Study: Lots of red meat increases mortality risk

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
CHICAGO – The largest study of its kind finds that older Americans who eat large amounts of red meat and processed meats face a greater risk of death from heart disease and cancer. The federal study of more than half a million men and women bolsters prior evidence of the health risks of diets laden with red meat like hamburger and processed meats like hot dogs, bacon and cold cuts.
Calling the increased risk modest, lead author Rashmi Sinha of the National Cancer Institute said the findings support the advice of several health groups to limit red and processed meat intake to decrease cancer risk.
The findings appear in Monday's Archives of Internal Medicine.
Over 10 years, eating the equivalent of a quarter-pound hamburger daily gave men in the study a 22 percent higher risk of dying of cancer and a 27 percent higher risk of dying of heart disease. That's compared to those who ate the least red meat, just 5 ounces per week.
Women who ate large amounts of red meat had a 20 percent higher risk of dying of cancer and a 50 percent higher risk of dying of heart disease than women who ate less.
For processed meats, the increased risks for large quantities were slightly lower overall than for red meat. The researchers compared deaths in the people with the highest intakes to deaths in people with the lowest to calculate the increased risk.
People whose diets contained more white meat like chicken and fish had lower risks of death.
The researchers surveyed more than 545,000 people, ages 50 to 71 years old, on their eating habits, then followed them for 10 years. There were more than 70,000 deaths during that time.
Study subjects were recruited from AARP members, a group that's healthier than other similarly aged Americans. That means the findings may not apply to all groups, Sinha said. The study relied on people's memory of what they ate, which can be faulty.
In the analysis, the researchers took into account other risk factors such as smoking, family history of cancer and high body mass index.
In an accompanying editorial, Barry Popkin, director of the Interdisciplinary Obesity Center at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, wrote that reducing meat intake would have benefits beyond improved health.
Livestock increase greenhouse gas emissions, contributing to global warming, he wrote, and nations should reevaluate farm subsidies that distort prices and encourage meat-based diets.
"We've promoted a diet that has added excessively to global warming," Popkin said in an interview.
Successfully shifting away from red meat can be as easy as increasing fruits and vegetables in the diet, said Elisabetta Politi of the Duke Diet and Fitness Center in Durham, N.C.
"I'm not saying everybody should turn into vegetarians," Politi said. "Meat should be a supporting actor on the plate, not the main character."
The National Pork Board and National Cattlemen's Beef Association questioned the findings.
Dietitian Ceci Snyder said in a statement for the pork board that the study "attempts to indict all red meat consumption by looking at extremes in meat consumption, as opposed to what most Americans eat."
Lean meat as part of a balanced diet can prevent chronic disease, along with exercise and avoiding smoking, said Shalene McNeill, dietitian for the beef group.

natty texan

natty texan

Awards
  • Established
that sucks.

well i gotta die some day. as long as i die large i'm good.

TexasTitan

TexasTitan

Awards
  • Established
What they dont mention is if you couple that with an increased intake of veggies etc, youll be just fine.

bubbachew

Awards
  • Established
Are these cattle organic, grass fed, hormone free beef or are they injected with hormones eating who knows what? I highly doubt they're organic, but who knows...

And are they referring to ALL read meat? I wonder if they had any studies eating venison.

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
What they dont mention is if you couple that with an increased intake of veggies etc, youll be just fine.
and soft boiled eggs.......hmmmm, and then once you've finished eating you can drink the blood/egg yolk :naughty:

Red meat is good for you, period.

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
It does not apply to lean wild meat, that is for damn sure.I doubt lean red meat either. Processed meats are a whole different ballgame as well. Most processed foods in general are not good for you.

bubbachew

Awards
  • Established
It does not apply to lean wild meat, that is for damn sure.I doubt lean red meat either. Processed meats are a whole different ballgame as well. Most processed foods in general are not good for you.
How do you know?...what are they referring to when they say "red meat" up there then? Just fatty cuts of beef? lol Maybe I'm reading it wrong...

