Splenda??

eneyman

eneyman

Awards
Hey all, I have been adding Splenda to my teas/beverages and other stuff the past week or so and have noticed I am getting a bit fat off of it, as if I was consuming regular sugar.. I went on google to search this stuff and it is packed with simple carbs maltodextrin and dextrose and people say a packet of splenda is equal to 2 tsp of regular sugar, any help on this topic would be appreciated. Should I discontinue using this stuff because it seems like it is adding to my belly fat like sugar used to..

Jda777

Jda777

Banned
Awards
Hey all, I have been adding Splenda to my teas/beverages and other stuff the past week or so and have noticed I am getting a bit fat off of it, as if I was consuming regular sugar.. I went on google to search this stuff and it is packed with simple carbs maltodextrin and dextrose and people say a packet of splenda is equal to 2 tsp of regular sugar, any help on this topic would be appreciated. Should I discontinue using this stuff because it seems like it is adding to my belly fat like sugar used to..
I have heard that it can cause weight gain.

I wouldn't view it in the way I do sugar, but would use it sparingly.

eneyman

eneyman

Awards
well you see I got a bulk 2 giant pack of it, not your typical tiny packets and i've been using ALOT of it in tea and drinks, i've noticed my stomach/mid section just looks bloated now and I havn't changed up my diet, I think I am going to discontinue using this stuff.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Some people just have a hard time digesting Malto and Dextrose, so that could be making you bloated. I wouldnt worry about packing on the fat in the past week, because you would have to be using a ton of splenda to make a really noticeable difference.

briancogs888

Awards
People do NOT have a problem digesting maltodextrin or dextrose. Dextrose is the D isomer of glucose. Dextrose is the glucose that your body is designed to use. It is the perfect source of energy. Maltodextrin is a polysaccharide of glucose and is as easily digested as glucose itself. I don't know why it is considered an artificial sweetener, Splenda is mostly sugars. So, yea if you are using a lot, it will increase your calorie intake.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
IIRC Splenda has 10% of the calories of sucrose (table sugar) per volume. I doubt that it is responsible for your weight gain unless you are eating a whole lot of it.

The Myth

Take your baseline blood sugar, then eat 5-10 packets of Splenda (5-10G CARBS WORTH), then take your blood sugar 15-30 minutes later. Repeat this test with plain table sugar, and I GUARANTEE the results will be almost identical!

Splenda is one of, if not THE, biggest marketing scam in history!

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Take your baseline blood sugar, then eat 5-10 packets of Splenda (5-10G CARBS WORTH), then take your blood sugar 15-30 minutes later. Repeat this test with plain table sugar, and I GUARANTEE the results will be almost identical!

That is not a relevant test. As already mentioned, the carbohydrate content in Splenda is maltodextrin which has a 50% higher GI than sucrose. Therefore is will be absorbed into the blood stream faster than sucrose. However, sucrose still has a higher calorie density than splenda. Serving for serving, sucrose will have 10 times the calories and 10x66/99 = 6.7 times the glycemic load as Splenda.

Jda777

Jda777

Banned
Awards
I don't know if it is fact or fiction, as it doesn't apply to my style of dieting, but I have HEARD that splenda can take you out of ketosis.

littlejeni

littlejeni

Awards
I would stick to stevia-based sweetners. They are a fiber derivative so if you use too much it may induce BMs, so use sparingly. Whole foods has Stevia and you can get Truvia from the grocery store (truvia doesn't seem to have a laxative effect). Also, Truvia tastes so much like sugar that you can eat it raw with like strawberrys for example. Not exactly like it, but close enough.

littlejeni

littlejeni

Awards
I remember speaking with one of my customers, an Internal Medicine Doctor, and he was saying that he read some study of how they are finding that Splenda may be crossing the blood-brain barrier. If this is true, I would stop using it just based on that alone. But aside from that, I don't think splenda is going to cause a noticable gain in weight.

SamuraiSid

Awards

I read an article at bb (sorry, no link) in where a scientiffic study determined that artifical sweeteners do in fact spike insulin to the same degree as table sugar. Even at zero calories, the sweetness of splenda tricks your body into releasing insulin.

And as a marketing student, it is my express opinion that the largest marketing scam is diamonds.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I read an article at bb (sorry, no link) in where a scientiffic study determined that artifical sweeteners do in fact spike insulin to the same degree as table sugar. Even at zero calories, the sweetness of splenda tricks your body into releasing insulin.

