Milk+Casein before bed?

R

redrocket399

Awards
  • Established
is there any benefits in mixing my nighttime casein with skimmilk before bed?
Milk makes my drink delicious but im afraid the carbs might effect gh secretion during sleep. has anyone ever heard of that?
Whats your guys thoughts?

Thanks guys

ambulldog

ambulldog

Awards
  • Established
2 scoops casein, 1 tbsp natty pb in water for me right before bed

R

redrocket399

Awards
  • Established
that sounds good!!!
could you tell me the benefit in taking in fat with a bedtime shake?
i currently take 2g of CLA but natty PB sounds good too!

A

AllMaxBrian

Awards
Peanut Butter adds more calories if you need them and is delicious. It also provides essential fatty acids.

kingjmack

kingjmack

Awards
For me its 1 scoop casein with 1 cup warm skim milk.

majinbijiita

majinbijiita

Awards

I do the same but with 1 scoop and with skim milk.

OP, I didn't even think about your point about the carbs...I am going to try it with water tonight...let's see if I can stand the taste.

Edit: Actually, I did try it with 1/2 milk 1/2 water last time and it was pretty good, so you could try that to cut down on carbs without sacrificing to much taste.

Edit #2: Just tried it, it's pretty good! I'll be doing this from now on I think. YMMV though...I use ON 100% Casein from Nutraplanet.

R

Rah22491

Awards
that sounds good!!!
could you tell me the benefit in taking in fat with a bedtime shake?
i currently take 2g of CLA but natty PB sounds good too!
someone correct me if im wrong but i believe the fat intake will helps slow down the digestion of the protein some.

U

UKStrength

is there any benefits in mixing my nighttime casein with skimmilk before bed?
Milk makes my drink delicious but im afraid the carbs might effect gh secretion during sleep. has anyone ever heard of that?
Whats your guys thoughts?

Thanks guys
I have certainly heard and read about this, it makes sense from a physiological point of view (insulin blunts GH release) but the presence of amino acids (from protein in the meal) will also stimulate insulin release, so you can't really avoid it.

I think the main point is control over insulin, don't go mad with the carbs at night and send it skyrocketing, but don't worry about a few grams from your milk.

Perhaps switch to a low carb milk, eat eggs, meat or some other protein source and some vegetables or have cottage cheese instead?

someone correct me if im wrong but i believe the fat intake will helps slow down the digestion of the protein some.
You're quite right, the presence of fat in the gut slows gastric emptying time. Soluble fibre also has this effect on the gut.