Diet Drinks?

Lene28

Awards
I am really trying to stay away from sugary drinks and only drink water, skim milk, and diet mountain dew. I am not a big fan of diet drinks, but diet mountain dew tastes pretty good. What are yalls favorite healthy drinks? Are some diet drinks healthier than other?

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Diet drinks without caffeine are preferable if you already get caffeine from elsewhere IMO. Also certain artificial sweeteners are better than others. So you might want stevia over sucralose over aspartame.

I've heard some pretty good reviews about the organic fruit-extract Vitaberry that can be mixed with water and has minimal carbs. You can even grab it from NutraPlanet with your next order, only 4g of carbs per serving and they're naturally occurring (15cals/8oz). I've got some en route that I'm excited to try.

bubbachew

Awards
  • Established
I am really trying to stay away from sugary drinks and only drink water, skim milk, and diet mountain dew. I am not a big fan of diet drinks, but diet mountain dew tastes pretty good. What are yalls favorite healthy drinks? Are some diet drinks healthier than other?
LOL just don't drink them....easy as that....

about the only things I drink is water, green tea and coffee.

bubbachew

Awards
  • Established
Oh, and what makes you think that Diet Mountain Dew is healthy? Just because it says "diet" on it?

The Myth

skim milk is a sugary drink;)

Lene28

Awards
bubbachew i just think diet dew tastes better than other diet drinks, i never said it was healthy that is why i asked

bubbachew

Awards
  • Established
bubbachew i just think diet dew tastes better than other diet drinks, i never said it was healthy that is why i asked
Usually the artificial sweeteners in diet drinks aren't all that healthy, although they are "zero calories". Just give the soda up...whether it be diet or regular.

Start drinking more water and tea....and I'd advise brewing your own iced tea....there are unwanted additives in most of the tea's you buy at the local gas station.

Cinn

Cinn

Awards
Usually the artificial sweeteners in diet drinks aren't all that healthy, although they are "zero calories". Just give the soda up...whether it be diet or regular.

Start drinking more water and tea....and I'd advise brewing your own iced tea....there are unwanted additives in most of the tea's you buy at the local gas station.
Telling people to completely give up the little things they enjoy(especially when it's not going to impact their kcal goals) is a good way help them fall off track at some point in the future.

BabyHulk

BabyHulk

Awards
  • Established
Try Diet Rite. It doesn't have caffeine, calories, sodium or aspartame. They use Ace K and sucralose. I have the cherry cola and it's hard to be beat.

bubbachew

Awards
  • Established
Telling people to completely give up the little things they enjoy(especially when it's not going to impact their kcal goals) is a good way help them fall off track at some point in the future.
Self-discipline, sir. You must have that being dedicated to a diet.

If you enjoy your soda, then drink it. It's your own body. I was just giving advice.

joemalorx

Awards
Should one stay out of the way of skim milk if aiming for fat loss?

Cinn

Cinn

Awards
Self-discipline, sir. You must have that being dedicated to a diet.

If you enjoy your soda, then drink it. It's your own body. I was just giving advice.
Self-discipline is much better to maintain when one doesn't remove all the little joys from their diet. Diet soda is not counterproductive in this context so why get rid of it?

margarette29

Awards
Well, same here. I'm not very much interested with diet drinks.. So, I didn't know so much about them. Anyway, you can have your diet in other ways, by means of food, exercise, etc.. :dl:

bubbachew

Awards
  • Established
Self-discipline is much better to maintain when one doesn't remove all the little joys from their diet. Diet soda is not counterproductive in this context so why get rid of it?
Artificial sweeteners DO spike insulin levels, so therefore, it COULD be counterproductive. ;)

UKStrength

Artificial sweeteners DO spike insulin levels, so therefore, it COULD be counterproductive. ;)
Agreed. I try to stay away from 'diet' products where possible due to this effect, opting for coffee, herbal/green tea or water, but it's often inevitable since they're in a lot of bodybuilding products e.g. protein powders.

Tone

Tone

Awards
  • Established
Diet soda is horrible for you, the artificial sweeteners most of them are toxic to your cells and nerves, cancer causing as well. They also are way sweeter than regular sugar so they give you an addiction to sweet things. People who drink Diet Soda instead of Regular Soda usually gain more weight!!!

DRINK WATER lots of WATER its the best thing for you

UKStrength

Diet soda is horrible for you, the artificial sweeteners most of them are toxic to your cells and nerves, cancer causing as well. They also are way sweeter than regular sugar so they give you an addiction to sweet things. People who drink Diet Soda instead of Regular Soda usually gain more weight!!!

DRINK WATER lots of WATER its the best thing for you
I don't know if I agree about the toxicity, you'd have to drink an AWFUL lot of artificial sweetener-based drinks for it to reach toxic levels.

Everything causes cancer these days, I'd take that with a pinch of salt ;)

I agree about your point on water though, good stuff.

Cinn

Cinn

Awards
Nahhhh. It may be a concern if you are a mouse. The human data doesn't hold up so well.

