Coconut oil and keto

benj851

benj851

Awards
  • Established
Alright So I'm trying keto and I love coconut oil. I know that I need to get the most of my fats from polyunsat and monounsat fats like olive oil and nuts. I also know that coconut oil is comprised of almost all sat fats... I need 175g of fats a day, can I get 100g fat through coconut oil and still be fine or will that crazy high level of sat fats hurt me in the long run even though they are MCT's? And I should try to get 100g of fat through olive oil instead...even though coconut is the BOMB!!!

btw it would and is always extra virgin organic raw coconut oil...the best is the purest!

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
I think pmiller had an article that said that too many MCT's can be detrimental to a keto/CKD. I wasn't able to find it but I know I saw it on here, maybe he'll pop in and drop some knowledge. If not drop him a PM.

PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy

Awards
  • Established
Alright So I'm trying keto and I love coconut oil. I know that I need to get the most of my fats from polyunsat and monounsat fats like olive oil and nuts. I also know that coconut oil is comprised of almost all sat fats... I need 175g of fats a day, can I get 100g fat through coconut oil and still be fine or will that crazy high level of sat fats hurt me in the long run even though they are MCT's? And I should try to get 100g of fat through olive oil instead...even though coconut is the BOMB!!!

btw it would and is always extra virgin organic raw coconut oil...the best is the purest!
I don't have very much experience with either coconut oil or keto diets, but to me over 50% of your fat intake being saturated seems slightly excessive. Understandably, saturated fat intake without the presence of carbohydrates doesn't seem to have as drastic health consequences as a high sat. fat intake w/ CHO, but still I think it would have some negative impact on your blood lipid profiles.

You could always try that out for a couple of weeks and get your blood HDL/LDL checked before and after and then come back and tell :)

benj851

benj851

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the heads up man... Actually I found out the coconut isn't good for you while your on keto because the MCT fats in the oil are used in your body almost the same way that carbs are, in fat coconut oil can kick you out of keto altogether very easily... or so I'm told.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the heads up man... Actually I found out the coconut isn't good for you while your on keto because the MCT fats in the oil are used in your body almost the same way that carbs are, in fat coconut oil can kick you out of keto altogether very easily... or so I'm told.
And BOOM goes the dynamite. Glad you were able to get that straightened out.

mathis50262

mathis50262

Awards
  • Established
Hey ben, of subject a little, but what is you bf? I mean I see you 290, but is that fairly solid, or soft? You may not need to be at super high fats, and protein, if you not trying to maintain a whole lot.

benj851

benj851

Awards
  • Established
Hey ben, of subject a little, but what is you bf? I mean I see you 290, but is that fairly solid, or soft? You may not need to be at super high fats, and protein, if you not trying to maintain a whole lot.
I'm 22% fat. And I'm not trying to maintain it obviously:nervous:! What would you recommend I be at then...?

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yup Pmiller hit on it; and it is actually mentioned in the Mauro DiPasquales Anabolic Diet book as well if you've read it. Can't recall the page reference off hand ;)

What? I'm slacking... fine I'll go find it...
It’s also important to note that Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCT’s) get a big thumbs down
for use in the Anabolic Diet. Very few foods actually contain MCT’s, but you’ll find many people
are very big on MCT supplements, most of which are derived from coconut oil. They’ll say,
“It’s fat, why can’t we use it?” but it basically bypasses the whole energy pathway we’re trying to
establish with the Anabolic Diet and can be very counterproductive.
MCT’s can be of great use on a diet high in complex carbs because of its protein sparing
effects. But on the Anabolic Diet, the body, instead of using the long chain fatty acids that make
up most body fat, uses the MCT’s. The body ends up bypassing the very metabolic processes
that the Anabolic Diet sets up: to burn its own fat and use the long chain fatties as a primary
energy source.
The long chain triglycerides utilized in the Anabolic Diet also have several advantages over
the MCT’s. They have an even greater protein-sparing effect than the MCT’s. And along with
decreasing the formation of bodyfat, which the MCT’s also do, they increase the amount of
existing bodyfat broken down and greatly decrease bodyfat levels.
A lot of people will be tempted to run down to the health food store and buy some MCT’s
to be used on this diet, but don’t bite. They’ll actually work against the diet in terms of muscle
production and fat breakdown.

benj851

benj851

Awards
  • Established
Wow makes even more sense now... Got it, Stay away from the great tasting coconut oil! Think I'll miss that more than my favorite pizza.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
dan duchaine touches on it in body opus, but it states the oppitsite, and said that it should be used due to it being an energy source (portal vein) via its metabolism, and people get tired he also mentioned that they are broken down faster so its a nice source of fats...

not saying i agree with either one, but, i like using oils like EVOO and mac nut oil and nut butters for my fat, i dont see a problem with a little here and there.

Jeff

Awards
  • Established
I've never had a problem with the coconut oil and being kicked out of keto, at least according to the keto sticks fwiw.

I haven't been sweating about the saturated fat intake on my keto diet at all, nothing like eating bacon and eggs every morning for breakfast and having your cholesterol levels drop 50 points ;) However, I do have a ton of olive oil on the diet, more so then when I am not doing a keto diet.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I really need to finish Body Opus; started it many times. Just finished Will Brink's Bodybuilding Revealed, and it was decent I thought.
body opus is good, i posted the whole book on here in PDF a while back. but its pretty good read the first few chapters are eh, but last few !! whole new level

mathis50262

mathis50262

Awards
  • Established
Wow makes even more sense now... Got it, Stay away from the great tasting coconut oil! Think I'll miss that more than my favorite pizza.
But you can have it on the weekends:burger::popcorn::spam::food:

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
awesome thread..this explains my difficulty in cutting since adding in Coconut oil :lol:

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Quick Keto Pizza tip...

Get yourself a fry pan, a block of mozzerella cheese, some pepperoni, italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, garlic powder.

Now spray some pam on the pan or use some butter and turn it on. Grate a bunch of cheese so that the entire pan is covered and has some thickness to it and just turn the stove on.

At some point the cheese will start to all melt together and start to bubble, so add your seasoning and a couple slices of pepperoni and continue to heat

Now its been cooking and the sides should be turning a golden brown. Remove pan from stove and slide it off to a plate and Viola!! Keto Pizza

I have a small pan that I make personal size pizzas in for myself and it really helps when your craving it. The bottom layer of cheese basically gets burnt and hard so when you bite it you get this crunch and taste the cheese and seasoning and pepperoni and you mind says "pizza". Try it and lemme know how it goes bud

incorrection

Awards
mct's preworkout in keto = endless energy

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
hmm good to know