Water!!! How much??

lift or die

Awards
What is the best amount of water intake and why is it so important?

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
1 gallon its good for ur kidneys especially when ur pounding them with creatine protien pre workout and pills etc...

and if u mix ur shakes in water, drink water from the fountain while working out.. and then for all other times drink from a 1 gallon jug u should be close to putting down about 2 gallons

Cinn

Cinn

Awards
People exaggerate(usually unknowingly) on this issue all the time. You get most of the water you need from food, other drinks, etc. Obviously if you are exercising then you will want to stay hydrated but carrying around a jug to down 1-2gals extra every day is overkill.

learn

learn

Awards
  • Established
Why Water Is Important

About 65% of your body is water:
- 92% of your blood is water.
- bones are 22% water
- Muscles are 75% water
- Brain is 75% water
What water does in your body:
- flush out waste
- regulates the body temperature
- carries nutrients and oxygen through your body
- Moistens the air you breathe out
- Protects and cushions vital organs
- Helps you swallow and digest
- Cushions joints

What are signs of dehydration?
- dizziness
- headaches
- thirst (you should never be thirsty)
- dark pee
- irregular peeing habits
- dry throat/mouth
- dry/itchy skin

What are signs of good hydration?
- energy-full
- peeing about every 4 hours (when awake)
- light yellow pee
- never thirsty

Ins and Outs of Water

How do I lose water?
- Urine (and stool), essential to remove waste from the body
- Sweating, to maintain body temperature under extreme stress
- Breathing
You're always "sweating" to a certain level, maybe you won't
have sweat beads or feel wet, but your skin is moist, and as
you know, water evaporates.

How do I take water in?
Just as humans, animals and plants are made up largely of water.
Which means aside from the fluids you take in, you also get
significant amounts of water from foods. For example, meat on
average contains 30%-40% water after cooking.
Vegetables 85%-98% on average
fruits 85-90% on average

On top of that good sources of water are:
- bottled water
- Fresh squeezed juices
- milk
- caffeine free soft drinks
- soups

Bad (or poor) water sources are:
- coffee
- tea
- caffeine containing soft drinks
- alcoholic drinks

Why are these bad? Because the caffeine and alcohol in the
beverages are diuretic, causing the body to lose more water
than it takes in from the beverage.

http://trulyhuge.com

bigironkiller

Banned
Awards
  • Established
What I have also found is that if I down 1-2liters of water before my workout I can lift heavier and longer(stamina). I also dont take water breaks during the workout because I am already fully hydrated. I also believe drinking to much water during workouts is counter productive to strength and stamina, but thats just from my experience.

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
as a general rule consume 1oz per lbs, but if you're training bump that up higher!

MrBigPR

MrBigPR

NutraPlanet Rep
Awards
  • Established
What I have also found is that if I down 1-2liters of water before my workout I can lift heavier and longer(stamina). I also dont take water breaks during the workout because I am already fully hydrated. I also believe drinking to much water during workouts is counter productive to strength and stamina, but thats just from my experience.
The human body can only manage to process 1.5 liters an hour. AN HOUR. you should consume during your workouts to aid in dehydration and muscle cramping. Bad advice.

Water intake for the sedentary-light activity person is usually your bodyweight divided by 2. The more active you are, the more you want to drink.

Water helps your metabolism by burning calories. All actions requiring the preparation of waste requires energy that inturns burns calories. While small, these can be seen in the long run as an aid to weight loss. Walking to the bathroom, and everything in between.

It can also give the sense of feeling full, as well as looking full. You will also feel less incline to eat when sipping on water.

Hope this helps

learn

learn

Awards
  • Established
ok

read this

The Importance Of Water
Find out exactly what you need!

Water is a fundamental part of our lives. It is easy to forget how completely we depend on it. Human survival is dependent on water - water has been ranked by experts as second only to oxygen as essential for life. The water you drink literally becomes you! Since such a large percentage of our bodies is water, water must obviously figure heavily in how our bodies function. We need lots of fresh water to stay healthy. Aside from aiding in digestion and absorption of food, water regulates body temperature, carries nutrients and oxygen to cells, and removes toxins and other wastes. This "body water" also cushions joints and protects tissues and organs, including the spinal cord, from shock and damage. Conversely, lack of water (Dehydration) can be the cause of many ailments.

Water and Weight loss

Among it's other benefits, water plays a major part in weight loss. Since water contains no calories, it can serve as an appetite suppressant, and helps the body metabolize stored fat, it may possibly be one of the most significant factors in losing weight.

Drinking more water helps to reduce water retention by stimulating your kidneys. Studies have recommended that if you are overweight according to average height and weight comparison charts, you should add one glass of water to your daily requirement (of eight glasses) for every 25 pounds over your recommended weight.

Dehydration leads to excess body fat, poor muscle tone & size, decreased digestive efficiency & organ function, increased toxicity, joint & muscle soreness, & water retention. Water works to keep muscles and skin toned.

Digestive Systems

The digestion of solid foods depends on the presence of copious amounts of water. Constipation is a frequent symptom of dehydration. Increased water, along with increased fiber, will usually totally eliminate a problem. Pain from ulcers and heartburn all decrease with increased water intake. Water eliminates toxins and water from the body.

Water Loss

Adults lose nearly 6 pints (12 cups) of water every day. We lose 1/2 cup to 1 cup a day from the soles of our feet. Another 2 to 4 cups is lost from breathing. Perspiration accounts for another 2 cups. Another 3 pints (6 cups) are lost in urine.

Water Retention

If you're not drinking sufficient water, your body starts retaining water to compensate for this shortage. To eliminate fluid retention, drink more water, not less. If you don't drink enough water to maintain your body's fluid balance, you can impair every aspect of your body's physiological function.

Joints

Water lubricates our joints. The cartilage tissues found at the ends of long bones and between the vertebrae of the spine hold a lot of water, which serves as a lubricant during the movement of the joint. Joint pain frequently decreases with increased water intake and flexing exercises to bring more circulation to the joints.

Back

75% of the upper body weight is supported by the water volume that is stored in the spinal disc core. 25% is supported by the fibrous materials around the disc. Back pain is frequently alleviated with hydration.

How much water should you drink?

A non active person needs a half ounce of water per pound of body weight per day. That is ten 8 ounce glasses a day if your weight is 160 pounds. For every 25 pounds you exceed you ideal weight, increase it by one 8 ounce glass. An active, athletic person needs 2/3 ounce per pound which is 13-14 8 ounce glasses a day if you're 160 pounds. The more you exercise the more water you need. Spread out your water intake throughout the day. Do not drink more than 4 glasses within any given hour. After a few weeks your bladder calms down and you will urinate less frequently, but in larger amounts.

cant remember where i found this sorry I cant reff this

bigironkiller

Banned
Awards
  • Established
The human body can only manage to process 1.5 liters an hour. AN HOUR. you should consume during your workouts to aid in dehydration and muscle cramping. Bad advice.

Water intake for the sedentary-light activity person is usually your bodyweight divided by 2. The more active you are, the more you want to drink.

Water helps your metabolism by burning calories. All actions requiring the preparation of waste requires energy that inturns burns calories. While small, these can be seen in the long run as an aid to weight loss. Walking to the bathroom, and everything in between.

It can also give the sense of feeling full, as well as looking full. You will also feel less incline to eat when sipping on water.

Hope this helps
Well I still have to disagree with you on this in my case. I find when I drink watre during workouts I have less strength/stamina and just bad workouts. I consume 1-2L preworkout and 1-2L postworkout. Thats what works for me.

LionKingGod

LionKingGod

Awards
tap water?
safe to drink

what do you think!?!?!

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
That depends where you live! I get all my water at home from my tap but I have a RO systems with 5 filters then i pour the water through my brita... i know its overkill but i can drink this all day it tastes great
At bare minimum you should use a brita filtering system, costco sells them for around $40 i think!

lift or die

Awards
so all in all after reading everyones posts... water is essential for weightlifting...

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
so all in all after reading everyones posts... water is essential for weightlifting...
weightlifting, life on earth, etc. etc.... It's like Ron Burgundy, it's kind of a big deal.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
body weight in ounces when you get to 200+ take as needed

mrSlate

Awards
Im wondering if by drinking large amounts of water that my body loses electrolytes? I have noticed that I get bad calf and feet cramps alot the more water I drink. I consume on average 1 to 1.5 gallons a day. I am low carb so I avoid the typical sports drinks as the sugar content is high. I have tried smart water and that seemed to help some that and just started some taurine too. Oh well will see if that helps calf cramps suck especially at 3 am.

mrSlate

Awards
I use either sea salt or kosher salt never iodized..food just taste better with either of those 2. Well at least I know that too much water isnt the culprit more than likely im missing something in my diet.

Autobody

Awards
I about about a gallon or more. Whenever I take my fish oil (about 4 times a day) I swig a couple of glasses.

margarette29

Awards
We need eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day. Water is sooo important to us because Water is our body's principal chemical component, making up, on average, 60 percent of our body weight. Every system in our body depends on water. For example, water flushes toxins out of vital organs, carries nutrients to your cells and provides a moist environment for ear, nose and throat tissues.

Lack of water can lead to dehydration, a condition that occurs when we don't have enough water in our body to carry out normal functions. Even mild dehydration can drain our energy and make us tired.

Tone

Tone

Awards
  • Established
You should consume half your body weight in OZ of water. so a 200lb man should drink 100oz of water a day. If you are working out, sweating a lot bump that up... if you drink soda, gatorade, coffee, tea... anything with sugar in it... BUMP it up.... sugar and caffeine will actually dehydrate your body so you'll need to drink more water to get it back up there... I deal with this everyday as I am a wellness coach

mrSlate

Awards
Aside from water and the issue of dehydration whats a good way to replenish needed electrolytes?

jimmbow

jimmbow

Awards
interesting tibit...when the government first announced you should drink at least 8 glasses of water a day, they actually said liquid, over time it just got twisted to only water.

But in others news, just drink when your thirsty, your body knows when it needs water. Althetes though, especially ones supplementing, should get no less than 1 gallon really. More wont hurt one bit, you'll just be pissing a lot.

Tone

Tone

Awards
  • Established
interesting tibit...when the government first announced you should drink at least 8 glasses of water a day, they actually said liquid, over time it just got twisted to only water.

But in others news, just drink when your thirsty, your body knows when it needs water. Althetes though, especially ones supplementing, should get no less than 1 gallon really. More wont hurt one bit, you'll just be pissing a lot.
You shouldn't ever be thirsty if your body is getting enough water. Thirst is a sign that you are already dehydrated.

Cinn

Cinn

Awards
You shouldn't ever be thirsty if your body is getting enough water. Thirst is a sign that you are already dehydrated.
Not necessarily. Changes in osmolality of extracellular fluids can cause it.

killfat

killfat

Awards
This whole thread is like "Air?" why do we have to breathe it?