I want to gain 20-30 pounds!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. I want to gain 20-30 pounds!


    I mainly want to know if I am just over exerting myself and maybe some examples based on what I would normally want to do.

    Basically, I am looking for upper body and ab workouts for right now. I get enough leg exercise from work. I am a courtesy clerk right now, so I am always on my feet. Pushing carts, lifting heavy stuff. Just waiting to become a stocker.

    Anyway, back on topic.

    First of all, I haven't worked on my abs just yet. I decided tonight that I was going to start doing them. A few days ago, I tried some Russian Twists. They seemed really easy for a full ab workout. Was I doing them right? I did 100 of them and I was pretty much fine. I could feel it, but not all that much.

    Now, my upper body. I normally do 10 Incline, 10 Decline, then 10 Normal Military push ups then a minute break. Also, the first 3 sets are with me using a 20 pound vest.

    I do about 5 sets of these within a good 15-30 minute range. Is that to much? The last 2 sets I don't wear the vest. If I do, I can't finish.

    I also weigh roughly 130 pounds and around 5'9 or 10. I don't know since I haven't weighed or measured myself in forever. I just think it is a fair assumption.

    I was doing this everyday, knowingly that I wasn't going to heal within that time, but I decided to change it to every other day.

    I also know all about nutrition facts. I just don't follow the guidelines lol.
    Such as a good rule of thumb is to check the fat cals. If they are 10% of the cals, it is a good thing to eat. I haven't really become hard core about it, but I do pay attention to at least my protein intake. I get maybe half of what I need daily to bulk up. Just something I need to work on.


  2. Well if your trying to gain that much weight, you definetly need to eat alot. I do not see any actual weight lifting up there... makes me ask what kind of weight are you trying to gain?

    Push ups and sit ups will build little strength and can build good endurance, but they are not really going to add any muscle mass.

    Work, pushing carts, etc. usually wont build the muscle mass too much either, because your usually lifting around the same amount of weight, and its not like you are working to absolute failure.

    If you want to gain that much weight hopefully you want it as muscle, and you will need to familiarize yourself with weight training. Here is a good place to start READ alot of stuff. Good luck!
    •   
       


  3. Well... I have a bench, but I almost never have a spotter. I also don't see my weight gain within a 6 month period.

    Ok, let's say I ate 1,800 cals a day, 6 meals, and around 120 protein grams alongside regular exercise.

    How long would it take to gain that weight? Also, that includes no fat from the food.

  4. Never, you need around 1.5g protein pr lb of bodyweight to gain muscle, also 1800 kals is no where near enough, I maintain at 3000 personally, a good place to start is times your bodyweight by 1.5 for protein, use the same amount of carbs, then half that amount of fats, so your ratios are 40/40/20 carbs, protein, fats.

  5. Ok than. say I did do what you are saying. 1.5 protein and such. Would I still gain a fair amount of weight with no free weights?
    •   
       


  6. I highly doubt it, sorry I wish I had a way you could but honesly the only way to put on any serious amount of muscle is weights in the gym (well unless your a builder/ labourer that sort of job)

  7. Ok how about this, and also don't expect a reply for at least a good 12-18 hours.

    Will this at the very least get rid of my bony chest and hips? Even just my chest.

    I have definition, just not enough to get around my ribs.

  8. post a pic

  9. Quote Originally Posted by Random181 View Post
    Never, you need around 1.5g protein pr lb of bodyweight to gain muscle, also 1800 kals is no where near enough, I maintain at 3000 personally, a good place to start is times your bodyweight by 1.5 for protein, use the same amount of carbs, then half that amount of fats, so your ratios are 40/40/20 carbs, protein, fats.

    We could argue all day if 1.4 grams of protein per body weight is really needed. I personally eat less than that and have results. Anyways hes difenetly right that 1800 calories is no where near enough.

    If you really dont have gyn access you have to get creative lift objects find a place for pullups.

  10. Besides the advice you've been given about nutrition, you must lift weights if you want to get bigger. You need to be doing squats, deadlifts, bench, military press, pullups and other mass gaining compound moves. Push ups and russian twists will not get you very far. You need to join a gym and do some serious research on this site. just my 2 cents.

  11. eat, lift, eat, eat, eat, eat, sprint, eat, sleep, repeat

  12. dont we all want to gain 20 to 30 lbs.??!!

    Best of luck to you.

