Do you always need PWO meal

Troymm

Awards
For example, lets say you wake up and eat a decent sized breakfast, then head straight to the gym. You workout for about an hour.

At the end of your workout there's still undigested breakfast in your stomach i would assume you could skip the PWO meal. As long as lunch isnt to far away?

is this wrong?

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
For example, lets say you wake up and eat a decent sized breakfast, then head straight to the gym. You workout for about an hour.

At the end of your workout there's still undigested breakfast in your stomach i would assume you could skip the PWO meal. As long as lunch isnt to far away?

is this wrong?
Not if you want to stay small.

Eat please.

Or have a shake, or some aminos at least.

Troymm

Awards
Not if you want to stay small.

Eat please.

Or have a shake, or some aminos at least.

getting enough cals is not an issue. i just dont want to have to drink a PWO shake when undigested breakfast is in my belly and lunch is around the corner.

if i had a problem getting enough cals then no doubt i would drink the shake

i literally head to the gym after the last bite of breakfast. and i'm there for an hour

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
getting enough cals is not an issue. i just dont want to have to drink a PWO shake when undigested breakfast is in my belly and lunch is around the corner.

i literally head to the gym after the last bite of breakfast. and i'm there for an hour
Its up to you bro.

IMO, I would carb and protein up after working out, but thats just me.

Pretty sure there is alot of data to back the above statement up.

I can dig some up, if you really need me to.

Start here.

Search window of opportunity

Troymm

Awards
Its up to you bro.

IMO, I would carb and protein up after working out, but thats just me.

Pretty sure there is alot of data to back the above statement up.

I can dig some up, if you really need me to.

Start here.

Search window of opportunity

i know about the anabolic window

but if there's undigested breakfast in my stomach. dont i still have carbs and protein still flowing into my bloodstream?

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
i know about the anabolic window

but if there's undigested breakfast in my stomach. dont i still have carbs and protein still flowing into my bloodstream?
All i know is this...whenever im tryin to gain, i eat pwo, even if it means i feel like vomiting, and im always trying to gain. If you eat your breakfast, keep in mind you have most likely been in a catablic state while sleeping, and that undigested breakfest will not be enough to support what you just put your body through at the gym, assuming you lift like an animal. Just eat, it certainly wont have any adverse effects.

Troymm

Awards
All i know is this...whenever im tryin to gain, i eat pwo, even if it means i feel like vomiting, and im always trying to gain. If you eat your breakfast, keep in mind you have most likely been in a catablic state while sleeping, and that undigested breakfest will not be enough to support what you just put your body through at the gym, assuming you lift like an animal. Just eat, it certainly wont have any adverse effects.

i know it wont be bad. i'd just rather eat the cals at lunch, i have a slow metabolism.

I understand what you mean about being catabolic from the night before.

But when i leave the gym my breakfast is still not finished digesting...lol

i head to the gym IMMEDIATLY after breakfast

seems like so far you guys promote PWO no matter what the case is.

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
i know it wont be bad. i'd just rather eat the cals at lunch, i have a slow metabolism.

I understand what you mean about being catabolic from the night before.

But when i leave the gym my breakfast is still not finished digesting...lol

i head to the gym IMMEDIATLY after breakfast
I understand your logic, but i just believe, or better, i know that a pwo meal, of some sort, would be prudent. I think your selling yourself short if you dont!!!

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established

post your breakfast. if its high in slow digesting carbs, you can opt out taking carbs post workout. if its high in quick carbs (10 minutes before working out) you need a carb upload after training. regardless, you can still benefit from 20g of protein post workout.

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
post your breakfast. if its high in slow digesting carbs, you can opt out taking carbs post workout. if its high in quick carbs (10 minutes before working out) you need a carb upload after training. regardless, you can still benefit from 20g of protein post workout.
Right on.

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
sun has blessed this thread:)

Heed the sound advice OP.

good day gents, my work is done here.............lol

Troymm

Awards

if i'm going to workout. about 500 cals

comprised of oats and/or whole wheat bagel

egg whites

and a little fats

and a few veggies just because, lol

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
if i'm going to workout. about 500 cals

comprised of oats and/or whole wheat bagel

egg whites

and a little fats

and a few veggies just because, lol
oatmeal is fast digesting, oats are not - just to clarify. try adding in some jelly to your whole wheat bagel to get some energy for your workout (fast carbs), then post workout, just protein, since most of your carbs won't be digested yet.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Like sun said, with an adequate pre workout meal containing the quality CHO, insulin levels will still be raised well above resting levels to for adequate nutrient removal from the blood.

If you are getting in enough calories throughout the day, and the workout is short, than you are fine putting off the shake and eating a bigger whole food meal shortly after you gym session.

