Question on Eggs

JKBB44

Awards
I had blood work done about a two months ago and i came up with slightly elevated liver enzymes (not sure of numbers, parents have the blood work). I'm currently cutting and my breakfast is 6 eggs, 4 yolks and 2 pieces of wheat toast with natty pb. My doctor told me that anything more than 2 eggs a week because of fat and cholesterol content. According to him that's 40 more eggs than i'm supposed to eat. Am i missing something?

JKBB44

Awards
*more than 2 eggs a week is too much, sorry for the typo.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Doctor is a tard. That school of thought has been debunked many times in recent years. Heavy fat consumption can elevate liver enzymes, but it is usually from bad fats (e.g. trans, excess sat).

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
darnit, rodja beat me to it.

if your cholesterol + triglycerides were fine, then ignore it. There are so many things that can cause elevated liver #s that its hard to believe. if you worked out within the last 12 hours prior to the blood test, that could have caused it as well

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
darnit, rodja beat me to it.

if your cholesterol + triglycerides were fine, then ignore it. There are so many things that can cause elevated liver #s that its hard to believe. if you worked out within the last 12 hours prior to the blood test, that could have caused it as well
There is also the ever popular false-positive. I remember my ex getting her bloodwork done and her numbers cam back somewhere around 600. She got retested a week later and they were around 55.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
whew, that would be some crapping pants time in between there :D Plus too it is relelvant whether its AST ALT or billirubin. AST or ALT being high alone but bilirubin being normal isn't such a big deal if I remember right. if all 3 are elevated, thats a different story tho :)

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
whew, that would be some crapping pants time in between there :D Plus too it is relelvant whether its AST ALT or billirubin. AST or ALT being high alone but bilirubin being normal isn't such a big deal if I remember right. if all 3 are elevated, thats a different story tho :)
Yeah, it scared the sh!t out of me, especially when the doc started throwing out hepatitis as a possibility.

JKBB44

Awards
i have in it in front of me now. Here it is:
MY SCORES NORMAL RANGE
ALBUMIN 4.7 3.6-5.1
GLOBULIN 2.7 2.1- 3.5
BILIRUBIN, TOTAL .8 .2-1.1
ALKALINE PHOSP 132 48-230
AST 30 12-32
ALT 55 8-45

badfish51581

badfish51581

Awards
  • Established
I had blood work done about a two months ago and i came up with slightly elevated liver enzymes (not sure of numbers, parents have the blood work). I'm currently cutting and my breakfast is 6 eggs, 4 yolks and 2 pieces of wheat toast with natty pb. My doctor told me that anything more than 2 eggs a week because of fat and cholesterol content. According to him that's 40 more eggs than i'm supposed to eat. Am i missing something?
You could start buying the Omega eggs as well...

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yeah, thats not too bad. how long before that was the last prior workout? and how much in protein and fat do you take in a day?

JKBB44

Awards
My lipid panel looks like this
CHOLESTEROL, TOTAL MINE 175 NORM 125-170
HDL, HDL RATIO, LDL CHOL, AND TRIGLYCERIDES were in normal ranges.
TSH, 3RD GENERATION WAS MINE 5.54 NORM .5- 4.30

Should i be concerned?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
no, I wouldn't be. You pretty low bodyfat already? generally an ectomorph?

JKBB44

Awards
yea ide consider myself an ecto. im probably around 10-12% body fat now

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I wouldnt be that worried about the tsh then either. just make sure they check next time for T4 and T3

pinchharmonic

pinchharmonic

Awards
  • Established
i have in it in front of me now. Here it is:
MY SCORES NORMAL RANGE
ALBUMIN 4.7 3.6-5.1
GLOBULIN 2.7 2.1- 3.5
BILIRUBIN, TOTAL .8 .2-1.1
ALKALINE PHOSP 132 48-230
AST 30 12-32
ALT 55 8-45

my AST was above the normal range, my ALT was probably around 70.

there is a huge thread on MD where people that work out have elevated liver enzymes. In fact, some study came out that showed that those same liver enzymes that you have elevated, especially ALT, are higher in healthy people that have worked out recently...

My doctor told me to stop working out for a week before re-test. No way I'm going to do that. i won't take more than 2 days off in a row.

if you are really concerned you can ask the doctor for a different liver test that doesn't involve the blood. I think they can do some kind of biopsy, which is what they'd do anyway, if they repeatedly found your liver enzymes high. i think that biopsy is painful tho!

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
http://www.canada.com/Health/Fried+eggs+decrease+blood+pressure+Study/1344630/story.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinkadvice/4797501/Fried-eggs-could-help-keep-blood-pressure-down.html

Eggs contain cholesterol and high cholesterol levels in our blood increases our risk of heart disease.

However, the cholesterol we get from our food - and this includes eggs - has less effect on the amount of cholesterol in our blood than the amount of saturated fat we eat. If your GP has told you to watch your cholesterol levels, your priority should be cutting down on saturated fats.

"Doctor is a tard. That school of thought has been debunked many times in recent years. Heavy fat consumption can elevate liver enzymes, but it is usually from bad fats (e.g. trans, excess sat)."

And what he said.

Stangtuner

Stangtuner

Awards
How soon was it that you ate before this test?

ANYTHING you eat increases liver enzymes for a time.

Taking an Aspirin increases them too. I'd say you're ok unless it stays at that level for a long while.

MMAMONSTER19

Awards
  • Established
alright now i have a question related is eating between 6-8 eggs a day bad? like side effects cuz my doc told me i eat way too many eggs but i now only get to eat like 2-3 eggs a day compared to my normal 6-8 eggs a day

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
However, the cholesterol we get from our food - and this includes eggs - has less effect on the amount of cholesterol in our blood than the amount of saturated fat we eat. If your GP has told you to watch your cholesterol levels, your priority should be cutting down on saturated fats.
This is what I've learned as :biggthumpup:

Jack of Shadows

Awards
Heavy weight training can also cause increased liver enymes.

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
alright now i have a question related is eating between 6-8 eggs a day bad? like side effects cuz my doc told me i eat way too many eggs but i now only get to eat like 2-3 eggs a day compared to my normal 6-8 eggs a day
I personally eat 6-8 whole eggs a day, I have regular blood work and it is always within normal parameters. Having said that though, you can always test before/after diets (egg/no egg)with blood work yourself to see how your body reacts. You can also switch to just egg whites if it makes you feel more comfortable. :bandit: