supplaments for cutting and building

Jared G

Awards
Hi,

I have been traing fro quite some time now with no real goal in mind, I just enjoy training plus the healthy balanced lifestyle. I have recently decided ti up my game a little, by trying out some protein shakes and taking glutemine. I was wondering if anyone living in south africa could help me out in terms of dedent products for a protien supplament as well as a pre workout drink?

in terms of my goals, at this point im not really interested in bulking up as I am glutin intolerant and just cant get the meals in all day long. I am really just looking for that cut lean look. I am gyming 3-4 times per week with a fiarly high intesity but just want to increase strength. I have been tryin the usn multiplex (meal replacement) but was told to try out the pure whey? does anyone have any suggestions around what are the best brands as well as the best protein to carb ration asssumong i want to cut and noy bulk too much. also considerin that im not training to max intesity is a pre workout drink needed? im a bit sceptical about taking creatine?

thanks,

UKStrength

in terms of my goals, at this point im not really interested in bulking up as I am glutin intolerant and just cant get the meals in all day long. I am really just looking for that cut lean look. I am gyming 3-4 times per week with a fiarly high intesity but just want to increase strength. I have been tryin the usn multiplex (meal replacement) but was told to try out the pure whey?
From your avatar, I take it you mean you weigh 56kg at 5' 6" mate?

You can still bulk up if you're gluten intolerant (have you had this diagnosed from a doctor?) as there are many gluten-free foods available, it's just a case of making sure you get enough energy in during the day.

Post up your diet mate if you change your mind and want to look into bulking up.

The Meal Replacement Powder (MRP) is fine mate, be careful as some of the MRPs can contain gluten.

Pure whey would be a better choice directly after your workout.

In terms of brandsdoes anyone have any suggestions around what are the best brands as well as the best protein to carb ration asssumong i want to cut and noy bulk too much.
All the brands are pretty similar and it's really down to personal taste. Perhaps you could ask one of the board sponsors for a sample to try?

You want a roughly 2:1 ratio of carbohydrates to protein (e.g. 30g of whey and 60g carbohydrates) it doesn't matter whether you're cutting or bulking, the rest of your day's diet determines this.

Also considerin that im not training to max intesity is a pre workout drink needed? im a bit sceptical about taking creatine?
A pre-workout drink/meal is usually advised to make sure you 'top up' your blood glucose (sugar) levels before training, allowing you to perform at your best. Some contain stimulants (such as caffeine) to help you train harder, or other compounds to help with recovery.

You don't Need a pre-workout drink, could you eat a meal beforehand? If your gluten intolerance prevents you from doing this, then a drink would be a good idea.

Creatine is fine mate, just make sure it's 'pure' (e.g. Creapure brand), some people get stomach issues from taking it but it's very rare.

Considering you already have bowel problems, I would be cautious and dose it at 5g (heaped teaspoon) post workout in water, with some carbohydrates, rather than using the standard loading protocol.