Curious though, what type of protein are you taking in before you hit the gym?

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
This has been debated for years and there is no clear cut winner...reason? Individual bio make up ... When I used to do morning workouts, I would consume a large meal...6 eggs, 2 peanut butter sandwiches and a glass of milk (12oz).
I would head to the gym after 45mins and hit the weights for 45mins. I wouldn't eat again until 2hrs later at lunch, around 11am...if I got a little hungry, I would grab a protein bar and a bcaa combo but that's it. I did this while pushing my weight from about 160 to 193 over a yr... and finally cut dwn to 175lbs or something of those sorts as this was 12 yrs ago so some of it is unclear to me now...

Its up to you but it depends on how soon after your meal that you workout, if its instant then I see no need to consume beef and chicken parts after when lunch is 1hr away ...

faaipdeoiad

faaipdeoiad

Awards
why cant u just eat ur lunch earlier? it seems like the simple solution. If ur taking the time to lift an eat right why not cover ur pw meal just in case. If its really that much of an issue maybe time it a little better? eat breakfast then wait a little before lifting or lift for a little longer until lunch.
oh and i eat 4-500 cals right before lifting and another 4-500 right after. Then 30-60mins after is a meal.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
why cant u just eat ur lunch earlier? it seems like the simple solution. If ur taking the time to lift an eat right why not cover ur pw meal just in case. If its really that much of an issue maybe time it a little better? eat breakfast then wait a little before lifting or lift for a little longer until lunch.
oh and i eat 4-500 cals right before lifting and another 4-500 right after. Then 30-60mins after is a meal.
You eat 4, 500 calorie meals before lifting and 4, 500 calorie meals after??????????? That's 4000 calories in 2 meals...Damn, what do you weight, 320lbs?

EDIT: Your 6'2 195? I must be reading something wrong in that case.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
Op, maybe your pre meal is a bit to large, eh? Imean, if you have an extreme slow metab then it can be too large.

faaipdeoiad

faaipdeoiad

Awards
You eat 4, 500 calorie meals before lifting and 4, 500 calorie meals after??????????? That's 4000 calories in 2 meals...Damn, what do you weight, 320lbs?

EDIT: Your 6'2 195? I must be reading something wrong in that case.
haha i meant one meal thats between 400 and 500 cals

Troymm

Awards
Like sun said, with an adequate pre workout meal containing the quality CHO, insulin levels will still be raised well above resting levels to for adequate nutrient removal from the blood.

If you are getting in enough calories throughout the day, and the workout is short, than you are fine putting off the shake and eating a bigger whole food meal shortly after you gym session.

Curious though, what type of protein are you taking in before you hit the gym?
egg whites

Op, maybe your pre meal is a bit to large, eh? Imean, if you have an extreme slow metab then it can be too large.

well its my breakfast

BTW i always assumed oatmeal was low gi slow digesting food? am i wrong

i dont add sugar or milk. Just water and then nuke in the microwave

samadhismiles

Awards
simple answer to this: try what you're doing for a few weeks and track your lifts and your BW/fat %. Then after a few weeks if you are satisfied, stay with it. If you're curious how doing it the other way would help/hurt your lifts/BW/fat then try the other way for a few weeks and track it.

Done.

Every body is different.

Tone

Tone

Awards
  • Established
I'd say eat a smaller breakfast that way you can still have a Post Workout meal/shake and have lunch... its better to eat spread out than to eat a huge breakfast, and then not be able to eat till lunch again... trust me, your metabolism will speed up as well if you eat more times, but smaller meals... You should be eating every 2 -3 hours bro

Zr1

Zr1

Awards

is this wrong?
Don't eat right before you workout. Give your body time to digest. It would also be optimal to not eat a big meal before working out, since you should be eating afterwords and you could feel full during your training.

Post workout carbohydrate serves two main functions.

One is to stimulate insulin, which blunts cortisol while it helps shuttle nutrients into the now-primed and tramuatized muscle-tissue, to promote repair. The other main function is to promote reglycogenation - except that reglycogenation happens over the following hours and days, "spike" or not.

If you've just completely thrashed yourself with high-intensity training - heavy lifting, intense sprinting, complexes - post-workout carbohydrate will support the anti-cortisol function even while fat-burning is taking place. There is peer reviewed literature to this effect.

If you're looking for something post workout, what you want is glucose or a glucose polymer - ie starch. Starches are basically glucose molecules that get together and hold hands. Eat something like white or brown rice, oats, white pasta... your digestive tract will break up the party and release glucose, which requires and stimulates insulin in your body, blunting cortisol, stimulating satiety, shuttling in nutrients and setting the stage for muscle reglycogenation. Since glucose preferentially fills muscle glycogen stores, you want something that either IS glucose or will break down into glucose for this purpose.