Bread is bad?

Zr1

Zr1

Awards
Someone was telling today that bread is terrible for you and that wheat isn't good either...Why is bread not good for you? I'm under the assumption she's implying it makes you gain weight and is unhealthy. She also stated it's converted to sugar, but aren't all carbohydrates converted to sugar?

Basically, why is bread bad and should i just avoid it?

Is pita bread ok? I generally have chicken pita sandwiches from time to time...But, if i shouldn't eat, I'll avoid it...(I don't need bread)

I find it odd that bread would be bad for you, when Jesus and the disciples had it for last supper...I'm not really religious, but these people are basically implying God is stupid and shouldn't have had bread...He should have stuck with Ezekiel bread instead...lol

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
anything whole grain is fine, and yes, all carbs convert to sugar - its the speed of conversion you need to look out for.

Zr1

Zr1

Awards
How do i look out for that and what are the rules?

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
How do i look out for that and what are the rules?
the rules are all whole grains are OK. 7 grain, whole grain, whole wheat, rye, etc. the bad ones have "white flour" in the ingredients.

babywifey

babywifey

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Enriched flour isn't good for you. Sprouted grains are great and some bread is even made out of sprouted grains (like Ezekiel). You have to remember that in Bible days food was not processed in the way it is now. Bread was home ade and probably much healthier than most you buy in the store. Jesus probably wasn't on a "weight loss/fat loss" diet during his last supper either. That was probably the last thing on his mind. :)

TexasTitan

TexasTitan

Awards
  • Established
Could have been spouting about the evils of gluten.

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
Most breads are trash IMO, even the ones that claim to be "whole-wheat."

Stick to Ezekiel bread, or another bread where the primary ingredients are sprouted grains.. If you see "Wheat Flour" ANYWHERE listed in the ingredients, move on.

allstar

allstar

Awards
  • Established
Make sure one of the first ingredients in the bread isn't HFCS.

heywood

heywood

Awards
  • Established
If anybody lives in the PNW, a great source is Silver Mills bread (a Canadian product). All sprouted grains and most breads with 5g fiber per slice. It's heavy duty stuff and very good for you.

silverSurfer

silverSurfer

Awards
  • Established
I've been reading in this forum about Ezekiel bread and I've seen it at the nearby Whole Foods Market... Friday, while getting my fish oil, I decided to get a loaf of Ezekiel bread. I toasted two slices Saturday to go with my scrambled eggs and chicken and WOW it is the best tasting bread ever! I should have started eating it a long time ago.

Cinn

Cinn

Awards
Enriched flour isn't good for you. Sprouted grains are great and some bread is even made out of sprouted grains (like Ezekiel). You have to remember that in Bible days food was not processed in the way it is now. Bread was home ade and probably much healthier than most you buy in the store. Jesus probably wasn't on a "weight loss/fat loss" diet during his last supper either. That was probably the last thing on his mind. :)
People also died of plague in the bible days.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Whole grain bread is a semi-processed food product. Many are high in salt and some, like others mentioned, use some sort of sweeteners.

There are worse foods but everything in moderation. However, I think you are better off with whole food starch sources like potato, yam, rice, quinoa, etc.

Variocam

Variocam

Awards
wasnt ezekiel bread back in the day baked in ****?

Something to consider :)

Bread isnt bad if it fits your macros. I like to buy the bakery breads that look fairly old school, like the whole wheat crusty varieties. Trader joes has a nice anadama bread if you can buy it on the day its fresh. Its hit or miss sometimes.

margarette29

Awards
Someone was telling today that bread is terrible for you and that wheat isn't good either...Why is bread not good for you? I'm under the assumption she's implying it makes you gain weight and is unhealthy. She also stated it's converted to sugar, but aren't all carbohydrates converted to sugar?

Basically, why is bread bad and should i just avoid it?

Is pita bread ok? I generally have chicken pita sandwiches from time to time...But, if i shouldn't eat, I'll avoid it...(I don't need bread)

I find it odd that bread would be bad for you, when Jesus and the disciples had it for last supper...I'm not really religious, but these people are basically implying God is stupid and shouldn't have had bread...He should have stuck with Ezekiel bread instead...lol
What?! Bread is bad? Well,.. For me, it's not.. Choosing the right bread is key to a healthy diet... And, have you experienced eating bread then came up with bad results? :ugh:

Tone

Tone

Awards
  • Established
Bread is like putting glue in your digestive system, but its ok in moderation... here is a quote I use

"the whiter the bread, the quicker you're dead"

white bread is bad, anything WHITE is bad because it has to be bleached and stripped of all its nutrients... I wouldn't say don't eat bread, but use in moderation and please dn't eat white bread!

