exertion headaches.

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
I have recently been doing a 20 rep squat routine (breathing squats) and the other day i experienced an exertion headache, it was excruciating. Now whenever i do anything to raise my heartrate, my head starts pounding. After doing some research, i have discovered that these can have many causes. Anybody here experience these?

babywifey

babywifey

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
This has happened to me before, and I found out that I was not drinking enough water or getting enough vitamins. Once I started eating tons of veggies every day and drinking a gallon of water, they went away.

jimmbow

jimmbow

Awards
Wow, this recently starting happening to me every time I would try to do HIIT!! I had no idea what it was from, also, it started happening when I started taking ECA, once I stoped, problem solved.

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
This has happened to me before, and I found out that I was not drinking enough water or getting enough vitamins. Once I started eating tons of veggies every day and drinking a gallon of water, they went away.
Ive read that this helps , and could be the cause as well.
Wow, this recently starting happening to me every time I would try to do HIIT!! I had no idea what it was from, also, it started happening when I started taking ECA, once I stoped, problem solved.
Mine seem to be exceptionally bad.
sounds just like high blood pressure
Yeah, it can be associated with hugh blood pressure, that is what i initially thought it was, but after some research, the underlying causes seem to be otherwise. I was carrying my wifes bag from the airport yesterday, it cant weigh more than 50lbs and my head started pounding. think i better make an appointment.

margarette29

Awards
I have recently been doing a 20 rep squat routine (breathing squats) and the other day i experienced an exertion headache, it was excruciating. Now whenever i do anything to raise my heartrate, my head starts pounding. After doing some research, i have discovered that these can have many causes. Anybody here experience these?
I haven't experienced that case yet.. so, I'll answer your question with another question.. Did you go to the doctor already for a check-up? That case doesn't just need opinions or answers from others. You have to go to doctor to make sure. :)

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
I haven't experienced that case yet.. so, I'll answer your question with another question.. Did you go to the doctor already for a check-up? That case doesn't just need opinions or answers from others. You have to go to doctor to make sure. :)
Not yet on the doctor question.Me going to the doctor is not contingent on the opinions or speculations that i get here, i was just curious as to anybody else getting them. I know what they are, i used to get them about 6 years ago. I have upped my water intake and im taking a week off the gym, and im also gonna get a checkup.

PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy

Awards
  • Established
I get them occasionally time to time from high rep/drop set schemes that i'll do with squats or deadlifts as well as dizziness. Nothing ever lasting after recovering from the set though....

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
I get them occasionally time to time from high rep/drop set schemes that i'll do with squats or deadlifts as well as dizziness. Nothing ever lasting after recovering from the set though....
Yeah, mine last. I found some guys on another site talking about them, some get them as severe as myself. gotta see a doc i suppose.

StellaArtois

Awards
  • Established
i take a aleve prior to each workout...has helped me

Liquid13

Liquid13

Awards
  • Established
I have been getting them since last monday. I struggled on a bench rep and pain shot up my neck and I got a severe headache. Anytime I try to lift or have sex, I feel like I'm going to die. They arn't fun, and if you don't know what's going on it can be scary. I do believe they can be caused from straining your neck or having a stiff neck. There are other causes too, but that is what I believe mine to be from.

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
I have been getting them since last monday. I struggled on a bench rep and pain shot up my neck and I got a severe headache. Anytime I try to lift or have sex, I feel like I'm going to die. They arn't fun, and if you don't know what's going on it can be scary. I do believe they can be caused from straining your neck or having a stiff neck. There are other causes too, but that is what I believe mine to be from.
Yeah ive read that this is one of the causes. They are brutal, arent they? I had one from sex last nite. It feels like someone is in my head with a hammer. I also get cluster headaches, which are far,far,far,far worse.

Cardio always fixed this for me.
I also read that warming up with cardio helps these.

warsteiner

Awards
  • Established
I get them now and again and normally caused by really exerting myself during bench press. They get so bad that I have to stop doing any exercise with weights for about a week. Luckily I only seem to get them once or twice a year but that is bad enough.

From research it looks to be caused by the fact that I am unconsciously holding my breath and this is causing a build up of pressure in my head. Do a search on Google for 'valsalva maneuvre' as there are some breathing techniques that you can try to see if it helps.

Liquid13

Liquid13

Awards
  • Established
Yeah ive read that this is one of the causes. They are brutal, arent they? I had one from sex last nite. It feels like someone is in my head with a hammer. I also get cluster headaches, which are far,far,far,far worse.

I also read that warming up with cardio helps these.
Yes, they suck! The 2nd day I got one from lifting, and I almost couldn't drive home. I honestly thought I was in my last few minutes of life. Sight was fuzzy, sounds muffled, and the pain in the head was like some kind of torture from hell. I was able to relieve myself the other day with only getting a slight headache, so I think I'm on my way to being normal again. As far as cardio is concerned, I jog every morning for work, and it did not help too much for recovery I don't think.

jsl

Awards
I started getting them a few years ago. First time was when doing leg presses. I went straight home and took advil and tried to rest. It finally went awy and I feel asleep. the next time I went to the gym pain came back when warming up for my bench. This continued for over a month. About 50% of my workouts were cut short form the headaches and each time I had sex the pain came back. It was from the back of my neck into the back of my head. I finally went to the doctor, I waited so long because I didn't have insurance. He ordered a cat scan, nothing was found. Eventually the headaches just went away, but I was miserable for about 1.5 months. The pain has came back on 3 separate occassions, each time when doing leg presses. I'm still scared they'll come back each time I do presses. When I do the presses now I make sure to keep my head back against the bench through the lift. So far this has worked.

You might want to try excederine migraine. It was the only thing that helped me once the pain started.