New cutting diet

mmzawa

mmzawa

Awards
How do you guys think this would do for a cutting diet...

8am- 10 egg whites / 1 yolk, veggies / 1 tb olive oil
11am- 2 cans tuna / veggies / 1/2 tb Olive oil
2pm- 8oz chicken breast / veggies / 1 tb olive oil
5pm- 50g protein shake
8pm- 8oz Tilapia / veggies / 1 tb Olive oil
9-12 - Workout
prebed- 50g protein shake

I dont use olive oil to cook it, i just put it on the meal.
Each time i say veggies i mean - 1/2 onion, 1/2 tomato, 1/2 cucumber, 1/4 celery, and maybe some carrots in there.
Goal im trying to lose like 2-4% bf for summer.

Wilderbeast

Wilderbeast

Awards
  • Established
This seems like a good diet. Is it a keto diet? If so, make sure your protein shakes don't have carbs AND DON'T use the olive oil on a cut if you don't have to. You are better off using 1 tbsp macademia nut oil, 1.5 tbsp all nat pb, or 1/3 cup RAW almonds. Most keto diet "gurus" I know of all state that using olive oil for your fat source will slow fat loss. And even if it is not a keto diet you are running, you are still better off with one of the above named fat sources over olive oil.

BEAST

mmzawa

mmzawa

Awards
This seems like a good diet. Is it a keto diet? If so, make sure your protein shakes don't have carbs AND DON'T use the olive oil on a cut if you don't have to. You are better off using 1 tbsp macademia nut oil, 1.5 tbsp all nat pb, or 1/3 cup RAW almonds. Most keto diet "gurus" I know of all state that using olive oil for your fat source will slow fat loss. And even if it is not a keto diet you are running, you are still better off with one of the above named fat sources over olive oil.

BEAST
I guess i'll switch the olive oil to something else.

UKStrength

BEAST
Why does the olive oil slow fat loss? :thinking:

Wilderbeast

Wilderbeast

Awards
  • Established
I honestly do not know the exact reasoning for olive oil slowing fat loss, but I just know that all of the diet " gurus' " diet advice says to limit olive oil to coating baking or frying pans with and to use other fat sources such as nat pb or raw nuts for your fats.

Wilderbeast

Wilderbeast

Awards
  • Established
I guess I am just neurotic and don't want to take the chance. You may be fine just using 1 tbsp of olive oil for your fat with each meal.

BEAST

UKStrength

I honestly do not know the exact reasoning for olive oil slowing fat loss, but I just know that all of the diet " gurus' " diet advice says to limit olive oil to coating baking or frying pans with and to use other fat sources such as nat pb or raw nuts for your fats.
If you can find an article, reference or website from one of these diet gurus that's be great mate :)

I'm only curious because typically olive oil is advocated in every ketogenic-based diets, mainly because they aren't as prone to oxidation as predominantly polyunsaturated sources such as nuts and seeds, and therefore particularly healthful.

Wilderbeast

Wilderbeast

Awards
  • Established
Honestly the only thing I can quickly dig up here was a forum post by Dave Palumbo, but he may be trying to promote macademia nut oil over olive oil bc he sells it. I'd have to look more to see if it was there or somewhere else that I heard this.

(From RX muscle forums)
DP: " .... What kind of whey are you using? Does it have carbs? Skippy PB has added sugar. EVOO will slow fat loss..."

BEAST

UKStrength

Honestly the only thing I can quickly dig up here was a forum post by Dave Palumbo, but he may be trying to promote macademia nut oil over olive oil bc he sells it. I'd have to look more to see if it was there or somewhere else that I heard this.

(From RX muscle forums)
DP: " .... What kind of whey are you using? Does it have carbs? Skippy PB has added sugar. EVOO will slow fat loss..."

BEAST
I'm just a little confused since i honestly can't think of a reason why olive oil would slow fat loss.

jagger81

Awards
I've come across studies that say that consuming xxx amount of evoo every day increases fat oxidation by ramping up metabolism. This is a quick search on google, but there are many more that go into greater detail on the exact mechanism.

I'm not able to post a hyperlink but just google "how extra virgin olive oil effects metabolism" and click on the fourth link down.

UKStrength

(From RX muscle forums)

BEAST
From the same forums it also says:

Why only extra virgin olive oil as opposed to regular olive oil??

DP - "Regular Olive Oil has been processed and, in doing so, has damaged the fragile monounsaturated fats in the Olive Oil. Olive Oil should be COLD PRESSED and stored in a dark container. When they bleach out the olive oil to give it a lighter color and less bitter taste, it destroys the healthy benefits."

I found nothing regarding EVOO slowing fat loss, all I have evidence for is the opposite:

Extra virgin olive oil increases uncoupling protein 1 content in brown adipose tissue and enhances noradrenaline and adrenaline secretions in rats. (Oi-Kano et al. 2007)

The effects of extra virgin olive oil (EV-olive oil) on triglyceride metabolism were investigated by measuring the degree of thermogenesis in interscapular brown adipose tissue (IBAT) and the rates of noradrenaline and adrenaline secretions in rats, both in vivo and in situ. In Experiment 1 (in vivo), rats were given an isoenergetic high-fat diet (30% fat diet) containing corn oil, refined olive oil, or EV-olive oil. After 28 days of feeding, the final body weight, weight gain, energy efficiency, perirenal adipose tissue and epididymal fat pad and plasma triglyceride concentrations were the lowest in the rats fed the EV-olive oil diet. The content of uncoupling protein 1 (UCP1) in IBAT and the rates of urinary noradrenaline and adrenaline excretions were the highest in the rats fed the EV-olive oil diet. In Experiment 2 (in situ), the effects of the extract of the phenolic fraction from EV-olive oil and a compound having excellent characteristics as components of EV-olive oil, hydroxytyrosol, on noradrenaline and adrenaline secretions were evaluated. The intravenous administration of the extract of the phenolic fraction from EV-olive oil significantly increased plasma noradrenaline and adrenaline concentrations, whereas that of hydroxytyrosol had no effect. These results suggest that phenols except hydroxytyrosol in EV-olive oil enhance thermogenesis by increasing the UCP1 content in IBAT and enhancing noradrenaline and adrenaline secretions in rats.

I guess EVOO is back on the menu in my house :)

ilkyspony

ilkyspony

Awards
few questions....

will you use that same meal plan for the extent of your cut?
how many calories is that meal plan?
is recommended to do this keto style cut for anyone?
do calories matter in a keto style cutting diet?