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
How do you know?...what are they referring to when they say "red meat" up there then? Just fatty cuts of beef? lol Maybe I'm reading it wrong...
"The federal study of more than half a million men and women bolsters prior evidence of the health risks of diets laden with red meat like hamburger and processed meats like hot dogs, bacon and cold cuts."

That's what I get when I read that. I can find links to studies about lean red meat especially organic and wild being beneficial as well. I would say its more sodium and saturated fat overload that caused the unhealthy data increases.

bubbachew

Awards
  • Established
"The federal study of more than half a million men and women bolsters prior evidence of the health risks of diets laden with red meat like hamburger and processed meats like hot dogs, bacon and cold cuts."

That's what I get when I read that. I can find links to studies about lean red meat especially organic and wild being beneficial as well. I would say its more sodium and saturated fat overload that caused the unhealthy data increases.
Gotcha. Thanks. I totally agree.

That's an awful title to that study. lol

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10918988

http://www.csiro.au/news/TWD-public-health.html

http://www.mla.com.au/NR/rdonlyres/3AD3B784-CBCB-4F1C-

A7B6-C6C26A7E3750/0/Redmeatandhealthscirenceisonourside.pdf

http://www.themainmeal.com.au/NR/rdonlyres/F843F3C8-29A1-4559-915C-A7C3E6DEF2A7/0/Factsheet1Redmeatdeliversessentialnutrients_99k.pdf

http://sci.tech-archive.net/Archive/sci.med.nutrition/2008-01/msg00098.html

A couple of interesting links. I read some kewl ones in medical and science journals as well. Whats really interesting is that eggs..fried in particular are being found to be good for you as well. There is a study in Canada going on about it.

cmc

cmc

Awards
I posted this a few weeks back:
Some info from one of my resources regarding lean meats:
The USDA figures one of the leanest beef cuts to be double bone sirloin steak.
A 12 oz sirloin, dry broiled and trimmed, yields 6.6 oz of meat, including 1.8 oz of fat. When you exclude the 107 grams of water content (57%) which has 0 calories, the lean meat left is 61 grams. The fat left is 19 grams including 9 grams of saturated fat. Lean meat (protein) is 4 calories per gram, fat is 9 calories per gram..so this works out as:

Fat - 19 grams x 9 calories=171 calories=41%
Protein - 61 grams x 4 calories=244 calories=59%
Total - 415 calories

So...one of the best lean cuts is still 41 % fat. 19.5 % saturated fat. That's way above the government health reccommendations of 30 % total fat, 10% saturated fat. All other cuts of beef are even fattier. Pork is worse.

Note: The book is a few years old so those government recommendations may have changed. Hope this tidbit provides some insight and something to ponder on.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
right I use to eat a pound of lean beef everyday last year. now's its red meat every so often. there is no substute for increases testosterone levels naturally from food than red meat. also agree with the post eat a ton of veggies to help balance it out.

remember most of us(who actually know about nutrition and eat healthy) are way better off than the average American who eats like junk and carries excessive body fat around and doesn't get adequate supply of exercise. so remember its okay to eat red meat for bodybuilding and eat healthy! The more you know about nutrition the better your do in this game.

(and for those who smokes and drink more than three glasses per day forget about it there health is in danger)

In fact I'm going to eat right now either lean beef or go buy a nice big juicy steak on sale at krogers.(with lots of fat)

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
remember most of us(who actually know about nutrition and eat healthy) are way better off than the average American who eats like junk and carries excessive body fat around and doesn't get adequate supply of exercise. so remember its okay to eat red meat for bodybuilding and eat healthy! The more you know about nutrition the better your do in this game.

(and for those who smokes and drink more than three glasses per day forget about it there health is in danger)

In fact I'm going to eat right now either lean beef or go buy a nice big juicy steak on sale at krogers.(with lots of fat)
Preach on brotha lol.

