...Is coconut oil healthier as a sat. fat? Also, when would be the best time to consume it (I'm assuming preworkout?)
Taken from Nevin and Rajamohan (2004)

"VCO obtained by wet process has a beneficial effect in lowering lipid components compared to CO. It reduced total cholesterol, triglycerides, phospholipids, LDL, and VLDL cholesterol levels and increased HDL cholesterol in serum and tissues. The PF of virgin coconut oil was also found to be capable of preventing in vitro LDL oxidation with reduced carbonyl formation."

So virgin coconut oil actually lowers serum trigycerides as opposed to raising it.

I would consume it with your other meals, not preworkout/postworkout as carbohydrates are possibly more important at this time to make sure blood glucose levels are topped up prior to training and to stimulate insulin-mediated protein synthesis post-training.