Your pre workout meal

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys, just curious to what kinda food you eat before you workout. At the moment i'll usually have say some oats 45-1hour pre workout and a protein shake. other times if i'm real hungry i'll have a big meal, sweet potatoes, turkey etc. What do you find best for energy?

ta :wave2:

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
3/4 cup each-chicken and brown rice about an hour b4

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
1 cup of oats, 1 banana, 2 scoops of whey, 2 cups of water, 4 ice cubes. Blend and enjoy.

The Myth

eggs/meat + stir fry veggies, tuna salad, or chicken/beef salad

UKStrength

It depends mate, somtimes it's just a protein shake and some porridge oats...

...other times it's the pre-workout meal of champions, the SUNDAY ROAST! :)

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
grilled chicken and pasta with veggies, or protien shake with EVOO, frozen strawberries, oats...

sunday i go with taco bell.. Frutista feeze, Crunch Wrap and a chicken casdilla thats 2-3 hours b4 lifting and then go home and take my supps and hit the gym

MoTiV

Awards
  • Established
i workout after meal#1 so 40-70g oats; 2 servings egg whites; 1 scoop of whey; 2 cups of milk

hadijd

hadijd

Awards
Before I work legs.

1 cup egg beaters
1 cup Multi Grain Oatmeal
1 Medium Banana
1/4 cup chopped Walnuts
1 cup strawberries

Wait about 1 and 1/2 to 2 hours before gym time.

R6AAC

Awards
i heard throwing raw oats in the blender w your protein is bad for you. is that bs true?

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established

carnivalhobo

Awards
I lifted after breakfast today, so:

1cup oats
1 scoop chocolate isolate
2tbsp natty PB

R6AAC

Awards
this guy at the gym asked me what my diet consist of and i mentioned that i eat a 1 cup of oatmeal in the morning and half a cup with my protein pre w/o. First thing he said was raw oats is bad for you. i got in a lil argument w him about it!

pinchharmonic

pinchharmonic

Awards
  • Established
oats seem to be the best for me. I try to do a slow digesting carb, and a faster digesting protein... so oats and whey is my most common meal.

pre-workout is also one of the meals I do not include any additional fats aside from those existing in the protein or the oats.

i would do veggies, but I try to maximize my protein/carbs with as little food volume as possible, so I feel light walking into the gym. I eat my meal, then 30-50 minutes take my pre-workout arginine, gaba, creatine, aminos, beta alanine, and workout about 20 minutes after that.

sportsbro21

sportsbro21

Awards
  • Established
too many complex carbs pre work out! you can't utilize them that soon.

eat a small chicken breast or 40 g whey shake, with a green apple or gatorade, and some BCAAs

thats all you need pre work out.

oats are perfect with breakfast but you don't need them per w/o

p00ndawg

p00ndawg

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Im cutting right now so usually its not much. If anything its a protein shake since the whey digests quickly.

R6AAC

Awards
i eat 2 small chicken breast 20 grams of protein each then 30-45 mins later i take my anabolic pump then 20 mins later i take my protein 2 scoops 40 grams protein, w half a cup of oats and 1 banana. i wait about 20-25 mins and then take my creatine. what do you guys think? is that pre w/o mix ok?

sportsbro21

sportsbro21

Awards
  • Established
i eat 2 small chicken breast 20 grams of protein each then 30-45 mins later i take my anabolic pump then 20 mins later i take my protein 2 scoops 40 grams protein, w half a cup of oats and 1 banana. i wait about 20-25 mins and then take my creatine. what do you guys think? is that pre w/o mix ok?
eat a small potato with your chicken breast, and dont eat the oats. and id do some bcaa's with your creatine.
your body wont be able to get the full benefit of the complex carbs (like oats) that close before your work out. you need fast digesting carbs, before and after your work out

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
eat a small potato with your chicken breast, and dont eat the oats. and id do some bcaa's with your creatine.
your body wont be able to get the full benefit of the complex carbs (like oats) that close before your work out. you need fast digesting carbs, before and after your work out
To each his own, however-

IMO, Oats will be just fine before and after........

Quoted from bpmartyr

"The thing I don't get is why I would maintain a good, strict, healthy diet and right when my body goes through a stressfull workout slam a bunch of simple sugar? If it's not good for you any other part of the day why drink it PWO? Just sayin "

Plagerized from the net as well-

"Exercise, especially resistance training, has been shown to increase GLUT-4
translocation on skeletal muscle in the absence of insulin, meaning after your lift weights
you do not need insulin for your muscles to uptake glucose. While insulin will certainly
enhance the anabolic response of a meal post workout, slamming 100 grams of dextrose
(pure glucose) is not needed since skeletal muscle is already able to uptake glucose in the
absence of insulin after a workout. Increasing the glucose content of skeletal muscle (in
the form of glycogen) is beneficial for gaining muscle, but remember that GLUT-4
transporters also exist on fat cells and therefore insulin secretion promotes the storage of
glucose in both skeletal muscle and fat cells.

