How often to take Omega-3 capsules? - AnabolicMinds.com

How often to take Omega-3 capsules?

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  135 lbs.

How often to take Omega-3 capsules?

I've heard ranges from 5g-30g a day. I just bought the omega 3 1000caps from nutra.

I only weigh 130 pounds, and I'm not looking to get too crazy with the dosage...but I do want to see the benefits ASAP.

Do you think following the directions, 2 caps 3x a day would be a good start? Is that unneccesarily high? Or should I take more than that?

Any help would be great. Thanks! (I'm excited, hopefully the wonders of omega-3's will do me right...)

EDIT: Crap I shoulda put this in the supplement forum. Sorry!

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  150 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

Do you think following the directions, 2 caps 3x a day would be a good start? Is that unneccesarily high? Or should I take more than that?
    From what I've seen that would be on the low end for fish oil dosing. Somewhere on this forum there is a Charles Poliquin Fish Oil Megadosing thread, right now i'm too lazy to find the link to it, but go check that out.

And if you're interested in higher dosages of fish oil its going to be more economical to switch to cod liver oil, much much more bang for your buck.
  3. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  170 lbs.

Lately I've only been doing 2 caps twice a day. I think I liked 3 caps 3 times a day or 2 caps 4 times a day much better.
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  150 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

Lately I've only been doing 2 caps twice a day. I think I liked 3 caps 3 times a day or 2 caps 4 times a day much better.
    I had a bottle of fish oil that I wanted to get rid of and I had had it for awhile and was dosing about 30+ grams a day for about a week and had no ill effects
  5. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  170 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by PublicEnemy View Post
    I had a bottle of fish oil that I wanted to get rid of and I had had it for awhile and was dosing about 30+ grams a day for about a week and had no ill effects
    Did you ever cut yourself, lol.
  6. UKStrength

A total of 2-3g of EPA and DHA combined would be optimal for most individuals.

Try spreading the dosages out over your main meals and avoid taking it during the period immediately post-exercise.
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  150 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

Did you ever cut yourself, lol.
    I'm so cut I used a box of bandaids covering myself
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  135 lbs.

Why avoid immediately PWO?

And yes the whole 30+grams a day is too much for me I think. The most I'd go is 10grams a day right now. I don't need to "mega-dose" anything. That just sounds like a good way to waste money or have some sort of side-effects though I guess Public Enemy would say differently.

The fish-burps aren't too bad...so that's good cuz I was a little worried about that.
  9. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  206.8 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by PublicEnemy View Post

no ill effects? thats great!...but did you feel or see anything that improved because of taking that much?
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  150 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

That just sounds like a good way to waste money or have some sort of side-effects though I guess Public Enemy would say differently.
    Eh fish oil caps are a waste of money anyways if you are going for omega-3's, fish oil in liquid form is going to be the most economical (although i wouldn't say tasty).

no ill effects? thats great!...but did you feel or see anything that improved because of taking that much?
    I didn't see any ill side effects that I noted. I've read a few things about high dose fish oil and figured I'd kill off the (Sam's club) bottle in the name of experimentation. Maybe a week wasn't a long enough time, but i didn't notice anything pronounced. My concentration and mood was up slightly but definitely not worth excessive amounts of fish oil.
  11. UKStrength

Quote Originally Posted by majinbijiita View Post
    Why avoid immediately PWO?
    The effects of omega-3s are anti-inflammatory.

To get the full benefit of the adaptations ('training effect') from your training and therefore muscle hypertrophy, you don't want to suppress this effect at this time, just replenish muscle glycogen and stimulate protein synthesis with your post-workout shake.

Take the omega-3s with the rest of your meals but not immediately around training.
  12. 1HP

Supposedly you need to balance your omega-3 intake with your omega-6 intake in a 1:3 or 1:4 ratio.

I input all my foods at nutritiondata.com which has the omega-3 and omega-6 content listed for almost all foods and add fishoil to obtain that balance. Most diets are omega-6 dominant. It comes out to 6 fishoil caps a day for me supplying 1.8 gr omega-3 but I eat a lot of omega-6 heavy nuts.

There is a thread somehwere on mindandmuscle discussing the negative effects on health of excessive omega-3 compared to omega-6 intake.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Omega-3 (1000 capsules)
    By Chub in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-18-2008, 12:51 PM
  2. ETA on NutraPlanet Omega-3 (1000 capsules) restock?
    By BigBody in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-14-2008, 04:25 PM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-07-2008, 07:57 PM