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
I posted this a few weeks back:
Some info from one of my resources regarding lean meats:
The USDA figures one of the leanest beef cuts to be double bone sirloin steak.
A 12 oz sirloin, dry broiled and trimmed, yields 6.6 oz of meat, including 1.8 oz of fat. When you exclude the 107 grams of water content (57%) which has 0 calories, the lean meat left is 61 grams. The fat left is 19 grams including 9 grams of saturated fat. Lean meat (protein) is 4 calories per gram, fat is 9 calories per gram..so this works out as:

Fat - 19 grams x 9 calories=171 calories=41%
Protein - 61 grams x 4 calories=244 calories=59%
Total - 415 calories

So...one of the best lean cuts is still 41 % fat. 19.5 % saturated fat. That's way above the government health reccommendations of 30 % total fat, 10% saturated fat. All other cuts of beef are even fattier. Pork is worse.

Note: The book is a few years old so those government recommendations may have changed. Hope this tidbit provides some insight and something to ponder on.
I wouldn't say that's one of the best.Flank and round cuts are roughly 6.1% fat with the fat being 29% of the total calories.Top sirloin is a better alternative as well with 33% of total calories coming from fat.
The USDA released these as the leanest in beef cuts;"The latest United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Nutrient Database shows that 19 cuts of beef meet government guidelines for "lean," including many of America's favorites like tenderloin, T-bone steak and 95 percent lean ground beef. And, 12 of these beef cuts have, on average, only one more gram -- or less -- of saturated fat than a skinless chicken breast (per 3-ounce serving).The 19 lean cuts, beginning with the leanest, include: eye round roast, top round steak, mock tender steak, bottom round roast, top sirloin steak, round tip roast, 95 percent lean ground beef, brisket (flat half), shank crosscuts, chuck shoulder roast, arm pot roast, shoulder steak, top loin (strip or New York) steak, flank steak, ribeye steak, rib steak, tri-tip roast, tenderloin steak and T-bone steak. These 19 beef cuts meet government guidelines for lean with less than 10 grams of total fat, 4.5 grams or less of saturated fat, and less than 95 milligrams of cholesterol per serving. Beyond lean beef's favorable fat profile, beef is -- and has always been -- a nutrient-rich powerhouse. Just one 3-ounce serving of beef is an excellent source of five essential nutrients: protein, zinc, vitamin B12, selenium and phosphorous. The same serving size is also a good source of four essential nutrients: niacin, vitamin B6, iron and riboflavin.In addition, beef's fat profile is generally misunderstood. Half the fatty acids in a 3-ounce serving of lean beef are monounsaturated fatty acids -- the same heart-healthy kind found in olive oil -- which research shows may have cholesterol-lowering abilities. And, one third of the saturated fat in beef is a unique fatty acid called stearic acid, which has been found to have a neutral or cholesterol-lowering effect."

"Research shows lean beef can play the same role as skinless chicken or fish in a cholesterol-lowering diet," said Dayle Hayes, M.S., R.D., member of the Council for Women's Nutrition Solutions (CWNS). "In addition, beef provides essential nutrients that can have a positive effect on some of today's major health issues like weight management and bone health."

Bear in mind that these are your standard cows.Not free range or organic,which are much leaner and definitely not wild.Buffalo or bison has less fat and calories than skinless light meat chicken.As do Deer and Elk.