Cinn

Cinn

Awards
Bread is like putting glue in your digestive system, but its ok in moderation...
Actually, it's a good way to keep things moving. Fiber is your friend.

here is a quote I use

white bread is bad, anything WHITE is bad because it has to be bleached and stripped of all its nutrients... I wouldn't say don't eat bread, but use in moderation and please dn't eat white bread!
You're just being dramatic.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Actually, it's a good way to keep things moving. Fiber is your friend.
Which you can get from many whole food sources which have no additives, lower calorie density, and more micronutrition. Bread is hardly an essential food.

Jda777

Jda777

Banned
Awards
Bread is like putting glue in your digestive system, but its ok in moderation... here is a quote I use

I wouldn't tell anyone else that quote......you were :bandit: when you thought/posted that, weren't you?

:laugh:

Cinn

Cinn

Awards
Which you can get from many whole food sources which have no additives, lower calorie density, and more micronutrition. Bread is hardly an essential food.
Thanks for the input but nobody claimed it was an essential food.

heywood

heywood

Awards
  • Established
...hey, it's simple folks: look at the nutrition facts & ingredients. If it's whole sprouted grain (Ezekiel, Silver Mills, Dave's, some others), has high fiber content per slice (no, 2g is not acceptable) and doesn't contain sugars or hfcs and/or white flour it's okay.

I occasionally cheat with caraway rye, but usually I go with the Silver Mills Flax or Squirrely (both 5g fiber per slice!) which are also not made with flour (none of their breads are).

Tone

Tone

Awards
  • Established
I wouldn't tell anyone else that quote......you were :bandit: when you thought/posted that, weren't you?

Actually I tell that to a lot of people, because its true. You should do some reasearch before you make comments.

Cinn

Cinn

Awards
:thinking:
Try to quote the correct person next time for clarification. It didn't make sense to tell me it's not essential when I didn't claim it as such. Regardless, you took her post out of context. Another way of wording it would be "If eating bread, the key is to choose the right kind."

Jda777

Jda777

Banned
Awards
Actually I tell that to a lot of people, because its true. You should do some reasearch before you make comments.

Where can I read that 'the whiter the bread the quicker I'm dead?' Lol. Don't answer that, I'm just kidding.

Tone

Tone

Awards
  • Established
No RD will tell you that white bread is going to kill you or speed up your death.

Its just a saying that means that bleached flour, or white bread is not good for you.... You don't have to listen to me, nobody has to listen to me.. everybody has their own opinion about damn near everything.. im just tryin to help people be healthy... i put information out there to try and save lives, thats what I do...

drivehard

drivehard

Awards
  • Established
I eat two HUGE slices of bread covered in natty p-butter and splenda every morning for breakfast...

Of course we grind our own wheat and bake our own bread, so I know its the good stuff....

Otherwise I say go whole wheat or sprouted and NO sugar or HFCS!!!

Cinn

Cinn

Awards
Its just a saying that means that bleached flour, or white bread is not good for you.... You don't have to listen to me, nobody has to listen to me.. everybody has their own opinion about damn near everything.. im just tryin to help people be healthy... i put information out there to try and save lives, thats what I do...
Spreading misinformation is not how you should go about trying to save lives. Claiming an RD would agree with what you said is ignorant.

Cinn

Cinn

Awards
Brenda Davis R.D.

http://www.brendadavisrd.com/handouts.php?id=20

why don't you read what she has to say about white flour and then you can tell me if what I said was misinformation or not. Get a clue
She said white flour should not be a dietary staple but is fine for occasional consumption. So where did she say it'll make you die faster again? Right...she didn't.

Come back when you get your information from peer-reviewed sources and RDs in a hospital setting; not from someone wanting you to buy their book.

Tone

Tone

Awards
  • Established
She said white flour should not be a dietary staple but is fine for occasional consumption. So where did she say it'll make you die faster again? Right...she didn't.

Come back when you get your information from peer-reviewed sources and RDs in a hospital setting; not from someone wanting you to buy their book.
You said no RD would tell me that white bread is bad... So I showed you. Also I have talked to many RDs and Wellness professionals (I am one) who say the same thing... what do you do work in a factory?? I think being in the wellness profession, and working for a wellness DC, I know a little more than you, and have collegues who know a lot more than you. Im done with this topic. Have a nice day!

MAxximal

MAxximal

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Damn The Withe Bread is son of Satan`s?