And as a marketing student, it is my express opinion that the largest marketing scam is diamonds.
Garbage.

Insulin encourages cellular uptake of macronutrients, especially glucose. If your body produces elevated insulin levels without an appropriate influx of nutrients (glucose) into the bloodstream, blood glucose concentrations will drop below baseline and you will become progressively hypoglycemic.

Since there is not an epidemic of hypoglycemia cases wherever zero calorie sweeteners are being used I call that study bogus.

BTW friends don't let friends surf bb...

fieldt76

Awards
well you see I got a bulk 2 giant pack of it, not your typical tiny packets and i've been using ALOT of it in tea and drinks, i've noticed my stomach/mid section just looks bloated now and I havn't changed up my diet, I think I am going to discontinue using this stuff.
Bottom line- If you think this product is adding to your mid section, then greatly reduce or cut it out of your diet all together and see what happens. no big deal...

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
Excellent and simple point. . .
While we can all disagree about the science, in the end it is the mirror and the scale that are the ultimate arbiters of truth here.

briancogs888

Awards
The ingredients in splenda do cross the blood brain barrier because it contains (and breaks down into) GLUCOSE. Glucose is the energy source for the brain.

littlejeni

littlejeni

Awards
The ingredients in splenda do cross the blood brain barrier because it contains (and breaks down into) GLUCOSE. Glucose is the energy source for the brain.
That makes sense to me, I bet my doc wouldn't like it if I put it to him like that. haha

eneyman

eneyman

Awards
well, i've been off of it since posting this thread and have noticed my mid section go back to normal, the stuff was most definitely bloating me and adding on to the flab factor. Mid section is definitely tighter and diet remains same, been eating veggies, meat, oatmeal and fruit and there is a difference since eliminating splenda. I won't be using this crap anymore, cutting sugar and this out completely.

littlejeni

littlejeni

Awards
Like they say...Everything in moderation; however, you may be allergic to it. If you are bloating you may not be digesting it properly. Not a bad idea to stay away from it if you feel that is the sure culprit.

elabor

elabor

Awards
This research turned me off to splenda: evidence that splenda can destroy 50% of the intestinal beneficial bacteria. I believe stevia has a superior safety record.

Splenda alters gut microflora and increases intestinal p-glycoprotein and cytochrome p-450 in male rats.
Abou-Donia MB, El-Masry EM, Abdel-Rahman AA, McLendon RE, Schiffman SS.

Department of Pharmacology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27708, USA.

Splenda is comprised of the high-potency artificial sweetener sucralose (1.1%) and the fillers maltodextrin and glucose. Splenda was administered by oral gavage at 100, 300, 500, or 1000 mg/kg to male Sprague-Dawley rats for 12-wk, during which fecal samples were collected weekly for bacterial analysis and measurement of fecal pH. After 12-wk, half of the animals from each treatment group were sacrificed to determine the intestinal expression of the membrane efflux transporter P-glycoprotein (P-gp) and the cytochrome P-450 (CYP) metabolism system by Western blot. The remaining animals were allowed to recover for an additional 12-wk, and further assessments of fecal microflora, fecal pH, and expression of P-gp and CYP were determined. At the end of the 12-wk treatment period, the numbers of total anaerobes, bifidobacteria, lactobacilli, Bacteroides, clostridia, and total aerobic bacteria were significantly decreased; however, there was no significant treatment effect on enterobacteria. Splenda also increased fecal pH and enhanced the expression of P-gp by 2.43-fold, CYP3A4 by 2.51-fold, and CYP2D1 by 3.49-fold. Following the 12-wk recovery period, only the total anaerobes and bifidobacteria remained significantly depressed, whereas pH values, P-gp, and CYP3A4 and CYP2D1 remained elevated. These changes occurred at Splenda dosages that contained sucralose at 1.1-11 mg/kg (the US FDA Acceptable Daily Intake for sucralose is 5 mg/kg). Evidence indicates that a 12-wk administration of Splenda exerted numerous adverse effects, including (1) reduction in beneficial fecal microflora, (2) increased fecal pH, and (3) enhanced expression levels of P-gp, CYP3A4, and CYP2D1, which are known to limit the bioavailability of orally administered drugs.

Cinn

Cinn

Awards
This research turned me off to splenda: evidence that splenda can destroy 50% of the intestinal beneficial bacteria. I believe stevia has a superior safety record.

Splenda alters gut microflora and increases intestinal p-glycoprotein and cytochrome p-450 in male rats.
Abou-Donia MB, El-Masry EM, Abdel-Rahman AA, McLendon RE, Schiffman SS.

Department of Pharmacology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27708, USA.

Splenda is comprised of the high-potency artificial sweetener sucralose (1.1%) and the fillers maltodextrin and glucose. Splenda was administered by oral gavage at 100, 300, 500, or 1000 mg/kg to male Sprague-Dawley rats for 12-wk, during which fecal samples were collected weekly for bacterial analysis and measurement of fecal pH. After 12-wk, half of the animals from each treatment group were sacrificed to determine the intestinal expression of the membrane efflux transporter P-glycoprotein (P-gp) and the cytochrome P-450 (CYP) metabolism system by Western blot. The remaining animals were allowed to recover for an additional 12-wk, and further assessments of fecal microflora, fecal pH, and expression of P-gp and CYP were determined. At the end of the 12-wk treatment period, the numbers of total anaerobes, bifidobacteria, lactobacilli, Bacteroides, clostridia, and total aerobic bacteria were significantly decreased; however, there was no significant treatment effect on enterobacteria. Splenda also increased fecal pH and enhanced the expression of P-gp by 2.43-fold, CYP3A4 by 2.51-fold, and CYP2D1 by 3.49-fold. Following the 12-wk recovery period, only the total anaerobes and bifidobacteria remained significantly depressed, whereas pH values, P-gp, and CYP3A4 and CYP2D1 remained elevated. These changes occurred at Splenda dosages that contained sucralose at 1.1-11 mg/kg (the US FDA Acceptable Daily Intake for sucralose is 5 mg/kg). Evidence indicates that a 12-wk administration of Splenda exerted numerous adverse effects, including (1) reduction in beneficial fecal microflora, (2) increased fecal pH, and (3) enhanced expression levels of P-gp, CYP3A4, and CYP2D1, which are known to limit the bioavailability of orally administered drugs.
At doses of 100-1000mg/kg as seen in the study, a 150 lbs. person would need to consume 6.8-68g/day.

H8duke

H8duke

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I would stick to stevia-based sweetners. They are a fiber derivative so if you use too much it may induce BMs, so use sparingly. Whole foods has Stevia and you can get Truvia from the grocery store (truvia doesn't seem to have a laxative effect). Also, Truvia tastes so much like sugar that you can eat it raw with like strawberrys for example. Not exactly like it, but close enough.
Good call L.Jeni! After reading a recent study on splenda,I decided to switch to Stevia on your recommendation.Picked up a 100pk. box at Whole Foods for 5.99.I only use a pack a day in my green tea.Well worth it!

SWOLL

Awards
Try sweeting it with 100% all natrual maple syrup! make sure it all natural! it going to be expensive but dont buy that aunt jamimama crap!!!! this is the best sweetner you can have for your body! its way better than sweet n lo, splenda and sugar!!!

elabor

elabor

Awards
Try sweeting it with 100% all natrual maple syrup! make sure it all natural! it going to be expensive but dont buy that aunt jamimama crap!!!! this is the best sweetner you can have for your body! its way better than sweet n lo, splenda and sugar!!!
There is no difference between maple syrup and regular table sugar in the body.

drivehard

drivehard

Awards
  • Established
I have read that there is a difference between Molasis and table sugar though...can anyone confirm or deny?

elabor

elabor

Awards
I have read that there is a difference between Molasis and table sugar though...can anyone confirm or deny?
Unprocessed blackstrap molasses, a thick black type, has a slightly lower glycemic index (GI) compared to table sugar. This just means it takes a little longer for your body to convert to sugar, meaning a slower rise in your blood glucose (BG) levels. For example, legumes have a low GI and take a while to raise BG, whereas rice has a high GI and will get your BG up in a hurry.

As far as being healthier, steady BG levels can help prevent insulin resistance and diabetes, so theoretically the lower GI foods help to do this. The complications arise when you consider that foods only have a specific GI when eaten alone. Any combination with protein, fat, or fiber will slow absorption of whatever food and make the GI of that food much lower. Furthermore, the ripeness of a fruit drastically changes the GI, as does processing of a grain and other factors. So it is an inexact science at best and not really that useful to most people.

If you are interested in low GI sweeteners, I would recommend agave syrup. You can find it in most all supermarkets in the sweetener section, marketed to diabetics to help control blood glucose because of its low GI.

Hope this helps

mrman

Awards
does anyone else get that funny after taste after eating this stuff?