Your pre workout meal - AnabolicMinds.com

Your pre workout meal

  1. Professional Member
    Chub's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  183 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Age
    27
    Posts
    3,298
    Rep Power
    49681

    Reputation

    Your pre workout meal


    Hey guys, just curious to what kinda food you eat before you workout. At the moment i'll usually have say some oats 45-1hour pre workout and a protein shake. other times if i'm real hungry i'll have a big meal, sweet potatoes, turkey etc. What do you find best for energy?

    ta
    “We are what we repeatedly do. Therefore, excellence is not an act, but a habit.”

  2. Elite Member
    Kristofer68SS's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    42
    Posts
    5,600
    Rep Power
    13731

    Reputation

    3/4 cup each-chicken and brown rice about an hour b4
  3. Registered User
    Iron Warrior's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    5,328
    Rep Power
    13067

    Reputation

    1 cup of oats, 1 banana, 2 scoops of whey, 2 cups of water, 4 ice cubes. Blend and enjoy.
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    The Myth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    30
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    eggs/meat + stir fry veggies, tuna salad, or chicken/beef salad
  5. UKStrength
    Guest
    UKStrength's Avatar

    It depends mate, somtimes it's just a protein shake and some porridge oats...

    ...other times it's the pre-workout meal of champions, the SUNDAY ROAST!

  6. Senior Member
    brownstown89's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,029
    Rep Power
    1091

    Reputation

    grilled chicken and pasta with veggies, or protien shake with EVOO, frozen strawberries, oats...

    sunday i go with taco bell.. Frutista feeze, Crunch Wrap and a chicken casdilla thats 2-3 hours b4 lifting and then go home and take my supps and hit the gym
  7. New Member
    MoTiV's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  178 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    415
    Rep Power
    287

    Reputation

    i workout after meal#1 so 40-70g oats; 2 servings egg whites; 1 scoop of whey; 2 cups of milk
  8. New Member
    hadijd's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  183 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    82
    Rep Power
    110

    Reputation

    Before I work legs.

    1 cup egg beaters
    1 cup Multi Grain Oatmeal
    1 Medium Banana
    1/4 cup chopped Walnuts
    1 cup strawberries

    Wait about 1 and 1/2 to 2 hours before gym time.
  9. New Member
    R6AAC's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    79
    Rep Power
    107

    Reputation

    i heard throwing raw oats in the blender w your protein is bad for you. is that bs true?
  10. Professional Member
    Chub's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  183 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Age
    27
    Posts
    3,298
    Rep Power
    49681

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by R6AAC View Post
    i heard throwing raw oats in the blender w your protein is bad for you. is that bs true?
    bull ****!
    “We are what we repeatedly do. Therefore, excellence is not an act, but a habit.”
  11. New Member
    carnivalhobo's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    99
    Rep Power
    172

    Reputation

    I lifted after breakfast today, so:

    1cup oats
    1 scoop chocolate isolate
    2tbsp natty PB
  12. UKStrength
    Guest
    UKStrength's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by R6AAC View Post
    i heard throwing raw oats in the blender w your protein is bad for you. is that bs true?
    I've never heard such tripe in all my life!
  13. New Member
    R6AAC's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    79
    Rep Power
    107

    Reputation

    this guy at the gym asked me what my diet consist of and i mentioned that i eat a 1 cup of oatmeal in the morning and half a cup with my protein pre w/o. First thing he said was raw oats is bad for you. i got in a lil argument w him about it!
  14. New Member
    pinchharmonic's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  163 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    282
    Rep Power
    214

    Reputation

    oats seem to be the best for me. I try to do a slow digesting carb, and a faster digesting protein... so oats and whey is my most common meal.

    pre-workout is also one of the meals I do not include any additional fats aside from those existing in the protein or the oats.

    i would do veggies, but I try to maximize my protein/carbs with as little food volume as possible, so I feel light walking into the gym. I eat my meal, then 30-50 minutes take my pre-workout arginine, gaba, creatine, aminos, beta alanine, and workout about 20 minutes after that.
  15. New Member
    sportsbro21's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    486
    Rep Power
    326

    Reputation

    too many complex carbs pre work out! you can't utilize them that soon.

    eat a small chicken breast or 40 g whey shake, with a green apple or gatorade, and some BCAAs

    thats all you need pre work out.

    oats are perfect with breakfast but you don't need them per w/o
  16. Banned
    p00ndawg's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    539
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    Im cutting right now so usually its not much. If anything its a protein shake since the whey digests quickly.
  17. New Member
    R6AAC's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    79
    Rep Power
    107

