Marijuana/Depression/Serotonin levels

animalkrack3r

Awards
This is just an example of an article I found:
Dosage Alters Marijuana’s Effect on Depression | Health News - Medicine, Diet and Fitness

Anyway, what they say in the article really describes what I am experiencing.
Smoking weed used to be fun, but lately (past 6 months) it seems as I just get more and more depressed each time. I have deep thoughts and I lose all sense of reality. Now the obvious thing to say here, well stop smoking weed... In which I have. But it just seems, throughout the years of taking EC stacks and tons of stims along with smoking weed it seem to have affected my natural serotonin levels and have made me pretty depressed. Anyone that can help or give insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thx.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
5 htp is a natural anti depressant. Another thing people are saying is good is fish oil but I don't think its going to solve your problem as much as the 5 htp.
As far as becoming depressed with marijuana, I found that with age this does start to happen. Some people also get the opposite of munchies over time. But if you feel that gradually slowing down you mari use is not an option and this is more than just an occasional downer type of day then you should go in and talk to a doctor. Depression is treatable and sometimes easier than you think but you should tell your physician.
If none of these are an option then try switching to indica only, instead of sativa strains. Sativa is supposed to keep you from getting tired so you function during the day but those can have a heavy trip effect. Indica is "supposedly" an antidepressant. According to my pot farmacy guy. And instead of taking those giant b-loads just use smaller portions. Believe me... I've been smokin for 16 years.. You really don't need such a giant hit to get high.

animalkrack3r

Awards
How has your high changed throughout the years? or has it at all?

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Probably should talk to a dr.

Years of this can/will effect neurochemistry. I used to smoke a lot, mostly just at night but it was a lot, for years. Smoking a pinner would make me feel better/happier overall, but typically I was smoking 2-3 L's per night. Equivalent of a blunt per day. I quit a few years ago. Now I do cycles of anti-depressants (stablon + deprenyl) and try to focus on nootropics. I had tendencies for depression in the past though.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
The high doesn't change technically. Its your tolerance. You use it everyday or even every other day long enough and it will lose its luster. Its not a good drug for a point in time in your life where you feel like you are in a transitional period.
1. Cut back on usage (days during the week and portion)
2. Cut out the sativas
3. most important if you can, talk to a physician
4. avoid usage on days you already feel bad or troubled

faaipdeoiad

faaipdeoiad

Awards
wow this is pretty crazy ive gone through the same thing myself. i basically get the exact opposite effects now of what i used to, insomnia, loss of appetitie, depression etc. i think the advice above is pretty good, i stopped using bongs altogether, i stick to blunts joints or pipes now when i smoke (which has been decreasing for about a year, i went from every day to maybe twice a month now). i think just using less at a time seems to help also i refrain from just smoking and thinking. as weird as it sounds the more i think the more depressed i get. il just smoke if im gonna watch a movie or something now. i dont think u need antidepressants, u could probably just change how u do it or if u stopped then id think ud balance out in time. didnt take me all that long.

Broodstar

Broodstar

Awards
  • Established
Congrats on quiting the weed. As far as some stuff for depression I find fish oil is great, perhaps take a look at Rhodiola rosea another herb for depression. 5-htp,L-theanine,Phosphatidylserine,St Johns Wort just to name a few but I also suggest seeing a doc. Please don't rely on suplements I know they are a nice tool but sometimes its better to talk with a professional.Good luck hope it gets better.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
wow this is pretty crazy ive gone through the same thing myself. i basically get the exact opposite effects now of what i used to, insomnia, loss of appetitie, depression etc. i think the advice above is pretty good, i stopped using bongs altogether, i stick to blunts joints or pipes now when i smoke (which has been decreasing for about a year, i went from every day to maybe twice a month now). i think just using less at a time seems to help also i refrain from just smoking and thinking. as weird as it sounds the more i think the more depressed i get. il just smoke if im gonna watch a movie or something now. i dont think u need antidepressants, u could probably just change how u do it or if u stopped then id think ud balance out in time. didnt take me all that long.
Yes totally. Insomnia is my biggest deterant to smoking during the work weeks.
Another good point is after a while you do feel normal again once you stopped or quit. They even say some of the short term memory comes back. Not all. And Ginko Baloba can help with that (not at all a cure though)

Dr Liftalot

Dr Liftalot

Awards
  • Established
Some advice, make sure to up your Vit D3 and also as recommended above cycling weed as often as creatine is a great idea.

Sinon

Sinon

Awards
I've smoked for years, and that's never happened bro. Of course I stay away from everything else, and I don't think either, so im not sure.

Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.7; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920

mytime09

mytime09

Awards
animalkrack3r im not sure how old you are bro but ive been experiencing the same thing lately its just not like it used to be. I really thought i was the only one in the world with this problem. I quit for a month to get rid of all the thc for a job, smoked the night after the test and felt like it was my first time all over again. I think when you get that feeling its your body telling you that you need to cut back. It will save you money and when you get blazed once in a while rather than everyday the high will be better. trust.

Sinon

Sinon

Awards
animalkrack3r im not sure how old you are bro but ive been experiencing the same thing lately its just not like it used to be. I really thought i was the only one in the world with this problem. I quit for a month to get rid of all the thc for a job, smoked the night after the test and felt like it was my first time all over again. I think when you get that feeling its your body telling you that you need to cut back. It will save you money and when you get blazed once in a while rather than everyday the high will be better. trust.
What he said.

Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.7; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920

pjmc

Awards
Try Emotional Freedom Technique, its based on Chinese accupuncture and pretty much cleaned me up of anxiety & depression

Download the free manual at www emofree com

MMAMONSTER19

Awards
  • Established
wow man ive been smokin for years and used to be a heavy daily user not its down to maybe once a week being bust with school and all, but anyway bud i would lay off buds let the thc get out of ur system, smoke less and smoke less amount of times during the week, when u do smoke next time try like watching a comedy movie see if it still depresses u even watching a funny movie, but after time has gone on it should go away and ull be back to ur normal self again, take time off and when u come back to mary jane shell get you retarded high and ull be loving it all over again man atleast thats how it was for me when i took a month off for a drug test for my job came back and it was like brand ****n new to me all ova again good luck if all this fails then see your doctor

MikeMagz1013

Awards
I'm a chronic pothead...been one for about 4 years. I do everything im supposed to but i need my weed to calm me down. It is a problem for me, but its hard to kick. Especially when i love using it to lift and play basketball. Pretty much everything I do i do better when i'm high

DavesNotHere

DavesNotHere

Awards
Do you really believe smoking can cause psychosis like the summary of that article states?
I hope you deal with your depression, but it is complex and usu. without simple solutions. It's not a matter of finding that 'one thing' and eliminating it from your life like everybody hopes it is.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I think there's agreement amongst seasoned users that pot is great for stress but bad for depression. I'd say lay off until the source of your depression, whether it's internal or external, is resolved.

spres444

spres444

Awards
  • Established
man thats nuts, i thought i was just going crazy.. I have been smoking for a good 8 years now, and I feel like I have crazy deep thoughts and get kinda depressed..but I have cut down alot to maybe three or four times a a week instead of like 6 blunts a day haha

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
man thats nuts, i thought i was just going crazy.. I have been smoking for a good 8 years now, and I feel like I have crazy deep thoughts and get kinda depressed..but I have cut down alot to maybe three or four times a a week instead of like 6 blunts a day haha
No you're not going crazy. you're just high. :laugh2: