Do you always need PWO meal

1. Registered User

Do you always need PWO meal

For example, lets say you wake up and eat a decent sized breakfast, then head straight to the gym. You workout for about an hour.

At the end of your workout there's still undigested breakfast in your stomach i would assume you could skip the PWO meal. As long as lunch isnt to far away?

is this wrong?

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Troymm View Post
    For example, lets say you wake up and eat a decent sized breakfast, then head straight to the gym. You workout for about an hour.

At the end of your workout there's still undigested breakfast in your stomach i would assume you could skip the PWO meal. As long as lunch isnt to far away?

is this wrong?
    Not if you want to stay small.

Eat please.

Or have a shake, or some aminos at least.
  3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Kristofer68SS View Post
    Not if you want to stay small.

Eat please.

Or have a shake, or some aminos at least.

getting enough cals is not an issue. i just dont want to have to drink a PWO shake when undigested breakfast is in my belly and lunch is around the corner.

if i had a problem getting enough cals then no doubt i would drink the shake

i literally head to the gym after the last bite of breakfast. and i'm there for an hour
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

getting enough cals is not an issue. i just dont want to have to drink a PWO shake when undigested breakfast is in my belly and lunch is around the corner.

i literally head to the gym after the last bite of breakfast. and i'm there for an hour
    Its up to you bro.

IMO, I would carb and protein up after working out, but thats just me.

Pretty sure there is alot of data to back the above statement up.

I can dig some up, if you really need me to.

Start here.

Search window of opportunity
  5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Kristofer68SS View Post
    Its up to you bro.

IMO, I would carb and protein up after working out, but thats just me.

Pretty sure there is alot of data to back the above statement up.

I can dig some up, if you really need me to.

Start here.

Search window of opportunity

i know about the anabolic window

but if there's undigested breakfast in my stomach. dont i still have carbs and protein still flowing into my bloodstream?
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.

Talking

i know about the anabolic window

but if there's undigested breakfast in my stomach. dont i still have carbs and protein still flowing into my bloodstream?
    All i know is this...whenever im tryin to gain, i eat pwo, even if it means i feel like vomiting, and im always trying to gain. If you eat your breakfast, keep in mind you have most likely been in a catablic state while sleeping, and that undigested breakfest will not be enough to support what you just put your body through at the gym, assuming you lift like an animal. Just eat, it certainly wont have any adverse effects.
  7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by dedlifter1 View Post
    All i know is this...whenever im tryin to gain, i eat pwo, even if it means i feel like vomiting, and im always trying to gain. If you eat your breakfast, keep in mind you have most likely been in a catablic state while sleeping, and that undigested breakfest will not be enough to support what you just put your body through at the gym, assuming you lift like an animal. Just eat, it certainly wont have any adverse effects.

i know it wont be bad. i'd just rather eat the cals at lunch, i have a slow metabolism.

I understand what you mean about being catabolic from the night before.

But when i leave the gym my breakfast is still not finished digesting...lol

i head to the gym IMMEDIATLY after breakfast

seems like so far you guys promote PWO no matter what the case is.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.

Talking

i know it wont be bad. i'd just rather eat the cals at lunch, i have a slow metabolism.

I understand what you mean about being catabolic from the night before.

But when i leave the gym my breakfast is still not finished digesting...lol

i head to the gym IMMEDIATLY after breakfast
    I understand your logic, but i just believe, or better, i know that a pwo meal, of some sort, would be prudent. I think your selling yourself short if you dont!!!
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.

post your breakfast. if its high in slow digesting carbs, you can opt out taking carbs post workout. if its high in quick carbs (10 minutes before working out) you need a carb upload after training. regardless, you can still benefit from 20g of protein post workout.
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by suncloud View Post
    post your breakfast. if its high in slow digesting carbs, you can opt out taking carbs post workout. if its high in quick carbs (10 minutes before working out) you need a carb upload after training. regardless, you can still benefit from 20g of protein post workout.
    Right on.
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

sun has blessed this thread

Heed the sound advice OP.

good day gents, my work is done here.............lol
  12. Registered User

if i'm going to workout. about 500 cals

comprised of oats and/or whole wheat bagel

egg whites

and a little fats

and a few veggies just because, lol
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.

if i'm going to workout. about 500 cals

comprised of oats and/or whole wheat bagel

egg whites

and a little fats

and a few veggies just because, lol
    oatmeal is fast digesting, oats are not - just to clarify. try adding in some jelly to your whole wheat bagel to get some energy for your workout (fast carbs), then post workout, just protein, since most of your carbs won't be digested yet.
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  210 lbs.

Like sun said, with an adequate pre workout meal containing the quality CHO, insulin levels will still be raised well above resting levels to for adequate nutrient removal from the blood.

If you are getting in enough calories throughout the day, and the workout is short, than you are fine putting off the shake and eating a bigger whole food meal shortly after you gym session.

Curious though, what type of protein are you taking in before you hit the gym?
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.

