fully hydrogenated vegetable oil

cessna

cessna

Awards
my peanut butter comes with this type of oil it is bad to consume this type of oil on a regular basis? thanks in advanced

AllMaxBrian

Awards
Fully Hydrogenated Vegetable does not contain trans fat, but partially-hydrogenated oil does. This is important because manufacturers are allowed to list trans fat as 0 if it has less than .5 grams per serving. Depending on how much you use, this can be very significant.

cessna

cessna

Awards
in my country we dont have natural peanut butter that sucks because i love natty peanut butter ...the one that im eating its "planters" the nutrition facts says no trans fat.....if posible they could be lying about the trans fat content?
sorry for mi inglish

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
you can possibly get a grinder and make your own natty pb

cessna

cessna

Awards
hey thanks for this easyEJL i didnt know this exist especially to make peanut butter, ill get one.
do you know where can i get the recipe to learn how to make peanut butter like the steps to follow and all that?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
pretty much the best stuff comes from raw unroasted peanuts, no additives :) thats the way I prefer it. you can mix in some walnuts, cashews or almonds for a little zing tastewise, or add a little honey and/or salt for flavoring. Its pretty nice solo. If you really want to play with it, you can even add protein powder to it after you've ground it, chocolate goes well.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Fully Hydrogenated Vegetable does not contain trans fat, but partially-hydrogenated oil does. This is important because manufacturers are allowed to list trans fat as 0 if it has less than .5 grams per serving. Depending on how much you use, this can be very significant.
You live up here in Canada though right Brian? WE finally closed that legal loophole, and now any all all TFAs are reported on the label. It's why I see 0.1 and 0.2g of TFAs all the time. The USA might still be behind on that one though.

cessna

cessna

Awards
ok thanks for the help guys.......so if its below .5 grams trans fat they dont tell you?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
in the US they dont have to. What country are you in?

cessna

cessna

Awards
im in el salvador......i just came back i lived 2 years in florida.....but it sucks we dont have natty peanut butter here

AllMaxBrian

Awards
Depending on your labelling regulations. In Canada, any and all trans-fats are labeled but the US may be different as Brian mentioned; possibly if it's <0.5 then can list it as 0.
Yeah, Canada is honest, the US would rather cater to manufacturers than consumers :)

cessna

cessna

Awards
but i have a dought......the nutrition label says:

total fat: 16 g
saturated fat: 3g
trans fat : 0 g
polyunsaturated fat : 5g
monounsaturated fat: 8g

if you add all that gives you 16g total fat
it is still possible that this peanut butter has a little bit of trans fat and they dont listed?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
most countries don't require decimals so it can be rounding.

total fat: 16.3 g
saturated fat: 2.8g
trans fat : .4 g
polyunsaturated fat : 4.9g
monounsaturated fat: 8.2g

would end up the same as your label...

cessna

cessna

Awards
makes sense...to bad we dont have those kind of regulations here

cessna

cessna

Awards
so can i use walnut oil to make my own natural peanut butter?

littlejeni

littlejeni

Awards
sorry to come in on this late, but from my nutrition courses in college the rule was that if Partially Hydrogenated Oils is listed at all in the ingredients then it has to have trans fats in it. If it doesn't list this, then you can be sure that it doesn't contain trans fats.

On a side note, I just bought some natural Cashew Butter made with Raw Brazilian Cashews and Safflower Oil and it was awesome! Sorry, I get excited about the little things in life.

cessna

cessna

Awards
but what about

FULLY hydrogenated or PARTIALLY or just HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OIL does it has trans fat on it?

i say that because my peanut butter says on the front of the bottle no "no trans fat as always per serving"

that natural cashew butter sounds tasty

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
you could add walnut oil yes. And fully hydrogenated has no trans fat, but if it just says "hydrogenated" you dont know if its fully or partly.

littlejeni

littlejeni

Awards
I don't recall ever seeing fully or completely hydrogenated oils as an ingredient. I would just assume that this is their way of saying partially, but don't quote me on that.

AllMaxBrian

Awards
I've seen fully hydrogenated oils listed. If it just says hydrogenated, though, that seems to imply "fully" from a grammatical sense, but I wouldn't bet on it.

packers1200

packers1200

Awards
fully hydrogenated fats are the equivalent of eating shortening. Vegetables don't make saturated fats so they change the oil and saturate it. Pretty bad for the body. If the peanut butter at the store separates it's oils out then it ok.