    Reputation

    i eat 2 small chicken breast 20 grams of protein each then 30-45 mins later i take my anabolic pump then 20 mins later i take my protein 2 scoops 40 grams protein, w half a cup of oats and 1 banana. i wait about 20-25 mins and then take my creatine. what do you guys think? is that pre w/o mix ok?
  18. New Member
    sportsbro21's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    486
    Rep Power
    326

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by R6AAC View Post
    i eat 2 small chicken breast 20 grams of protein each then 30-45 mins later i take my anabolic pump then 20 mins later i take my protein 2 scoops 40 grams protein, w half a cup of oats and 1 banana. i wait about 20-25 mins and then take my creatine. what do you guys think? is that pre w/o mix ok?
    eat a small potato with your chicken breast, and dont eat the oats. and id do some bcaa's with your creatine.
    your body wont be able to get the full benefit of the complex carbs (like oats) that close before your work out. you need fast digesting carbs, before and after your work out
  19. Elite Member
    Kristofer68SS's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    42
    Posts
    5,600
    Rep Power
    13731

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by sportsbro21 View Post
    eat a small potato with your chicken breast, and dont eat the oats. and id do some bcaa's with your creatine.
    your body wont be able to get the full benefit of the complex carbs (like oats) that close before your work out. you need fast digesting carbs, before and after your work out
    To each his own, however-

    IMO, Oats will be just fine before and after........

    Quoted from bpmartyr

    "The thing I don't get is why I would maintain a good, strict, healthy diet and right when my body goes through a stressfull workout slam a bunch of simple sugar? If it's not good for you any other part of the day why drink it PWO? Just sayin "

    Plagerized from the net as well-

    "Exercise, especially resistance training, has been shown to increase GLUT-4
    translocation on skeletal muscle in the absence of insulin, meaning after your lift weights
    you do not need insulin for your muscles to uptake glucose. While insulin will certainly
    enhance the anabolic response of a meal post workout, slamming 100 grams of dextrose
    (pure glucose) is not needed since skeletal muscle is already able to uptake glucose in the
    absence of insulin after a workout. Increasing the glucose content of skeletal muscle (in
    the form of glycogen) is beneficial for gaining muscle, but remember that GLUT-4
    transporters also exist on fat cells and therefore insulin secretion promotes the storage of
    glucose in both skeletal muscle and fat cells.

    Therefore, one needs to increase the storage
    of glucose in skeletal muscle and decrease the storage of glucose in fat cells; this can be
    done by consuming low glycemic carbohydrates such as oatmeal post-workout instead of
    high glycemic carbs like dextrose.


    In summary, it is not necessary to jack blood glucose and insulin levels through
    the roof in order to replenish glycogen and gain muscle. Skeletal muscle is able to uptake
    glucose whenever it needs it. In addition, skeletal muscle is primed to uptake glucose
    after exercise. By controlling your insulin levels you can gain lean mass while keeping
    fat gains to a minimum.
    Taken from Bulking For Endomorphs."
  20. New Member
    R6AAC's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    79
    Rep Power
    107

    Reputation

    i guess everyone carbs up differently. do u eat a sweet potato or regular one?
  21. New Member
    Irish Pilot's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    110
    Rep Power
    124

    Reputation

    When I go back to trying to add weight, it will be oats, whey, blueberries, and maybe some PB. Right now my usual early morning meal is refrigerated sludge (whey, natty pb, & water). I could eat that stuff by the pound!
  22. Professional Member
    Chub's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  183 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Age
    27
    Posts
    3,298
    Rep Power
    49681

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by pinchharmonic View Post

    i would do veggies, but I try to maximize my protein/carbs with as little food volume as possible, so I feel light walking into the gym. I eat my meal, then 30-50 minutes take my pre-workout arginine, gaba, creatine, aminos, beta alanine, and workout about 20 minutes after that.
    gaba before a workout?

    I thought gaba was for pre bed to relax you no?
    “We are what we repeatedly do. Therefore, excellence is not an act, but a habit.”
  23. Banned
    jakellpet's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  213 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,533
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    I'm bulking - wake up for a 12:30 feast then sleep till 3.30 for workout:

    1 cup oats
    250ml whole milk
    40g whey (casein/isolate)
    5g glut
    5g mono
    2 tbp natty PB

    Oats are already soaking from bedtime, just add other ingredients in shaker then mix in with oats.

    I can generally eat all this, take a piss and fart, be back to sleep in 15min max.
  24. Banned
    crazyfool405's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    7,431
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Chub View Post
    Hey guys, just curious to what kinda food you eat before you workout. At the moment i'll usually have say some oats 45-1hour pre workout and a protein shake. other times if i'm real hungry i'll have a big meal, sweet potatoes, turkey etc. What do you find best for energy?

    ta
    best ever here it is...