PMID: 11890951, 10888287, 12782208, 19221011, 19106249.

Tone

Tone

Awards
  • Established
I don't know if I agree about the toxicity, you'd have to drink an AWFUL lot of artificial sweetener-based drinks for it to reach toxic levels.

In moderation I would agree with you, but if you are drinking 1-2 cans of pop a day, along with any other diet drink or food it starts to add up and over a period of time you will start to see side effects.

SIDE EFFECTS TO ASPARTAME:
Headaches/migraines, dizziness, seizures, nausea, numbness, muscle spasms, weight gain, rashes, depression, fatigue, irritability, tachycardia, insomnia, vision problems, hearing loss, heart palpitations, breathing difficulties, anxiety attacks, slurred speech, loss of taste, tinnitus, vertigo, memory loss, and joint pain.

THESE CAN BE TRIGGERED OR WORSENED BY ASPARTAME:
Brain tumors, multiple sclerosis, epilepsy, chronic fatigue syndrome, parkinson’s disease, alzheimer’s, mental retardation, lymphoma, birth defects, fibromyalgia, and diabetes.

I would do without!

bubbachew

Awards
  • Established

In moderation I would agree with you, but if you are drinking 1-2 cans of pop a day, along with any other diet drink or food it starts to add up and over a period of time you will start to see side effects.

SIDE EFFECTS TO ASPARTAME:
Headaches/migraines, dizziness, seizures, nausea, numbness, muscle spasms, weight gain, rashes, depression, fatigue, irritability, tachycardia, insomnia, vision problems, hearing loss, heart palpitations, breathing difficulties, anxiety attacks, slurred speech, loss of taste, tinnitus, vertigo, memory loss, and joint pain.

THESE CAN BE TRIGGERED OR WORSENED BY ASPARTAME:
Brain tumors, multiple sclerosis, epilepsy, chronic fatigue syndrome, parkinson’s disease, alzheimer’s, mental retardation, lymphoma, birth defects, fibromyalgia, and diabetes.

I would do without!

Hey Cinn. you out there? read this post.

Wonder why Diabetes could be worsened by Aspartame (and most artificial sweeteners)? It wouldn't be due to insulin levels, would it? naaaaaaahhhhhhh

And I don't know if it's true or not, but I read a long time ago that Aspartame is actually ant poison, and can lead to a damaged nervous system over time when consumed in large amounts.

Cinn

Cinn

Awards
Hey Cinn. you out there? read this post.

Wonder why Diabetes could be worsened by Aspartame (and most artificial sweeteners)? It wouldn't be due to insulin levels, would it? naaaaaaahhhhhhh

And I don't know if it's true or not, but I read a long time ago that Aspartame is actually ant poison, and can lead to a damaged nervous system over time when consumed in large amounts.
I provided actual peer-reviewed sources. You and Tone have provided googled opinions. Just sayin.

bubbachew

Awards
  • Established
I provided actual peer-reviewed sources. You and Tone have provided googled opinions. Just sayin.
Okay, so in conclusion, based on your findings, drink all the diet soda and artificial sweeteners you want. They're not bad for you, and they have no effect on one's body...that's what I got out of it.

But I'll stick to my water and home-brewed green tea.

Thanks guys. Have a nice day. :)

Cinn

Cinn

Awards
Okay, so in conclusion, based on your findings, drink all the diet soda and artificial sweeteners you want. They're not bad for you, and they have no effect on one's body...that's what I got out of it.

But I'll stick to my water and home-brewed green tea.

Thanks guys. Have a nice day. :)
Nope...that's not what I said. Like everything in life, moderation is key but the bashings against artificial sweeteners in this thread are ill-founded. I provided citations for your benefit.

Learning is half the battle!

bubbachew

Awards
  • Established
Nope...that's not what I said. Like everything in life, moderation is key but the bashings against artificial sweeteners in this thread are ill-founded. I provided citations for your benefit.

Learning is half the battle!
I rather just avoid them all together...I've never really been a fan of diet drinks anyways....they're too sweet for me.

Anyways, thanks again, Cinn.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The biggest danger within soda is not the HFCS or artificial sweeteners, it is the preservatives.

Tone

Tone

Awards
  • Established

I have been certified in nutrition. this stuff is just common everyday knowledge to me

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have been certified in nutrition. this stuff is just common everyday knowledge to me
Many, if not most, nutrition certifications are well behind current research. Nutrition is amongst the most dynamic and individualized of all sciences.

UKStrength

Many, if not most, nutrition certifications are well behind current research. Nutrition is amongst the most dynamic and individualized of all sciences.
Totally agree mate, and a lot of so-called nutritional 'fact' is based upon poorly evidenced research, the goal posts are always changing.

A was only a few years ago we were advised to chuck out eggs because of 'bad' cholesterol, yet there were no long-term, cohort studies to prove it had any effect on blood cholesterol or incidence of coronary heart disease.

I think the same will probably be said for artificial sweeteners, moderation is the key. They're a useful weapon in the fight for a perfect physique, just don't base your entire diet on them.