  13. Quote Originally Posted by SupaLeanMan View Post
    Well... I have a bench, but I almost never have a spotter. I also don't see my weight gain within a 6 month period.

    Ok, let's say I ate 1,800 cals a day, 6 meals, and around 120 protein grams alongside regular exercise.

    How long would it take to gain that weight? Also, that includes no fat from the food.
    at 5'9" and 130, it will take you 1 year to gain one pound. and that's IF you don't become a stoker, because you'll be in a massive calorie deficit when you're moving that much stuff around - hello catabolism.

    Gaining mass in a nutshell (a big nutshell)

  14. Quote Originally Posted by Pleonastic View Post
    We could argue all day if 1.4 grams of protein per body weight is really needed. I personally eat less than that and have results. Anyways hes difenetly right that 1800 calories is no where near enough.

    If you really dont have gyn access you have to get creative lift objects find a place for pullups.
    We could but it really would not be much help to the op so why bother :P

  15. you're talking about adding 1/6 of your weight.... hmm.... 20-30 lbs to a 200lbs person is one thing you you weight 130lbs
    you need to take a hard look at your diet and go as high as you can on calories and protein every day!
    good luck!

  16. take a glance at my workout log that is in my signiture! I put on about 40 lbs in a few months. Of course my Supplimentation and Dieting for my body type was on par. I'm 5'7" and i started at 127lbs, currently 165lbs!

  17. Hard work and lots of eating for several years at least.

  18. Quote Originally Posted by SupaLeanMan View Post
    I mainly want to know if I am just over exerting myself and maybe some examples based on what I would normally want to do.

    Basically, I am looking for upper body and ab workouts for right now. I get enough leg exercise from work. I am a courtesy clerk right now, so I am always on my feet. Pushing carts, lifting heavy stuff. Just waiting to become a stocker.

    Anyway, back on topic.

    First of all, I haven't worked on my abs just yet. I decided tonight that I was going to start doing them. A few days ago, I tried some Russian Twists. They seemed really easy for a full ab workout. Was I doing them right? I did 100 of them and I was pretty much fine. I could feel it, but not all that much.

    Now, my upper body. I normally do 10 Incline, 10 Decline, then 10 Normal Military push ups then a minute break. Also, the first 3 sets are with me using a 20 pound vest.

    I do about 5 sets of these within a good 15-30 minute range. Is that to much? The last 2 sets I don't wear the vest. If I do, I can't finish.

    I also weigh roughly 130 pounds and around 5'9 or 10. I don't know since I haven't weighed or measured myself in forever. I just think it is a fair assumption.

    I was doing this everyday, knowingly that I wasn't going to heal within that time, but I decided to change it to every other day.

    I also know all about nutrition facts. I just don't follow the guidelines lol.
    Such as a good rule of thumb is to check the fat cals. If they are 10% of the cals, it is a good thing to eat. I haven't really become hard core about it, but I do pay attention to at least my protein intake. I get maybe half of what I need daily to bulk up. Just something I need to work on.
    Bullsh!t!
    This thread has to be a joke.

  19. Umm... No? It isn't?

    If you don't like it and have nothing you can help me with, than just don't post here.

    Also for everyone else. Thanks for your help and advice. There is one question that hasn't been answered yet although.

    Like said, Russian Twists won't do much for mass. As far as my abs go, I just want those ripped. So, can someone explain how they work or know of a video I can watch? I want to get them to at least a 6 pack. One of my friends didn't eat hardly anything good and not near enough to gain weight, but just from the job he had for months, he got a 6 pack without working out. All he did was lift a bunch of heavy mats. So, I think some Russian Twists will get me a 6 pack regardless of what I eat.

  20. Quote Originally Posted by SupaLeanMan View Post
    Well... I have a bench, but I almost never have a spotter. I also don't see my weight gain within a 6 month period.

    Ok, let's say I ate 1,800 cals a day, 6 meals, and around 120 protein grams alongside regular exercise.

    How long would it take to gain that weight? Also, that includes no fat from the food.
    it depends how much effort your willing to invest. Most people say they want a lot of things but really don't because they're not willing to do whatever it takes to get whatever they want!