Cinn

Cinn

Awards
what do you do work in a factory?? I think being in the wellness profession, and working for a wellness DC, I know a little more than you, and have collegues who know a lot more than you. Im done with this topic. Have a nice day!
A factory? Nah...I'm in a hospital every day for school. I have plenty of exposure to these things. No RDs(except one possibly selling you a product) will tell you "the whiter the bread, the quicker you're dead" as you claim.

...a wellness coach that works for a wellness DC(chiropractor?)? Things make more sense now. :wink1:

SWOLL

Awards
Speaking to a nutrionist, I was told that some whole weat bread are not good for you! He claims that if you can take a piece of bread and make it into one big ball then its not good for you! True whole wheat bread should crumble in your fingers when you try to make a ball out of it.

Tone

Tone

Awards
  • Established
A factory? Nah...I'm in a hospital every day for school. I have plenty of exposure to these things. No RDs(except one possibly selling you a product) will tell you "the whiter the bread, the quicker you're dead" as you claim.

...a wellness coach that works for a wellness DC(chiropractor?)? Things make more sense now. :wink1:

First of all "the whiter the bread, the quicker you're dead" is a figure of speech. Just because i call you "douche bag" doesn't mean that I actually think you are a bag that is used for women to douche themselves with. It simply means that you are in the same category... Hence, when I say the whiter the bread the quicker you're dead, that doesn't mean you are going to die if you eat white bread.

Here are some facts about white bread:

bread is not supposed to be white at all. A bleaching process was incorporated into bread making to give flour and the bread it makes a longer shelf life in the grocery store. During the process of bleaching most of the vitamin E antioxidant is lost, as well as the essential wheat germ and bran, which leaves only poor quality proteins and fattening starch.

Wheat germ and bran is known to:

Lower cholesterol
Combat colon cancer
Prevent constipation
Help stop strokes
Protect against heart disease
Improve digestion
(too bad all that is stripped in white bread)

In addition, the flour is stripped of nutrients including 50% of all calcium, 70% of phosphorus, 80% iron, 98% magnesium, 75% manganese, and 50% potassium.

Also all of the carbs in it are refined, basically all sugar, very little fiber because its all been stripped... You tell me whats good about it, and then tell my why I would eat it??? Or anybody should eat it for that matter...

Keep eating it, keep spiking your insulin levels, get fat, get diabetes, possibly die..... Not in all cases but for some people that will happen.

Jda777

Jda777

Banned
Awards
Cinn doesn't disagree that white bread is unhealthy. He disagrees with how extreme your statement comes across. He is interpreting it literally, as your immediate defense of the statement implied you meant it as such.

Cinn

Cinn

Awards
Cinn doesn't disagree that white bread is unhealthy. He disagrees with how extreme your statement comes across. He is interpreting it literally, as your immediate defense of the statement implied you meant it as such.
^^^This.

The lifting community(more so the brotelligence community) has taught itself to treat everything as an extreme. It is a-okay to enjoy most everything in moderation. Is white bread an ideal source of carbs? Not really. Is HFCS an ideal part of any diet? Not really. Is a snickers the healthiest snack choice? Not really. Will any of these things be so detrimental to your health that your life will end sooner if occasionally consumed? Probably not.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just stick with ezekial bread and dilemma solved. (Just being peace maker here, as this thread has gotten silly)

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
^^^This.

The lifting community(more so the brotelligence community) has taught itself to treat everything as an extreme. It is a-okay to enjoy most everything in moderation. Is white bread an ideal source of carbs? Not really. Is HFCS an ideal part of any diet? Not really. Is a snickers the healthiest snack choice? Not really. Will any of these things be so detrimental to your health that your life will end sooner if occasionally consumed? Probably not.
I love reading your posts. And you're right, there aren't many RDs out there that will say its bad for you. RDs have a very "middle of the road" policy. The bodybuilding community is what takes things to the extreme sides.

Take home message: Bread is ok for human consumption.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Take home message: Bread is ok for human consumption.
I don't think that this is wrong but I think that it needs to be qualified.

When it comes to debating issues like these, there can be several forms of ammunition. For example we can use 1) direct scientific evidence, 2) indirect evidence such as statistics 3) logical arguments.

1) Is hard to come by in nutrition. Can't just feed someone some food product and then cut them open to see what happens. Not to mention, the questionable profitable outcome of funding such research.

2) Again, someone has to fund the study. Second can the variables in question be isolated of the time frame of the study? Maybe the group that eats whole wheat bread smokes, drinks, sniffs glue... Who knows? Lastly, just because there may be a statistical correlation does not ensure causality. Both global warming and obesity are on the rise. Does that mean they are linked?

3) This is what it often comes down to. However, medical research usually relies on 1 and 2. In the absence of them they usually give the 'everything in moderation response.' That does not necessarily mean it is optimal.