Therefore, one needs to increase the storage
of glucose in skeletal muscle and decrease the storage of glucose in fat cells; this can be
done by consuming low glycemic carbohydrates such as oatmeal post-workout instead of
high glycemic carbs like dextrose.

In summary, it is not necessary to jack blood glucose and insulin levels through
the roof in order to replenish glycogen and gain muscle. Skeletal muscle is able to uptake
glucose whenever it needs it. In addition, skeletal muscle is primed to uptake glucose
after exercise. By controlling your insulin levels you can gain lean mass while keeping
fat gains to a minimum.
Taken from Bulking For Endomorphs."

R6AAC

Awards
i guess everyone carbs up differently. do u eat a sweet potato or regular one?

Irish Pilot

Irish Pilot

Awards
When I go back to trying to add weight, it will be oats, whey, blueberries, and maybe some PB. Right now my usual early morning meal is refrigerated sludge (whey, natty pb, & water). I could eat that stuff by the pound!

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
i would do veggies, but I try to maximize my protein/carbs with as little food volume as possible, so I feel light walking into the gym. I eat my meal, then 30-50 minutes take my pre-workout arginine, gaba, creatine, aminos, beta alanine, and workout about 20 minutes after that.
gaba before a workout?

I thought gaba was for pre bed to relax you no?

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'm bulking - wake up for a 12:30 feast then sleep till 3.30 for workout:

1 cup oats
250ml whole milk
40g whey (casein/isolate)
5g glut
5g mono
2 tbp natty PB

Oats are already soaking from bedtime, just add other ingredients in shaker then mix in with oats.

I can generally eat all this, take a piss and fart, be back to sleep in 15min max.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Hey guys, just curious to what kinda food you eat before you workout. At the moment i'll usually have say some oats 45-1hour pre workout and a protein shake. other times if i'm real hungry i'll have a big meal, sweet potatoes, turkey etc. What do you find best for energy?

ta :wave2:
best ever here it is...

1 box weight control maple brown sugar oatmeal
1 box cream of wheat maple brown sugar

ground them up together.

thats step 1

step 2 is grab a 70cc scooper and scoop out a level scoop of it into a bowl of boiling hot water.

step 3 mix in 2 table spoons almond butter (make sure its still watery)

step 4 mix in 2 scoops isolyze (vanilla only)

step 5 ENJOY

dont forget to take 2 glycobols with first bite

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
To each his own, however-

IMO, Oats will be just fine before and after........

Quoted from bpmartyr

"The thing I don't get is why I would maintain a good, strict, healthy diet and right when my body goes through a stressfull workout slam a bunch of simple sugar? If it's not good for you any other part of the day why drink it PWO? Just sayin "

Plagerized from the net as well-

"Exercise, especially resistance training, has been shown to increase GLUT-4
translocation on skeletal muscle in the absence of insulin, meaning after your lift weights
you do not need insulin for your muscles to uptake glucose. While insulin will certainly
enhance the anabolic response of a meal post workout, slamming 100 grams of dextrose
(pure glucose) is not needed since skeletal muscle is already able to uptake glucose in the
absence of insulin after a workout. Increasing the glucose content of skeletal muscle (in
the form of glycogen) is beneficial for gaining muscle, but remember that GLUT-4
transporters also exist on fat cells and therefore insulin secretion promotes the storage of
glucose in both skeletal muscle and fat cells.

Therefore, one needs to increase the storage
of glucose in skeletal muscle and decrease the storage of glucose in fat cells; this can be
done by consuming low glycemic carbohydrates such as oatmeal post-workout instead of
high glycemic carbs like dextrose.

In summary, it is not necessary to jack blood glucose and insulin levels through
the roof in order to replenish glycogen and gain muscle. Skeletal muscle is able to uptake
glucose whenever it needs it. In addition, skeletal muscle is primed to uptake glucose
after exercise. By controlling your insulin levels you can gain lean mass while keeping
fat gains to a minimum.
Taken from Bulking For Endomorphs."
exactly why i love glycobol :)

ken25

ken25

Awards
Three egg white omelet with turkey meat, mushrooms, onion, green and red pepper topped with salsa and mixed with hash browns. Two slices of double fiber french toast with lite syrup, few strawberries, some v8 splash, and a lite yogurt. Every day, yum.

JeremyT

Awards
Three egg white omelet with turkey meat, mushrooms, onion, green and red pepper topped with salsa and mixed with hash browns. Two slices of double fiber french toast with lite syrup, few strawberries, some v8 splash, and a lite yogurt. Every day, yum.
Holy **** that sounds amazing.

Yellow

Yellow

Awards
  • Established
1 cup of oats + 1 scoop of whey + 8 egg whites + 2 whole eggs about 2 Hours before Workout.
It works best for me.

indacut

Awards
1/2 cup oats, 1/2 cup cheerio, 2 scoopys whey.

1 hour prior to work out. I weight lift in the morning so I eat almost all my carbs for the day pre and post.

Random181

Awards
  • Established
1 hour before workout- 3 bowls porridge + chicken breast= 50g protein +90g carbs