    1 box weight control maple brown sugar oatmeal
    1 box cream of wheat maple brown sugar

    ground them up together.

    thats step 1

    step 2 is grab a 70cc scooper and scoop out a level scoop of it into a bowl of boiling hot water.

    step 3 mix in 2 table spoons almond butter (make sure its still watery)

    step 4 mix in 2 scoops isolyze (vanilla only)

    step 5 ENJOY

    dont forget to take 2 glycobols with first bite
  25. Banned
    crazyfool405's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    7,431
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Kristofer68SS View Post
    To each his own, however-

    IMO, Oats will be just fine before and after........

    Quoted from bpmartyr

    "The thing I don't get is why I would maintain a good, strict, healthy diet and right when my body goes through a stressfull workout slam a bunch of simple sugar? If it's not good for you any other part of the day why drink it PWO? Just sayin "

    Plagerized from the net as well-

    "Exercise, especially resistance training, has been shown to increase GLUT-4
    translocation on skeletal muscle in the absence of insulin, meaning after your lift weights
    you do not need insulin for your muscles to uptake glucose. While insulin will certainly
    enhance the anabolic response of a meal post workout, slamming 100 grams of dextrose
    (pure glucose) is not needed since skeletal muscle is already able to uptake glucose in the
    absence of insulin after a workout. Increasing the glucose content of skeletal muscle (in
    the form of glycogen) is beneficial for gaining muscle, but remember that GLUT-4
    transporters also exist on fat cells and therefore insulin secretion promotes the storage of
    glucose in both skeletal muscle and fat cells.

    Therefore, one needs to increase the storage
    of glucose in skeletal muscle and decrease the storage of glucose in fat cells; this can be
    done by consuming low glycemic carbohydrates such as oatmeal post-workout instead of
    high glycemic carbs like dextrose.


    In summary, it is not necessary to jack blood glucose and insulin levels through
    the roof in order to replenish glycogen and gain muscle. Skeletal muscle is able to uptake
    glucose whenever it needs it. In addition, skeletal muscle is primed to uptake glucose
    after exercise. By controlling your insulin levels you can gain lean mass while keeping
    fat gains to a minimum.
    Taken from Bulking For Endomorphs."
    exactly why i love glycobol
  26. Elite Member
    Kristofer68SS's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    42
    Posts
    5,600
    Rep Power
    13731

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by crazyfool405 View Post
    exactly why i love glycobol
    me2...........
  27. New Member
    ken25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Age
    32
    Posts
    59
    Rep Power
    127

    Reputation

    Three egg white omelet with turkey meat, mushrooms, onion, green and red pepper topped with salsa and mixed with hash browns. Two slices of double fiber french toast with lite syrup, few strawberries, some v8 splash, and a lite yogurt. Every day, yum.
  28. Senior Member
    msucurt's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,514
    Rep Power
    1796

    Reputation

    how is that glycobol working for ya? Effects? Noticeable?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kristofer68SS View Post
    me2...........
  29. Elite Member
    Kristofer68SS's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    42
    Posts
    5,600
    Rep Power
    13731

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by msucurt View Post
    how is that glycobol working for ya? Effects? Noticeable?
    great, yes and yes.

    see log.
  30. New Member
    JeremyT's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  160 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    94
    Rep Power
    131

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by ken25 View Post
    Three egg white omelet with turkey meat, mushrooms, onion, green and red pepper topped with salsa and mixed with hash browns. Two slices of double fiber french toast with lite syrup, few strawberries, some v8 splash, and a lite yogurt. Every day, yum.
    Holy **** that sounds amazing.
  31. New Member
    Yellow's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    284
    Rep Power
    230

    Reputation

    1 cup of oats + 1 scoop of whey + 8 egg whites + 2 whole eggs about 2 Hours before Workout.
    It works best for me.
  32. New Member
    indacut's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    67

    Reputation

    1/2 cup oats, 1/2 cup cheerio, 2 scoopys whey.

    1 hour prior to work out. I weight lift in the morning so I eat almost all my carbs for the day pre and post.
  33. New Member
    blueboy22's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  201 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    298
    Rep Power
    228

    Reputation

    2 whole eggs, 3 egg whites, cheese

    1 cup oatmeal
  34. Advanced Member
    Random181's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  0 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    674
    Rep Power
    409

    Reputation

    1 hour before workout- 3 bowls porridge + chicken breast= 50g protein +90g carbs
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. What is your pre workout meal?
    By R1balla in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 04-16-2011, 08:49 PM
  2. Pre Workout Meal - Fat or No Fat?
    By hockeyroom28 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-28-2010, 12:57 AM
  3. Pre workout meal
    By vette00 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-05-2010, 03:01 PM
  4. Workout and Meal Help
    By skinnyBAR10dr in forum Bulking
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-19-2008, 03:46 PM
  5. pre workout meal
    By Farmboy in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-13-2006, 05:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in