Olive oil for cooking, calories

Variocam

Variocam

Awards
Ive been cracking down on my diet as my bodyfat seems to have stabilized around 10% or so. My diet is fairly consistent however I had a hunch I was off target by say 300 calories.

I typically eat 2 whole eggs in an omellete for breakfast and use about 3 tbsp of olive oil in a non stick pan. How many calories do you figure the oil adds to the food if a tbsp is about 110 cals? There is usually a tsp of oil leftover in the pan and definitely some of it splatters. I now figure that whole mixture was about 500 calories (the 2 eggs and the oil) and factoring in that into a breakfast of about 600 because I eat a banana and two cups of coffee as well.

Is it worth ditching the oil and getting a nonstick pan? I don't like the idea of eating teflon instead of olive oil.

I should add that I do cardio atleast once a day sometimes twice a day for about 20 minutes a time. This worked for awhile but I am starting to see a decline in bodyfat loss so I need to start reducing my diet. Strength has increased on bench press, curls, pullups, etc at this whole time and I have been training about 3-4 years.

Variocam

Variocam

Awards
Also, I was using a lot more olive oil before I realized this. I figure 3 tbsp is the minimum I can use but I have used up to maybe 6 tbsp before easily.

carnivalhobo

Awards
there is absolutely no reason to use that much oil to cook eggs. consider some cooking spray, or invest in some better pans, 1tbsp should easily cover a 12inch skillet.

drivehard

drivehard

Awards
  • Established
there is absolutely no reason to use that much oil to cook eggs. consider some cooking spray, or invest in some better pans, 1tbsp should easily cover a 12inch skillet.
Agreed! Just use olive oil spray...you will get almost no calories from it.

Personally, I use about a quarter inch of water to cook my eggs in.

Put water in pan, add a few drops of vinegar, and bring to NEAR boil. Cracks eggs and drop softly into pan. Do not disturb them. Put lid on pan and cook them just under boiling until they are done to your liking (soft, medium, hard). Much healthier. The vinegar helps keep the egg "together" in the water. If you boil the water, it will fall apart. Takes a few times until you get the setting on your stove right, but well worth it!

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
You should never cook with olive oil. Ever.

Use butter, or another saturated fat like coconut oil as they will not get screwed up as easily by heat.

Variocam

Variocam

Awards

You should never cook with olive oil. Ever.

Use butter, or another saturated fat like coconut oil as they will not get screwed up as easily by heat.
Im cooking with stainless steel so you do need about 3 tbsp of oil to cook or it will burn bad.

I will try switching to sat fat then. I find oil easier to cook with. Cooking sprays only work with nonstick pans IMO.

Variocam

Variocam

Awards
Gonna switch to using my foreman instead with a tiny bit of butter.

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
Even if it doesn't look bad or brown it can still be rancid. Olive oil react at a very low temperature. This is why you should only consume it cold...

Variocam

Variocam

Awards
Even if it doesn't look bad or brown it can still be rancid. Olive oil react at a very low temperature. This is why you should only consume it cold...
Interesting. I cook with it all the time. I usually cook my chicken breasts marinated in olive oil and vinegar, salt, pepper, broil for 25 mins total.

As I am tired of doing this much cardio I am thinking ill slowly change my diet to be less cals and using the foreman will help I am sure.

carnivalhobo

Awards
Im cooking with stainless steel so you do need about 3 tbsp of oil to cook or it will burn bad.
this simply isnt true unless you have a very large or a very poor quality pan. If it is old and worn the surface will have tiny abrasions and cracks that fill with oil and use more, time to get a new pan or at least heat the pan up before adding fat to allow the metal to expand.

UKStrength

I would experiment with other cooking method as you've described mate, try using the grill, baking your meats (with herbs/spices), poaching, stewing are all low-fat methods.

madds87

madds87

Awards
  • Established
only use butter or my fav coconut oil. Olive oils omegas get destroyed at high heat.