This has been debated for years and there is no clear cut winner...reason? Individual bio make up ... When I used to do morning workouts, I would consume a large meal...6 eggs, 2 peanut butter sandwiches and a glass of milk (12oz).
    I would head to the gym after 45mins and hit the weights for 45mins. I wouldn't eat again until 2hrs later at lunch, around 11am...if I got a little hungry, I would grab a protein bar and a bcaa combo but that's it. I did this while pushing my weight from about 160 to 193 over a yr... and finally cut dwn to 175lbs or something of those sorts as this was 12 yrs ago so some of it is unclear to me now...

Its up to you but it depends on how soon after your meal that you workout, if its instant then I see no need to consume beef and chicken parts after when lunch is 1hr away ...
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  195 lbs.

why cant u just eat ur lunch earlier? it seems like the simple solution. If ur taking the time to lift an eat right why not cover ur pw meal just in case. If its really that much of an issue maybe time it a little better? eat breakfast then wait a little before lifting or lift for a little longer until lunch.
    oh and i eat 4-500 cals right before lifting and another 4-500 right after. Then 30-60mins after is a meal.
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by faaipdeoiad View Post
    why cant u just eat ur lunch earlier? it seems like the simple solution. If ur taking the time to lift an eat right why not cover ur pw meal just in case. If its really that much of an issue maybe time it a little better? eat breakfast then wait a little before lifting or lift for a little longer until lunch.
    oh and i eat 4-500 cals right before lifting and another 4-500 right after. Then 30-60mins after is a meal.
    You eat 4, 500 calorie meals before lifting and 4, 500 calorie meals after??????????? That's 4000 calories in 2 meals...Damn, what do you weight, 320lbs?

EDIT: Your 6'2 195? I must be reading something wrong in that case.
    ---The destruction of my enemies is to make them my friends---
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.

Op, maybe your pre meal is a bit to large, eh? Imean, if you have an extreme slow metab then it can be too large.
    ---The destruction of my enemies is to make them my friends---
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  195 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by hardknock View Post
    You eat 4, 500 calorie meals before lifting and 4, 500 calorie meals after??????????? That's 4000 calories in 2 meals...Damn, what do you weight, 320lbs?

EDIT: Your 6'2 195? I must be reading something wrong in that case.
    haha i meant one meal thats between 400 and 500 cals
  20. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by OCCFan023 View Post
    Like sun said, with an adequate pre workout meal containing the quality CHO, insulin levels will still be raised well above resting levels to for adequate nutrient removal from the blood.

If you are getting in enough calories throughout the day, and the workout is short, than you are fine putting off the shake and eating a bigger whole food meal shortly after you gym session.

Curious though, what type of protein are you taking in before you hit the gym?
    egg whites

Quote Originally Posted by hardknock View Post
    Op, maybe your pre meal is a bit to large, eh? Imean, if you have an extreme slow metab then it can be too large.

well its my breakfast

BTW i always assumed oatmeal was low gi slow digesting food? am i wrong

i dont add sugar or milk. Just water and then nuke in the microwave
  21. Registered User

simple answer to this: try what you're doing for a few weeks and track your lifts and your BW/fat %. Then after a few weeks if you are satisfied, stay with it. If you're curious how doing it the other way would help/hurt your lifts/BW/fat then try the other way for a few weeks and track it.

Done.

Every body is different.
  22. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  221 lbs.

I'd say eat a smaller breakfast that way you can still have a Post Workout meal/shake and have lunch... its better to eat spread out than to eat a huge breakfast, and then not be able to eat till lunch again... trust me, your metabolism will speed up as well if you eat more times, but smaller meals... You should be eating every 2 -3 hours bro
  23. Zr1
    Stats
    5'7"  148 lbs.

is this wrong?
    Don't eat right before you workout. Give your body time to digest. It would also be optimal to not eat a big meal before working out, since you should be eating afterwords and you could feel full during your training.

Post workout carbohydrate serves two main functions.

One is to stimulate insulin, which blunts cortisol while it helps shuttle nutrients into the now-primed and tramuatized muscle-tissue, to promote repair. The other main function is to promote reglycogenation - except that reglycogenation happens over the following hours and days, "spike" or not.

If you've just completely thrashed yourself with high-intensity training - heavy lifting, intense sprinting, complexes - post-workout carbohydrate will support the anti-cortisol function even while fat-burning is taking place. There is peer reviewed literature to this effect.

If you're looking for something post workout, what you want is glucose or a glucose polymer - ie starch. Starches are basically glucose molecules that get together and hold hands. Eat something like white or brown rice, oats, white pasta... your digestive tract will break up the party and release glucose, which requires and stimulates insulin in your body, blunting cortisol, stimulating satiety, shuttling in nutrients and setting the stage for muscle reglycogenation. Since glucose preferentially fills muscle glycogen stores, you want something that either IS glucose or will break down into glucose for this purpose.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Thought on weekly cheat meal (and I meal major cheat meal)
    By FitModel in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-01-2011, 12:19 PM
  2. Meal before bed?
    By Davidlee in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-17-2009, 11:57 PM
  3. Last meal
    By celicarida in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-27-2006, 08:09 PM
  4. First meal of the day