natty texan

natty texan

Awards
  • Established
I wouldn't say that's one of the best.Flank and round cuts are roughly 6.1% fat with the fat being 29% of the total calories.Top sirloin is a better alternative as well with 33% of total calories coming from fat.
The USDA released these as the leanest in beef cuts;"The latest United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Nutrient Database shows that 19 cuts of beef meet government guidelines for "lean," including many of America's favorites like tenderloin, T-bone steak and 95 percent lean ground beef. And, 12 of these beef cuts have, on average, only one more gram -- or less -- of saturated fat than a skinless chicken breast (per 3-ounce serving).The 19 lean cuts, beginning with the leanest, include: eye round roast, top round steak, mock tender steak, bottom round roast, top sirloin steak, round tip roast, 95 percent lean ground beef, brisket (flat half), shank crosscuts, chuck shoulder roast, arm pot roast, shoulder steak, top loin (strip or New York) steak, flank steak, ribeye steak, rib steak, tri-tip roast, tenderloin steak and T-bone steak. These 19 beef cuts meet government guidelines for lean with less than 10 grams of total fat, 4.5 grams or less of saturated fat, and less than 95 milligrams of cholesterol per serving. Beyond lean beef's favorable fat profile, beef is -- and has always been -- a nutrient-rich powerhouse. Just one 3-ounce serving of beef is an excellent source of five essential nutrients: protein, zinc, vitamin B12, selenium and phosphorous. The same serving size is also a good source of four essential nutrients: niacin, vitamin B6, iron and riboflavin.In addition, beef's fat profile is generally misunderstood. Half the fatty acids in a 3-ounce serving of lean beef are monounsaturated fatty acids -- the same heart-healthy kind found in olive oil -- which research shows may have cholesterol-lowering abilities. And, one third of the saturated fat in beef is a unique fatty acid called stearic acid, which has been found to have a neutral or cholesterol-lowering effect."

"Research shows lean beef can play the same role as skinless chicken or fish in a cholesterol-lowering diet," said Dayle Hayes, M.S., R.D., member of the Council for Women's Nutrition Solutions (CWNS). "In addition, beef provides essential nutrients that can have a positive effect on some of today's major health issues like weight management and bone health."

Bear in mind that these are your standard cows.Not free range or organic,which are much leaner and definitely not wild.Buffalo or bison has less fat and calories than skinless light meat chicken.As do Deer and Elk.
great read.

those of ya'll from texas, eat long horn beef. it's extremely lean meat. it's a little tougher but if you're trying to cut fat, it's all free range (law of the land)

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
Studies, Shmudies. My grandfather lived to be 90 yrs old and he ate beef, smoked non filter, and drank scotch. My buddy who teaches kenpo, no smoking, tons of veggies, fish, was a hiker, died of cancer at 42. So, wheres the study on why that is. There isnt one because all these studies are so arbitrary, you do the best you can to stay healthy, but the fact is, you may have an anorism. Eat Beef.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Studies, Shmudies. My grandfather lived to be 90 yrs old and he ate beef, smoked non filter, and drank scotch. My buddy who teaches kenpo, no smoking, tons of veggies, fish, was a hiker, died of cancer at 42. So, wheres the study on why that is. There isnt one because all these studies are so arbitrary, you do the best you can to stay healthy, but the fact is, you may have an anorism. Eat Beef.
because every bell curve has its outer ends. For those 2 who it happened that way, thousands happened the other way :)

TexasTitan

TexasTitan

Awards
  • Established
great read.

those of ya'll from texas, eat long horn beef. it's extremely lean meat. it's a little tougher but if you're trying to cut fat, it's all free range (law of the land)
But...but...thats Bevo... :15:

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
Guess im dead at 40 ya'll. I spend like $30-$40 a week JUST on red meat.

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
because every bell curve has its outer ends. For those 2 who it happened that way, thousands happened the other way :)
Yeah i get that, im just saying..... well i dont know what im saying. Eat beef.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, with this study you have to keep in mind it was AARP members, and made no indication of quality of meat, just 1/4 of red meat a day. It could have been a quarter pounder with cheese at mcdonalds every day, and then no doubt they'd have lower lifespan

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, with this study you have to keep in mind it was AARP members, and made no indication of quality of meat, just 1/4 of red meat a day. It could have been a quarter pounder with cheese at mcdonalds every day, and then no doubt they'd have lower lifespan
I just get skeptical about some studies, there are so many of them, they all say something different.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, interpreting the studies takes a lot of effort