1. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.91%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

exertion headaches.

I have recently been doing a 20 rep squat routine (breathing squats) and the other day i experienced an exertion headache, it was excruciating. Now whenever i do anything to raise my heartrate, my head starts pounding. After doing some research, i have discovered that these can have many causes. Anybody here experience these?

2. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.22%

This has happened to me before, and I found out that I was not drinking enough water or getting enough vitamins. Once I started eating tons of veggies every day and drinking a gallon of water, they went away.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  260 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.06%

Wow, this recently starting happening to me every time I would try to do HIIT!! I had no idea what it was from, also, it started happening when I started taking ECA, once I stoped, problem solved.
    •   

4. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.63%

sounds just like high blood pressure
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.91%

Quote Originally Posted by babywifey View Post
    This has happened to me before, and I found out that I was not drinking enough water or getting enough vitamins. Once I started eating tons of veggies every day and drinking a gallon of water, they went away.
    Ive read that this helps , and could be the cause as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmbow View Post
    Wow, this recently starting happening to me every time I would try to do HIIT!! I had no idea what it was from, also, it started happening when I started taking ECA, once I stoped, problem solved.
    Mine seem to be exceptionally bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutterpump View Post
    sounds just like high blood pressure
    Yeah, it can be associated with hugh blood pressure, that is what i initially thought it was, but after some research, the underlying causes seem to be otherwise. I was carrying my wifes bag from the airport yesterday, it cant weigh more than 50lbs and my head started pounding. think i better make an appointment.
  6. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.5%

Quote Originally Posted by dedlifter1 View Post
    I have recently been doing a 20 rep squat routine (breathing squats) and the other day i experienced an exertion headache, it was excruciating. Now whenever i do anything to raise my heartrate, my head starts pounding. After doing some research, i have discovered that these can have many causes. Anybody here experience these?
    I haven't experienced that case yet.. so, I'll answer your question with another question.. Did you go to the doctor already for a check-up? That case doesn't just need opinions or answers from others. You have to go to doctor to make sure.
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.91%

Quote Originally Posted by margarette29 View Post
    I haven't experienced that case yet.. so, I'll answer your question with another question.. Did you go to the doctor already for a check-up? That case doesn't just need opinions or answers from others. You have to go to doctor to make sure.
    Not yet on the doctor question.Me going to the doctor is not contingent on the opinions or speculations that i get here, i was just curious as to anybody else getting them. I know what they are, i used to get them about 6 years ago. I have upped my water intake and im taking a week off the gym, and im also gonna get a checkup.
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  150 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.72%

I get them occasionally time to time from high rep/drop set schemes that i'll do with squats or deadlifts as well as dizziness. Nothing ever lasting after recovering from the set though....
  9. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.91%

Quote Originally Posted by PublicEnemy View Post
    I get them occasionally time to time from high rep/drop set schemes that i'll do with squats or deadlifts as well as dizziness. Nothing ever lasting after recovering from the set though....
    Yeah, mine last. I found some guys on another site talking about them, some get them as severe as myself. gotta see a doc i suppose.
  10. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.71%

i take a aleve prior to each workout...has helped me
  11. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.24%

I have been getting them since last monday. I struggled on a bench rep and pain shot up my neck and I got a severe headache. Anytime I try to lift or have sex, I feel like I'm going to die. They arn't fun, and if you don't know what's going on it can be scary. I do believe they can be caused from straining your neck or having a stiff neck. There are other causes too, but that is what I believe mine to be from.
  12. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.58%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Cardio always fixed this for me.
  13. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.91%

Quote Originally Posted by Liquid13 View Post
    I have been getting them since last monday. I struggled on a bench rep and pain shot up my neck and I got a severe headache. Anytime I try to lift or have sex, I feel like I'm going to die. They arn't fun, and if you don't know what's going on it can be scary. I do believe they can be caused from straining your neck or having a stiff neck. There are other causes too, but that is what I believe mine to be from.
    Yeah ive read that this is one of the causes. They are brutal, arent they? I had one from sex last nite. It feels like someone is in my head with a hammer. I also get cluster headaches, which are far,far,far,far worse.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasTitan View Post
    Cardio always fixed this for me.
    I also read that warming up with cardio helps these.
  14. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40.02%

I get them now and again and normally caused by really exerting myself during bench press. They get so bad that I have to stop doing any exercise with weights for about a week. Luckily I only seem to get them once or twice a year but that is bad enough.

From research it looks to be caused by the fact that I am unconsciously holding my breath and this is causing a build up of pressure in my head. Do a search on Google for 'valsalva maneuvre' as there are some breathing techniques that you can try to see if it helps.
  15. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.24%

Yeah ive read that this is one of the causes. They are brutal, arent they? I had one from sex last nite. It feels like someone is in my head with a hammer. I also get cluster headaches, which are far,far,far,far worse.

I also read that warming up with cardio helps these.
    Yes, they suck! The 2nd day I got one from lifting, and I almost couldn't drive home. I honestly thought I was in my last few minutes of life. Sight was fuzzy, sounds muffled, and the pain in the head was like some kind of torture from hell. I was able to relieve myself the other day with only getting a slight headache, so I think I'm on my way to being normal again. As far as cardio is concerned, I jog every morning for work, and it did not help too much for recovery I don't think.
  16. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  207 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.85%

I started getting them a few years ago. First time was when doing leg presses. I went straight home and took advil and tried to rest. It finally went awy and I feel asleep. the next time I went to the gym pain came back when warming up for my bench. This continued for over a month. About 50% of my workouts were cut short form the headaches and each time I had sex the pain came back. It was from the back of my neck into the back of my head. I finally went to the doctor, I waited so long because I didn't have insurance. He ordered a cat scan, nothing was found. Eventually the headaches just went away, but I was miserable for about 1.5 months. The pain has came back on 3 separate occassions, each time when doing leg presses. I'm still scared they'll come back each time I do presses. When I do the presses now I make sure to keep my head back against the bench through the lift. So far this has worked.

You might want to try excederine migraine. It was the only thing that helped me once the pain started.
  17. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.91%

got another one today.
  18. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.24%

got another one today.
    Take a week off. I've been out for 8 days, and I think I'm about ready to go back. I tested myself with 25 slow pushups, and no headache!

Similar Forum Threads

1. Weight Lifters (exertion) Headache
    By BaDgErFaN in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-14-2010, 12:50 AM
  2. bad headaches.
    By xalmasin88 in forum OTC Drug
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-19-2009, 03:50 PM
  3. Headaches?
    By KneeDragger76 in forum Pheromones
    Replies: 2