I find it hard to intake enough protein.

crpav

crpav

Awards
  • Established
I finally put my mind to losing the excess weight I put on over the past years. It really helps to count calories even though it sucks. My problem is getting in enough protein. I always have way more carbs then I want. I know I just need to keep fine tuning the diet but it's hard when the wife is against me getting protein powder and supplements in general.

UKStrength

I finally put my mind to losing the excess weight I put on over the past years. It really helps to count calories even though it sucks. My problem is getting in enough protein. I always have way more carbs then I want. I know I just need to keep fine tuning the diet but it's hard when the wife is against me getting protein powder and supplements in general.
When you say 'getting enough protein' have you calculated how much you're taking in on average per day?

What's your wife's reasoning for not letting you have supplements? Cost?

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I no longer consider Protein powder a supp - it's a food. If white flour is a food even though it has practically no nutritional benefits, then definitely WPI can be considered one too. After all, it's a good source of calcium, protein and even has anti-oxidant effects through increasing intra-cellular glutathione levels.

If you can get no other "supplement", get some Whey Powder.

UKStrength

I no longer consider Protein powder a supp - it's a food. If white flour is a food even though it has practically no nutritional benefits, then definitely WPI can be considered one too. After all, it's a good source of calcium, protein and even has anti-oxidant effects through increasing intra-cellular glutathione levels.

If you can get no other "supplement", get some Whey Powder.
I agree, get the ADA to add Whey Protein to the next version of 'My Pyramid' ;)

crpav

crpav

Awards
  • Established
When you say 'getting enough protein' have you calculated how much you're taking in on average per day?

What's your wife's reasoning for not letting you have supplements? Cost?

I have been tracking my intake the past week and I get between 55 and 65 grams a day but this is due to me starting low and working my way up each day. I am on a cut right now but am working on getting my calories in the range I need to not lose too much muscle.

Anyway, my carbs still more then double my protein. Like I said, I will just have to keep tuning it. As for the wife, she has negative opinions on supplements thinking they are not needed. The cost is another side of it as well. FRUGAL!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have been tracking my intake the past week and I get between 55 and 65 grams a day but this is due to me starting low and working my way up each day. I am on a cut right now but am working on getting my calories in the range I need to not lose too much muscle.

Anyway, my carbs still more then double my protein. Like I said, I will just have to keep tuning it. As for the wife, she has negative opinions on supplements thinking they are not needed. The cost is another side of it as well. FRUGAL!
Seriously, WTF!? That's about 10 oz of chicken per day.

crpav

crpav

Awards
  • Established
Seriously, WTF!? That's about 10 oz of chicken per day.
Okay, no need to rip a guy. I see I am more at fault as I can easily get more protein by eating chicken and more tuna.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Okay, no need to rip a guy. I see I am more at fault as I can easily get more protein by eating chicken and more tuna.
I'm just saying that the amount you listed is very,very small. How many meals per day to you have?

crpav

crpav

Awards
  • Established
I'm just saying that the amount you listed is very,very small. How many meals per day to you have?
3 to 4 but that amount of protein is just this week. I usually eat way more overall but started to cut the calories way down on Monday because I need to lose weight.

The reason for this thread was/is that I started documenting my food intake to see how many calories I consume and also what % came from fat, carbs and protien. I just am shcoked that my carb intake is still so high compared to protein.

I better just bake some chicken each weekend and have that in the fridge to eat during the week. I can also add more tuna and protein powder even if the wife gets mad.

UKStrength

3 to 4 but that amount of protein is just this week. I usually eat way more overall but started to cut the calories way down on Monday because I need to lose weight.

The reason for this thread was/is that I started documenting my food intake to see how many calories I consume and also what % came from fat, carbs and protien. I just am shcoked that my carb intake is still so high compared to protein.

I better just bake some chicken each weekend and have that in the fridge to eat during the week. I can also add more tuna and protein powder even if the wife gets mad.
If you're cutting I'd definitely increase your protein intake, it'll help spare lean tissue as your drop fat. At least 1 gram per lb of lean bodyweight and keep this up throughout your cut.

I'd look into cheaper sources if possible, it's not worth upsetting your wife over some whey if she feels that strongly about it, although whey is pretty cheap so cost shouldn't really be an issue (compared to chicken, beef, tuna etc.).

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah, whey is way cheaper per g of protein than most meat if you know where to get it. ATW, TrueProtein, Diabolic Labs, LG Sciences - all of 'em are having great deals on protein right now.

gregthi

Awards
You should really think about supplementing a protein shake or 2 into your day. Mix some fruit like bananas and strawberries to add to the taste. Other than that maybe add some more lean meats like chicken and turkey. Eat some spinach and mushrooms to add some protein from veggie sources.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
buy protien with cash keep it in at work? or in ur trunk and drink one on ur way to work... drink one after the gym... and then eat u should have enough im sure u can sneak em from the wife if u take em goin to work and att the gym.

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
get some whey protein down ya. 55-65 is really low. some days i'll eat 8 chicken breasts easy! just cook them up and off ya go!

airram479

Awards
  • Established
If you have the stomach to eat all that solid food,more power to ya'. What i do is eat three solid meals a day,then three shakes,that way i am getting the protein i need.Not to rub it in,but the other guy's are right,you need PROTEIN Bro. Load up.

PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy

Awards
  • Established
I agree, get the ADA to add Whey Protein to the next version of 'My Pyramid'
In one of my nutrition textbooks this year, [sarcasm] which was full of unbiased views on supplement efficacy [/sarcasm], I found one of my all-time favorite quotes.

"Protein supplements are not necessary for an athlete or a normal individual... *blah blah blah* ...put unnecessary work on the kidneys and and if an individual still thinks they need more whey in their diet they should try consuming more milk, which contains over 2 grams per serving."

crpav

crpav

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I hear you all. I convinced my wife on the importance of protein. Problem is finding a good protein for an affordable price. I want allthewhey but it's never in stock at nutraplanet. I may go with the Isolate. Pricier but offers more grams of protein then the blend.

GymRat7197

GymRat7197

Awards
  • Established
Force feeding yourself is a warm welcome into the sport; however, consuming too much protein isn't necessary. If you're consuming more than 1g typically per lb. of bodyweight, then you really won't gain much more than someone using 1.2-1.4g per kg of their own bodyweight.