looking for a good diet to follow to gain muscle but keep fat off

mikethebeast

Awards
Hi i am looking for a diet to put on solid muscle mass but keep the fat off, I'm looking for a daily routine diet, I think i am more of an mesomorph type i have low body fat and have good muscle definition and mass but cant seem to gain any wieght.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Hi i am looking for a diet to put on solid muscle mass but keep the fat off, I'm looking for a daily routine diet, I think i am more of an mesomorph type i have low body fat and have good muscle definition and mass but cant seem to gain any wieght.
If you "can't seem to gain any weight", then you're not eating ENOUGH, period (especially as a mesomorph, since these body types can gain muscle mass VERY fast)!

Don't look for a "diet"; look for a LIFESTYLE plan (one that you follow all the time, and only change re calorie intake, depending on your goal).

Know also, that to gain muscle withOUT gaining fat requires STRICT diet manipulation. Gaining SOME fat is almost a given if you're looking to gain muscle mass (you may still stay relatively lean, but you WILL gain some), since to gain muscle you must be having an energy EXCESS (otherwise you're just maintaining or losing).

I recently wrote an article on the optimal macronutrient ratios for muscle growth. This is the conclusion:
To achieve muscle accretion one must have a positive energy balance (~15% above maintenance), a moderate to high carbohydrate intake (55-50% total daily energy) to fuel resistance sessions, optimal protein intake (25-30% total daily energy) to ensure protein synthesis, and an adequate fat intake (15-20% total daily energy) to prevent testosterone levels falling.
Other Tips on Diet (i.e. how it should be made up)

1. First, you need to work out what your MAINTENANCE calories are (There are various methods and equations that you can use to calculate this; most take into account current body mass, height, and activity level). Then, to gain muscle, you need to make sure that you’re having up to 500 calories MORE than maintenance. Depending on how fast or slow you gain muscle (and whether or not you gain fat along with it), you can adjust and tweak your calorie intake each week.
2. Eat every 2-3 hours after waking. This helps keep the metabolism going throughout the day, as well as keeping insulin levels stable.
3. EVERY meal should have complex carbohydrates [CHO] (i.e. kumara, rice, oats, etc.), QUALITY LEAN protein (chicken breast, fish, tuna, salmon, lean beef, egg whites, etc.), and FIBROUS CHO (i.e. vegetables, green ones in particular).
4. Drink 4.5 litres of water per day. This will help keep the system clean.
5. Don't avoid dairy; have at least TWO serves per day.
6. Do NOT avoid fat (The only fat you should be avoiding is Saturated fat and Trans fats). You NEED fat in your diet, as fat plays major roles in energy metabolism and other parts of your body (Wardlaw & Hampl, 2007). Make sure to have at least 30 grams of GOOD fats (i.e. flaxseeds or flaxseed oil, fish oils, peanut butter, nuts - especially almonds and walnuts, hempseed oil, olive oil, etc.) per day (i.e. this is ~2 tbsp of flaxseed oil or peanut butter).
8. Minimize adding salt to food. Instead, flavour a meal with herbs and spices (i.e. ginger, cumin, cayenne pepper, curry powder, chilli powder, and garlic all help thermogenesis a bit).
9. The only sugar needed on a regular basis is the NATURAL sugars found in food; these are mostly found in fruit. Too much sugar plays havoc with insulin levels and these should be as stable as possible throughout the day. The best time to be having sugar is straight AFTER a RESISTANCE workout, when the body is trying to replenish muscle glycogen stores (Burke, 2006).
10. A good guideline for carbohydrates is to have at least 1 gram of CHO per kg of body mass per day as a MINIMUM (Burke, 2006).
11. Eat most food as 'natural' as possible. This means fresh fruit and vegetables, meat, grains, etc. Try not to eat too much packaged food, as it is full of extra calories and sugar.
12. Most importantly, remember that it IS OK TO CHEAT, especially if you're trying to gain muscle.

Supplements should NOT be a big deal, as most muscle gains can be done through simply eating the right food at the right time. And unless everything that you’re doing is already done to ensure the maximum results in the timeframe that you want to achieve it in, and then supplementation should not be the focus. However, there ARE a few supplements that I think are important to any regime:

1. A multivitamin. (Although you should be eating as much of a variety of food as possible, in order to meet the RDI/AI of most nutrients from actual food).
2. Creatine monohydrate. Creatine helps the body to recover faster, as well as aiding in increasing strength levels and lean body mass [LBM].
3. Flaxseed/Hempseed/Fish Oil. This is the GOOD fats. Flaxseed or Hempseed oil is great with breakfast or in protein shakes.
4. Protein Powder. This just helps for the in-between meals, or after the gym, and to make sure that you get enough protein in (You should be having 1.2-1.7 grams of protein per pound of body mass per day).

Apart from these 4 ‘base’ supplements, you don’t need a lot (supplements are just a way for companies to make money. You can do everything without them!).