diet effect on strength.

james1

james1

Banned
Awards
  • Established
If some ones diet (mine) were quite off the past couple days as in like 3 small meals instead of 6 full quality meals, how drastically could this effect my strength in the gym?

redemption79

Awards
  • Established
Not very. IMO any lost strength should return after a solid day of eating. If you were extremely low bf, it may have more of an impact.

james1

james1

Banned
Awards
  • Established
yea I'm around 5.5% bodyfat, seems like a loss or gain of a single lb is a loss or gain of 10lbs on bench its reall weird.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
I have been sick for almost a week now so my caloric intake has been very low compared to what I am use to, I just can't keep food down. I can tell you that my strength in my bench press went down about 20%, while other movements have gone down about 10-15%. The numbers will come back now that I can get sufficient energy intake in, but the acute effects are definitely noticeable and can crush any momentum you had going.

james1

james1

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I have been sick for almost a week now so my caloric intake has been very low compared to what I am use to, I just can't keep food down. I can tell you that my strength in my bench press went down about 20%, while other movements have gone down about 10-15%. The numbers will come back now that I can get sufficient energy intake in, but the acute effects are definitely noticeable and can crush any momentum you had going.
ok good to hear man, was getting worried I took 2 steps backwards. Had a great day of eating today so we will see tomorrow how everything goes. thanks for the help.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Make sure you are properly hydrated as well, this can have an even greater impact on your preformance. I know when some people let there diet start to slip they don't keep up on staying hydrated either.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
The strength loss when dieting is what sucks. Be sure you are mentally prepared if you ever go through it.

redemption79

Awards
  • Established
5.5%, wow. I'm a bit jealous of your problem here bro! I've NEVER been that lean in my life, but I imagine you've had to have lost a fair amount of strength just to get there. I'm guessing you have a compettition soon? IME, even though I don't ever get to 5.5%, my body seems extra responsive when coming off a cut. Depending on how much of a calorie defecit you've been in the last few days, you might have a little increased insulin sensitivity for the next couple days. Take advantage of this by making sure you're well nourished when you work out and maybe you can make up the difference. I know people that do this sort of thing on purpose and look pretty damn impressive.
Best of luck bro.

james1

james1

Banned
Awards
  • Established
yea I'm a track runner, so my body fat always stays under 8%. But I did drop weight so I could compete in a olympic lift competition taken place roughly 3 weeks from now. Not really trying to look good,just want strength. great advice so far, its appreciated fellas

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
this is a funny question. i remember when my diet went to crap (about a year ago), i ran out of energy after my first set, which has never happened before. granted, its only a temporary loss of strength, but its enough to screw up your progress for a week.

james1

james1

Banned
Awards
  • Established
this is a funny question. i remember when my diet went to crap (about a year ago), i ran out of energy after my first set, which has never happened before. granted, its only a temporary loss of strength, but its enough to screw up your progress for a week.
yea thats really ironic, my third set didn't have any problems. 4th set I did like 3 reps and just hit a brick wall. Funny thing was, it wasn't weight that I should have struggled to get 8 with. really shows how important diet is.