How often to take Omega-3 capsules?

majinbijiita

majinbijiita

Awards
I've heard ranges from 5g-30g a day. I just bought the omega 3 1000caps from nutra.

I only weigh 130 pounds, and I'm not looking to get too crazy with the dosage...but I do want to see the benefits ASAP.

Do you think following the directions, 2 caps 3x a day would be a good start? Is that unneccesarily high? Or should I take more than that?

Any help would be great. Thanks! (I'm excited, hopefully the wonders of omega-3's will do me right...)

EDIT: Crap I shoulda put this in the supplement forum. Sorry!

PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy

Awards
  • Established
Do you think following the directions, 2 caps 3x a day would be a good start? Is that unneccesarily high? Or should I take more than that?
From what I've seen that would be on the low end for fish oil dosing. Somewhere on this forum there is a Charles Poliquin Fish Oil Megadosing thread, right now i'm too lazy to find the link to it, but go check that out.

And if you're interested in higher dosages of fish oil its going to be more economical to switch to cod liver oil, much much more bang for your buck.

Liquid13

Liquid13

Awards
  • Established
Lately I've only been doing 2 caps twice a day. I think I liked 3 caps 3 times a day or 2 caps 4 times a day much better.

PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy

Awards
  • Established
Lately I've only been doing 2 caps twice a day. I think I liked 3 caps 3 times a day or 2 caps 4 times a day much better.
I had a bottle of fish oil that I wanted to get rid of and I had had it for awhile and was dosing about 30+ grams a day for about a week and had no ill effects

Liquid13

Liquid13

Awards
  • Established
I had a bottle of fish oil that I wanted to get rid of and I had had it for awhile and was dosing about 30+ grams a day for about a week and had no ill effects
Did you ever cut yourself, lol.

UKStrength

A total of 2-3g of EPA and DHA combined would be optimal for most individuals.

Try spreading the dosages out over your main meals and avoid taking it during the period immediately post-exercise.

majinbijiita

majinbijiita

Awards
Why avoid immediately PWO?

And yes the whole 30+grams a day is too much for me I think. The most I'd go is 10grams a day right now. I don't need to "mega-dose" anything. That just sounds like a good way to waste money or have some sort of side-effects though I guess Public Enemy would say differently.

The fish-burps aren't too bad...so that's good cuz I was a little worried about that.

maradona10

Awards

no ill effects? thats great!...but did you feel or see anything that improved because of taking that much?

PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy

Awards
  • Established
That just sounds like a good way to waste money or have some sort of side-effects though I guess Public Enemy would say differently.
Eh fish oil caps are a waste of money anyways if you are going for omega-3's, fish oil in liquid form is going to be the most economical (although i wouldn't say tasty).

no ill effects? thats great!...but did you feel or see anything that improved because of taking that much?
I didn't see any ill side effects that I noted. I've read a few things about high dose fish oil and figured I'd kill off the (Sam's club) bottle in the name of experimentation. Maybe a week wasn't a long enough time, but i didn't notice anything pronounced. My concentration and mood was up slightly but definitely not worth excessive amounts of fish oil.

UKStrength

Why avoid immediately PWO?
The effects of omega-3s are anti-inflammatory.

To get the full benefit of the adaptations ('training effect') from your training and therefore muscle hypertrophy, you don't want to suppress this effect at this time, just replenish muscle glycogen and stimulate protein synthesis with your post-workout shake.

Take the omega-3s with the rest of your meals but not immediately around training.

1HP

1HP

Awards
  • Established
Supposedly you need to balance your omega-3 intake with your omega-6 intake in a 1:3 or 1:4 ratio.

I input all my foods at nutritiondata.com which has the omega-3 and omega-6 content listed for almost all foods and add fishoil to obtain that balance. Most diets are omega-6 dominant. It comes out to 6 fishoil caps a day for me supplying 1.8 gr omega-3 but I eat a lot of omega-6 heavy nuts.

There is a thread somehwere on mindandmuscle discussing the negative effects on health of excessive omega-3 compared to omega-6 intake.