I don't seem to be retaining muscle through the night

anab0lic101

Awards
I don't seem to be making any progress lately in both strength and muscle gains and believe its because during the night where I am without food for many hours my body is breaking down my muscle for fuel. It's not like I am losing all my gains during 1 night BUT a couple nights of muscle loss puts me at nothing gained so when the next workout comes round, I am unable to add weight to the bar or do more reps. I have a naturally VERY fast metabolism and need about 5000 calories a day to make gains and I'm thinking that while its somewhat slowed when I'm asleep its still going alot faster than the normal person. So when The last meal before bed big (cassein/milk/fat combo) has digested and been used up I am then in a catabolic state losing muscle at an accelerated rate.

The pattern I am noticing is I have a decent workout a few meals after I feel and look fuller/bigger and stronger then waking up next day whilst I am still bigger some has gone and I feel weaker, another sleep tonight will put me back to where I was before that workout it seems. So frustrating. It's like I take a step forward from a good workout and enough of the right foods afterwards then half a step back each night while I'm asleep. I have tried setting my alarm for the middle of the night and waking up to down a shake but I can't seem to wake up properly and just turn my alarm off and go back to sleep. The couple of times i did manage to wake up I then couldnt fall back to sleep and felt like **** the next day.

Would really like to hear from anyone else with a naturally fast metabsolism do you have the same problem? Or just any advice anyone has about this would be good.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
take a week off, then hit the gym back up with a fury. if you're having issues recovering, and i assume you're feeling tired and lethargic you could be overtraining. additionally, you may be training body parts too often for you to recover for your next workout (which is also overtraining).

just because you're taking a week off, doesn't mean you can skimp with your diet though.

wbted23

wbted23

Awards
I also would try not to overthink things. I happen to be a terrible morning person, so regardless of how I sleep, I feel like crap in the morning and I also feel considerably weaker. But if you consider that to be lost progress, then you are likely to convince yourself taht you really are getting weaker, and as a result be less pumped/motivated when you hit the gym. I know a lot of people say positive thinking is bull, and i usually agree, but in some cases it really can be helpful...or at the very least, avoiding negative thinking.

Try evaluating your condition later on, rather then when you first wake up. look at yourself at noon each day, for instance, and you will probably get a better idea of your size compared to the previous day. This may not be the best way when weighing yourself, but it is a better way to evaluate your physique.

thats my opinion anyways, plenty of people will prob disagree...

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Haha this title had me laughing out loud. How do you know you're losing muscle? You know you will be lighter upon waking in the AM, right?

jimmbow

jimmbow

Awards
if your talking about something like when your done working out your bi's and you cant touch your shoulder, then the next day you can, thats not really losing muscle. its normal.

Abdullah411

Awards
I don't seem to be making any progress lately in both strength and muscle gains and believe its because during the night where I am without food for many hours my body is breaking down my muscle for fuel. It's not like I am losing all my gains during 1 night BUT a couple nights of muscle loss puts me at nothing gained so when the next workout comes round, I am unable to add weight to the bar or do more reps. I have a naturally VERY fast metabolism and need about 5000 calories a day to make gains and I'm thinking that while its somewhat slowed when I'm asleep its still going alot faster than the normal person. So when The last meal before bed big (cassein/milk/fat combo) has digested and been used up I am then in a catabolic state losing muscle at an accelerated rate.

The pattern I am noticing is I have a decent workout a few meals after I feel and look fuller/bigger and stronger then waking up next day whilst I am still bigger some has gone and I feel weaker, another sleep tonight will put me back to where I was before that workout it seems. So frustrating. It's like I take a step forward from a good workout and enough of the right foods afterwards then half a step back each night while I'm asleep. I have tried setting my alarm for the middle of the night and waking up to down a shake but I can't seem to wake up properly and just turn my alarm off and go back to sleep. The couple of times i did manage to wake up I then couldnt fall back to sleep and felt like **** the next day.

Would really like to hear from anyone else with a naturally fast metabsolism do you have the same problem? Or just any advice anyone has about this would be good.
You may not be losing muscle. However, your muscles may not be recovering appropriately. If you're really think your issue is recovery, a good GH product like GH Accelerator by Procard Nutrition will help.

WhatsaRoid?

WhatsaRoid?

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Hmmmm, I would suggest trying out some recovery products and a week off sounds good as you may be in an overtrained state. I'd also suggest a possible mixing up of your workout and/or finding a new one as that could be keeping you in an overtrained state.

Hows your out of gym life, stressed much, depressed about anything, how many hours of sleep are you getting?

How old are you and whats your diet and training like? These three factors are key to this issue so this could help us with suggestions greatly.

Supps I'd suggest
Reset AD to-help the system recover
GHSR Stack (1 Somnidren-GH + 1 ZMK)-for GH release assistance
Essence EFA-great all around product to help give the body a boost Link

lector606

lector606

Awards
Trust me dude, in the very least the visual aspect of what you are describing is 100% mental. There is NO way you could gain/lose a visually noticeable amount of muscle in a period of hours. It might be that you don't have as many carbs in your system, or you're looking a little flatter because you sweat a little during the night or something like that but rest assured it isn't actual muscle loss.

It's totally possible, although entirely separately from the above, that you aren't eating the right stuff for YOU before bed. What are your last 2-3 meals like, generally, before you go to sleep?