    I usually pass up these posts. heres some help. start counting your calories do you even know how many calories is in one carbm one protein or one gram of fat?

    not working legs. wassup with that your quads will put on a lot of weight on you. work every bodypart! dude if you want to start weight bodybuild meaning build your whole body its simple

    start reading all you can about diet and bodybuilding google diet, bodybuilding and dieting and read and read and read Ive been reading seven years in my spare time visiting different bodybuilding sites/forums and still have much to learn.
    Millennium Sport Technologies Representative
    Mind and Muscle Code AM10
    Classic Physique competitor, Facebook- Great Physique Fitness, Online coaching

  21. Quote Originally Posted by SupaLeanMan View Post
    Umm... No? It isn't?

    If you don't like it and have nothing you can help me with, than just don't post here.

    Also for everyone else. Thanks for your help and advice. There is one question that hasn't been answered yet although.

    Like said, Russian Twists won't do much for mass. As far as my abs go, I just want those ripped. So, can someone explain how they work or know of a video I can watch? I want to get them to at least a 6 pack. One of my friends didn't eat hardly anything good and not near enough to gain weight, but just from the job he had for months, he got a 6 pack without working out. All he did was lift a bunch of heavy mats. So, I think some Russian Twists will get me a 6 pack regardless of what I eat.
    What do you mean at least a 6 pack? Lol, you can only get a 6 pack. And doing abs won't get you ripped by themselves, especially when eating whatever you want. You are also not working out legs or even lifting weights. You know practically nothing from where im standing. Just read any article and you will already know more than you do now.

    Edit: and you aren't eating any fat...wow.

  22. Quote Originally Posted by NutriSci View Post
    What do you mean at least a 6 pack? Lol, you can only get a 6 pack. And doing abs won't get you ripped by themselves, especially when eating whatever you want. You are also not working out legs or even lifting weights. You know practically nothing from where im standing. Just read any article and you will already know more than you do now.

    Edit: and you aren't eating any fat...wow.
    Actually, atm. I am just eating whatever. I haven't regimented my diet yet. I could swear I had seen someone with more than 6 lol. Maybe I mistook the lower part of the abs. I am sure you are right, I don't know much about lifting or gaining. I have read things about it, guess it just hasn't stuck with me.

    Quote Originally Posted by smeton_yea View Post
    it depends how much effort your willing to invest. Most people say they want a lot of things but really don't because they're not willing to do whatever it takes to get whatever they want!

    I usually pass up these posts. heres some help. start counting your calories do you even know how many calories is in one carbm one protein or one gram of fat?

    not working legs. wassup with that your quads will put on a lot of weight on you. work every bodypart! dude if you want to start weight bodybuild meaning build your whole body its simple

    start reading all you can about diet and bodybuilding google diet, bodybuilding and dieting and read and read and read Ive been reading seven years in my spare time visiting different bodybuilding sites/forums and still have much to learn.
    I am willing to do whatever is in my power to do it. I am quite limited to what I can do atm although. I also never knew that leg training would gain the most weight. I will do some more leg training, but honestly though, I am just mainly trying to get rid of all my ribs and bones from poking out.

  23. I mean no offense in saying this to you but have you ever watched the 24hr ghetto workout vids? or any of hannibals workout vids. You can get some size with just bodyweight if done very intensely but if your diet isn't 110% on point you wont see a damn thing, thats a guarantee!

  24. Quote Originally Posted by SupaLeanMan View Post
    Umm... No? It isn't?

    If you don't like it and have nothing you can help me with, than just don't post here.

    Also for everyone else. Thanks for your help and advice. There is one question that hasn't been answered yet although.

    Like said, Russian Twists won't do much for mass. As far as my abs go, I just want those ripped. So, can someone explain how they work or know of a video I can watch? I want to get them to at least a 6 pack. One of my friends didn't eat hardly anything good and not near enough to gain weight, but just from the job he had for months, he got a 6 pack without working out. All he did was lift a bunch of heavy mats. So, I think some Russian Twists will get me a 6 pack regardless of what I eat.
    Why don't you read the information that is on this site? Everything you want to know is here, if you put forth some EFFORT. Check out the NUTRITION and EXERCISE forums and stop wasting everybodies time with these remedial questions.

  25. Need a picture to help
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Really wanting to gain lbs of muscle
    By neil0215 in forum Pro Bodybuilding
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 08-02-2010, 01:35 AM
  2. diet if you want to gain strenght when on
    By homer in forum Bulking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-28-2009, 03:25 PM
  3. Looking to gain 20 by June
    By bigbobbybee in forum Bulking
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-17-2009, 01:44 AM
  4. Want to gain muscle+lose fat on M1T
    By Phenomenal in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-09-2003, 06:47 PM
Log in
Log in