So to qualify, do you want what is acceptable or optimal?

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Optimally, most grains should be avoided if you're looking for low bodyfat and slabs of muscle. However, based on timing and amounts of grains, they can work out alright. This is obviously a simplistic view of the matter, but most any food is acceptable in small doses and many more acceptable in moderate doses. I just think the fear of telling someone that bread will kill them is unnecessary, especially in a forum that can be read by even the most uninformed person.

johnyq

johnyq

Awards
  • Established
a lot of these processed cabrs we eat are being shown to strongly increase markers of inflammation, crp and lpa, decrease LDL size, lead to insulinemia, and all of these things lead to a huge number of diseases. I was a carb monster just a year ago, but if you see my current log I only eat carb from veggies/fruit now.

http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/2008/05/wheat-free-is-not-gluten-free.html
Wheat-free is not gluten-free

Eliminate wheat from your diet and wonderful things happen:

--Lose 15-20 lbs, sometimes in the first 1-3 months. (More or less, depending on your prior dietary habits, weight, age, etc.)
--HDL cholesterol goes up, triglycerides go down
--Blood sugar drops
--Small LDL is reduced
--C-reactive protein is reduced
--Pre-diabetics often convert to non-diabetics
--Diabetics gain far better control over blood glucose. Some even become non-diabetic (as long as they maintain the wheat-free, low-glycemic index diet and weight control).
--You feel better: Less mental fogginess, more energy, better sleep.
--Appetite shrinks dramatically.

(Many diet programs makes lots of money promising similar results. Prescription medications like the pre-diabetes drugs, Actos and Avandia, and the fibrates, Tricor and Lopid, nearly--nearly--reproduce the effects of eliminating wheat. Of course, these medications do not lead to weight loss or make you feel better. In fact, Actos and Avandia usually trigger a weight gain of 8 lbs in the first year of use.)

All of these wonderful effects develop with elimination of wheat. . . unless you confuse wheat-free with gluten-free. There's a difference.

Remove wheat from your diet, but discover the world of gluten-free products made for people with celiac disease, or gluten enteropathy, and you can regain the weight and recreate many of the phenomena associated with wheat. I've talked about this in past, but it trips up so many people that it's worth talking about again.

The concept that I am advocating is really low-glycemic index (or low glycemic load, actually). Foods that trigger a substantial rise in blood sugar, whether immediate (like whole wheat crackers) or delayed (like whole wheat pasta) are the culprits. The same effects develop with candy, cookies, fruit drinks, pizza, chips, table sugar, and other junk foods.

However, I pick on wheat specifically because it so dominates the American diet. It has grown to fill so many processed food products. It is also a food ingredient that is falsely advertised as healthy. In reality, pretzels, whole wheat crackers, whole grain bread, high-fiber cereals, etc. exert the same effect on blood sugar as candy or white table sugar. They also generate all the "downstream" phenomena listed above.

But wheat is hardly the only food that makes us fat, diabetic, and unhealthy. This is true for foods made with cornstarch (taco shells, cornbread, tortillas, chips, breakfast cereals); rice flour, puffed rice, and polished rice; and potatoes, particularly pulverized potato starch (potato chips). There are others.

These are the gluten-free products that are marketed to the gluten enteropathy (celiac disease) market. Yes, you can make muffins with cornstarch and no wheat gluten, but is it good for you?

No. It is nearly as bad as wheat. It can still skyrocket blood sugar, drop HDL, raise triglycerides, create small LDL, heighten inflammation, etc.

Ground flaxseed, oat bran, barley, quinoa, are some of the alternatives that do not create these effects. But not the majority of gluten-free products on the market.

I also recommend listening to a recent super human radio. He interviewed the author of the paleo diet.

http://www.superhumanradio.com/rss/2009/SHR_Show_283.mp3

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
a lot of these processed cabrs we eat are being shown to strongly increase markers of inflammation, crp and lpa, decrease LDL size, lead to insulinemia, and all of these things lead to a huge number of diseases. I was a carb monster just a year ago, but if you see my current log I only eat carb from veggies/fruit now.
I'm pretty close to that too. I only eat fruits/veggies, quinoa, plain oats, and sprouted bread. Couple that with an insulinmimetic such as the new glycobol, banaba extract, Na-RALA or anything else similar and insulin can be kept at bay.

nextahnold

Awards
The anti-bread attitude probably comes from the paleo-camp... you can read more at paleodiet.com. I've actually followed the paleo-suggestions in terms of diet (no grains or dairy - only veggies and meat) and had great performance results with it.